• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Diddy Social/General/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Googs

Smash Lord
ehhhhhh, I think I can get 1st seed, 2nd seed I think I can more, but I wouldn't say 3rd seed is too farfetch'd. It'll suck if I make one mistake against EE and get gimped at like 20 and lose the set cuz of it, but as long as I'm not dumb then I got dissssss :190:
You won't beat to-joe. I'm sure you can manage 2nd though.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
year and a half is a long time in smash

probably got godlike between now and then

Zinoto

Smash Lord
Does anyone know how to do a rising up b on purpose? I only get it on accident and being able to do it in teams makes saving diddy a lot easier
Yep just made a video about it, I'll post it soon. I've been wondering why people don't do this to recover from Falco's CG --> spike more often. I did it on Shugo and WTP, and it works pretty solidly. Basically jump using x/y and press up-b pretty much simultaneously AFTER you are sent into freefall.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Yep just made a video about it, I'll post it soon. I've been wondering why people don't do this to recover from Falco's CG --> spike more often. I did it on Shugo and WTP, and it works pretty solidly. Basically jump using x/y and press up-b pretty much simultaneously AFTER you are sent into freefall.
i choose to DI onto the stage. Don't like being offstage against falco even if im doing rising upB

Zekeishere

Smash Ace
Hey how do you guys get away from an overaggressive MK similar to Anti's playstyle? Terry and havok kept ****** me yesterday because they'd just run, get me in the air and juggle me from there. Do I just have to play super cautious and set up camp? ._.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Hey how do you guys get away from an overaggressive MK similar to Anti's playstyle? Terry and havok kept ****** me yesterday because they'd just run, get me in the air and juggle me from there. Do I just have to play super cautious and set up camp? ._.
pretty much

and zinoto p1 goes diddy for dittos. I personally hate the ditto...thats what :wario: is for

vato_break

Smash Master
I hate the ditto too but, i've learned what its about. its controlling your bananas, keeping diddy out, and controlling the stay. Learn how to punish dash attack, its hard to punish sometimes. I use snake for diddy(don't have mk anymore :/), snake just needs a few good reads lol

Hall

Smash Ace
Yo Player-1. Can't say I know you too well. I lurk the **** out of these boards but never really post. I just wanted to say that the most important thing about attending your first national is taking it match by match. Don't fret about playing a player 5 matches away and instead put all your focus on to your next opponent. You take too much time looking to the sky you're going to trip up on the rocks in front of you.

When I flew out to Australia for my first international the most important thing I did was have fun. I took the time to absorb everything I wouldn't normally find in my own region then practiced and played with a smile on my face. I took every opponent as seriously as I could and I played with the utmost confidence. A tournament this big is your chance to show everyone just how strong of a player and a person you are. Go in with the utmost confidence in your own personal play style and showcase it to every person in every match. As long as you give it your absolute best you'll do just fine.

Zinoto

Smash Lord
Hi guys :)

Any tips about Rob match-up?
Keep the pressure up, but don't rush in. ROB's spot dodge to dsmash is ridiculously quick so watch for it. He WILL camp you and try and bait something to get your bananas away from you. Move in to a range where your outside his range, but can punish anything he does with projectiles and bait reactions out of him. ROB has a plethora of kill moves (dsmash, nair, fair, bair, usmash, fsmash, etc.) So when you get to high percents (probably 120-130) just play really safe. IMO the matchup is pretty much even, so you're gonna have to simply outplay him/her. I would try and find a ROB player to practice with so you can get a feel for how they play. ROB's recovery is good, so if you're gonna try to contest it so so with caution. The only thing we have that will beat out his nair is our fair (with good spacing), so be careful. Try not to get gimped by a falling bair or something similar when recovering (no need in being a stock behind). Shield those projectiles and stay at that optimal range.

Oh forgot, when you pluck a banana, ROB's love to fire their lasers at you while you're in the animation. Sometimes it's just w/e, but be careful ^_^.

GOOD LUCK AT APEX DIDDY'S!!!

SN: P1 you can take him :yeahboi:

Zinoto

Smash Lord
Can Dair be spaced right to beat nair?
what about z dropping a nana and falling right behind it with the spike?
is the barrels a good counter move against him shooting his beam?
Usually (if you're not just flat out beat by his nair) the best you will get is a trade. At low percents ROB is simply going to comeback (his recovery is broken), but the nana drop thing would probably catch him off guard IF you can manage to get him to recover low enough to put himself into a position like that. In short, I wouldn't hope for it and I wouldn't try it when I'm at high percents either, but it's definitely possible. I would keep knocking him offstage forcing him to use up his recovery (kinda like DDD). Also I'd probably try to get ROB to be above me so I can abuse it. His nair would have to be used early to hit me if I try and juggle him and his dair is pretty slow.

Gnes might have a couple of videos of him playing a ROB somewhere, if you can't find one to play with before you play your pools.

vato_break

Smash Master
what about marth? i only know tidbits of the MU, i still don't know a lot of MU's :(. TL, fox, pit ect. I seem to win by outsmarting my oponents but, im not sure if im choosing the best way to fight them

Sails

Smash Ace
what about marth? i only know tidbits of the MU, i still don't know a lot of MU's :(. TL, fox, pit ect. I seem to win by outsmarting my oponents but, im not sure if im choosing the best way to fight them
Marth: Banana in hand, banana in front of you. Shoot peanuts. Marth can't get past it without very good timing, and the second you see him move you need to stop shooting and start shielding. Marth has two options for approach.

1. A well timed rising FAir that destroys a peanut, picks up the banana, and tries to hit you.

2. Dash in and dash attack.

All you need to do is when you see him move towards you, immediately glide toss downwards, moving Diddy backwards. This will save you from both approaches, as he'll either miss you with the FAir leaving him open (Remember! He has a banana in his hand now! He's not as scary as you in the air with a banana, so his aerial options have now been limited. He has to toss that banana first before he can do much) or dash attack (Picking up the first banana) and trip on the banana you just threw down. They can work around this however, so vary it up a bit. Just don't be predictable and try other things, such as baiting a shield drop or poke with your banana (Aim for the feet!). Marth is a really simple MU. I timed out NEO game 1 in bracket at KTAR6 using this strat, who many have told me might as well be the best Marth out there. He got pretty pissed and went MK though, and beat me after that.

Toon Link: This is a weird matchup. It really depends on the TL you're going against. You can either play it somewhat campy or super aggressive. Watch out for the obvious item spam. This matchup likes to go to time if you both play safe. Don't try and be fancy offstage versus him. Peg him with bananas offstage if possible, it'll hurt his recovery options. I honestly don't have enough experience in the matchup to say much more.

Fox: I have tons of experience in this matchup, read this link for what I just typed up recently.

Pit: Watch out for reflectors, and don't recover low. He outcamps you, so approach slowly. Power shield his arrows, crawl under them. DO NOT GLIDE TOSS BANANAS FORWARDS MOVING DIDDY TOWARDS HIM. My advice would be to glide toss them downwards, moving Diddy towards him to cover his roll behind you. With this you've limited his options. If he rolls behind you he trips. If he tries to dash attack you he trips after hitting you, but at low percents you'll just punish him afterwards. If he tried to predict your glidetoss towards him (And trust me, if you shield for your glidetoss people will on reaction reflect) and reflect it, he's now open for punishment. If he tries to do a risky forward smash, hopefully his short range makes him miss because you spaced it correctly. If he tries anything else, it probably won't hurt very much and will just let you keep on him. Remember that if he uses his UpB off stage and you hit him at any point after the start of it, he can no longer use it until he touches ground again. This means that if he's using UpB and going under the stage, do everything in your power to hit him. Throw a banana at him under the stage, a peanut if you're a pro-shooter, any attack! Just something to try and gimp him. You need the advantage in this MU, and once you have a stock lead he won't be getting through your shield.

Edit: Also! This goes for almost every matchup! If you have momentum and a solid lead, go crazy! People crack under pressure, so if you lay it on thick when the pressure is already getting to them, you have a very good chance to take advantage of them. Start tossing bananas upwards wildly, shooting peanuts and then approaching, random dash attacks and FAirs, hell, running USmash. Throw in some pivot grabs (Try running past a shield happy player and doing a pivot grab, hilarity ensues), some dash dancing, some fun display of tech skill such as platform canceling and ledgehop->pivotPopgun->pullBanana, anything to keep them thinking "OH SHIIIIIIIII-". This alone is what has gotten me past my biggest plateau in skill. Know when to be aggressive, and do it right, it helps tremendously.

Also SideB. Use the hump more, dammit.

AND NOW I AM GOING TO SLEEP SO I CAN WAKE UP IN 5 HOURS AND DRIVE AN HOUR TO A CAR POOL AND THEN WAIT ANOTHER TWO HOURS TO GET TO APEX

AW YEAH

Sails

Smash Ace
Never fell asleep. Even though I spent days fixing my sleep schedule and whatnot, the energy drink I had earlier at work left me lying in bed with energy the entire time :|

Vega4

Smash Ace
@Zinoto, thanks, great tips there.
@Sails, also great tips. You explained the Marth and the Pit match-up in a great way.

All that info should be in the match-up threads.
And I'd like to say that I'm somehow happy. I have used some of those tactics for a long time without knowing if that was the best way of face those match-ups, so Diddy mains kinda think the same way somehow xD (I think I didn't wrote that correctly, but I'm from Latin america, and I'm sleepy xD).

Player-1

Smash Legend
His MK, me and kismet lost to mjg and domo but we didn't have very good synergy yet. We lost to nietono and rain next but game 1 we lost but was really close. Everyone last hit. We won game 2 then kinda got wrecked game 3

:phone:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom