• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ROB Matchup Thread

Nova9000

Smash Lord
That vid was hilarious...and IMO it's 55-45 ROB. Could be 60-40 but I think the ICs can do more than what's being said.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Sorry sneakytako, I meant this: Don't take them to small stages. My fault.

And to TheMike: Great that you changed the Falco matchup, much appreciated. ([^^]

sneakytako

Smash Lord
See this is why I hate ratios. There is no way that the Falco/Marth/Lucario/Kirby MUs are harder than the IC MU. While we might have the favor the in MU, we have to play very carefully to avoid CGs. Don't let IC mains fool you, they have the advantage imo. 0-death is not something to take lightly.

For the next discussion can we talk about ZSS? I really need help in the MU, I got rick rolled by Nriddle XD.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
No, we take them according to the current tier list.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
See this is why I hate ratios. There is no way that the Falco/Marth/Lucario/Kirby MUs are harder than the IC MU. While we might have the favor the in MU, we have to play very carefully to avoid CGs. Don't let IC mains fool you, they have the advantage imo. 0-death is not something to take lightly.

For the next discussion can we talk about ZSS? I really need help in the MU, I got rick rolled by Nriddle XD.
uhh falco has the adv on ROB (even at best i guess) while ROB is arguably ICs worst match up.

Sudai

Stuff here
I love fighting ICs. I just camp near the edge and if they somehow get close switch to a fully air game and never land near them. Up-B a looooottt over the stage.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Ok idk about the rest of you, but the worst part of the matchup is the CG. Now, granted IC has terrible running speed/grab animation at first glance you might just say 'avoid getting grabbed' but it's not like the D3/Falco matchup. IC desyncs lead to grabs. Blizzard and Ice block can lead to 0-death. Squall hammer can unbalance us, leading to a grab. Who cares about U-air? We should trying to squash any chance of CG imo.

This is a HARD matchup. IC don't drop our CG because most of them will hobble. Hobble also burns the clock so it allows them to time us out after they take a stock lead. But you could also say that hobble burns the clock so that WE can time them out if we have a stock lead. I think you have to play the MU as if you were trying to time out every game.

This matchup might be 'bad' for IC's but everyone is under a misconception that we have the advantage. Can we approach ICs? More importantly, can they win spacing against us? No/yes imo. 45-55 ICs.
I gotta disagree with most of the stuff here...
You seem to over-exaggerate the chain grab, it's not like it's autowin all the time. Rob has so **** lot of stuff to do that IC won't ever get their grab, if they blizzard wall, just laser, if they do other stuff, do a bair, it's impossible to grab Rob out of his bair (for IC). Rob has his dsmash that leads to some serious Nana **** and fair offstage is a pain for them.

IC will not get a grab in this MU unless you make a bad mistake. It's just too easy. One way is to hold a gyro, then laser camp. When IC approach you can z-drop, pick it up with bair and repeat, if you get grabbed, you will drop your gyro, interrupting the CG.

You also mentioned about hobbling, it is only used against certain chars, I don't think Rob is one of them.

Easy MU for us, I could go as far as 65-35 or worse for IC.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
IC's hobble ROB, he's easy to footstool, and normal bthrow to dthrow/fthrow is much more difficult on ROB because of his weight/size.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well anyways, the difficulty of CG isn't considered when discussing IC, good players can do it, even I can do with a little warm up.
I am still standing for my opinion of this being IC worst MU. We have our superb projectiles, laser hits both climbers, Gyro makes Nana cry and our range is at least 3x larger.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I'm not saying it makes the ratio any different, I'm just saying because I play IC's, hobbling ROB is much easier if IC's manage to get a grab. I still know it's in ROB's advantage, it's really hard for IC's to get in for a grab.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
This is the matchup where it shouldn't really happen. You have much, much more range and good projectiles to separate them. This is IMO IC worst MU. Because Rob has so many tools to abuse them.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
This MU can't be 65-35 in R.O.B.'s favour -LzR-... They aren't useless against R.O.B..

And can we discuss Marth now, please?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
And they are highly improbable, just look at Jigglypuff vs Marth, Marth has crap load of range and power, jiggs have short range and not much power, none of her moves can reliably hit Marth since he is camped and outspaced really hard. Just like this case with Rob and IC, IC have NO range. Rob has even more than Marth in some moves.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Yes, but don't underrate Ice Climbers. >_>
Skilled Ice Climbers know how to do to get that grab you know.

Sudai

Stuff here
Like I said earlier, ICs should never grab ROB because if you're on the ground when they're close, urdoinitwrong. DSmash may be awesome at separating them, but NAir is just as awesome and they can't grab you out of the air.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Yeah but then they air pressure you with Uair. We have a big advantage yes, but not more than 60/40.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Actually, what can IC do against Rob? Pretty much nothing but uair...
And uair can be avoided easily unless you are stupid and approach them with Dair xD

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Yeah, I think it's about even, it could go either way. We outcamp Marf and we have a better recovery but Marf kinda ***** us up close.

edit: Ahvena, we're going in order of the tier list.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I know we are going in tier order, I just hate fighting Marth so much. And isn't this MU like super **** even? Both characters gimp each other with ease, Rob can camp, but Marth can navigate through it easily. Almost anything you do can be Ftilted but that is pretty much all you can reliably do, but do it, since it's pretty safe.

I hate this MU, just pick FD or Frigate and enjoy.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Powershield is your best friend in this matchup. The name of the game is going to be spacing and counterattacking. Never challange Nair, punish when he lands because his only option will be dancing blade. Mr. Eric explained to me that you can shield grab between the third and fourth hits no matter how fast he does it.

Marths like to d-throw>Fsmash at 0%. I've been told that you can DI up and avoid the tipper, anyone care to elaborate?

Also how does everyone feel about dolphin slash? It really depends on the person you're playing, but I find Marth's Up-B unpredictable and lame unless they spam it. Any thoughts on what you should when the Marth is in a 'oh ****' position?

TheMike

Smash Lord
Marth is what we will be discussing from now on. And the OP will be updated tomorrow.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
This is looking very good so far! We can reach Ganondorf, yes we can! Don't give up yet :D

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Aww, now this is a MU i like! <3 ill jot some stuffs down soon =]

Croissant

Smash Apprentice
Marth's ridiculous speed always gets past my camping (admittedly need to be less predictable) and getting onstage from above or from the sides is always a huge challenge for me... any advice?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I stay offstage for the matchup usually (...and every matchup practically). Just don't fire a gyro or lazer when you know he can be up in your grills before the lag wears off.

Blindman!

Smash Apprentice
i find in the marth MU to just go to FD and stay away (camp, play defensively) til kill percent then wait him out for kill move..... but yea the geting back on stage when knocked off kind of gets me too unless on stage where u can shark him.....

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I hate this MU, but it's quiet even. Marth has more killing options than we do, and he can Uair juggle us too. Don't take Marth too Battlefield due to his excellent platform pressure. I suggest to take him to campy stages like FD or Halberd. The ratio for this matchup is: 45/55 R.O.B..

Top Bottom