• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~The Olimar Matchup Thread~Review: R.O.B. or someone~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noa.

Smash Master
Oos, means out of shield. If you have tap jump on you can go directly from shield to UpB. This way you don't have the lag from the shield drop.

Weruop

Smash Ace
also, regarding ROB, here is some information id like to give
when u short hop upair
whether it be while doing a d throw combo, or at high percentage, it is ESPECIALLY important in the ROB matchup to follow up with a nair
ROB's rarely jump to get out of Olimar's combos at low percentage. chances are they're going to try to air dodge your upair.( which is possible at once they have a little damage ).in this case, follow thier DI, and sneak ur nair in after ur short hop up air, and follow with an up smash

camp camp camp . usually if they get a kill and theyre at high percentage with a stock lead, they'll stay near the edge with hopes of a grab, back throw, and a gimp. DONT GIVE IN. keep camping them making GREAT use of purple pikmin make sure the purples land. keep ur distance but whena purple is up in line, approach them just a little bit. when u throw the purple, if they shield, u should be able to run up and grab thier shield after the purple hits it. if they dont shield the purple and continue to camp, theyre gunna get knocked off of the edge, in which case u should somewhat start approaching while being aware of being gimped

hm what else.

can we whistle thier nair or bair?
dabuz?

Weruop

Smash Ace
okay dabuz so i think u mean like when a marth jumps and fairs ur shield and is then in the air from his jump, correct?
i guess an upb would surely work. if they short hopped it then it obviously wouldnt though
i personally cant try it because i have tap off for multiple reasons :(

Noa.

Smash Master
A page ago someone said it was possible, just difficult to time.

And when they got offstage, how's the best way to edgeguard/gimp them?

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
also, regarding ROB, here is some information id like to give
when u short hop upair
whether it be while doing a d throw combo, or at high percentage, it is ESPECIALLY important in the ROB matchup to follow up with a nair
ROB's rarely jump to get out of Olimar's combos at low percentage. chances are they're going to try to air dodge your upair.( which is possible at once they have a little damage ).in this case, follow thier DI, and sneak ur nair in after ur short hop up air, and follow with an up smash

camp camp camp . usually if they get a kill and theyre at high percentage with a stock lead, they'll stay near the edge with hopes of a grab, back throw, and a gimp. DONT GIVE IN. keep camping them making GREAT use of purple pikmin make sure the purples land. keep ur distance but whena purple is up in line, approach them just a little bit. when u throw the purple, if they shield, u should be able to run up and grab thier shield after the purple hits it. if they dont shield the purple and continue to camp, theyre gunna get knocked off of the edge, in which case u should somewhat start approaching while being aware of being gimped

hm what else.

can we whistle thier nair or bair?
dabuz?
yes you can, nair is easy to whistle but the timing for whistling a bair is very strict

okay dabuz so i think u mean like when a marth jumps and fairs ur shield and is then in the air from his jump, correct?
i guess an upb would surely work. if they short hopped it then it obviously wouldnt though
i personally cant try it because i have tap off for multiple reasons :(
you kinda get what im saying, but not completely

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I would think the angle on Oli's upb wouldn't be able to hit a Marth with good fairing spacing. I could be wrong.

And yeah, upair->nair is **** against airdodgers.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Angel Reform: Pit boards discussing Olimar matchup

The Angels are discussing (or revising) the Olimar matchup now.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=242326

Because of the other Matchup thread is old, I hope that we can be up to date with the information. That's where I want to start a-new, and etc.
Some info is already provided, but verify it and discuss with the other Pits, and we must be as fair as possible, if that's okay.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
can anyone tell me some good ways to get back to the ground when im high up in the air? my air dodging gets very predictable and whistle just isn't reliable enough/ cause unnecessary damage

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Try b-reversing the whistle to get a small momentum boost in the opposite direction. I find that after I do that, my opponent suddenly becomes more susceptible to back airs for some reason. O_o

Other than that, your only options are to attack, whistle, or airdodge, mixing up between your fast fall and regular fall. It's hard. Oli sucks from above.

Llumys

Smash Champion
I tend to air dodge predictably too, and I'm going to start momentum bouncing too.

Anyway, retreating fairs and advancing bairs tend to be nice mixups when landing.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Try b-reversing the whistle to get a small momentum boost in the opposite direction. I find that after I do that, my opponent suddenly becomes more susceptible to back airs for some reason. O_o

Other than that, your only options are to attack, whistle, or airdodge, mixing up between your fast fall and regular fall. It's hard. Oli sucks from above.
b reversing the whistle for momentum? explanation/ vid please

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
I have a diddy question. When u get his bannana, throw at him, once he trips what move should i use? Should i smash, grab, etc?

Cook

Smash Master
I have a diddy question. When u get his bannana, throw at him, once he trips what move should i use? Should i smash, grab, etc?
Kinda depends on his percentage and what pikmin you have next, ya know? Diddy is fairly susceptible to d-throw combos, so if he is at low percentage then then grab. If he is at kill percentage, up-smash. Or if he is at a mid-percentage, maybe n-air>up-smash. Of course, if you have a white next there is no point in wasting your opportunity unless he's at a SUPER high pecentage, so grab and get in some pummels before throwing. Or if he is at mid-percent, but by the edge, you may want to grab and toss him off to edgeguard him. It really depends on the situation.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
scared to post this , BUT!
it has to do with rob.

you guys can see what not to do in the first two matches.

btw this was grand finals, and after the first two, I didn't lose another.
IDK why, but he had a REALLY! hard time CP'ing me.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Apparently, I'm not good enough to have matchup opinions. Someone good should take over the thread.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
ok which character are we discussing, and are we figuring out the ratios for the matchups cause I have yet to see one for falco and rob and there is already talk of moving to another character.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
I believe the thread is being taken over. So i dont think we're discussing another character in THIS thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom