• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta "The Saikyo Dojo" Ryu Metagame Discussion.

Robin1613

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Robin1613
This definitely a character with a learning curve. Certainly not someone you can just pick up and play effectively. His attacks being special cancellable should be looked into more

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
You can combo from even a Lvl 1 Focus Attack into Shoryuken. Seems like a solid kill option. Even if they're hit in the air I can consistently get it

Focus-Dash-Dash and Jump-SRK

The timing is really really tight though

He can also combo into his spike but it seems DI dependent (though you can combo into Dair anyway). Even Bair though Bair seems the hardest to do by far, both timing and input wise.

D

Deleted member

To correct my earlier post since I finally actually have the character, Uair to footstool is guaranteed on taller characters since you get the second hit. I've gotten it on:4dk: at ~33%. Nair jab locks, and I'd assume you can get footstool to fast fall Nair, but I can't get the Nair to fast fall in the first place, so I'm a bit stuck as to continuing this combo. A jab lock would probably give us a free Focus Attack for a knockdown to confirm into a Dsmash/Fsmash.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
@meleebrawler No, because we do have flame breath, which is why this MU won't be completely lost. The problem is that we can't spam fire.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Alright, Ryu is a pretty technical character and rely on a lot of setups for his game to work.

His F-Smash, B-air and Shoryuken are his best kill options, using his Hurricane Kick is a decent recovery option.

However, killing his opponents is probably something that we need to get use to. His tilts and Smash attacks aren't valuable kill options but his focus attack is damn good.

My favorite move is his F-air, heavy damage with tons of knockback. B-air is a deadly kill options and lagless aerials make him sinister in the right hands.

If you're gonna main him, master his skill set first before going into FG, you're gonna get easily beaten if you're not ready.

busken

Smash Ace
I like how Ryu body muscles makes captain falcon look like a chicken.

Robin1613

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Robin1613
FADC is a critical part of using this character at a high level.

Since there are no armor breaking properties in this game the only way to stop him from executing focus attack is by grabbing him.

THIS IS HUGE.

Edit: You can implement AFADC (Aerial Focus Attack Dash Cancel) in multiple ways.
Its basically an airdash that can be used for spacing and as an additional recovery option
And with the knowledge of what I just stated above using it in the air will go unchallenged in every air to air situation.

Last edited:

Dessa

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Ryu is gonna have a tough time with these characters.

:4jigglypuff:
It's the :4littlemac: situation but Ryu has a standing chance against Puff. But her incredible air game might neutralize Ryu's ground game unless he is relying more on hadoukens.

:4metaknight:
The same but range might out do him since Ryu has a lot of options with handling Meta Knight

:4villager:
Those rockets and slingshots are gonna be nightmare to deal with and there isn't a lot of opportunities to handle Villager's extreme camping and projectile base moveset plus, how much damage a pocketed Hadouken can do

:4pikachu:
That speed and size will have a major advantage over them. Especially how much damage the t can deal out in a quick minute.

:4falcon:
His speed and damage output is devastating and he can put up 70% if your not paying attention. Plus his aerials and smash attacks can force Ryu into a situation where he has to slow down Falcon and that isn't hard
Kirby might be a good matchup too, depending on how many of Ryu's attacks can be ducked. I can't do any testing right now, but when I get home, if someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll be posting every duckable attack in the Kirby thread.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Since there are no armor breaking properties in this game the only way to stop him from executing focus attack is by grabbing him.
False. His armor goes away after the first time he's hit, so multi hit moves break through pretty easily. Also the armor drops right before the hitbox comes out so if you're playing against someone with good timing that's also a possibility.

It'll be pretty important though since it sets up for pretty much any move

Robin1613

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Robin1613
correct, multi hit aerials would indeed break through only if you decide to commit to it. absorbing a hit then dashing away however is what i was suggesting.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I would suggest to sparsely use Ryu's Focus Punch (Down B) as that move is easily telegraphed and leaves Ryu open.

D

Deleted member

About FADC, it seems to be a valuable landing/approach option to absorb a hit and counter attack or reset to neutral.

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Can any combos be reliably set up/ transferred over from ssf4? Like could watching Ryu tourney players help improve ryu's meta development at all?

ancara22

Smash Apprentice
A couple of other things I've noticed now that I actually got my hands on Ryu:

-As the tips for the move make obvious, you can change the direction Ryu's Down-B is thrown at the last second by moving the stick the opposite direction before letting go of the button. Could be mighty useful for some mindgames or for in case they try to roll away, for a surprise shield break.
-Ryu's dair is capable of easily spiking people diagonally downward at higher %. Likely an especially useful edge guarding tool for him.
-Once you dash cancel out of his FA, you can easily grab your crumpled opponent, or do whatever you like to him for as long as they're crumpled, depending on how long it lasts. Definite combo starter if used right.
-A lot of Ryu's shenanigans likely may be like our dear friend Marth's with combos. One such combo of sorts I've tried out is doing an FA, then down-tilt to a dash attack, and then a fair. And then you just go with either a bair, more fairs or whatever you like, based on what your opponent does. And that's just a single simple "combo" of sorts I've kinda grown to like so far, just first trying him out.
-a properly executing Shoryuken (with DP motion), and his F-Smash seem to be his most reliable kill options for normal antics. But odds are there's better options, once he's studied more closely.

Those are just a few of my notes. And if this is anything to go by, I like the look of things so far greatly with Ryu.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Focus Punch only blocks one hit, ive been smacked through it several times by rapid-hitting attacks like Link's UpSmash. Likewise i have gone right through powerhouse hits like a DK punch like i wasnt even hit and slap him silly afterwords.

Ive been having insane issues with Link personally. All of his attacks that people rely on hit more than once, so focus approach isnt viable and his projectile game is unbearable for Ryu.

SoulCrystal

Smash Rookie
Has anyone found good reliable kill moves for Ryu? After playing him quite a bit before the Championship I noticed the only real kill move I utilized was his fsmash at about 120% (less if it was a lighter character) but surely there are other kill moves that he possesses. What reliable moves have you all found so far?

D

Deleted member

Focus Punch only blocks one hit, ive been smacked through it several times by rapid-hitting attacks like Link's UpSmash. Likewise i have gone right through powerhouse hits like a DK punch like i wasnt even hit and slap him silly afterwords.

Ive been having insane issues with Link personally. All of his attacks that people rely on hit more than once, so focus approach isnt viable and his projectile game is unbearable for Ryu.
I main Link first and everyone else second so feel free to ask me any questions about what Link can do, particularly against Ryu.

I'd be happy to offer insight.~

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Fair or Bair near the edge tends to kill around 100% for me. Problem is theyre hard to land since his "short hop" isnt very short lol.

Also his down throw kills around 150%. Ive actually been using that one more, just beat the crap out of them until they get around 150 then grab and kill.

SoulCrystal

Smash Rookie
Fair or Bair near the edge tends to kill around 100% for me. Problem is theyre hard to land since his "short hop" isnt very short lol.

Also his down throw kills around 150%. Ive actually been using that one more, just beat the crap out of them until they get around 150 then grab and kill.

Thanks, I'll give the throws a try. I haven't worked much with his fair or bair, at least not near the edge, the two people I was playing with today didn't do much in the air, so I felt like I didn't have much of an opportunity to try it out, but i'll be sure to give it a go later.

Solaris_Noid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koga_Noid
3DS FC
0619-3734-0827
Switch FC
1232-9460-2152
Can any combos be reliably set up/ transferred over from ssf4? Like could watching Ryu tourney players help improve ryu's meta development at all?
The first thing I tested was his standard BnB which was c.LK < < Hadouken(in this it would be L.dtilt, B), doesn't work. His main poke on that was c.MK(M dtilt) and that could cancel into Hadouken as well, but not in this.

I'm sure some of his FADC concepts transfer over though. Lv.2 Focus Attack <(hits) < dash cancel < L.dtilt < Shoryuken is one thing I know works.

Last edited:

HDiz93

Smash Rookie
NNID
HDizzle93
3DS FC
3823-8574-6807
So, which characters do you all think Ryu will do well against?
I think Ryu can do well against Ganon and Little Mac. I've used Ryu many times against both characters in for glory and I felt that Ryu's range allowed him to do well against these two

HDiz93

Smash Rookie
NNID
HDizzle93
3DS FC
3823-8574-6807
Has anyone found good reliable kill moves for Ryu? After playing him quite a bit before the Championship I noticed the only real kill move I utilized was his fsmash at about 120% (less if it was a lighter character) but surely there are other kill moves that he possesses. What reliable moves have you all found so far?
Of course, shoryuken is reliable, but also up-smash, depending on the height of the ceiling

SoulCrystal

Smash Rookie
Of course, shoryuken is reliable, but also up-smash, depending on the height of the ceiling

I've found with upsmash that its so short, they have to be right above me for it to actually connect. Which most characters don't seem to try to get that close to their opponent.

ToastyDM

Smash Rookie
Somethings I picked up on while in the lab:

•Down Throw into Shoryuken does 24% with inputs at 0%. with Focus it goes up to 34% but is more inconsistent, this is a 0-10% only combo though and its the only throw combo Ryu has.
•At higher %s Light UpTilt can combo into Heavy UpTilt.
•For fellow Street Fighter players, Negative Edge is a thing.
•Aerial B Reversing with Hadoken inputs is also a thing, regardless of what attack button you use (Even Z works)
•As is Run->Reverse Hadoken with inputs , but this is extremely difficult to execute properly.
•Heavy DTilt combos into Hadoken up until around 34%
•Light Uptilt combos into Up B. With inputs this and any other similar combo KOs Mario on FD at 100% or Higher.
•Nair Combos into Jab Combo/Light UpTilt

As for my methods I set it to Training Mario on FD with Controller so no Auto DIing, I'm not sure what Rage will do for Ryu other than make UpB K.O. a lot faster, That throw thing, and Heavy Down Tilt combo less, but this is what I've been able to find otherwise.

I heard some rumblings about Ryus Parry thing having special qualities but what do you guys think?

EDIT: I've also been encountering what I assume is a Glitch with the Focus Attack. Where it'll hit Behind Ryu if I reverse it JUST before he attacks, anyone else encountering this?

Last edited:

SoulCrystal

Smash Rookie
If thats the move i'm thinking of (where he jabs his elbow up) It has a lot of potential. Assuming your opponent doesn't jump or DI out of it, you can kinda juggle them to do about 30ish damage. GrimR tested it out earlier and used Dthrow(I believe) into the weak uptilt and ended up with about 64%. Don't quote me on this though, it was a lot earlier in the day and my memory can be kinda shoddy. But its good to add some damage on with as they can't easily get out of the first five or six jabs. You could probably combo it into an upsmash or shoryuken to deal more, as the uptilt doesn't ever juggle them too far up.

ancara22

Smash Apprentice
Did some more testing, and I've stumbled upon something huge:

If you powershield with Ryu, it looks and sounds just like a Third Strike parry. And if correct, it even works the same way. A guy I know who's good at powershielding testing it out on multihit stuff like Robin's arcfire and elthunder, plus some other things including Ryu's own HCB version of his Hadouken. If done right, you can "parry" every single frame of the attack nicely and both without any damage and also no loss of shield strength. It can even make some moves that would normally be a pain in the ass for shields (good old Marth and co come to mind) less of an issue with one well-timed parry. And best of all, it's easy to know when you've done it right, via Third Strike parry sound effect when it's done.

This combined with what seems to be quite a lot of mobility with aerial Focus Attack Dash Canceling, seems to just open the floodgates for how good he truly is.

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
Ryu falls to lots of projectiles and gimping. ROB or Villager might **** him up a little bad, but not too awful.

Also no idea where this would go but this is HUGE.

ancara22

Smash Apprentice
Ryu falls to lots of projectiles and gimping. ROB or Villager might **** him up a little bad, but not too awful.

Also no idea where this would go but this is HUGE.
That's it, we're done here. Ryu can literally counter a counter. RIP in pepperonis Marth, Lucina, Ike, Roy, Muh Nado Boy, Mac and so forth.

ArcDawn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1993-8333-6433
Did some more testing, and I've stumbled upon something huge:

If you powershield with Ryu, it looks and sounds just like a Third Strike parry. And if correct, it even works the same way. A guy I know who's good at powershielding testing it out on multihit stuff like Robin's arcfire and elthunder, plus some other things including Ryu's own HCB version of his Hadouken. If done right, you can "parry" every single frame of the attack nicely and both without any damage and also no loss of shield strength. It can even make some moves that would normally be a pain in the *** for shields (good old Marth and co come to mind) less of an issue with one well-timed parry. And best of all, it's easy to know when you've done it right, via Third Strike parry sound effect when it's done.

This combined with what seems to be quite a lot of mobility with aerial Focus Attack Dash Canceling, seems to just open the floodgates for how good he truly is.
Can you confirm this with fast multihit moves (Fox jab combo comes to mind). If it's an actually parry we're in for some fun
aldkfjaldkfj as a street fighter player I'm really impressed with this iteration of ryu. Anyone who's doing the reverse FA, it was mentioned in the direct it's not a glitch.

Now, we just need some good ole M. Bison

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
In case if you guys don't know yet, you can negative edge Ryu's inputs. Meaning, if you press the A button and hold it, it acts as another input upon release. So do down+A (hold), then link QCF or DP + RELEASE A.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Weak Down-Tilt + Shoryuken (or input-Shoryuken) seems to be extremely consistent once the enemy has a few %. So you can in theory Focus Attack->Weak Down-Tilt->Input Shoryuken and kill with it pretty early.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Why are people having trouble killing with Ryu? True Shoryuken is all you need. Motion input is the way to go and you will end people consistently before they hit 120%. Block anything unsafe and they will meet their demise.

Ryu has the most devastating punish in the game.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I find myself just using his strong neutral A to KO in a lot of situations.

It has a good amount of range on it and is surprisingly quick for powerful it is.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
So, guys, any point at all in using the weaker versions of his special moves, except the fact that they're "quicker" to execute in a tight situation?

Top Bottom