• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

Player-3

Smash Hero
this is a serious post.

I challenged the best MK player in my state to a MM tomorrow (tourny)
im gonna use yoshi
who ive used twice
just because i hear hes a MK counter

im going to egg camp, spam bair, and cg to spike him all game

no really, i did challenge him

is there anything else i should know?
besides pivotgrabbing him out of his tornado?

Player-3

Smash Hero
Yeah, cg-to-spike only works at a specific spot on the stage. Otherwise, it's better to upsmash, though you need enough room to do that (about the length you'd need to regrab him). If you cg him all the way to the very edge of the stage, throw him.

For a picture of the sweetspot on FD:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5170600#post5170600
i know that, i always throw at the edge, i know the spacing for the spike

because only time i play yoshi is mk
=p

didnt know about usmash.. so ill use that

Player-3

Smash Hero
When I come back to ATL, I can give you a few pointers if you need be. But it won't happen till march monthly.
lol, i kinda did it for the lulz im not looking to pick up yoshi

i might though, just because hes fun

so well see..

Chaco

Never Logs In
If the Meta is really good, you won't stand a chance just now picking up Yoshi. Not to put you down, but it's the truth.

Also, CG release Upsmash Meta's ***.

Player-3

Smash Hero
If the Meta is really good, you won't stand a chance just now picking up Yoshi. Not to put you down, but it's the truth.

Also, CG release Upsmash Meta's ***.
i dont expect to win

i expect to entertain the crowd

:D

Drakkhonian

Smash Rookie
Ok, sorry again !!!!

One more time I'd like to apologize for creating an off place thread!

I'M VERY VERY SORRY!!!

anyway, let's get tothe point: B-sticking

I've read some of it and I assume it's when you put special in the c-stick...

and now that I think about it it's pretty obvious :bee:

so I'm really an idiot for not realizing that sooner :embarrass

so if I'm mistaken please correct me,

thx and love ya!

nicalobe

Smash Journeyman
Yup, that's what it is. The main characters I see this being used for is Ness and Lucas since they can get an extra boost of movement to help their recoveries. I'm not too sure on the usefulness of it for Yoshi though...

Airborne

Smash Lord
Yup, that's what it is. The main characters I see this being used for is Ness and Lucas since they can get an extra boost of movement to help their recoveries. I'm not too sure on the usefulness of it for Yoshi though...
it does with his downb and quick-cancelling it with the ledge... hard to explain in my words....

Drakkhonian

Smash Rookie
Yeah,

I saw a video once (I think its in the video thread but not too sure) where they used yoshi bomb to ledge grab so fast, that you wouldnt even see the animation...

It looked like he just grabbed the ledge, but the sound was as he used yoshi bomb.
If it's faster then it would seem really useful *edgeguard ***** here* :laugh:

Airborne

Smash Lord
Yeah,

I saw a video once (I think its in the video thread but not too sure) where they used yoshi bomb to ledge grab so fast, that you wouldnt even see the animation...

It looked like he just grabbed the ledge, but the sound was as he used yoshi bomb.
If it's faster then it would seem really useful *edgeguard ***** here* :laugh:
yeah scatz made that video.... i'm going to start experimenting with that though, to see if there is a way to master the method of cancelling the down b WITHOUT b-sticking...... =D

Drakkhonian

Smash Rookie
I think B-sticking should be fine, as that would let me DR with tap jump AND not get double jump wasting with eggs (throw with C-stick)

I still have to see if I can do it with X X A or maybe Y Y A, as it would help a lot.
But can't do anything about it right now.
Broken Brawl sucks....big time...

so I can't really train right now. :ohwell:

anyway, I'm not into the point yet....

I just tryed it with my friend today and I can't seem to ledge grab efficiently.
(bad BAD yoshi):(

So, any tips on the matter?

PS: love ya!:love::yoshi:

Drakkhonian

Smash Rookie
Wait a second...

No advice on the ledge grabbing problem? :veryconfu
(Like where should yoshi be for it to be faster and how uefull it actually is) :cry:

sure sure... I'm a :newbie:

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Tilting has a few differences.

First is a percentage difference. Upward tilts deal +1% while downward tilts deal -1%. Upward tilts have more vertically induced base knockback while downward tilts can be used to prevent sweetspotting or to go through some platforms or edges on stages.

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Wait a second...

No advice on the ledge grabbing problem? :veryconfu
(Like where should yoshi be for it to be faster and how uefull it actually is) :cry:

sure sure... I'm a :newbie:
I'm guessing that by "faster," you mean "without the down-B animation." From what I understand, you need to b-stick in order to do that because you can only hold down-B for a frame. B-sticking lets you do that because the c-stick inputs whatever direction you hit for 1 frame.

I'd say it's useful for when you need to use the double jump to get back to the stage, but where you'd land in a bad position and you'd be safer grabbing the ledge.

Airborne

Smash Lord
I'm guessing that by "faster," you mean "without the down-B animation." From what I understand, you need to b-stick in order to do that because you can only hold down-B for a frame. B-sticking lets you do that because the c-stick inputs whatever direction you hit for 1 frame.

I'd say it's useful for when you need to use the double jump to get back to the stage, but where you'd land in a bad position and you'd be safer grabbing the ledge.
it IS possible to do without b-sticking! i've done it up to 5-7 times in a row. it just takes a lot more timing and you need to somewhat "flick" the analog stick and special button.... i'll get controller shots of the ATs when i get to that part in mah series. =P

Drakkhonian

Smash Rookie
Ok, so with B-sticking i just have to get the timing done without worrying about the stick position being neutral after 1 frame....
If that's right, I only need timing practice now :love::roll:

thanks

bigman40

Smash Master
Ok, so with B-sticking i just have to get the timing done without worrying about the stick position being neutral after 1 frame....
If that's right, I only need timing practice now :love::roll:

thanks
No. When you start the downB (that's when the control sitck is pointing down), on the very next frame, the control stick needs to be at the neutral poistion.

Drakkhonian

Smash Rookie
OOOOOHHHhhhhh!!!!!
Now the whole world makes sense to me.

*looks at the light of the sun brightly shining on the sky*

Cause I wasn't getting in no matter the timing....
still, 1 frame input is quite hard to get down *runs off to practice*

oh, thanks and love ya!!

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
it IS possible to do without b-sticking! i've done it up to 5-7 times in a row. it just takes a lot more timing and you need to somewhat "flick" the analog stick and special button.... i'll get controller shots of the ATs when i get to that part in mah series. =P
That sounds awesome.

Drakkhonian

Smash Rookie
Ok so,

Here I was thinking: "I'm jealous of these guys who have CBR sigs"
And I thought I should ask.

What are the chances of me getting a Chicken Bacon Ranch sig?

Cause thats what cool yoshi's eat.. :pimp:

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: You should PM Lil' B about CBR sigs. They're as good looking as the sandwiches, but not as tasty. D:

In related news, new matchup threads coming out tomorrow. Sorry for the delay; they were supposed to be out yesterday.

Metatitan

Smash Master
:yoshi: You should PM Lil' B about CBR sigs. They're as good looking as the sandwiches, but not as tasty. D:

In related news, new matchup threads coming out tomorrow. Sorry for the delay; they were supposed to be out yesterday.
u better be sorry.... <3

TP

Smash Master
Here's my "question". I'm playing a Yoshi in an online tourney soon (like maybe later today) and I have no experience in the matchup. Will one of you please play me? I live in the Midwest and I'll be using ROB (poor Ganon :(). Thanks.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Shiri:

You told me before that CG Release-Fair-Footstool didn't work. I now have video proof.

It's on a Squirtle, but I have to get Aryman to record it.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Did I? o_0

Good stuff getting it on video regardless. ^__^; Sorry if I may have given you misleading information. >___>

Chaco

Never Logs In
HAHA! Yes, you did. But still I'll get it up once Ary records it.

And it was at a low %, I'm so proud.

Sharky

Smash Master
hover? o.O

Do you, perhaps, mean double jump?

And by super armor, do you mean heavy armor?

If so, then yes. =P

JOE!

Smash Hero
on a related note,

Ive never seen this happen due to DJ's speed/air dodge/etc,

Do special spikes (Knee of Justice, Lightning Kicks. Wolf-a-Port) knock us out of our Double Jump?

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: High knockback moves do not automatically knock Yoshi out of his jump.

They do have a higher chance of doing so at lower percentages than most moves, though.

Top Bottom