• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Roy For Brawl Thread: Support Our Boy Roy (Roy Subspace story made in latest post

True Fool

Smash Ace
I REALLY WANT ROY IN BRAWL!! Sadly I don't think its possible, I was reading that the person who makes this game said (clears throat) "No Clones" (cry cry sob) WHY!?!?!?!
That wasn't exactly what he said. He said something vauge about not wanting clones or something.

If Roy returns he deserves a new moveset anyway, one that uses that cool explosion from his SoS as a long-range attack.

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
I REALLY WANT ROY IN BRAWL!! Sadly I don't think its possible, I was reading that the person who makes this game said (clears throat) "No Clones" (cry cry sob) WHY!?!?!?!

realy then what about ganon? wasnt he confirmed in some sort of way?, most likely hes playable since zelda has only 2 chars and he was in the past one, also ganon is extremely famous since he is the villain in almost or every zelda game by no clones he didnt mean that all the clones from melee will get the boot he meant that there will not be chars that are clones of each other, past clones can easily be decloned and they are all give big advantages if they were in the past smash game. we already have their fighting style we just need their moves this is an advantage roy has over eliwood also eliwood has the dissadvantage that he cannot use the durandal since he will be another ike, he will have to use a rapier which is not his sword however roy is diferent from ike in many ways but they do have similarities but not as many as eliwood IF he will carry the durandal. will they totaly change eliwood's fighting style just to confirm him? i dont think so but they still can do it. now lets not continue this huge war of roy vs eliwood cuz it can destroy the thread we will also see what will happen in a month so be patient guys its only a month to wait!

oh and btw im not against eliwood i totaly support him to come if he will not replace roy

courte

Smash Lord
anyone else find it simply astounding at this point of fandom that when someone reads the no clone statement, new original character for some odd reason does not pop into the mind?? that's the first think i thought oh so many months ago

no clones=do over

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Sakurai never said anything about there being no clones. There was one clone in the first Smash Bros. and there were six in Melee, I would not be surprised if we got 1-3 clones in Brawl.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Hm, this thread seems to be pretty inactive for the past two days. Well, I bear good news. Since Brawl is being released January 24, 2008, that means we will only have to wait a month at most to know what Roy's fate in Brawl is, as well as the entire roster. I have grown pretty attached to this thread and the people who post in it, but I realize it is onlya matter of time before it is rendered obsolete, either by confirmation or deconfirmation. I am looking foward to the day the roster gets leaked with both excitement and nervousness. That brings another pressing matter to mind, since there are some of you who don't want to be spoiled about the roster, I will need to send a Personal Message to each of the Knights of Elibe asking whether they would want to know the fate of Roy when the roster does get leaked,.

courte

Smash Lord
unfortunately you all will not see me as of january 23rd or as soon as i even hear that a brawl roster is leaked--

so to contribute and keep up the pace of conversation and debatee, i give you this;
sure we've all made our own move sets for a new roy or possibly Eliwood. Some brand new, some deceptively simple yet still innovative and unique, others with a slight hint of magicery and healing, and some straight out... well the best word for this is marthgreil lol --i mean you no offense, i'd love to see a spear wielder in a smash game!! :sad:
so i give you this--we've all had ups and downs with the first time we play smash. Things we eventually grow over. When you first hear about this and that unlockable char, you think "OMG!!" and a small part of
us got kicked inside... in the kidneys. So if Roy/Eliwood is included in this fray, will you be satisfied no matter what?? Will you feel a slight egotistical sting when you see he is all new, but for some reason none of your moves make an appearance?? Sure, we all expect it but... What shall happen if he returns from brawl completely unchanged?? Perhaps Wario is not the only one with a special costume and Roy will be made into an alternate outfit for the blue haired Flachion wielder?? If Roy were the Character and Eliwood were the alt. which would you choose more often? Would you feel a sting??

these questions are directed at the knights of Elibe, as they have put forth so much effort into making this thread a place where ideas and concepts thrive. I simply wish to hear your thoughts now that we've come just a little further from where we had started, and so much closer to the goal. :chuckle:

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
FE GBA is definitely the more popular game, as it got by far the most advertisement, and got a lot more coverage than the other three FEs did.
It was the first worldwide FE ever, what can we say?

If we go around Japan, you WILL not find as much of FE7 as there is of FE6.

And, FE9 is now getting the spotlight, FE7 is losing it's fanbase.

We speak now of the characters, the character of Roy is more known and popular than Eliwood, Lyn AND Hector (a given). In Japan, he is the most liked FE6 character. If FE6 has an already nice fanbase, why it wouldn't be logical of Roy being very liked? And he's also the third most-liked SSBM character in Japan.

Isn't that enough?

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
wow this thread is pretty innactive these days cuz of holidays but ill always try to keep it up just like as i used to do and btw roy was loved by casual players cus of his cool look and he looks much cooler than hector and lyn (my opinion)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
wow this thread is pretty innactive these days cuz of holidays but ill always try to keep it up just like as i used to do and btw roy was loved by casual players cus of his cool look and he looks much cooler than hector and lyn (my opinion)
Roy is definitely better than Lyn (she is a pretty overrated tutorial lord in my opinion). Hector though I can understand why people see him as better, though I prefer Roy over him.

As for Christmas gifts, I got Super Mario Galaxy, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, and 3 Wii Points Cards (6,000 points total). So far, PH is awesome (I've just beaten the first dungeon).

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
hehe i just got cash for christmas that came from my relatives but mostly from my parents. who was stronger in fe6 roy or hector? someone told me its roy but i remember it was hector

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
hehe i just got cash for christmas that came from my relatives but mostly from my parents. who was stronger in fe6 roy or hector? someone told me its roy but i remember it was hector
In FE6? Roy definitely.

courte

Smash Lord
man these discussions are making me salivate at the thought of a FE buraiden... lol i guess all archers/mounted units would be support tags

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Anyway guys, we will be learning of Brawl's roster in less than four weeks, since Brawl's Japanese release is January 24. Probably on Friday or Saturday, I am going to be sending out Personal Messages to all of the Knights of Elibes, asking them whether they want to be notified of Roy's fate when the full roster does get revealed. As for people who don't want to know the roster, I will probably send them a Personal Message notifying them that the roster did get leaked, and to stay off SmashBoards or avoid certain boards on this site until the North American release.

Hippochinfat

Smash Ace
Sending us a PM notifying us that the roster got leaked? That would be great since I want to suprised when I unlock characters and find out what happens in subspace!

Marthgreil

Smash Journeyman
Anyway guys, we will be learning of Brawl's roster in less than four weeks, since Brawl's Japanese release is January 24. Probably on Friday or Saturday, I am going to be sending out Personal Messages to all of the Knights of Elibes, asking them whether they want to be notified of Roy's fate when the full roster does get revealed. As for people who don't want to know the roster, I will probably send them a Personal Message notifying them that the roster did get leaked, and to stay off SmashBoards or avoid certain boards on this site until the North American release.
Wait, what's going on? How will we know by then?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Sakurai never said anything about there being no clones. There was one clone in the first Smash Bros. and there were six in Melee, I would not be surprised if we got 1-3 clones in Brawl.
Well actually he did state something about saying those clones that return will have more unique movesets.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a clone or two in this game, though. It's just the clones in Melee were "filler" spots because Sakurai didn't have time to work on new characters with new movesets. I just can't see this happening in Brawl as Sakurai has had plenty of time to work on characters plus the delay. I think that if clones are in this game they are in there just to be an extra character due to there being room. I don't know.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Well actually he did state something about saying those clones that return will have more unique movesets.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a clone or two in this game, though. It's just the clones in Melee were "filler" spots because Sakurai didn't have time to work on new characters with new movesets. I just can't see this happening in Brawl as Sakurai has had plenty of time to work on characters plus the delay. I think that if clones are in this game they are in there just to be an extra character due to there being room. I don't know.
Is there a link to where he said this?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Is there a link to where he said this?
Here. This is Samurai Panda's translation of some things Sakurai said on the older site or something like that.

But, although you'll see characters from the last game, this time, on a significant scale [Yes, this is exact], they will be remade. It is this sort of thing [This sentence is slang, so there really isn't a good English translation for it].
Although it doesn't say clones specifically (would Sakurai even use that word? lol.) it can be assumed that is what he means.

Zoo-bellocks

Smash Apprentice
Well actually he did state something about saying those clones

It's just the clones in Melee were "filler" spots because Sakurai didn't have time to work on new characters with new movesets. I just can't see this happening in Brawl as Sakurai has had plenty of time to work on characters plus the delay. I think that if clones are in this game they are in there just to be an extra character due to there being room. I don't know.
Wrong-o, kiddo. It's a big misconception that clones were due to Sakurai not having enough time. It was actually do to him having EXTRA time. As the journal translation says, Sakurai unintentionally reached the number of characters he did. If it was unintentional, obviously he didn't have a number that he was required to reach.

He discusses this in the old Melee site in some of the clone's (or as he calls them "Model switch characters") profiles why they were chosen for Brawl. Star Fox was popular at the time, so he threw in Falco; He liked the Dr. Mario music so he threw in Dr. Mario; The team noticed that Ganondorf had similar body proportions to Captain Falcon and was popular so he put him in. It did not have to do with a lack of time. Feel free to read about it here: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/0222/character.html

It's extremely likely there will be more clones in Brawl, especially since he KNOW that they had extra time due to the delay. Although it was obvious it occured for the sake of not stealing SMG's sales, it gave them some extra development time. The time would not be sufficient to create totally unique characters, but it many be enough time for clones.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Wrong-o, kiddo. It's a big misconception that clones were due to Sakurai not having enough time. It was actually do to him having EXTRA time. As the journal translation says, Sakurai unintentionally reached the number of characters he did. If it was unintentional, obviously he didn't have a number that he was required to reach.

He discusses this in the old Melee site in some of the clone's (or as he calls them "Model switch characters") profiles why they were chosen for Brawl. Star Fox was popular at the time, so he threw in Falco; He liked the Dr. Mario music so he threw in Dr. Mario; The team noticed that Ganondorf had similar body proportions to Captain Falcon and was popular so he put him in. It did not have to do with a lack of time. Feel free to read about it here: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/0222/character.html

It's extremely likely there will be more clones in Brawl, especially since he KNOW that they had extra time due to the delay. Although it was obvious it occured for the sake of not stealing SMG's sales, it gave them some extra development time. The time would not be sufficient to create totally unique characters, but it many be enough time for clones.
Wow, once again you offer excellent insight and information. Even I thought that the clones were placed in due there being a time constraint, I applaud you for the service you have provided to this thread. Well done. :)

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
Zoo-belloks=genius hehe but i dont think that there will be clones in brawl since sakurai said it but if there is, roy has a good chance of returning by being again the marth clone which in my opinion it was rubbish
um should i think of a roy moveset?? i have some ideas already

NukeA6

Smash Master
If Roy returns as a clone again, he should at least have a different final smash.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
If Roy returns as a clone again, he should at least have a different final smash.
I agree, and his status should be different too.

But if he returns, he could either get an original moveset, or get a Marth/Ike moveset mix.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240

This doesn't explain why there were several characters that were cut due to not having enough time to give them full movesets.:ohwell:

courte

Smash Lord
Thunders Luigi 4 Brawl!! I really hope they at least make an attempt to at least try to avoid negative cloning this time around...

There were a few considered good or bad depending on who you played.
Roy -- Let's take alot of marth's attacks, and move that sweetspot to a difficult area of impact so kills will rely on one technique
Pichu -- Let's Let pikachu shrink and hurt himself when he uses any good attacks, and add wall jumps
Doc. Mario -- I like Doctor Mario, but all he does is throw pills... LETS MAKE HIM A FATTY!! and umm incredibly powerful yeah cuz he's got the strength to bust like 500 viruses!!
Ganondorf -- Lets make captain falcon into purple satan
Young Link -- Let's make Link small and fast;hyper hyper mode... what too lazy??
Falco -- Let's make a bird that can jump high, but is less mobile than a fox in all other aspects..

LOL J/K J/K PEOPLE!!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
We are inching closer and closer to the roster leak. I feel that when the updates do resume, we are going to get the updates that we have all wanted (Captain Falcon, Sheik, the real character selection screen, more stages). The character selection screen one is key. If there is enough room to hold 40 characters then there is a chance that one of those forty is a third Fire Emblem character, of which Roy has a shot of obtaining. However, if there are only 36 spots on the roster, then I feel that the chances of a third Fire Emblem character on the roster, and thus Roy's chances, are hopeless. Also, I will searching Japanese forums rigorously for any roster leaks, remember Melee's roster got leaked 20 days before Melee's Japanese release, so I would not be surprised if the same thing happens with Brawl.

Top Bottom