• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Proving Grounds Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDK

Smash Hero
Because if more people can post in the PG than the actual DH, then naturally everyone is going to swarm to the PG where there's n00bier topics and more discussion.

If everyone is allowed in, what's the point of even having two rooms?

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
I agree with illinialex. I think debaters should have access to the PG. In fact, I was kind of shocked that we weren't.

Vorguen also has my vote. Straked seems like a guy with his head about him, as well. I see him all over the boards.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I agree with illinialex. I think debaters should have access to the PG. In fact, I was kind of shocked that we weren't.

Vorguen also has my vote. Straked seems like a guy with his head about him, as well. I see him all over the boards.
Exactly, I don't want to get kicked here but I think we should have a reserved place for more intelligent discussion while we can contribute to and help judge the people in the PG.

RDK

Smash Hero
Exactly, I don't want to get kicked here but I think we should have a reserved place for more intelligent discussion while we can contribute to and help judge the people in the PG.
I don't think you're understanding why we're not doing that.

If we let everyone and their mother into the PG, then nobody's going to even use the actual DH, and then there's no reason for either of them.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I don't think you're understanding why we're not doing that.

If we let everyone and their mother into the PG, then nobody's going to even use the actual DH, and then there's no reason for either of them.
Oh I will still use the DH. I just think not being able to post in a lower group is kinda ridiculous.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
My vote is for Vorguen.

I think the way we are doing it now is fine, just don't let people have PG duty twice in a row.

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
♥Mhhhmmmm... Straked and Vorguen seem like very good candidates. Narukari seems good too. I like how he directs straying debate back on track and how he cites his sources is also a plus. ;)

~Peachy~

♥Pleased to see you again Junglefever. ;)

♥How will admissions work? A a set of "passed" debaters let into the Debate Hall every week? Maybe admit them on the spot once we find them worthy? It seems to be running smoothly so far, so let's just hope for the best! ^__^

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
mm i think its just sort of on the spot

but weekly would be way too often IMO

Aesir

Smash Master

I agree here Vorguen he seems to keep topics well on topic and doesn't stray for the debate at all.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I really like Straked to get in here. But we have to make this thread private so people in the PG can't see it. Otherwise, they will just change the way they debate until they get in. And I think we should let in like 5 at a time so the DH really becomes more active if we don't get access to the PG. I know in the long term this is the place to be, but lets try to make that time shorter by admitting the most promising quickly.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
5-10?!?! do you see 5 or 10 that are competent enough? i think i've really only seen like 3 or 4 tops.

RDK

Smash Hero
So far Vorguen, Raze, and Straked seem to be the only 3. If there's anyone else, speak up and let them be known before admissions start.

RDK

Smash Hero
Yeah, that's the guy.

Just for the record, I really like the new way of doing things. Being able to interact with and observe the potentials was a great idea.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I don't see any reason for this thread to be private. It's not like we're badmouthing anybody, just offering up our opinions of what we think of various PGers.

I also want to point out Aorist, who I think has had some good posts in there.

~Peachy~

I don't see any reason for this thread to be private. It's not like we're badmouthing anybody, just offering up our opinions of what we think of various PGers.
♥I couldn't agree more. And at least the temporary debaters can see who we've got our eyes on for the admission process. That in turn, will show potential debaters what kind of posts we're looking for. ;)

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
I really like Straked to get in here. But we have to make this thread private so people in the PG can't see it. Otherwise, they will just change the way they debate until they get in. And I think we should let in like 5 at a time so the DH really becomes more active if we don't get access to the PG. I know in the long term this is the place to be, but lets try to make that time shorter by admitting the most promising quickly.
We're not trying to become extremely active, if we wanted a lot of active members, we could just turn this into the pool room. I agree taht 3-4 right now is all we need.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
We're not trying to become extremely active, if we wanted a lot of active members, we could just turn this into the pool room. I agree taht 3-4 right now is all we need.
The pool room is almost pointless (I'm gonna be quoted on this :() but I mean, we could use a fair increase in the amount of discussion. Right now I think 10 new members is good to liven up the boards. 3-4 isn't going to cut it.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
its not like these 3 or 4 are the only 3 or 4 to get in

patience young grasshopper

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Our members of Congress are actually really smart, just not in the realm of economics. >_>
They need to learn WHERE to place all that money.

:093:

RDK

Smash Hero
Like in my back pocket.

****, I should run for Congressman.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
3-4 should give us the jump start we need. Others will come eventually.
Not really because there are a lot, a lot of members in this group. However, most do not post. And many who do post don't post often. I'm assuming the same will be somewhat true of the recruits. I am guessing the will post but some will post only so often.

I am fairly sure some are changing their habits in the Proving Grounds to get in. We need 10.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Like in my back pocket.

****, I should run for Congressman.
Isn't that what the stimulus package is doing? With all of Obama's tax cuts and stuff?
No, what they need is to make it go back INTO the economy instead of sitting in your back pocket. =/

RDK

Smash Hero
Isn't that what the stimulus package is doing? With all of Obama's tax cuts and stuff?
No, what they need is to make it go back INTO the economy instead of sitting in your back pocket. =/

The government has no right to tell me what to do with my money.

Yes, the problem is that people aren't stimulating the economy with their cash; but that's not how we got into the fix we're in now. We got into this because of bad regulation.

In short, if you're going to regulate this part over here, but leave that part over there, then you've already ****ed up, even if you take your hand out of the pot. The effects are going to be felt years down the line.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
We got into this because of no regulation.
Fixed. And the government has the right to tell you what to do with a certain amount of your money or it wouldn't be able to function. Its role should be decided through the election cycle so the people overall choose how much government they want. More services = higher taxes, but its your choice. However, it shouldn't be individual or the system is dead. It should be the country's choice.

RDK

Smash Hero
False. America has never experienced true laissez-faire capitalism (no country has, really), and it probably never will. You need to brush up on your American economy history.

We got into this mess because the government decided to put ridiculous restrictions on the free market.

And the government has the right to tell you what to do with a certain amount of your money or it wouldn't be able to function.
Partly true. In essence, the government is a service; therefore it requires payment. If you choose not to pay for it, then you don't get any of the provided services (I.E., you can leave).

Its role should be decided through the election cycle so the people overall choose how much government they want. More services = higher taxes, but its your choice. However, it shouldn't be individual or the system is dead. It should be the country's choice.
First of all, there's not such thing as "the country". The "public" as people so aptly refer to it is nothing more than a bunch of individuals. This is why there's really no such thing as the silly concept of the "public good". The only public good is ensuring the good of the individual, as long as he is equal to his neighbors.

Second of all, the government has no business telling me what superfluous services I'm going to pay for. The purpose of the government is be to protect my interests as an individual, and nothing more. That's why we need to get rid of this ridiculous idea of "Big Government".

illinialex24

Smash Hero
False. America has never experienced true laissez-faire capitalism (no country has, really), and it probably never will. You need to brush up on your American economy history.

We got into this mess because the government decided to put ridiculous restrictions on the free market.
The issue was we had no nearly enough regulation. Look at the issue. Loaners dispensing huge amounts of money at very low rates where the default rate went too high so the loaners couldn't get their money back. I know my history. It has never had a true free economy, but I was exaggerating. The fact is we had too little.

EDIT: The closest I think I have seen a complete lassez faire system was likely in Britain a long time ago. I personally think there should be some restriction.

Partly true. In essence, the government is a service; therefore it requires payment. If you choose not to pay for it, then you don't get any of the provided services (I.E., you can leave).
Well you are also living on the U.S. Which I would call a service. So leave the country then. If you want to stop paying taxes, go to another country.

First of all, there's not such thing as "the country". The "public" as people so aptly refer to it is nothing more than a bunch of individuals. This is why there's really no such thing as the silly concept of the "public good". The only public good is ensuring the good of the individual, as long as he is equal to his neighbors.
You are arguing over how to define things? Very ridiculous. The public is the people in the United States. The United States is a tougher definition but it is essentially a formal region where people all share a common trait. If you do not want to share that trait, you leave.

Second of all, the government has no business telling me what superfluous services I'm going to pay for. The purpose of the government is be to protect my interests as an individual, and nothing more. That's why we need to get rid of this ridiculous idea of "Big Government".
No, the people in the country have the right of overall telling the government how much they want. If you don't like it, emigrate. No one's keeping you here. I am sure many third world countries would be happy to accept you. I agree that the government goes over the top a lot. However, saying it is all over the top is ridiculous because it is what the majority of the voting public wanted. They voted the people in based on certain ideals. These ideals should be followed by anyone who wants to be in the state.

D

Deleted member

Good stuff, guys. Debate everywhere and anywhere. :p Also, I don't believe Aorist is fit for the DH just yet - someone nominated him. Can I veto? Oh please can I veto?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom