• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Royal Theater - King Dedede Video Thread

axelalexzander

Smash Cadet
D...did they just call Dedede the worst heavy?

Anyway, it's best to use fastfalling nair instead of dair. Dair is mostly an edgeguarding tool for those predictable recoveries and at lower percents, ff nair > uptilt is a combo. When throwing, both dthrow > fair and dthrow > uair can be escaped after 80% so it's best to do side throws to whatever edge you're closer to. When you fought against falco (or really everyone who tries to get up in your face), ftilt would have definitely helped. Dedede likes his opponents midrange.
Yeah that dair on stage was a misclick, I was trying to do a fast fall nair there. I screw that up more than I'd like...I sometimes pull down on the left stick too quickly. I almost never purposely do bair on stage.

I have a really bad problem with misclicks that I need to work on. Usually it's me using a smash accidentally instead of a tilt, but occasionally I'll screw up the fast fall nair as well.

About Dthrow...you're right. I sometimes do downthrow without thinking even when I should be Bthrow or Fthrowing because opponent is at too high a percent to get a combo. I need to keep working on that, thanks. I Dthrow so much with DDD that sometimes it becomes automatic.

And about the worst heavy remark by the commentator...yes they did say that. You heard right...made my ears hurt as well. Seems like DDD is quickly written off as bad by a lot of players just because of the gordo reflect mechanic.

Last edited:

manueluno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
manolonoe
You should really reconsider setting your right stick to tilts.

Edit: I have to say I just watched the videos, lots of mistakes. In the first one, I think I can count the bairs you did with one hand. Almost never fast falling, and you could have spaced yourself better. Down smash is awesome, I think you did not use it much.

The second guy you faced was better. Gordo is great, but against characters with a projectile is better to use it kind of close to the opponent so that they will not be able to react. The Bowser Jr abused the kart, which should not happen.

Practice dude.

Last edited:

T4ylor

Smash Journeyman
Alright, @ axelalexzander axelalexzander . The two biggest things you have to work on right now is walking and knowing when to use Gordo. I quickly noticed that when you want to get in you either run in and dash grab or try to cross them up with a roll. And good players will eat you up for that, plus there are better ways to get a Grab in. The rolling can be pretty punishable, especially with D3's large frame. Learning to walk will give you a much better option to get in and will really help with pressuring your opponent, because then you can get picky with where you want to be. D3's got a range in which he functions best in and you aren't using that. You're using Gordo like a normal projectile and that will get you punished and combo'd for unwanted % by much of the cast. Just save your replays and watch for where you get hit when using it.

axelalexzander

Smash Cadet
You should really reconsider setting your right stick to tilts.

Edit: I have to say I just watched the videos, lots of mistakes. In the first one, I think I can count the bairs you did with one hand. Almost never fast falling, and you could have spaced yourself better. Down smash is awesome, I think you did not use it much.

The second guy you faced was better. Gordo is great, but against characters with a projectile is better to use it kind of close to the opponent so that they will not be able to react. The Bowser Jr abused the kart, which should not happen.

Practice dude.
Well I think in the first one Sonic is so hard to touch that I played quite a bit differently than normal. I played passively, maybe too passively. I usually use bair and dsmash quite a bit.

I guess shield better to avoid the kart abuse? Any other tips on defending against that with D3?

Alright, @ axelalexzander axelalexzander . The two biggest things you have to work on right now is walking and knowing when to use Gordo. I quickly noticed that when you want to get in you either run in and dash grab or try to cross them up with a roll. And good players will eat you up for that, plus there are better ways to get a Grab in. The rolling can be pretty punishable, especially with D3's large frame. Learning to walk will give you a much better option to get in and will really help with pressuring your opponent, because then you can get picky with where you want to be. D3's got a range in which he functions best in and you aren't using that. You're using Gordo like a normal projectile and that will get you punished and combo'd for unwanted % by much of the cast. Just save your replays and watch for where you get hit when using it.
Can you explain more (or direct me to a post) on how exactly to utilize walking with D3?

Yeah, I probably do use gordos too much in neutral.

So
- Practice FF bairs
- Less gordos in neutral, or none at all against projectile characters
- Walk more with D3

Anything else?

Thanks for the tips. Especially walking more, I've never even thought about that much. And about FF bairs...I'll be honest using fast fall for moves other than nair never really crossed my mind either. I know I'm still very much a smash noob. I've only been playing for about 4 months...and I don't mean smash 4, I mean any smash game.

Last edited:

Substitute

Smash Apprentice
Hello again gents!

It's been a while since I've posted, feel like I've improved on my Dedede a lot but there's always room for improvement right? Captain Falcon has been bothering me a lot lately. I would say I hate playing against good Captain Falcons more so than any projectile character, those dash grabs and follow-ups haunt my dreams. I was able to record two matches with a buddy of mine who is really good. Would love for some feedback!

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Hello again gents!

It's been a while since I've posted, feel like I've improved on my Dedede a lot but there's always room for improvement right? Captain Falcon has been bothering me a lot lately. I would say I hate playing against good Captain Falcons more so than any projectile character, those dash grabs and follow-ups haunt my dreams. I was able to record two matches with a buddy of mine who is really good. Would love for some feedback!
Not bad D3 play! You get a lot of his followup game, and I especially like how you're confident utilizing more uncommon parts of the King's moveset (Inhale especially). Many D3s don't do that, it's great to see.

Three things otherwise.
  1. Intentionality. It felt like your approach was to just throw moves out and pray they hit...a lot. The Falcon missed a ton of big punishes on you, but even still won just by lightly punishing your open spots. I saw a lot of just...random attacks - Dsmashes, fastfall Bairs, and roll + Dtilt especially. These are all very unsafe attacks as a D3 and a good player would absolutely read these tendencies and hard punish you. Sheik players can afford to throw out ranom attacks with their ridiculous safety on EVERYTHING, but D3 is very different. D3 is a reactionary character; he has to be - You can't just throw out a fastfall Bair against Falcon for kicks (most of the time), as Falcon is one of the few who could
  2. Spacing. Practice it. Really, you either need to A. Know your move will make contact or B. Be safe on whiff. Ftilt is generally safe on whiff, Dsmash is not. Same thing with all the Inhales you went for. Almost all were very unsafe - use them as part of mixups (you're above Falcon - make him guess if you'll fastfall Nair or fastfall Inhale). Inhale in general has a very specific hitbox, learn it, then abuse it to spit him offstage and create an edgeguarding situation.
  3. Diversity. Mix up your offense - you just ran in most the time. Walk in, and be ready to powershield the attack/Ftilt his approach on reaction.) Or jump up and float above Falcon, testing to see if he'll leave an opening. Ftilt more in general, and use spotdodge far more than you roll (D3's roll is terrible). Use Fsmash once or twice a match if you get read/just to scare him. Only DownB for kicks if you've got a Gordo setup out. If you want more check out my Gordo video here, there are traps and followups at the end.
We could talk more, but that's the main stuff. Good luck, and thanks for sharing here :)

Last edited:

manueluno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
manolonoe
@ Substitute Substitute those games were fun to watch. Thought you were a goner on the first video and you managed a great comeback. I also thought you were going to pull it off again in the second video but that captain falcon recovering below stage must have been disheartening.

Tip. If you are already charging the fsmash and he is shielding anyway, charge the smash all the way through. You will get a shieldbrake.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Again just a friendly reminder to please post links to videos and not embed them.

Did a ton of matches with @Raziek who was also kind enough to record and upload the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uOyZOw_vlk&feature=youtu.be
I'm ready to be torn apart. Come at me! :4dedede:
Torn apart nuthin'. You have a great and fun Dedede, one that's a blast to watch. Loved your fantastic spacing, spot-on Gordo aim, and most importantly that pressure-based and reactionary mindset that makes D3. Hah, I actually laughed out loud a few times (14:47, where the beach slope perfectly angled Gordo ftw, lulz), and dat Fsmash after the jabs @19:50...I'M still feeling it.

I've really only got two notes to maybe give you some ideas for variety, that's it.
  1. Edgeguarding mixups. Most the time you went for some of our best options - the UGordo+Dsmash, or just a well-spaced Ftilt. All great - but once opponents are conditioned to expect that, they start waiting on the ledge a little longer. Raziek started doing that in almost every match. Ledgetrumping absolutely destroys that hesitation - and with Bair's great range and killer knockback, I think D3 is one of the most deadly ledgetrumpers in the game. You already know how to do this I'm sure, but for the sake of others reading this: throw your UGordo per usual if you have time, then stand RIGHT next to the ledge. Then, precisely when the opponent grabs the edge, hold the offstage direction, then do a FAST half circle back. So if the edge is to the right, it would look like: :GCR::GCDR::GCD::GCDL::GCL:. You'll insta-grab the edge, and pop your opponent off perfectly for a Bair.
  2. Baiting the Gordo reflect. You use Gordos so well - both in pressure and in direct threat situations. But try to lob a few at their face hoping for the reflecting. Robin was conditioned to shield Gordos early on in the match, but sometimes she didn't. 23:08 is one example - you were spaced perfectly to SH Nair instead of shield, which lost you some pressure.
That's really it. I'd like to talk about adding more Inhale mixups, but I'm very much working on that myself and you did a great job utilizing it already.

I will say it's hard to judge defense and safety from this matchup. In contrast to Falcon/Sonic/Sheik, I believe this is one of D3's better matchups in the game. We can just play with Robin in so many ways, namely because her ground+airspeed just allows us to take so many more safe risks. We're actually FASTER than she is, her speed doesn't let her punish us easily OR play the Gordo game well, and with the hammer's range Robin has to commit to anything that might outrange us (Dsmash). Raziek's choice of the Custom SideB to reflect Gordo was smart, but it never got utilized too well.

Thanks for sharing the matches! :4dedede:

Last edited:

Substitute

Smash Apprentice
Not bad D3 play! You get a lot of his followup game, and I especially like how you're confident utilizing more uncommon parts of the King's moveset (Inhale especially). Many D3s don't do that, it's great to see.

Three things otherwise.
  1. Intentionality. It felt like your approach was to just throw moves out and pray they hit...a lot. The Falcon missed a ton of big punishes on you, but even still won just by lightly punishing your open spots. I saw a lot of just...random attacks - Dsmashes, fastfall Bairs, and roll + Dtilt especially. These are all very unsafe attacks as a D3 and a good player would absolutely read these tendencies and hard punish you. Sheik players can afford to throw out ranom attacks with their ridiculous safety on EVERYTHING, but D3 is very different. D3 is a reactionary character; he has to be - You can't just throw out a fastfall Bair against Falcon for kicks (most of the time), as Falcon is one of the few who could
  2. Spacing. Practice it. Really, you either need to A. Know your move will make contact or B. Be safe on whiff. Ftilt is generally safe on whiff, Dsmash is not. Same thing with all the Inhales you went for. Almost all were very unsafe - use them as part of mixups (you're above Falcon - make him guess if you'll fastfall Nair or fastfall Inhale). Inhale in general has a very specific hitbox, learn it, then abuse it to spit him offstage and create an edgeguarding situation.
  3. Diversity. Mix up your offense - you just ran in most the time. Walk in, and be ready to powershield the attack/Ftilt his approach on reaction.) Or jump up and float above Falcon, testing to see if he'll leave an opening. Ftilt more in general, and use spotdodge far more than you roll (D3's roll is terrible). Use Fsmash once or twice a match if you get read/just to scare him. Only DownB for kicks if you've got a Gordo setup out. If you want more check out my Gordo video here, there are traps and followups at the end.
We could talk more, but that's the main stuff. Good luck, and thanks for sharing here :)
Soul Train wow! Thanks for all the feedback man. This post was really eye opening for me in a lot of respects. Yea, I have a bad habit of dsmashing a lot because I get away with it most of time with the noobs on For Glory....all the more reason to start playing Anther's Ladder more. I actually played some more matches tonight with your advice in mind on spacing and intentionality and I noticeably did much better and took less hits overall. I'll post some more vids in the future when I play my Falcon friend again. :4dedede:

Last edited:

Jatayu

Regal Eagle
3DS FC
4227-4062-5258
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyx_ZMoL34A
A few clips from my stream last night. I think the Dedede fans here will definitely enjoy. :dedede::4dedede:
That uair cancel to down smash to dair was all kinds of beautiful. I really need to start using down smash more often now that I think about it.

Speaking of beautiful, nice hat ya got there. Do you happen to have a pattern for it lying around?

Thee Incubus

Smash Journeyman
That uair cancel to down smash to dair was all kinds of beautiful. I really need to start using down smash more often now that I think about it.

Speaking of beautiful, nice hat ya got there. Do you happen to have a pattern for it lying around?
Sorry, no template, any dedede hats I make are just remembering what I did and don't use a pattern or guide.

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
I did a set with DKwill no customs, I manged to 2-0 him but close games, I'll try to upload the set and post it here for advice, I think I did pretty well, I'm trying to improve all the time with D3, and I think the set is great to watch if you need help with the DK match up, you can exploit DK in multiple ways with D3

Edit: Actually would it be okay if I link the twitch video time stamp instead when the stream is saved?

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I did a set with DKwill no customs, I manged to 2-0 him but close games, I'll try to upload the set and post it here for advice, I think I did pretty well, I'm trying to improve all the time with D3, and I think the set is great to watch if you need help with the DK match up, you can exploit DK in multiple ways with D3

Edit: Actually would it be okay if I link the twitch video time stamp instead when the stream is saved?
Yea of course. Lookin' forward to seeing it~

Substitute

Smash Apprentice
PSA: Riding Link's tornado is fun AND effective! Thought I'd link you guys some more of my purple penguin shenanigans. :4dedede:

Last edited:
NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Here's a dump of various matches that got recorded. And as a disclaimer, I have improved (like everyone) since these tournaments, and one major change is that I now do not use tap jump at all. All these videos show me using it.

Please give advice and tell me how bad I am. I love all you guises. :4dedede:

vs. :4pikachu: (4-19-15)

vs. :4villager:(4-19-15)

vs.:4sheik:(3-21-15)

----
B-B-BONUS ROUND: Me and my :4ness: buddy in doubles

Jdawg26

Smash Apprentice
Here's a dump of various matches that got recorded. And as a disclaimer, I have improved (like everyone) since these tournaments, and one major change is that I now do not use tap jump at all. All these videos show me using it.

Please give advice and tell me how bad I am. I love all you guises. :4dedede:
You had a lot of solid D3 play here, good stuff.

The set against Pikachu is hard to critique... it seems like he didn't know the matchup and just kind of ran into your hitboxes a lot. Regardless you did well in capitalizing on that.

The match against the Villager player is the one that I have the most to talk about. First off, it seems like he didn't know the matchup that well either; because you got away with WAY too many gordos for free. If he had pocketed even one of those it could have been a shield break or a stock easily.

Your offstage game was very solid, as were most of your offensive options. However your neutral game was somewhat lacking. If I could offer some advice, work on your out of shield options a bit more, since most of the time whenever you were in shield a roll or smash attack immediately followed. Dashes or jumps oos will help mix up your defensive game a bit more. Your movement choices could've also been a bit better.

Another thing is to work on using inhale as a landing option once they become privy to back airs. It'll throw off their whole defense and make them respect your landing zone a bit more.

tl;dr
-Work on using other movement options outside of rolling.
-Learn how your opponent can punish the gordo/the extent in which they can punish it.
-Use every bit of D3's arsenal. Don't forget about utilt, jabs and pivot grabs. Everything has a purpose in D3's kit.... except maybe jet hammer.

I'd offer a more extensive critique of the other videos but I think the Villager set encapsulated everything I noticed. Solid work, and best of luck!

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time out to critique the videos so extensively! I really appreciate that. I definitely take pride in my air-game, but recently I have been working extensively on mix-ups and grabbing/grab-into-aerial cancels, so hopefully my neutral WILL get a bit better as times goes on.

Also, I'd like to point out that the only reason I wasn't using all the moves to the fullest extent was because I had been using tap-jump, but since then I've transitioned to X and I'm able to do a lot of stuff like FFing and Utilts once again.

Thank you again for the advice, I will remember it.

Last edited:

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time out to critique the videos so extensively! I really appreciate that. I definitely take pride in my air-game, but recently I have been working extensively on mix-ups and grabbing/grab-into-aerial cancels, so hopefully my neutral WILL get a bit better as times goes on.

Also, I'd like to point out that the only reason I wasn't using all the moves to the fullest extent was because I had been using tap-jump, but since then I've transitioned to X and I'm able to do a lot of stuff like FFing and Utilts once again.

Thank you again for the advice, I will remember it.
@ Jdawg26 Jdawg26 covered the good stuff already, so I'll just comment on the Sheik video. Liked your confidence with Gordo throughout, and how scared you made your opponent. Otherwise, three things:

1. Intentionality. Sometimes it felt like you were just throwing hitboxes out and praying. This works in For Glory/against bad opponents like that Pikachu, but against anyone that adapts, you'll get hit hard. Usmash, Usmash - did you play Ike before? This is D3's worst smash by miles, maybe use it once a match. A good opponent will simply sit right outside your Ftilt range, wait for you to whiff one of those smashes, and punish away. Be careful with your smashes/Gordo throws, they're laggy and punishable. I saw lots of these Hail Mary smashes thrown out there...when the opponent wasn't even in kill %s yet. Instead, make your bread-and-butter focus more on using D3's safer options in neutral - Jab, Dtilt, Ftilt, shorthops, etc. Hoping for them to run into a random smash attack - keep that, but make it rare (and done when they're in kill %s).
  2. Predictability. Run up->Usmash. Run up->Dash Attack. Roll->roll->Dsmash, roll->Gordo...saw all of these a lot. Again, focus on the intentionality, then on mixing up what you do. Learn to react to your opponents, not swing your hammer around.
  3. Mobility. Saw a lot of roll being used as a movement option, which is very bad and punishable, as D3's is so slow. Dash was then your main approach, which is also restrictive - D3 only has three fast options from there: dash attack, jump, and shield. All are beaten by an opponent simply running up with a fast aerial/grab. Try out the slower approach: like just walking slowly towards the opponent, ready to powershield on reaction. Walking is really underrated in this game, and still leaves you with all of your options available. Empty shorthops/fastfalls are also great and terrifying when mixed up with Bairs/Inhales as well.
Echoing what Jdawg said with Inhale - use it more, namely as a mixup. Also I would ban Battlefield next time; personally I hate the stage for D3 against fasties like Shiek, Falcon, Pikachu, etc. The platforms only add to their combo game while barely helping yours.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Air horn Jet Hammer is life: a beautiful montage of His Majesty clobbuhing hard with AlphaRadTV.
My gawd that was hilarious, love me some new Alpharad. Started laughing at the shieldbreak + Inhale punish, kept going til the end. DAT DISRESPECT THO

Last edited:

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
https://youtu.be/3nURTRJr2BM
Also here are the King and I dueling some want-to-be ninja thing not embed because that causes page lag that upsets shrooby, which TMJ_Jack would never endourse. I know the audio and video quality is unbelievably high, so compliments are unnecessary. Feel free to critique.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Guys, seriously, please post links to videos. Don't embed them.
It makes the page lag when there's too many videos embedded.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
https://youtu.be/3nURTRJr2BM
Also here are the King and I dueling some want-to-be ninja thing not embed because that causes page lag that upsets shrooby, which TMJ_Jack would never endourse. I know the audio and video quality is unbelievably high, so compliments are unnecessary. Feel free to critique.
Thanks for sharing! Initial thoughts on the video: less Gordo at close range, more falling Bairs, and air-based/B-reverse Inhale mixups.

Honestly it was a pretty spastic Shiek. Hard to get a read on...well, either of you.

Jdawg26

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, another video dump of mine coming at you. Feel free to discuss/critique/ask questions about them at your leisure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFjFX0lwKAE vs Matador (Megaman)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjF6Rm9iTmA vs Kenny (Pikachu)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BiZ5mfYXK4 vs Unknown (MK)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pr9B_ST-dQ vs Coreo (Ness)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aehsy50Za4c vs Zage (Pac-Man)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e68y62e1rU vs Submediant (Peach)

That's about all for now. My record on stream isn't particularly amazing, but I try to make up for it during my loser's bracket runs lol.

Last edited:

Interrobang!?

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, another video dump of mine coming at you. Feel free to discuss/critique/ask questions about them at your leisure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BiZ5mfYXK4 vs Unknown (MK)
"J Dawg is trying to end that man's whole career right there!"

Good matches dude. To me it kinda looks like you run out of steam partway through a couple of these after starting really strong.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
Honestly it was a pretty spastic Shiek. Hard to get a read on...well, either of you.
Yeah, it's hard for me consistently stick to a plan when an opponent is just throwing out as many hit boxes as possible, but I think I handled the situation pretty well. I do not handle spamming "zoning" characters well though. It's laughable really. I can defeat decently trained Sheiks and Rosalumas, yet any middle schooler could chuck infinite boomerangs, arrows, and bombs to defeat me without a sweat. Woe is me.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Yeah, it's hard for me consistently stick to a plan when an opponent is just throwing out as many hit boxes as possible, but I think I handled the sitaution pretty well. I do not handle spamming "zoning" characters well the. It's laughable really. I can defeat decently trained Sheiks and Rosalumas, yet any middle schooler could chuck infinite boomerangs, arrows, and bombs to defeat me without a sweat. Woe is me.
This is the key problem of all heavyweights, really. If you have a big hurtbox, prepare to be peppered with projectiles every step you take toward your opponent...

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Yeah, it's hard for me consistently stick to a plan when an opponent is just throwing out as many hit boxes as possible, but I think I handled the sitaution pretty well. I do not handle spamming "zoning" characters well the. It's laughable really. I can defeat decently trained Sheiks and Rosalumas, yet any middle schooler could chuck infinite boomerangs, arrows, and bombs to defeat me without a sweat. Woe is me.
Pick Bowser, and play for several sets against a good Duck Hunt/Megaman and intentionally practice your powershielding/defensive options. That'll teach you efficiency and keep you from developing bad habits around D3's 99845 jumps.

At a high level (read: not online For Glory), projectiles are nowhere near as much as a game changer.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
Pick Bowser, and play for several sets against a good Duck Hunt/Megaman and intentionally practice your powershielding/defensive options. That'll teach you efficiency and keep you from developing bad habits around D3's 99845 jumps.

At a high level (read: not online For Glory), projectiles are nowhere near as much as a game changer.
A good Duck Hunt or Mega Man? Where do I find one of those? Any of you willing to train me instead of taking my chances on FG?

Last edited:
Top Bottom