• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~The Olimar Matchup Thread~Review: R.O.B. or someone~

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKD

Smash Lord
For the record, Olimar is Kirby's worst match-up. 7/3 Olimar's favor. Not 6/4. D3, Meta Knight, R.O.B. and such beat him 6/4. Olimar's much harder for Kirby. When well played, Kirby barely has an approach, has to approach, and is KOed earlier.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
70-30 is a stretch, and Oli's not our second worst matchup... ICs and Marth have both of those covered.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Nah, Snake is weird though.
If we don't get him in the air/offstage, we're going to get screwed.... so kind of like Oli in a way, but more punishable.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
I seem to get close to beating robs no matter how good they are, yet i just cant seem to win. in close combat what r the most reliable options when the rob is dtilting and dsmashing.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Okay shouldn't be that much of a problem because you shouldn't really be that close. You have to keep your grabs flowing at all times during this match - up. Mixup shield - grab, standing grab, and pivot grabs. This way they are more pressured to be doing defensive moves than trying to hit you with Dtilt or DSmash.

DSmash though, yeah uit's going to hit you and that's just the facts. because sooner or later they are going to intterupt something you do with DSmash. Just try to Di out and away because unlike APika's Dsmash it sucks you in making it harder to escape earlier.

umm more tips.

Kepp pikmin on him, ROB gets pressured by Pikmin almost as much as D3, so if you can land pikmin on different body parts there isn't one way to get all of the pikmin off. SO they take damage while you beat on them, and what not.

It really helps if you get ROB in the air because they have a REALLY soft underbelly, meaning anytime you can get under them, they are pretty much at your disposal, they have Nair which can be air/side doged(you have to learn the timing) or WAC'd and and then punished apprpriately.

Noa.

Smash Master
Be very careful when offstage against ROB. He gimps better than most characters. Fair and nair work well for him. He might crossup some lasers and gyros onstage as well.

I find it difficult to airdodge his nair, so be ready to use whistle.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Dodging Nair is difficult when you aern't used to the move, normally pewople airdodge, or sidestep Nair when they here the sound and they get punished because when they copme out of the animation, that's when the Nair is usually hitting them.

If i hear the sound(I know rob's sounds really well... ****ing Chibo) i wait a sec before i sidestep. Olimar is actually quick enough to punish him on the ground AND in the air after you sucessfully get around the Nair.

But honestly all rob has to do is hit you with a Fair after your second jump and it's a KO, so you are going to have to do some tricky things to get around it.

¤Vivi Orunitia¤

Smash Apprentice
I don't mean to be random or blunt, but shouldn't someone change the title of this thread to ROB or someone since no one is talking about Falco anymore?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ok, does ROB outcamp Olimar or does Olimar win the camping war?
The ROB boards claim that ROB outcamps Oli. Every match I've played indicated otherwise, though. You gotta stick close to the ground, dash attack through the gyro to pick it up after throwing a pikmin at it, and shield the lasers. Do that and it's pretty easy actually. Then, be sure to set up a tent under a platform and spam your heart away...

edit: I wrote a bit about it in my camping thread. There's a link in the OP of the matchup thread.

Noa.

Smash Master
I knew that Olimar outcamped ROB, just wanted some people to post something.

Basically, Shield or jump over lasers and shield the gyro. If you can, grab the gyro. When ROB approaches, throw the gyro into the air so you give yourself some options. Outcamping ROB isn't difficult.

When ROB gets close, his ftilt, dtilt, fair, nair and jab pose problems. Can we shieldgrab any of these when perfectly spaced? If we can't shieldgrab them what would be a better answer?

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I'm not sure, you probably could shieldrgab his D-tilt when he pushes you away and can't hit you anymore, the same with jab. F-tilt is really long though, I think whites would be able to grab him :/ Don't try to shieldgrab F-air. Often they B-air after it and land behind you as well as hitting you.

Also, grabbing Gyro is hard.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
well if rob has a full charged laser, then he out camps u cause gyro is next, then another laser, basically fully charged laser hurts. Small laser aint so bad, but distance is also a factor, if olimar is far away, rob only needs fully charged gyro, but when we close and we put some short hop into our purple pikmin throw, we outcamp (I play both characters so :p)

Noa.

Smash Master
As long as we camp at our maximum distance and not theirs, we outcamp every character that camps. It'll obviously make no sense to camp where you can't reach ROB but ROB can reach you.

And how does a fully charged laser outcamp us but a small laser doesn't. The differences between the two is only damage and knockback. I don't see how it affect camping.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
he only has 102 posts and has never posted here before, just ignore him

also, if somehow he gets close up, your best bet is to dtilt him, outprioritizes all but dsmash and grab IIRC and sets him up in the air for great combos and retreatign to camp more

Tin Man

Smash Hero
As long as we camp at our maximum distance and not theirs, we outcamp every character that camps. It'll obviously make no sense to camp where you can't reach ROB but ROB can reach you.

And how does a fully charged laser outcamp us but a small laser doesn't. The differences between the two is only damage and knockback. I don't see how it affect camping.
Just adding input, so yeah camping him at our maximum distance is obvious, and getting hit by the full charge laser is hitstun that gives him more time to camp us while we are moving backwards, losing our distance on rob, unlike small laser with not that much knockback, so we can regain our momentum pretty quickly.

he only has 102 posts and has never posted here before, just ignore him
:urg: wow dude just wow

Noa.

Smash Master
What about when ROB is spaced for ftilt and dtilt. Does our dtilt still beat those out? Because if it does, that's great for this matchup.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
it should beat out his dtilt and ftilt, im almost positive is does for ftilt, and it should for dtilt, might wanna test that out though

Noa.

Smash Master
I'll do that now. If this works then I think it gives us a solid advantage in this matchup. I only had trouble with ROB when he got into ftilt/dtilt range.

Ok, from what I can tell from what testing I did, our dtilt always beats there ftilt. When both dtilt hitboxes hit each other, they clank. But since ROB's dtilt is faster than ours by a little, it will stop us before we get out the hitbox.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
:urg: wow dude just wow
Just ignore Dabuz. He's not any good.
/jk <3

Tin Man, just try to read up on some stuff before you actually post. It's nice to lurk around sometimes if you're not 100% sure on what you're about to say. There's no harm in asking questions either.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Just ignore Dabuz. He's not any good.
/jk <3

Tin Man, just try to read up on some stuff before you actually post. It's nice to lurk around sometimes if you're not 100% sure on what you're about to say. There's no harm in asking questions either.
Thank you, i'll take ur advice, sorry guys just wanted to drop my 2 cents in the desiussion

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Don't give him space to take out a nanner, if he does, punish him for doing so and take the nanner. Then use it to grab.

Obviously, this won't work vs ADHD like that, so outspace him a lot and spam Pikmin a lot. I'm not sure if throwing a pikmin stops him from throwing nanners. Also, when he does use Rocket recovery, be sure to jump off and N-air him. Or F-air. Just hit him, purple Pikman does good too. Diddy is an annoying *******, but once you catch onto him he's not hard anymore.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've got a question about Diddy. Can you shieldgrab his dash attack if he follows up with a jab? I haven't looked at the frame data yet. It seems like it would end quickly enough to stop a grab out of shield.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
I've got a question about Diddy. Can you shieldgrab his dash attack if he follows up with a jab? I haven't looked at the frame data yet. It seems like it would end quickly enough to stop a grab out of shield.
i think so...but the timing is really gay

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
your fighting ADHD! good luck, make sure to grab his bannans before he does and throw pkmn while holding the bannana once get it.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
ok...lets discuss some anti diddy tactics...cause i gotta fight AD....HD this weekend...

**Random person dropping by to give some random personal tendencies of the guy you're fighting :laugh: **

One thing I noticed from playing him at Genesis is when you grab his banana often times he will start charging his up-b expecting you to throw it at him. If you hit him in his up-b with a banana the barrels go flying and they do a lot of damage with decent knockback.

So what I did: Right after I picked up his banana, I would bait him into thinking I'm going to throw it back at him immediately (which I'm sure 80% of people do every time they get his banana >_>), but then just sit there for a split second. And if he starts charging his up-b then just sit there longer till his up-b goes off and go to where he's going to land and punish him with a move of your choice. If he doesn't start charging his up-b then just continue to fight him like normal.

Hope that helps some. Anyways, good luck with him. His Diddy is pure ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom