• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ohio Circuit - Season I Complete - Full Rankings Inside - $5,890 in Prizes

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
There was supposed to be money set aside for this from what I can remember... I think that fell through... But please explain what you mean by set events... This appears to be run pretty much the same way in terms of events (except the OC isn't struggling to find venues after the first one or two tourneys)... :p

Overswarm

is laughing at you
There was supposed to be money set aside for this from what I can remember... I think that fell through... But please explain what you mean by set events... This appears to be run pretty much the same way in terms of events (except the OC isn't struggling to find venues after the first one or two tourneys)... :p
?

We haven't had our first event yet and we've got two events planned in advance and three venues that are able to host for the next 4 months.

:\

lain

Smash Master
Yeah it's not exactly a circuit if you're not winning anything at the end of it all. Just a bunch of tournament they decided to give the same payout and string them along.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Hey now, this isn't suppose to be some competing circuit with the Midwest Circuit. This is just a fun circuit for Ohio so we can start to get on the same page/get all the TO's to use the same payouts and use tio so we have brackets post-event.

That, and I want everyone to see how to keep things updated. Consistently. And how to make things look pretty. I mean seriously, is there a thread on Smashboards for any circuit that is anywhere close to the sexyness/updatedness of this one?

OS is right in that The Ohio Circuit lacks things that other circuits do - namely taking money out of the pot for a championship event. There will be an Ohio Circuit Championship though, and the points will be used at this event for seeding and possibly for having the top X ranked players already advanced in a Championship Bracket (or something).

Also I do think the points/rankings are helping because it lets people see how they stack up with everyone in the state.

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
Sorry, OS and AZ... I was just having a little fun picking on him... I wasn't trying to start anything... I guess I need to learn to take this kinda stuff to private chat... :laugh:

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
This is for Brawl. Melee has it's own Midwest Circuit already. Jason just wants more money at each event he goes to.

The fact is that running both Melee/Brawl will cost to much for people in a single day. Few people will want to enter both, and as a result, neither tournament would be as good as possible if the event was just dedicated to them. Things will run late. There won't be enough set ups for both. People will want to play Brawl during Melee and Melee during Brawl and every combination in between.

Oh, and Melee players will ***** about how bad Brawl is, while Brawl players won't say a thing about Melee.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Oh, and Melee players will ***** about how bad Brawl is, while Brawl players won't say a thing about Melee.
Woah now...Mr. moderator, please follow the same rules that you enforce on others and leave that bull**** out of the topic. >.>

The Melee players and those of us who play both have been pretty **** tolerant of the sequel if you ask me. I haven't openly heard anything negative come out of the Melee players' mouths. Hell...I've even seen a couple of them become interested in playing Brawl as well, and one of them from watching YOUR Diddy in action. I know you personally don't prefer mixed events but this wasn't necessary to say at all.

P.S. Although I do agree that Jason's motive alone is nowhere near a legit reason to hold mixed events more often. A voting process is the more appropriate thing to do if it comes down to that.

Ballistaboy

Smash Journeyman
Woah now...Mr. moderator, please follow the same rules that you enforce on others and leave that bull**** out of the topic. >.>

The Melee players and those of us who play both have been pretty **** tolerant of the sequel if you ask me. I haven't openly heard anything negative come out of the Melee players' mouths. Hell...I've even seen a couple of them become interested in playing Brawl as well, and one of them from watching YOUR Diddy in action. I know you personally don't prefer mixed events but this wasn't necessary to say at all.

P.S. Although I do agree that Jason's motive alone is nowhere near a legit reason to hold mixed events more often. A voting process is the more appropriate thing to do if it comes down to that.
there has been **** talk in the past.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
there has been **** talk in the past.
And let it remain as such. Whining about it now is just as bad as if they (the supposed Melee arguers) were to initiate an argument. I mean, come on...even a blind man could see that Brawl would have taken some time to garner more and more respect, especially considering the mindset and tactics that some people use to win in this game (time outs, stalling in general, etc.). It takes time for some people to accept and adapt from a "RAH RAH RAH COMBO MOMENTUM TECH SKILL" pace to a "TIT FOR TAT, POKE FOR POKE, LOOK AT THE CLOCK MORE OFTEN" kind of pace. A lot of Melee players weren't going to immediately see what makes this game alright to play competitively, and I was one of them for a time, a VERY stubborn one at that. That's why I don't blame anyone for **** talk that may have occurred in the past. So let's just leave it all there and stop bringing it up. Holding grudges and keeping the community from holding mixed events because of said grudges is childish.

Ballistaboy

Smash Journeyman
And let it remain as such. Whining about it now is just as bad as if they (the supposed Melee arguers) were to initiate an argument. I mean, come on...even a blind man could see that Brawl would have taken some time to garner more and more respect, especially considering the mindset and tactics that some people use to win in this game (time outs, stalling in general, etc.). It takes time for some people to accept and adapt from a "RAH RAH RAH COMBO MOMENTUM TECH SKILL" pace to a "TIT FOR TAT, POKE FOR POKE, LOOK AT THE CLOCK MORE OFTEN" kind of pace. A lot of Melee players weren't going to immediately see what makes this game alright to play competitively, and I was one of them for a time, a VERY stubborn one at that. That's why I don't blame anyone for **** talk that may have occurred in the past. So let's just leave it all there and stop bringing it up. Holding grudges and keeping the community from holding mixed events because of said grudges is childish.
King I like how everything you say seems hypothetical, aha. But i agree it was in the past, melee players understand that the game does take skill, all games take time to show potential.

COHEED AND CAMBRIA

Smash Ace
Coming from me i dont enjoy brawl nearly as much as melee...But i find it interesting in its own aspects of competitive play. I don't see anything wrong with the game and im hosting tournaments now for brawl too. I dont people starting stuff from either side i have friends who play both and i think in the spirit of smash we all should get along and i think we have been. Let people have their preferences.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Coming from me i dont enjoy brawl nearly as much as melee...But i find it interesting in its own aspects of competitive play. I don't see anything wrong with the game and im hosting tournaments now for brawl too. I dont people starting stuff from either side i have friends who play both and i think in the spirit of smash we all should get along and i think we have been. Let people have their preferences.
Or they can be like you and tell their friends "you sold out". Hypocrite. xD

COHEED AND CAMBRIA

Smash Ace
Lol Yes i hated on brawl eddie haha but not no more besides i like to joke with you and ant and lex haha but its ok I guess i sold out too :)

TheKiest

Smash Champion
The term "The Grass is greener on the other side" gets thrown around alot.

And as a Brawl Player I would like to say...

The grass is greener on this side!

/Ensue Flame War

jokey665

Smash Ace
As somebody who played melee since it came out and brawl since it came out, I prefer playing brawl but I prefer watching melee (as long as it isn't spacie vs spacie).

I prefer Brawl+ to both, though.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
I don't enjoy the tech skill barrier to entry that Melee and most traditional fighters have. :[

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
The only complaint I have about Melee is that I lived in Youngstown when it started getting popular, and that area finally woke up and started a scene just a couple months ago... :/

Brawl+ seems interesting though there is so much I want to say about some people with that game that just isn't appropriate or relevant in this thread... :laugh:

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
There is none. LOL. We aren't collecting money to make life easier.

I may give someone a pen or something.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
You could just bold, "...keeping an active tally of tournament records and by ranking players with circuit points."

Overswarm

is laughing at you
AZ, I am seriously impressed with this. I mindgame people all the time, but this is some pretty epic manuevering.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
October 5th, 2009 - All points and prize lists updated with the completion of OC#5 - Steve's Apartment Tournament. Results linked at bottom, brackets to be up soon.

Top Bottom