• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ROB Matchup Thread

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
I agree that ROB is pretty even against pretty much everyone. He may be a big target and easy to hit, but he has tools that help him survive against pretty much anyone who doesn't chaingrab or is MK.

Bees!

Smash Ace
I can beat bad Marths lol. But I have never fought a good Marth. So idk how the MU goes. All I know is that ftilt is pretty good anti-air but I might be wrong on that lol

Blindman!

Smash Apprentice
i hate fighting falco just cuz that stupid laser but i do love the feeling i get when i gimp a falco......

-LzR-

Smash Hero
What does everyone have against Falco? Those lasers barely just slow your approach. Also Rob has no trouble stopping phantasm, I love the MU.

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
I personally don't have anything against falco, moreso it is the playstyles people can use with him. The worst is the extremely campy ones that just oh so love to laser>laser>phantasm whenever you get close. Sure you can punish phantasm's lag but it is a rather small window. And he can use those lasers to set up crazy stuff since he can buffer about anything when he cancels the laser. It is why i choose ROB against Falcos since he can effectively counter him moreso than my other characters, and the gyro helps a lot.

Blindman!

Smash Apprentice
gyro does help alot and i really hate that laser of falco's thats all i have aginst him..... i dont mind fighting him just prefer not to.....

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
I rely on the gyro a LOT against campy characters like TL and Falco. I love how it acts like a shield against jus about anything. Now that i think about it. Is there anything that has more priority than a fully charged gyro?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Anything with a good disjointed hitbox with high priority, let's say, I think it cancels Falco's laser due to being a "living" projectile and then it falls down. Against Meta Knights moves it just flies away from his Galaxia and so on.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Well, R.O.B. is a fair character to use, all MU's are between 40-60. Dhould we discuss Wario now? My brother switched main to him instead, and I can help alot with it.

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
That isn't what i meant. If you have a fully charged Gyro ready and waiting and launch it from the stand, is there any move that this move does not go through? The only ones i can think of are powerful projectiles like Lucario fully charged aura sphere and such, but the gyro will still just bounce off of them and still survive AND cancel out the other projectile. I mean, i have seen it go through MKs nado, so i want to know what move the gyro DOESN'T go through. Understand what i am saying?

Zwarm

Smash Hero
The gyro would bounce off of IC's blizzard, but it wouldn't get cancelled. That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure some random character's fsmashes could cancel it, like possibly Kirby, and Dedede's ftilt might stop it, but I'm not 100% sure on that either, so yea.

But yea, you should probably ask that in the Q&A thread, before Sudai tells us to bring it in there.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
Well, R.O.B. is a fair character to use, all MU's are between 40-60. Dhould we discuss Wario now? My brother switched main to him instead, and I can help alot with it.
If we're done with Marth, I agree...

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Yea, I know. There's just no need to keep going after we reached a conclusion.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Final Destination or Frigate against Marth IMO.

About Wario MU, I have only played this a couple of times in wifail lol.
But I guess the same info still applies. Wario doesn't have any trouble getting past our camping.
When we are in his range, things start to go bad, he can cause incredible pressure on you with his fast aerial attack and it just feels like you are stuck. Your true and tried dsmash is too low, Ftilt is too slow, all you can do is dodge it or run, but Wario can read this.

Not that it's impossible. Just saying I think it's in Wario's favor, his incredible mobility wrecks our camping. It's hard to make Wario go away when he is in your face. Also the old spotdodge dsmash gets literally eaten by Wario's bite.

Well that is all I know, gl hf.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
ROB's tilts are hard for Wario to deal with on the ground, and Bair is soooo freakin good. If Wario is off the stage, he's gotta watch out for bairs, fairs and lasers, all of which can easily knock the fat man off his motorcycle. If Wario recovers high, he is relatively safe. Low recoveries are scary as ****.

Dtilt and ftilt are really good long range pokes on the ground, and Wario's only real answer to them is to jump out of the way. Dtilt is so **** fast it hits me outta my spotdodges.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Wario does the worst against people who can tango with him in the air easily (barring DDD). Aka Marth, ROB, and MK. Wario doesn't lose badly to ROB, but its certainly in ROBs favor imo. ROB can wall him with pretty much all of his aerials - Fair, Bair, Nair.

If ROB gets a grab the air release isn't guaranteed, but is still gonna happen a lot. Out of it ROB has 2 amazing options: At not kill percents u get uair, and at kill percents you get usmash. Great duo of moves to have semi guaranteed.

Wario gets edgeguarded badly with WOP fairs and it's not hard to read Wario's bike recovery with ROB's upB, and it sets ROB up for a great bair when Wario jumps off, and if you read it right at almost any percent except for way up high, it's gonna kill Wario.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Wario does the worst against people who can tango with him in the air easily (barring DDD). Aka Marth, ROB, and MK. Wario doesn't lose badly to ROB, but its certainly in ROBs favor imo. ROB can wall him with pretty much all of his aerials - Fair, Bair, Nair.

If ROB gets a grab the air release isn't guaranteed, but is still gonna happen a lot. Out of it ROB has 2 amazing options: At not kill percents u get uair, and at kill percents you get usmash. Great duo of moves to have semi guaranteed.

Wario gets edgeguarded badly with WOP fairs and it's not hard to read Wario's bike recovery with ROB's upB, and it sets ROB up for a great bair when Wario jumps off, and if you read it right at almost any percent except for way up high, it's gonna kill Wario.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
wow those matchup numbers are lol

i would personally say
snake is worse than that
diddy is better than that
falco is worse than that
marth is better than that

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Good post about Wario chibo, if I ever somehow end up fighting a Wario, this will help for sure, just knowing that you have the advantage is a big help.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
CP Marth to Halberd, Castle Seige or Final Destination according to me. And yeah I agree with you Chibo, those MU numbers are a little... LoL. But I suggest we discuss them after we have finished Ganondorf, because the Meta Game improves more.

I play the Wario MU very often, at least against two Wario mains. And I say that Wario has the favour in this matchup. His aerial game beats our due to his great aerial mobility + that annoying bite and Dair as well as Uair (which can juggle us to death, especially on platform stages). But if he Dairs, you can D-smash or shield-grab that (note that he is the hardest to shield grab), and if the Wario does a jump input when you grabbed, then he will be grab released and you have a free Uair or Up-smash, but other attacks work too (especially if it's an offline battle, you can often hear if they struggle out or pressing the A+B button).

Try to kill Wario vertically, because he has the best air acceleration in the game, which means = the best horisontally DI. So don't stale your Nairs or Up-throws. Or else, try to gimp Wario with throws or Fairs offstage, read him and gimp.

When you are offstage, he will usually follow you down and fart (it can kill you at 50 %), this has happened to me many times! He can safetely survive back onstage, so be carefull. But you have options: Either you can air dodge, do a Fair, follow down and "sideswip" the bottom blastline, Uair or even footstool! Don't even try to Nair for obvious reasons. Just have patience and stay long in the air, till he gets back. And try to always recover low (and do an/a Uair/Nair) if you want to avoid Uair juggles. Oh and a trivia: You can't air dodge out of his Cork Screw (Up-b which is rare to see / hear =P).

Wario loves when people approaches him, so make him approach using lasers and gyros, but the Wario can still be smart and wait, because the fart is going to charge. And Wario is still hard to hit, because he has the longest air dodge + his small size and lives like forever. Wario has excellent pressure, not to mention his farts. When I'm at a damage like 100 %, I usually camp till I see that the fart is fully charged, because it comes out at later frames and loses killing power than the third/fourth fart. I get relieved then, becasue it's not as dangerous. Wario also has a great grab range, so if you Fair him and he shields it or you miss = shieldgrab. So when he approches, use D-tilt, Bair or retreating Fairs. If he's above you, time an Uair or Up-tilt (my favourite), or to be at the safe side; roll away.

I usually pick a stage that I am comfortable with, like Castle Seige, Final Destination (!) or Halberd. I think that Wario doesn't like big stages, because we can outcamp him. He prefers small stages like Brinstar (his best stage) or Battlefield (if we grab release him here, he will usually land on a platform and shield, but try to Uair or Up-smash him, and you can start your short D-tilt here if you Up-smash. But he can move very far away whilst D-tilt locking, so just D-tilt like 3 times before following up like D-smash), because they have perfect fitted platforms for him. Just look at the heights! I usually CP Final Destination against him. We can camp here, the fart pressure and killing power reduces, and we can also grab release him easier due to no platforms. And Ban Brinstar!

Your grab means so much, and that's why this is slightly in Wario's favour. Watch out for the bite. Fair (rather retreating)/Bair instead of F-tilt due to the risk being shield grabbed. Never approach; Wario doesn't have any projectiles (well okay, semi-projectiles, his tires, which is fun to play with and glide-toss anyway). Jabs do wonders in this MU too. Try to kill via gimping instead of killing.

R.O.B. has a disadvantage at 45, and Wario 55. So R.O.B. has 45:55 against Wario.

Top Bottom