• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ROB Matchup Thread

Heartstring

Smash Legend
netherlands=/=Uk, america needs to learn this XD
i can imaginr our ability to camp is severely nerfed by the bucket of doom, of course all they have to do to catch our laser is to look at r.o.b and see when he leans back.
but the one thing that i think ruins us is when we try to get back to the ground from above, his u-air can constantly force us into the air and make us land is a place we dont want to, a.k.a once he throws us into the air, we're going to a take little bit of damage till we get back down again.
but on the other hadn, G&W has a very (excuse the pun) 2 dimensional metagame and if you learn to avoid the loved d-throw>d-smash/tilt combo then youregoing to save yourself a fair bit of damage (you can tech the dthrow to avoid dtilt, and you can jsut roll away to avoid dsmash)
i cant say much else

sneakytako

Smash Lord
G.W. generally bairs when hes above you, Nairs when he's below you. Challanging his nair from above is generally a bad idea, so don't land close to him imo. Nair is your best friend in this MU. I find bair easier to beat with nair than with Fsmash/Ftilt. If he full hop bairs, shield the first bair and roll behind him during the second bair, you should be safe but it's probably not safe to try to punish with anything other than a ftilt. If he SH bairs, SH nair him back, we win if we are diagonally above him. The Dthrow mindgame is pretty rough, if he reads the techroll he can upsmash us, and that kills mad early. I find it best to mix up techrolling, teching in place, and not teching and landing behind him. His Dtilt is pretty brutal, it's pretty much a mix of our ftilt and dtilt. Punish with SH nair. You should really never eat Fairs, it comes out pretty slowly and the sweetspot is rather short duration.

Grounded gryo is really good in this MU, it acts as a landmine as he's trying to space bairs. If he gets hit by a spinning gryo, try to follow it up with Nair, Fair, Ftilt, etc. We can out camp him/out space him but if we get complacent and allow him to shield pressure us he's going to get a read and hit us with one his spectacular smashes.

Overall I'd say we have a slight disadvantage due to his awesome KO power/Shield pressure, but if you play the MU correctly then you should have no problem killing GW. 45:55 ROB.

Oh yeah and try to read his bucket breaking when he flies horizontally, if you laser right as he's lowering his bucket it's a win. Even if the laser doesn't hit him, he will be forced to airdodge at a low plane, making it easy to gimp him/Edgehog him.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
It's pretty hard for him to get in to use that kill power if you consistently retreat with aerials or even use gyro to camp. Even if he steals the gyro it removes his smashes and aerials which is where his kills are going to come from.

He shouldn't be bucketing too many lasers if you're mixing them up to disrupt him from approaching.

netherlands=/=Uk, america needs to learn this XD
Wasn't quite sure where kaak lived to begin with, my bad :laugh:

Edit: Seen no mention of stages yet. GW doesn't really have anything that can cripple him, his worst stage being FD and its almost a sure ban. On more dynamic stagelists I would be careful because he seems to benefit from them way more than we do.

If its legal I would try to get him to Japes since we should be using nair to counter his own attacks anyway rather than kill and most of his kills are off the top so its alleviated by the high ceiling. The things to watch out for would be sourspotted dsmash, fair, and ftilt as the main killers. The downside though is that his bucket braking on this stage is a bit insane and he can shark from under these platforms with nair and uair. Pictochat would also come to mind as a decent pick.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
FD isn't inherently a bad stage for Game & Watch, though banning it against R.O.B. is probably a good idea.

It's slightly in Game & Watch's favor, as his disjointed moves are irritating for you. However, you easily beat us on the ground. Laser is annoying as well.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You're crazy if you think ROB does well in this matchup.

The main thing I will say for ROB though is that this matchup is extremely tedious for G&W though, partly because people don't practice powershielding and item catching enough, but I would say at least 6/4 - 65/35 in G&W's favor. If ROB could CP something like Luigi's Mansion, he wins on that stage, but otherwise 6/4 on the worst neutral and YI, 65/35 on G&W's better stages.

Two things make this matchup extremely bad for ROB. His horrible shield, and how easily he gets juggled. That's the obvious bad part of the matchup that ROB has next to no control in. Generally speaking he wants to avoid direct contact with G&W at all costs, since letting G&W get close is quite unaffordable.

And no just because you can tech G&W's D-throw doesn't mean he has no good followups after it. He can definitely techchase regrab ROB or techchase into F-air or Dash attack, all followups that can do great damage and put ROB in a bad position.

I laugh at all the people who suggest that punishing G&W's B-air approach is easy. It's as if G&W users still think that B-air is their best approach. He can shield poke you with that move alright, but it's far from his best approach. Your opponent is doing it wrong if they're approaching with B-air the majority of the time. G&W gets much better results fullhopping F-airs, especially since ROB has a poor vertical spacing game.

On Battlefield, I don't think I have to tell you it's bad for ROB. Keep in mind G&W is capable of D-tilting ROB from above while standing on the platform. It's especially useful in edgetrapping, though probably not neccessary since ROB's edge game is terrible.

Honestly it really sounds like nobody understands how this matchup is supposed to work.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
FD isn't inherently a bad stage for Game & Watch, though banning it against R.O.B. is probably a good idea.

It's slightly in Game & Watch's favor, as his disjointed moves are irritating for you. However, you easily beat us on the ground. Laser is annoying as well.
Hey look a GW player!

FD isn't really a bad stage but its still one one his worst. The exception being that the lack of platforms allows him to abuse peoples freefall (well any fall really) with his uair but that also reduces some of his juggling game.

Still of the opinion that its equal or slight advantage to either side.

And no, bair isn't an approach, he is going to use it to poke at you and space. Also, BF is no doubt the worst neutral in this matchup and one of the better cps he has.

@ A2Z... suggesting that it could be 35:65 is insane. That's implying that its ranked up there along MK as our worst matchup

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
i don't have much ROB experience but 4-6 sounds reasonable. It's probably like 3:7 if you have no(Good) G&W experience lol

any mistake made by rob in this match up pretty much results in 30-40 damage lol

G&W can kill ROB at a pretty decent % and unless you land an usmash, rob wont be killing G&W any time soon, 140 -150%ish. Offstage it's just horrible for you guys against G&W lol;/,we have so many options.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i think rob wins personally
gaws kill moves are all telegraphed. fair is the only dangerous one.

stay grounded and make gaw approach. fsmash if he bairs, shield if he stays grounded. if he FH fairs then just wait for him to fall and punish. half the time they dair lol if they dair your shield its a free dsmash.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I'm actually agreeing with A2ZOMG and PentaSalia... This is defenitely one of R.O.B.'s worst MUs, the correct ratio would be 40:60 to R.O.B..
And sorry I forgot the stages, ban Battlefield for sure or any other platform stage. I'm suggesting you to take him to Final Destination, but if he's banning it, pick either Castle Seige or Halberd.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
i don't have much ROB experience but 4-6 sounds reasonable. It's probably like 3:7 if you have no(Good) G&W experience lol

any mistake made by rob in this match up pretty much results in 30-40 damage lol

G&W can kill ROB at a pretty decent % and unless you land an usmash, rob wont be killing G&W any time soon, 140 -150%ish. Offstage it's just horrible for you guys against G&W lol;/,we have so many options.
ROB shouldn't be getting hit by a kill move unless he messes up hard... everyone is assuming that gw is already in on or under ROB it seems like and are ignoring how hard it is to get there in the first place.

ROB can mess with GW more than most of the cast with his recovery as well.

i think rob wins personally
gaws kill moves are all telegraphed. fair is the only dangerous one.

stay grounded and make gaw approach. fsmash if he bairs, shield if he stays grounded. if he FH fairs then just wait for him to fall and punish. half the time they dair lol if they dair your shield its a free dsmash.
I wouldn't call it a ROB win (only 55:45 if so) right off but there is no way its worse than 45:55. Gyro is one of ROBs most important tools here to force that approach and add an element of stage control if its grounded. Even if GW grabs it (which is a pain for him to do) it just limits his own options until he gets rid of it.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
it doesn't have to be smashes,fair and Dair still kill him at good percentages lol.

ROB can mess with GW more than most of the cast with his recovery as well.
Don't get it

I wouldn't call it a ROB win (only 55:45 if so) right off but there is no way its worse than 45:55. Gyro is one of ROBs most important tools here to force that approach and add an element of stage control if its grounded. Even if GW grabs it (which is a pain for him to do) it just limits his own options until he gets rid of it.

ROB can't force G&W to approach lol. His projectiles aren't that hard to avoid with G&W's great mobility in the air .

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I'm actually agreeing with A2ZOMG and PentaSalia... This is defenitely one of R.O.B.'s worst MUs, the correct ratio would be 40:60 to R.O.B..
And sorry I forgot the stages, ban Battlefield for sure or any other platform stage. I'm suggesting you to take him to Final Destination, but if he's banning it, pick either Castle Seige or Halberd.
Some better arguments or just 08 bias?
His fearsome turtle is only a shadow of what it used to be.
Our ftilt beats about everything he can do in the air and his smashes are hard to land if you try to avoid them. Also, learn to tech the dthrow, it's so sad easy.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
it doesn't have to be smashes,fair and Dair still kill him at good percentages lol.

Don't get it

ROB can't force G&W to approach lol. His projectiles aren't that hard to avoid with G&W's great mobility in the air .
Fresh dair kills at like.. 130 or higher...

ROB has a good enough recovery he can pester GW offstage better than a majority of the cast. Enough to gimp him. GW can also do the same to ROB.

Dthrow isn't even the throw you should worry about. Uthrow leads to juggles.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
^^^ LOL!!!!! Our options in the air are vast... UpB avoids all conflict completely, and dair/slowfall dair mixups make for interesting approaches. If I can camp snake for 8 minutes, I can camp ROB easily. If GaW has a >40% lead, then I'd say we'll never have to approach, or at least we can stall for a really long time, probably longer than it's worth for you guys.

ROB can't **** with GaW's recovery... The only way he can is if he grabs the ledge and punishes landing, which everyone does already, and ROB doesn't have the greatest punish for that.

"GaW's smashes are telegraphed..... GaW is so linear..... GaW is so precitable" blah blah blah. Getting you into the air = potential usmash. If we read the air dodge properly you can bet you're dying at 80-90 (w.e it is), while we'll be living to 130+.

60-40 - 70-30 GaW (stage dependent)

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
^^^ LOL!!!!! Our options in the air are vast... UpB avoids all conflict completely, and dair/slowfall dair mixups make for interesting approaches. If I can camp snake for 8 minutes, I can camp ROB easily. If GaW has a >40% lead, then I'd say we'll never have to approach, or at least we can stall for a really long time, probably longer than it's worth for you guys.

ROB can't **** with GaW's recovery... The only way he can is if he grabs the ledge and punishes landing, which everyone does already, and ROB doesn't have the greatest punish for that.

"GaW's smashes are telegraphed..... GaW is so linear..... GaW is so precitable" blah blah blah. Getting you into the air = potential usmash. If we read the air dodge properly you can bet you're dying at 80-90 (w.e it is), while we'll be living to 130+.

Dair approaches should be punished.

Snake can't get his nades around as well as our laser/gyro.

If ROB is airdodging to the ground then he doesn't know the matchup. GW smashes are telegraphed... >_>

and for it being 6:4-7:3... no. That would be our worst matchup out of anyone.

I'm done with the nonsense here, I've made my points and they've been largely ignored.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Fresh dair kills at like.. 130 or higher...

ROB has a good enough recovery he can pester GW offstage better than a majority of the cast. Enough to gimp him. GW can also do the same to ROB.

Dthrow isn't even the throw you should worry about. Uthrow leads to juggles.
if MK can't gimp G&W,ROB has no chance of it lol

everyone who has posted about the match up so far as just spouted 08 bias opinions about G&W,
"G&W relies on bair, predict his bair,shield dair then grab, he can't approach, G&W smashes are bad" and so on lol

that's what most G&W match up threads are filled with because there are very few people that have actually fought a good G&W lol.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
What most people don't realize is that GaW doesn't approach, he just pretends to. Dair approaches will only be punished if they are actually approaches.

**** I hate character boards...

Zwarm

Smash Hero
ITT: G&W's mad about their character.

Personally, I hate the G&W MU. I can deal with overly aggressive G&W's, but I have a hard time dealing with the patient/campy G&W's. Every time I start to feel comfortable during my matches against him, I get 9 hammered or something stupid like that.

Also, it's possible to gimp G&W, just usually very hard. If the G&W is being obvious with their recoveries, I like to drop down and bair before they use up B, and the lasting hitbox of bair usually hits. Works really well on stages with ledges like FD or PS1.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
MK gimping is different then ROBs, most of our attacks linger and have better range. I've discovered that Upair is one of the best ways to gimp chars like G&W, if we approach from below off the stage while he's trying to recover. I agree with Cubone about everything except Dthrow, teching doesn't autowin against dthrow. You just have to be smart about the guessing game of dthrow.

And penta, I'll flip the arguement around, have many G&Ws played good ROBs? I've played Lou and Today from Ohio, and have tourny wins against both. Well maybe not against today, but I play friendlies with her all the time.

We shouldn't be running into smashes, but it does occur when the G&W makes a good read on our spotdodge/roll etc. I'd say he has a far harder time killing us then we do. And ROB's shield is terrible, but it doesn't really affect this MU as much as you might think. We shouldn't be shielding double Bairs, and you shouldn't be poking our shield from above if we remember to tilt our shield up, it's super easy since Bair lasts forever against shield XD.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
i know Vinnie has beaten chibo twice at tourney and he says it's 4:6 lol.

edit: but anyway sorry about the rant V_V,but nobody else goes to these these match up threads when they're posted on our boards lmao. Also chilllll Alphi LOL.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Btw, I guess I've technically never played a well known G&W, but I've played Arty, who's a well known player with a really good dubs G&W that he'll use on and off in friendlies. Just sayin. :p

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
I agree with Cubone about everything except Dthrow, teching doesn't autowin against dthrow. You just have to be smart about the guessing game of dthrow.
Did I say that teching autowins vs it? If I did thats an honest mistake, I know how rewarding GWs techchase can be.

Dthrow isn't the throw that worries me as much as uthrow however. Uthrow puts us above him and lets him start his juggling game. Both of them are good in this matchup.

Bees!

Smash Ace
^^^ LOL!!!!! Our options in the air are vast... UpB avoids all conflict completely,
Perhaps temporarily but not completely...ROB has one of the best vertical distance on his FH and DJ in the game so catching up to gnw after upB is pretty easy. Besides gnw has pretty poor air control and not too many options with range in the air or after using UpB that aren't easy to see coming a mile a way. Also you know the saying; what goes up...

and dair/slowfall dair mixups make for interesting approaches.
Yes sir please approach with a move that requires you to be in range of ROBs most powerful smash attack that would be much appreciated. Especially if a slowfall is read. Also ROBs utilt and uAir make for you there problems there. Or fAir from the side. Especially if the only option to approach you offer is a single move with some timing difference in how fast you fall with it

If I can camp snake for 8 minutes, I can camp ROB easily. If GaW has a >40% lead, then I'd say we'll never have to approach, or at least we can stall for a really long time, probably longer than it's worth for you guys.
This might be true in some cases except that ROB can do a little more in the air than Snake. Also gnw has to land on the ground at some point and then it becomes a guessing game. And with no way to mix it up in the air that would get you to the ground safe... >.>

ROB has bAir and fAir from the ledge which are amazing. fAir beats out shuttle loop if spaced right and puts out a decent lasting hit box. Also if ROB is on the ledge and ledgefalls>fAir it is a potential stage spike on characters that recover vertically. Bair also works for that reason. Characters like Marth, Luigi, Mario, ICs, Peach. All can be punished by this. Its pretty much if you don't take ROB into account and simply go for the ledge you will get fAir or bAir depending on where you are at off stage. And if you land on stage you still recieve a fAir, nAir or Gyro. Either way, gnw recovering isn't a cake walk for either party.

Well lets look at this.. if the only way you can land that uSmash is if we air dodge to the ground, a simple change can prevent you from ever getting a kill. and as for reading the air dodge, that can be done with any character. In no way does that add to your advantage as its a general tactic applied to everyone that doesn't have to do with your character ****ing up something my character does exclusively. Also with ROBs wbgc and bAirs. ROB can make it to the ground much easier than in the past. As for fSmash. You have no reliable way of getting that off. dSmash can be avoided as well. Considering ROB has fAir, fTilt, dtilt, gyro, bAir and pivot grab...we really mess with your approach and also out-range you on the ground.

50-50 even 55-45 at worst.
B
Banning Brinstar, there is no place you could really take ROB to have a 70-30 advantage.

i know Vinnie has beaten chibo twice at tourney and he says it's 4:6 lol.
This proves nothing in the way of MUs. Especially if the top player for a character is the one who does the best at the MK MU. (Which Chibo is godly at) He also might not be good at the gnw MU. To many factors arise when dealing with player specifics as that players are often at different skill levels as well. We should take it on a character base level and take it as both players are at equal skill. Because we all know that the player with more skill out players his opponent to a degree(that degree being the MU ratio). That shouldn't even be a factor.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
Bees I agree with you for the most part but GW does have one of the better airspeeds in the game.

and his aerials are good options except we can space a nair around all of them iirc.

Random tidbit. The year old japanese mu chart has it as an even matchup.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Perhaps however like Luigi he lacks range on most of his aerials and the ones that he has range on are easy to beat out because they are slow or last a while.(the first part is unlike luigi)
bAir is easy to punish. dAir is easy to get around as well or just let him dAir to the ground where you beat him out with everything. and fAir should be for kill moves if he uses it up as a gtfo move he wont be able to kill us as well. Especially because ROB is a mid heavy weight.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Some better arguments or just 08 bias?
His fearsome turtle is only a shadow of what it used to be.
Our ftilt beats about everything he can do in the air and his smashes are hard to land if you try to avoid them. Also, learn to tech the dthrow, it's so sad easy.
Now THAT'S 08 bias. So you mean that G&W's can't read your tech at all? Congratulations at dying at 80 %.

But I still agree with the G&W mainers. G&W has a 60:40 advantage, we R.O.B. mainers have to get over R.O.B.'s dropping placings on the Tier Lists too... LoL.

Vinnie

Smash Master
He also might not be good at the gnw MU.
He actually loves that match-up and claims it to be 6:4 ROB or some crazy **** like that. He probably thinks that because by doing a few things that **** G&W, most G&Ws get completely ***** by it. Like, tilt camping G&W with MK and all that. The G&Ws get really frustrated and feel like they're getting shut down and it's unwinnable and drop the character, when realistically it's only a 6:4 matchup... just really frustrating. Chibo knows exactly what he's doing lol, our most recent set was fairly close as well.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Bees! have you ever played a gaw ever? Saying he has poor air control? GaW has some of the best air control in the game.... How am I supposed to take a post seriously when you don't even know the character you're discussing?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
lol gaw cant kill you at 80 off a dthrow tech read. usmash isn't fast enough even if they react perfectly.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Yeah you're right, but charging a usmash instead works so often. Players tend to spot dodge, expecting another grab, but instead eat a half charged usmash.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
i think this matchup is fairly even...if anyone has an advantage its gaw but it would be 55 - 45 at the worst

but why use rob when diddy ***** game and watch soooooooooooooooooooooooo badly

Vinnie

Smash Master
but why use rob when diddy ***** game and watch soooooooooooooooooooooooo badly
lol TeeVee, you're saying this because you **** my **** all the time XD but it's actually not that bad of a match-up, it's like 6:4ish. I just need lots of help in the match-up (it's my worst one :(). Not trying to take any of your wins away of course though! You're mad good XD.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
my diddy is nowhere near your game and watch in skill lol. plus you are the best/2nd best gaw out there, if im beating you with diddy then the matchup cant be good for gaw

Vinnie

Smash Master
It's definitely not 'good for g&w'. I lost to six diddies in the month of August :/. It's just my worst match-up!

UTD Zac beat Gnes twice like a month ago!

Top Bottom