• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ROB Matchup Thread

Vinnie

Smash Master
I'm talking about match-ups that I bother doing lol. I use ICs for G&W, Marth, Olimar, and sometimes Falco, ehh...

I'm not that bad at the ditto lol

Bees!

Smash Ace
Bees! have you ever played a gaw ever? Saying he has poor air control? GaW has some of the best air control in the game.... How am I supposed to take a post seriously when you don't even know the character you're discussing?
Yes I have. One of our best players here from Colorado is a gnw main. He even took a game off of Havok so he isn't that bad either and I was wrong about that(mispoken) either way if you are in the air you have to come down and you have nothing that can cover your landing in terms of range. ROB can just wait you out as you have to land on the ground and like I said about the Up B. ROB can catch up to you with that. If that is your only option for getting away. As for the one thing you picked out of my post...point taken. Now the rest of the points I made. What do you say to them?

Gnes

Smash Master
It's definitely not 'good for g&w'. I lost to six diddies in the month of August :/. It's just my worst match-up!

UTD Zac beat Gnes twice like a month ago!
Zac is the exception to the rule because he's SO GAYYYYY!!!! But seriously its not that bad. Even before he beat me he had already beaten Wyatt when he came down for hobo, and he wasn't even that GREAT then.

:3 Zac

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
What the other ROB have said, 50-50 or 45-50 for G&W on most neutral, only 60-40 on stages like Brinstar and Rainbow Cruise. Rob outrange G&W on the ground with his tilts, he can even counter a predicted bair with a upward angled fsmash which often kill G&W at 130% fresh or you can also jump at the same time as him/a bit before and wall fair him for like 2 hits into ftilt/jab/grab/dsmash so you have a lot of mixup.

When he's at killing % bait G&W into a nair and it should do the trick at 120-130%, bair from ledge kills at 120%. A good trick is when you got a gyro on the ground and you see g&w trying to pick it up stay close and if he fails to pick it up he's gonna get hit by the gyro% so you can get a fsmash/tilts or even dthrow him into the gyro for extra % which can be followed by an upward forward glide toss for another 5-7%( i often do 20-30% with this followup). BTW this work on every character esp fatones, you can also glide toss into something(a lot of possiblity) best one are dsmash/grab/fsmash for a kill.

Just avoid being under G&W by staying on the ground and camping gyros/lasers, read his easily predicted smashes, punish his bair, shieldgrab his dair and you'll be fine in this matchup. The lesser platforms they are, the easier g&w is. FD is ROB best neutral vs G&W( I believe ROB beat G&W 55-45 here), Smashville is 50-50, BF and most other neutrals and Counterpicks are 45-55 in favor of G&W.

My verdict:
55-45 for G&W overall

Bees!

Smash Ace
I think Chibo took over Holy Nightmare's account...lolz
Well nice to hear you weigh in on this Holy.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
G&W can definitely be a handful if you don't really know how to handle him simply because he has annoying movies, hurts us on platforms with nair, and can kill easily with what might seem like hard-to-avoid smashes.

In a nutshell, I believe Holy pretty well summed up the MU. I know he has bucket breaking, but that usually doesn't stop me from killing him somewhat early. I generally find myself most in trouble when I'm above him. If stuck in this situation, I do not try fighting g&w (unless I have a reasonable chance of landing a move...usually at a good angle) and instead enter !!!GTFO!!! mode. What I mean by this is, take refuge to the stage instead of challenging your way down. This can either be by jumping away (ROBs best defensive move imo) and getting to the ledge or perhaps finding an opening back to the stage where you can reset. Either way, regroup yourself. Don't risk taking unnecessary damage.

Not to mention, our beeps are better than his <3

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
as for cp's, wouldnt japes be a top option?
Japes or Pictochat. Japes probally being the better of the two.

We should be using nair more liberally in this matchup so not being of to kill off the top isn't much issue for us anyway. Just watch for sourspot dsmash or fair at the edges of both.

FD also works. We have plenty of options so it'll depend on whats legal and what they decide to ban.

As far as our own ban goes I would get rid of Brinstar or Battlefield.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
brinstar is probably the better option, also castle seige is no longer a legitimate cp here because he can jsut bucket camp our lasers sadly

-LzR-

Smash Hero
The reason Siege is good isn't the laser stuff, it's that you are in a position so good that you can stall the whole transformation. Also, always ban Brinstar, you don't stand a chance there, he is among the best characters in Brinstar. Also he is **** great on RC, but we maybe able fight there.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
but the advantage of that bit is nerfed because against most people you can deal dmage while stalling out the entire transformation, thats the main thing that makes it good because the 1st section is really like brinstar with a solid bottom

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Pit can outcamp us and reflect our projectiles - meaning shutting down our camping game. So we have to be offensive in this MU. The best way is to powershield the arrows and then punish him with Fair or F-tilt. Try to make Pit being in the air so we can rack up some damage, but behold of his Dair, then he can juggle us. I've played this MU myself many times, and one thing that can be annoying is if the Pit is Up-smash happy and spams it (it hits R.O.B. more easliy than you think... stupid base!), it can even juggle and he has great juggling options on us. We are a stupidly huge target for his aerials, not to mention his Bair, so be careful! Shieldgrab his smash-attacks and his aerials.

If Pit's off stage, try to gimp him at any costs, when Pit doen't have his jumps left, depending of situation of course, laser him for a kill or just simply try to hit him with an attack who doesn't send him up, but not the Gyro or Nair. The best move I can come up with is the Fair, but Bair works too thanks to the long lasting hitbox.

From the starter 5, I would strike FD and SV, due to their size. Small stages work well in this matchup, so try something like YI or BF. I don't know which stage I would ban against Pit (maybe Halberd, but I wouldn't), perhaps Final Destination, but I would defenitely CP him to Castle Seige or Frigate Orpheon, but that's just me.

All to all, this is 45:55 R.O.B. due to that our camping game doesn't work very well, he racks up damage easily on us (juggling) and can camp us really good. But try to gimp him, it's hard, but not impossible. The key to success in this MU is to have patience.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
Not familar enough to go into a lot of detail with this match up but he outcamps us. Thats about his only advantage.

We outrange him on the ground AND in the air, kill sooner, and gimp him easier than he can gimp us.

Speed wise, we're about the same.

We want to try to stay at about ftilt range, where we aren't close enough to get hit but too close for him to camp.

From my limited experience I want to say its 55:45 our advantage.

Edit: He doesn't juggle us that hard. It doesn't seem like either side has a big advantage when it comes to dealing damage.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I have problems with Pit. His arrows **** our recovery, punishing our no spotdodge option. :( I've played this MU a few times, but I usually just went in blindly and tried to camp too much and lost. Not enough experience to really get a ratio though. My MU analysis is **** arrows. :)

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I promise you, this MU is defenitely in Pit's favour, not gonna lie.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
lol my set vs koolaid (best pit in the country easily) will be up within the next few days. i wont give a full analysis until they are up.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Thank you for your help ccst, now I am sure I can beat every Pit in the world when I know that trick you told us.

Spin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
spinpai
shoot him with a lazer when he uses up b offa stage, and lol as he falls to his death =]]]

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Thank you for your help ccst, now I am sure I can beat every Pit in the world when I know that trick you told us.
Okay, next time I won't be writing anything, and to speak of that, you don't bring up something good because you suck and yet you're complaining? Go die you cretin.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I mean this is the type of a thread where serious discussion happens, if it doesn't help, it's as much as spam.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
The Pit MU is lame. It's kinda like the mario MU, where his smashes are super hard to punish. But on the bright side, it's possible to totally shut his game down by WoPing him with fairs/bairs. Arrows keep us from camping, but our lasers keep him from camping. Avoid Bair at all costs, while Pit has few kill options bair has ridiculous KO power when it sweetspots. But don't always expect bair when they jump toward you, it might be a mindgame to force you to shield and grab when they land. Avoid rolling behind pit, Dsmash punishes rolls pretty hard. Don't get baited by Fsmash, it's really hard to punish. When we get knocked up, we should be running away up, it's really hard to beat his Uair when we are above. Also he gets two types of reflectors, which he will be itching to take advantage of. Use this to gyro cancel in his face and grab/fsmash him when he side/down Bs.

TheMike

Smash Lord
Who wants to take this thread's ownership? I'll only work on the directory and video threads.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
if i get my purple name from the bbr application, then ill take over it for you, people dont seem to listen to anyone unles you got a red/purple name (and whatever the admins have)

TeeVee

Smash Lord
me vs koola1d (best pit in the country) from about 3 weeks ago, winners semis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tJW_YVsKwI

the matchup is 55 - 45 pits favor imo. both characters have a hard time killing, the only thing you need to be worried about from pit is his back air.

use up air ALOT ALOT ALOT in this matchup. everytime he lands on the ground, grab him and f throw him then follow up.

best way to kill is get a bair/nair when hes coming up from the ledge or go for a gimp.

mix up your lazer/gyro game to keep him guessing and if you get lucky they will throw out mirror shield and you can punish hard.

do not try to outcamp...also dont try to punish his glide attack. punish the d smash (almost all pits do it) right after the glide attack.

DONT GET HIT BY BAIR AND YOU WIN.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
Can't they fsmash OoS for kills as well?

Teevee I can't recall seeing you cancel arrows with fair at all. Is there any reason for that? Didn't seem like he was angling them to get past fair.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
its better imo to just perfect shield them and f tilt/fair oos when you are close enough

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
I meant when you were returning to the stage or just in the air. The air dodges worked, although I could see it being a pain once you're forced into upb.

Top Bottom