• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Lab: What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
From Vyse's sig, I'm guessing he's played the best game ever made (ever 17 - in case he changes his sig lol)

M.K

Level 55
Don't we all wait in suspense? It's killing me, I check this thread like clockwork.
I'm going to be so dissapointed if I'm not accepted. I know I should be readying my concious for possible failure, but I'm very adamant about doing something for the community.
It isn't every day that the mods say "Hey guys, we need help to further the metagame, can you help?".

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Don't we all wait in suspense? It's killing me, I check this thread like clockwork.
I'm going to be so dissapointed if I'm not accepted. I know I should be readying my concious for possible failure, but I'm very adamant about doing something for the community.
It isn't every day that the mods say "Hey guys, we need help to further the metagame, can you help?".
Sam here man. I think i found a potential Smash Lab partner (considering if eithe rof us get in).

M.K

Level 55
Sam here man. I think i found a potential Smash Lab partner (considering if eithe rof us get in).
Haha, that makes sense. "Lab Partners".
I'm assuming this will work something like the American Congress, in which groups of people will congregate to investigate things in the metagame.
Now....if we could only find out who those people are....
=D

crewster

Smash Lord
This is what I think:

This thread will be closed, unstikied and left to die in the mass of the GBD, when the first draft is out.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Some delays have been happening with the invites. I'll hope to get them out later this week, though.

Browny

Smash Hater
We should still be given a chance to write an app jeez... im sure theres plenty of other people in my case who have done a lot of research most people would never know about since it only exists on 1 characters forums

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Kinda everything has been answered, tested out and verified through several contributors in this thread, so yes. The "mystery" has been lifted.

MuBa

Smash Lord
Has no one answered this puzzle about D3's grabs yet? Or someone has but SP just hasn't noticed?
I've answered that question many posts ago. The main thing with D3's grab is hitstun. It's not the angle, it's just hitstun. I can even prove it just by adding more hitstun with the hack that's been recently found and everyone will fall on the ground like Kirby, MK, and all the other what it seems like the "light" characters have.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
We should still be given a chance to write an app jeez... im sure theres plenty of other people in my case who have done a lot of research most people would never know about since it only exists on 1 characters forums
That's the second wave.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I've answered that question many posts ago. The main thing with D3's grab is hitstun. It's not the angle, it's just hitstun. I can even prove it just by adding more hitstun with the hack that's been recently found and everyone will fall on the ground like Kirby, MK, and all the other what it seems like the "light" characters have.
My findings (as in milliseconds findings) also say that speed of thrown character is also a factor.

Adapt

Smash Lord
My findings (as in milliseconds findings) also say that speed of thrown character is also a factor.
Yes is definitely is, back on page 4 I did a bit of stuff about the knockback (speed) of all characters

But the reason that people fall down and bounce is related to hitstun (lighter characters suffer more from hitstun)

I took a bit of a broader view of the whole thing. The chaingrab itself has a definite trend. The trick is to find out why Mario, Luigi and Samus are different from the rest of the cast.

It isn't because of fall speed or weight as you will soon see. The second column is the knockback of the Dthrow on the character.

ICGD (Infinite Chain Grab with no Decay)

M.K

Level 55
Excuse me Adapt, but in that chart (which is beautifully constructed and very informative) what do the numbers in the "DDD Dthrow" column represent?

Adapt

Smash Lord
That is the knockback (as stated by the game engine). You can find it on your statistics at the end of every match.

I find it much more precise than to try and estimate knockback some other way

M.K

Level 55
That is the knockback (as stated by the game engine). You can find it on your statistics at the end of every match.

I find it much more precise than to try and estimate knockback some other way
Oh, alright. I see now...
It does seem that the heavier characters have lower knockback rates (which is understandable), but what explains Fox? He has the most knockback, yet he is not the lightest character. Would his abnormal fall speed account for his position in the chart?

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
It does seem that the heavier characters have lower knockback rates (which is understandable), but what explains Fox? He has the most knockback, yet he is not the lightest character. Would his abnormal fall speed account for his position in the chart?
although i cant fully test it:
its because fox is a faster faller, since he hits the ground harder it gives him more horizontal distance

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
although i cant fully test it:
its because fox is a faster faller, since he hits the ground harder it gives him more horizontal distance

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Yes, exactly.

Adapt

Smash Lord
I have a lot of info that I learned from doing this research...

Notice how at a certain point fall speed starts to matter (around Zelda and lower) Everything else follows the weight list exactly.
And this is the exact point that DDD can't chaingrab the character.
MuBa has mentioned that at higher hitstun everyone falls to the ground, which indicates that the knockback at which fall speed starts to matter and the hitstun value are related.

I'm looking into this with other 0 knockback growth moves right now whenever I have time to do some testing

infomon

Smash Scientist
Can we have another question, please? This is too fun! Maybe the "lucario aura sphere stick" glitch, or something else?
... which raises the point... given the productivity of these public "Smash Lab" threads, is it really necessary for the Smash Lab to be an exclusive group? Or could we just have an "official" pool of public threads dedicated to resolving the mystery of particular topics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom