• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Proving Grounds Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
See a member you want to call attention to? Post here. Generally, make it positive to encourage new members, such as, "we need XXXX in the main room now!" Etc.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Just out of curiosity, for about how long do you think you'll have people be a temp debater before making the decision to make them a full debater or not?

cman

Smash Ace
I've been reading through some of their posts, and many of them make some simple and easily rectified mistakes, like not citing disputable assertions or using unreputable sources (serious grammar issues, look of a 7th grade school project, etc). Would you be willing to allow a small post about the basics of debate/critical thinking/analysis to help the temps out should they need it, or is the proving grounds only to determine whether or not they already have those skills?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I am all for helping the new people out. If you guys want to start a collaborative project where everyone contributes to a "Newbie Manual," I will gladly edit it and post it in the room with your names on it.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
If anyone wants to do this project, PM me/IM me and we'll work on a meeting night to start discussing ideas for this manual. I'd like to make it Wiki-esque to where we have source material, references, etc, and everything is credible.

Aesir

Smash Master
I am all for helping the new people out. If you guys want to start a collaborative project where everyone contributes to a "Newbie Manual," I will gladly edit it and post it in the room with your names on it.
This would be pretty good idea lol.

One manual I think should be "knowing when you're beaten" lol

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
**** yeah!

Also, can any of you people post in the PG?

If so, I have an idea for a contest of sorts. Basically, the DH would select two - four debaters per month to debate in the PG. What this should do, in theory, is force others to move to your level. Most of you are more than capable of teaching people, so this way, you will teach people, act like an *******, and have fun!

Sounds good?

I am tentatively scheduling the Manual meeting for Monday, preferably afternoon. I am hopefully moving this weekend, so we'll have to see how it works. My AIM name is on my profile, so just add me as we get closer and RSVP if you are in.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Hmm, Monday afternoon I will be busy.

I just checked, and I can't post there. But the idea for some debaters to post in there sounds like a cool idea.

cman

Smash Ace
**** yeah!

Also, can any of you people post in the PG?

If so, I have an idea for a contest of sorts. Basically, the DH would select two - four debaters per month to debate in the PG. What this should do, in theory, is force others to move to your level. Most of you are more than capable of teaching people, so this way, you will teach people, act like an *******, and have fun!

Sounds good?

I am tentatively scheduling the Manual meeting for Monday, preferably afternoon. I am hopefully moving this weekend, so we'll have to see how it works. My AIM name is on my profile, so just add me as we get closer and RSVP if you are in.
I can't post in the PG, so I'd assume that most other debaters can't either. AltF4 did, but that's probably because he is a god mod. Would that kill the idea, or can room attributes be modified?

Anyway, I'll certainly help with the debating guide, and I should be available for the meeting thing, but I'll check on that.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The guide will be made into a word document and pasted in the PG.

Time is tentative. I am up for multiple meetings

RDK

Smash Hero
Exactly what time in the afternoon are you going to be available CK?

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
This would be pretty good idea lol.

One manual I think should be "knowing when you're beaten" lol
Hah, I think a lot of debaters (myself included) could use a lesson in that.

Problem is, it's caused more by simple stubborness than it is by any lack of debating skill.

Still, wouldn't hurt to make it a bit easier for new debaters to recognize, and therefore easier to avoid.

Would that kill the idea, or can room attributes be modified?
No need.

One of the DH mods would simply add the volunteers to the Temp Debaters group, enabling them to post in the Proving Grounds. Once they were done, he'd remove them again.

I have a recommendation to make. His name is Vorguen and he made a thread and seems to know how to respond to arguments well.

http://www.smashboards.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=6691840 His thread.
I agree, Vorguen is quite promising, but your link to his topic is totally screwed up.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Well, I was informed this morning that I have plans today. So, we will back it up. Is 7 better for anyone tonight? It won't be a long meeting.

I am saying 7PM central. If you can make it, AIM me (on profile) at about 6:30 so I can start inviting people.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
The OP's in just about all of the proving ground discussions need arguments. They don't take sides. They just say:

"Here is an issue: What do you think?"

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Yeah, I am trying to go ultra-Libertarian to divide them up. In the Tobacco topic, it is working to an extent. People are being challenged, so they take a side, and so forth.

RDK

Smash Hero
We should start discussing possible nom's.

At this point, that Vorguen guy seems the most competent of the bunch. He has my vote.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I could just boot you and you can go through the temp procedure if you rather.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
hahahahaha at being a temp debator because its more exciting.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
You haven't been kicked yet, so that pretty much means that you're above what (most) people are in the Proving Grounds. If you don't like that we don't have that many topics in here, make some. Nobody is stopping you.

Also, Vorguen has my vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom