• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Lab: What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
So I was chilling with Infzy today since I'm now in Ottawa, and I showed him my NEW theory on Tornado. I am REALLY onto something but since I'm not in this elitist group known as the Smash Lab, I'm going to let him do the rest of the work and explain it.

Stay tuned.
I really hope we don't appear to be elitist. We are still a small group, and we desperately need numbers, but I do not want to add the "wrong" sort of people back there to completely ruin the bright future we have ahead of us. I'm not saying that any of the people who want to get in are the "wrong" sort of people, but I am simply giving a quick explanation for why we are still quite strict with who is allowed entry.

Also, in case any of you are curious, Scotu has made a great system of classifying different types of entrants into the Smash Lab. This is great for reference, and you can see if you fit into any of the archetypes (of course, mixing is also allowed):

Frame Data Gatherer: These people have a vid capture device, and the software to view the video in frame time. They count the number of frames for specific actions and states.

Number Cruncher: These people are the kinds of people who research brawl quantitatively using the values the game gives us. They find themselves frequently starting matches, doing one thing, quitting, and checking the stats at the end. They frequently use Excel (or other software) to find trends and potential equations.

Hacker: These people are adept at using Ocarina to find new codes, or test existing codes to try to find out things about brawl. Requires your wii to be homebrew hacked.

Videographer: These people are adept at making videos demonstrating brawl techniques, mechanics, and other things. They have video editing software, and the ability to capture gameplay footage.

General Researcher: these people just go around looking for new things and occasionally stumble upon something no one has noticed before.
Currently, General Researcher is what most people try to enter as, and they are the lowest priority and most common of all applicants. We don't particularly need many General Researchers, especially because someone who fills other rolls will often also take the roll of General Researcher.

M.K

Level 55
I would classify myself as a "Number Cruncher".
I take the load off of the other jobs in order to provide a baseline for them....

Adapt

Smash Lord
Like Meta-Kirby a number cruncher. I also do a lot of testing looking at kill percentages, DI related info, and launch angles. (This stuff doesn't appear at the end of a match though)

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I would classify myself as Frame Data and/or Videographer - perhaps "Number Cruncher", as well - however, due to the lack of video capturing devices (as of now), I cannot provide said videos.

But I've kinda lost my interest into the Smash Lab... I was all eager about it as it was announced, but I doubt I could be that much of a help anyway.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I'm probably under Frame data, number cruncher (helped with the lucario aura augment formula), and Theorist (Someone who looks at an overall picture, and determines from it, as well as using general rules/theorems to support phenomena that occurs in "questions").

I hope I have enough to qualify, as I have obviously shown genuine enthusiasm for the field.

Can someone vouch 4 me plz?:ohwell:

M.K

Level 55
I'm probably under Frame data, number cruncher (helped with the lucario aura augment formula), and Theorist (Someone who looks at an overall picture, and determines from it, as well as using general rules/theorems to support phenomena that occurs in "questions").

I hope I have enough to qualify, as I have obviously shown genuine enthusiasm for the field.

Can someone vouch 4 me plz?:ohwell:
I hear you, brother.
I'm pretty much grasping at straws.
First I decide to tackle a project, and then I realize "how would this help the community?"
Then I realize that I would need frame data collection equipment or a video camera to be useful. Then I become upset, and realize that....I'm trying to do as much as possible, but I still can't.
Any advice? I know that previous members had a "question" to answer. Can us...ahem...3rd string players get a question?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
See, here's the thing: I've done frame data for my boards, did a help thread based almost entirely on analysis and move data findings, helped with the first "DDD chaingrab" question (found officially that speed of thrown character was one of the factors that changed, as the thrown character after a decayed throw moved from a farther spot in the same time as the regrab), and have expressed interest and such. I'm trying not to sound like a whining person, so I'm asking instead of "aren't these things enough?", "WHAT ELSE do I need to do to get on this bandwagon"?

Browny

Smash Hater
phil whatever you do, dont take a look at the amount of work youve done, and compare it to other members who got in ahead of you. It will just make you angry.
lol name search scotu panda , you know exactly what im getting at

Levitas

the moon
I'm sure you didn't just call out two different moderators and insult their contributions to the community thus far. Samurai panda is the founder, and scotu's done plenty. I really hope I misread your post.

Browny

Smash Hater
**** the internet and its seriousness of business

my point was, I've done a ton of my own research in brawl, participated in this DDD thing from the start, fit 4/5 categories scotu posted before, got nominated + submitted an app. And get absolutely no reply. no reasoning as to why i wasnt let in. Only thing left for me to do is wonder what the hell I did wrong, besides maining Sonic.

and how on earth did you take what I wrote as an insult. ive read it over and over and its fine to me? anyone should be able to understand what my point was

Levitas

the moon
I can understand why you're frustrated. Calling out the people in charge of a group you want to be a part of is NOT the solution. PMs are.

And believe it or not, maining sonic probably had absolutely nothing to do with your entry.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I would just like to know if I've been denied, are they considering it, or what....

Until then, I could care less for the blue name and I'll continue testing. Largest reason I want in, is to know what they are working on.... so I can either help test it, or not test something that they are near done with, and end up wasting a lot of my time.

Also, I noticed M2K asked a question about MK's up-B (which I was the only person to do testing for that I know of), and hes a Researcher. Did he just choose to go to the MK boards or was that some sort of setup? Because it was a bit to simple to theorize and solve, the Researchers or himself could have easily 'solved' it and it seemed fishy to me.

M.K

Level 55
I would just like to know if I've been denied, are they considering it, or what....

Until then, I could care less for the blue name and I'll continue testing. Largest reason I want in, is to know what they are working on.... so I can either help test it, or not test something that they are near done with, and end up wasting a lot of my time.

Also, I noticed M2K asked a question about MK's up-B (which I was the only person to do testing for that I know of), and hes a Researcher. Did he just choose to go to the MK boards or was that some sort of setup? Because it was a bit to simple to theorize and solve, the Researchers or himself could have easily 'solved' it and it seemed fishy to me.
I agree. I'm pretty much in the dark on what the Smash Lab would like to know.
I want to know what to HELP about, not just...something someone already knows.

I mean, there are CLEARLY just a few (four or five at best) who are still interested in being Smash Researchers. It isn't like a huge crowd of people lining up at the doors of the Smash Lab. Our small group would just like to know some basic things.

**** the internet and its seriousness of business

my point was, I've done a ton of my own research in brawl, participated in this DDD thing from the start, fit 4/5 categories scotu posted before, got nominated + submitted an app. And get absolutely no reply. no reasoning as to why i wasnt let in. Only thing left for me to do is wonder what the hell I did wrong, besides maining Sonic.

and how on earth did you take what I wrote as an insult. ive read it over and over and its fine to me? anyone should be able to understand what my point was
This is basically how I feel.
I've submitted an app, participated in both of the discussions (King Dedede and knockback reduction with stale moves), and yet, I have not received notification of my denial or a "thanks for your contributions", not even something telling me what I've done wrong.
As I stated before, there isn't much of a line-up FOR the Smash Lab.
Off the top of my head, I've got 4-6 people, including myself. If there ARE more people, I am not informed.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
anyone with a video capture device (NOT A CAMERA) that can capture at 30fps interlaced or 60fps, is interested in joining the smash lab as a frame data researcher, please PM me of your interest, links to past work, and any experience you have or not. We're working on a big character frame data project now and need more frame data researchers.

SuSa

I use a 30fps camera, so that cuts me out sadly. I deinterlace it using VirtualDub, and count the frames in the preview. Haven't seemed to run into any problems with testing this way....yet...

Funny how my frame data is pretty accurate to those people using video capture decides and such.... (I differ by 1 frame on maybe.. a single move?, but I need to recount that move. It's most likely my error....or the previous frame testers error)

All well, maybe something else some time in the future...

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I use a 30fps camera, so that cuts me out sadly. I deinterlace it using VirtualDub, and count the frames in the preview. Haven't seemed to run into any problems with testing this way....yet...

Funny how my frame data is pretty accurate to those people using video capture decides and such.... (I differ by 1 frame on maybe.. a single move?, but I need to recount that move. It's most likely my error....or the previous frame testers error)

All well, maybe something else some time in the future...
sorry, we're using 100% standardized, consistent, and accurate methods, so even if your numbers are close (or have even been perfect so far), they wouldn't be standardized, nor consistent, and could not be guaranteed to be accurate.

although, i know your name's come up recently in nominations for other merits

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
well, i guess im out, i dont own a camera, video capturing devices, hell i dont even have a wii so i cant even hack.all i can do is collect data thats already been found and modify it.

i would be a hacker, but without the tools i cant do anythingT.T

SuSa

sorry, we're using 100% standardized, consistent, and accurate methods, so even if your numbers are close (or have even been perfect so far), they wouldn't be standardized, nor consistent, and could not be guaranteed to be accurate.

although, i know your name's come up recently in nominations for other merits
Oh, I fully understand. My ways are prone to a possible error or difference then someone elses. Unless I test every bit of frame data and compare it with others, and its exactly the same, there is no way to guarantee my information, however close it may be.

But close* data right now is better then no data for some characters.

Close* off by 2 frames or less. So far I'm positive in the accuracy of my data as I've compared it to incomplete data gathered by others, but I still give it room for possible human error.

Also, may I submit another application or PM to add a part? I would also like to be a Number Cruncher, and I can be, but didn't bother putting it in my application (I rushed my application a bit)

/if I had a Gecko I could hack as well, but right now I only have a softmodded wii.

M.K

Level 55
Also, may I submit another application or PM to add a part? I would also like to be a Number Cruncher, and I can be, but didn't bother putting it in my application (I rushed my application a bit)
Urk, yes, may I as well? I hate asking, but I submitted my application WAY back when I wasn't fully understanding of the requirements.
I'd like to be a Number Cruncher as well.

Levitas

the moon
well, i guess im out, i dont own a camera, video capturing devices, hell i dont even have a wii so i cant even hack.all i can do is collect data thats already been found and modify it.

i would be a hacker, but without the tools i cant do anythingT.T
at least it seems you play touhou. click on my sig sometime and we'll talk about touhou.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Smash Lab application

To aid the nomination process for new members, I figured it'd be better to at least have people posting their reasons/experience/intent in a standardized application form. There are NOT official applications that will necessarily be reviewed by the lab (I haven't run this idea past panda yet), but I can at least guarantee that the people in charge of admissions and nominations will see them.

Categories

First off list what categories you fall into, listing them in order of your strongest to weakest suit.

Frame Data Gatherer: These people have a vid capture device (not a camera; must be able to capture 30fps interlaced or 60fps), and the software to view the video in frame time. They count the number of frames for specific actions and states.

Number Cruncher: These people are the kinds of people who research brawl quantitatively using the values the game gives us. They find themselves frequently starting matches, doing one thing, quitting, and checking the stats at the end. They frequently use Excel (or other software) to find trends and potential equations.

Hacker: These people are adept at using Ocarina to find new codes, or test existing codes to try to find out things about brawl. Requires your wii to be homebrew hacked.

Videographer: These people are adept at making videos demonstrating brawl techniques, mechanics, and other things. They have video editing software, and the ability to capture gameplay footage in high quality.

General Researcher: these people just go around looking for new things and occasionally stumble upon something no one has noticed before.

Experience

Please list your specific experience, describing your major contributions, with links to threads/post indicating you know what you're doing in each researcher category you belong to.

Interest

What aspects of the game interest you the most? why?

Browny

Smash Hater
Do I have to post all the stuff ive done again? I already submitted everything I have with the nomination from Vyse and i deleted my 'best move in the game' essay response lol

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Do I have to post all the stuff ive done again? I already submitted everything I have with the nomination from Vyse and i deleted my 'best move in the game' essay response lol
I'm not forcing anyone to apply. I'm just giving people a chance to if they want to apply.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Thank you for the application info. Btw, I don't have a capture device, but I have a really good frame analyzing program, one that is used by olympic coaches to analyze clips of their athletes. Does that help me much?

M.K

Level 55
I will send my application to SCOTU quite promptly. Thank you for the opportunity!

EDIT: ****, sorry SCOTU :/

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
No, don't post applications here. The Smash Lab definitely needs more members, and I guess it may be time to open a public applications thread. Wait a bit for Scotu, Ankoku, and I to make a good application, and we will post a stickied thread in the GBD here for it when we're done. Until then, hold off on posting reasons why you believe you should be back here or any type of application.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
K, good to know. I kind of figured that it wouldn't be so good here (it would get buried pretty quickly under the other posts in here).

Niko_K

Smash Master
I would definitely fall into:

Frame Data Gatherer: I have a Dazzle and am responsible for this thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=191426

Videographer: Once again I have a Dazzle, I've made 2 combo videos and have found multiple AT's and have made videos demonstrating what they are and how to do them.

General Researcher: Self explanatory.

EDIT: Left this sitting open in quick reply without posting, then realized SP said not to post....hmmm

M.K

Level 55
*sigh*

Don't post it, then post it, then don't post it....
...should I take mine down? It doesn't really impede anything ._. And how long is it going to take to get this new "application" thread up?

Seriously, guys, when doing these public admissions, please remember the few of us who actually stuck to this thread from the beginning. I don't want to be blown off for some other person who only applied because they knew it was open admissions (aka, has not posted in this thread before)

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
uhh

just an update if you guys have no clue why we arent doing anything w. applicants

we're waiting for a site to get done so we can easily enter our data, we've had some difficulties with the script writers but it should hopefully get done sometime soon and then new people will be let in the lab.

i think

i dont know anything

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
yo samurai Panda, read and respond to your PMs lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom