• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Lab: What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
... which raises the point... given the productivity of these public "Smash Lab" threads, is it really necessary for the Smash Lab to be an exclusive group? Or could we just have an "official" pool of public threads dedicated to resolving the mystery of particular topics?
Ur forgetting, Elitism rocks.:)

But I think that its a matter of what we want most: validity and accuracy, or speed and variety of thought?

infomon

Smash Scientist
Openness and transparency are reasonable goals as well :)

But really, I don't think validity and accuracy suffer when everyone's allowed to contribute. It might take a bit more organization, say for a Lab "official" to take correct/validated information and put it in the OP of each thread. But I think the trade-off is worth it.

For example, in the thread [Using Aerials for Recovery], a smash child (June 2k8 joiner, still has less than 100 posts) came in with crazy ideas that you could fastfall an aerial before reaching the apex of your vertical trajectory. Ulevo and myself initially dismissed his ideas, but it turned out he was quite right and had good methods to prove it.

I wouldn't want to carelessly dismiss the involvement of such ppl. Especially since it encourages the growth of the smash community at large.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Openness and transparency are reasonable goals as well :)

But really, I don't think validity and accuracy suffer when everyone's allowed to contribute. It might take a bit more organization, say for a Lab "official" to take correct/validated information and put it in the OP of each thread. But I think the trade-off is worth it.

For example, in the thread [Using Aerials for Recovery], a smash child (June 2k8 joiner, still has less than 100 posts) came in with crazy ideas that you could fastfall an aerial before reaching the apex of your vertical trajectory. Ulevo and myself initially dismissed his ideas, but it turned out he was quite right and had good methods to prove it.

I wouldn't want to carelessly dismiss the involvement of such ppl. Especially since it encourages the growth of the smash community at large.
Never doubt by post count, it a simple matter of response.
And yeah I saw that, it was a really good idea on his part, but I feel a more secluded group to research, make a discovery or bring up a huge topic, and then share with the rest of the community.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Never doubt by post count, it a simple matter of response.
.... but new members of the boards won't be allowed into SmashLab, so that could be considered "doubting by post count". :psycho:

I feel a more secluded group to research, make a discovery or bring up a huge topic, and then share with the rest of the community.
Yipes, you're implying that the SmashLab discussions won't even be publicly viewable, until they're "chosen" to be revealed to the community? I hope that's not the case / not what you meant. I'd hope at the least that we can all see the Smash Lab discussions, even if posting privileges are restricted.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
.... but new members of the boards won't be allowed into SmashLab, so that could be considered "doubting by post count". :psycho:

Yipes, you're implying that the SmashLab discussions won't even be publicly viewable, until they're "chosen" to be revealed to the community? I hope that's not the case / not what you meant. I'd hope at the least that we can all see the Smash Lab discussions, even if posting privileges are restricted.
No thats not what i meant, i meant you bring findings from the Smash Lab to the table once it seems like a solid foundation, not some alpha-type theory. But yes your idea seems corrrect, like the Debate Hall (which i still haven't been accepted into but i see other random people are, questions?)

M.K

Level 55
Post count shouldn't mean anything. It's like racial or sexual sterotypes, but with post count.
Everyone had 50 posts at one time, but that doesn't mean that we don't have our own say in things.
Amen to the Cyan!

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I'm really fine with waiting. If I got in, I'd rather wait until after my finals to really put though into the Lab.

M.K

Level 55
I'm really fine with waiting. If I got in, I'd rather wait until after my finals to really put though into the Lab.
Hmm, you live in NC, too? What high school?
I have finals too X_x I guess we should wait for Panda regardless of when he posts.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Infzy that the Lab should be open. It's not like this is an opinion-based MK argument thread. The quantifiable nature of this kind of thing fosters quicker results with more community consensus. If it's another elitist group, then people will argue more, just to compete against the others.

M.K

Level 55
I agree with Infzy that the Lab should be open. It's not like this is an opinion-based MK argument thread. The quantifiable nature of this kind of thing fosters quicker results with more community consensus. If it's another elitist group, then people will argue more, just to compete against the others.
Not quite. The members that are to be accepted into the lab should have proven their ability to work with others for a common goal. This isn't the Debate Hall, where you are forced to go against your fellow posters.
The Smash Lab community thread is one of the nicest ones on these boards. I never see any flaming, and if someone is wrong about something, a poster kindly points it out and corrects them.
Oh yeah, the Smash Lab is gonna be so much fun.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
*the following has no bearing on my personal opinion, I'm merely representing an unrepresented side, so that both sides are presented, regardless of what may actually be the case*

You must admit that having the smash lab be private, and having the threads made public when complete also offers benefits over the always public method. Having discussion publicly viewable before a conclusion/consensus is found could add confusion to the community. Furthermore, only the complete results really matter to the general audience, so keeping discussion publicly viewable the entire doesn't add much to the community.

*keep in mind that this post is purely for arguments sake, and that I don't care one way or the other which way it ends up being*

Mmac

Smash Lord
Pfff... Fighting over Cyan Names, have you no shame?

I can't deny, I want Cyan name too! >_<

But I put research first before fancy colours.

Can we have at least another Technique/Property to discuss?

Browny

Smash Hater
Im sure SP knows what hes doing... no point arguing over whether it should be open or not if there really is a problem people will see it in due time, you cant argue why it should be open with nothing but assumptions of what will go wrong

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
You must admit that having the smash lab be private, and having the threads made public when complete also offers benefits over the always public method. Having discussion publicly viewable before a conclusion/consensus is found could add confusion to the community. Furthermore, only the complete results really matter to the general audience, so keeping discussion publicly viewable the entire doesn't add much to the community.
Yes, I agree. The lab should be private. I don't see much sense in having it open so people can read the assumptions. What if they take a theory for granted? That would lead to confusion among the users.

Besides, it's not about the post count, it's about how XY contributed to the research so they'd be accepted.

The only thing I could imagine would be a sticky thread in Brawl Tactical or something, showing what project is worked on in the Lab right now.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Recently it was found that GW's bucket (and a few other specials) can be used to stop momentum from a large hit... letting you live longer than "normal techniques".

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=UuXBIYnMuTE

Explain why it happens and why with those particular specials.
I think it has to deal with the Bucket swinging out from G&W, or other moves pushing forward. This probably produces a forward momentum on ground and in air.

Junk PM me some of the moves please.

Hard to call for now, on my way to school.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I think it has to deal with the Bucket swinging out from G&W, or other moves pushing forward. This probably produces a forward momentum on ground and in air.

Junk PM me some of the moves please.

Hard to call for now, on my way to school.
I'd say it's exactly what the video says: an oversight in the programming of the bucket. I think what most momentum canceling moves do is save the momentum before the input, and then call that variable when the move is over. GaW's bucket apparently doesn't do that. From a programming standpoint, I think that makes the most sense.

It would be interesting to test if this applies only to knockback momentum, though.

Hmm, you live in NC, too? What high school?
UNC-CH

infomon

Smash Scientist
It would be interesting to test if this applies only to knockback momentum, though.
What other types of momentum are there? :o
Those moves also stop your aerial mobility even if it's under your control.

I'm like, sure it's an oversight, it doesn't make sense otherwise. I doubt there's much left here for the Labbers to explore...

M.K

Level 55
What other types of momentum are there? :o
Those moves also stop your aerial mobility even if it's under your control.

I'm like, sure it's an oversight, it doesn't make sense otherwise. I doubt there's much left here for the Labbers to explore...
There is non-disruptive knockback (Squirtle's Water Gun, Mario's FLUDD/Cape, Pit's Shield)

infomon

Smash Scientist
Oh, I see. Well, the Bucket freezes G&W's aerial momentum even in those cases; if he's in the air. Along the ground, the bucket will slide due to those forces.

I can only assume that Yoshi's side-B and DK's up-B have the same behaviour.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Yep, I tested them all, and found those three to be exceptional.
Although, feel free to test out your main, especially if there are any weird ATs involving their specials that I didn't experiment with.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
You guys test most stuff first because you timezones are hella different from mine, most of this stuff was posted aroun 5 am EST lol

M.K

Level 55
Yep, I tested them all, and found those three to be exceptional.
Although, feel free to test out your main, especially if there are any weird ATs involving their specials that I didn't experiment with.
Definetly, definetly try Zero Suit Samus' NAir --> Flip Jump.
I would, but I have practice in about....15 seconds :/

Adapt

Smash Lord
I think uair ends faster than nair, but I'm fairly certain that flip-jump will not cancel your momentum like the bucket.

Although, I am kinda interested in whether there is a difference in the result based on whether you use the kick or not.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Definetly, definetly try Zero Suit Samus' NAir --> Flip Jump.
I would, but I have practice in about....15 seconds :/
Nair isn't her fastest aerial, is it? When I tested her, it seemed like Fair at least was faster, but it didn't really matter lol. Her up-B I think helps againset knockback, but still gives her a boost away..... I'm pretty sure that's what happened. It certainly wasn't G&W-broken :( sorry.

Edit: gwaa, Adapt beat me to it lol

Anyway...

SmashLab:
or can I call you SmashLabians, or would that be bad? lol
I have a question for you. As I've brought up, using most momentum-changing Specials during knockback causes you to receive an extra boost away from the stage; a sort of penalty for trying to cheat the recovery system. I'm wondering what determines the strength of this boost. It's somehow proportional to the amount of knockback force on your character, so the earlier you use a Special, the more it will push you away. Nevertheless, I think the strength of the boost is also dependent on the Special itself; since Sonic's side-B gives only a very small boost, but some seem to give inappropriately-large boosts.

I want to know exactly what determines the strength of the boost. I think experimenting with this would probably involve the use of homebrew hax, which I can't use yet.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Nair isn't her fastest aerial, is it? When I tested her, it seemed like Fair at least was faster, but it didn't really matter lol. Her up-B I think helps againset knockback, but still gives her a boost away..... I'm pretty sure that's what happened. It certainly wasn't G&W-broken :( sorry.

Edit: gwaa, Adapt beat me to it lol

Anyway...

SmashLab:
or can I call you SmashLabians, or would that be bad? lol
I have a question for you. As I've brought up, using most momentum-changing Specials during knockback causes you to receive an extra boost away from the stage; a sort of penalty for trying to cheat the recovery system. I'm wondering what determines the strength of this boost. It's somehow proportional to the amount of knockback force on your character, so the earlier you use a Special, the more it will push you away. Nevertheless, I think the strength of the boost is also dependent on the Special itself; since Sonic's side-B gives only a very small boost, but some seem to give inappropriately-large boosts.

I want to know exactly what determines the strength of the boost. I think experimenting with this would probably involve the use of homebrew hax, which I can't use yet.
Brawl's Physics Engine and a little test from Nintendo, since we all know they are against competitive nature and penalize you for trying.

Lol, if only we had a form of debug, maybe it is available thru some homebrew, I need LoZ:TP real quick...

MuBa

Smash Lord
There is no debug menu in Brawl. But there are some codes I've actually considered to ask such as being able to color-coat hitboxes so we can get a better idea of what they look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom