• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Starfox triangle

listentomook

Smash Apprentice
why does everything have to be the same...personally im satisfied with falco fox and wolf... so there wasnt an added female character o well...who cares how many sexy girls even play this game? hmmm none...prolly... plus im more for representing starfox 64 than anything considering all the other ones sort of slacked... starfox wii please be sick as 64

Burb

The Absolute Worst
ITT:

A less subtle version of the usual "BAAAAWWWWW! ME WISH KRYSTAL WAS IN! BAAAAAWWWW!"

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I'm glad you've noticed that many game series' have a damsel in distress (Peach, Zelda). However, that's no reason to determine a cast listing for Brawl, and moreover, it's already been determined. Spilt milk.

That aside, your reasoning isn't even valid in of itself - after all, the pokemon have no gender, and MOTHER gave us 2 boys (Yaoi?)
You know I was actually on the OP's side until you posted...I think you points have good points..But I will say I wish they would of did the OP'S thoery to determine the roster for the DK series then it could of been Diddy>K. Rool<Dixie....and DK would of stood just because he's DK...

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
First things first.

Falco is simply the generic sidekick (no more important than Peppy or Slippy),

I haven't played starfox adventures, assault or command.
If you know you haven't played, then how can you say falco is less important than peppy or slippy? He's part of starfox, their ace pilot and fox's best friend. To say that falco isn't more important than peppy or slippy is like saying diddy kong is more important than DK himself or saying that mario isn't more important than bowser, think before you say something like that

Red&Silver

Smash Journeyman
falco is way cooler and better then krystal in my opinon
to me krystal looks like a female fox and i rather be a cool bird then a a purple fox who looks like the hero o.o
but yet agian thats just me so i say fox-wolf-falco

spindash

Smash Ace
To be more honest, Wolf has done more for the series. When he first showed up in Star Fox 64, he brought along a memorable team that was, while a cheap knockoff of the true band of mercenaries for the Lylat System (Star Fox), Star Wolf has been memorable to the series. Krystal has a lot going for her as a love interest to Fox, but I can't help but feel that Wolf has seniority over her when it comes to significance. It would seem that Sakurai and his team feel the same.

Falco? Of anyone of Star Fox, or the entire series of games, he is considered the best of the best. He's the Ace Pilot of Star Fox, and practically like a first mate for the team. If they were ever pirates, you can count on Fox being the captain with Falco being the first mate. Not exactly a side kick, but relatively close enough. He's also been there from the VERY beginning. There hasn't been a single Star Fox game that he's missed out on. Not even Star Fox Adventures where he helped you defeat Andross in the end. This homegame popularity, coupled with his Smash Bros. popularity is more then enough reason for him to make a return over Krystal and even Wolf if it came down to that.

Would I be happier with Fox, Falco, Wolf, AND Krystal in Brawl? Of course I would be. But who are the more important ones? Fox, Falco, and Wolf; this is just my opinion, remember that.

Who needs a triangle just because the series usually has a hero, a villain, and a damsel in distress? Pokémon didn't get this and it's one of the biggest franchises in the world. So where's Mewtwo or even Misty while we're at it? Get what I'm saying?

I'm happy with Fox, Falco, and Wolf. And I would have wanted Wolf & Falco over Krystal in anycase. This isn't because a dislike for the character, but Wolf feels more significant to represent the series, in my opinion; the same goes for Falco.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
Wolf is awesome, there's no way I would replace him with Krystal.

Falco is pretty sweet too.

I have StarFox Adventures, and I think it's just an awful, awful game. For that reason, I have a rather deep-seated distaste towards Krystal, and I strongly prefer any characters from StarFox 64.

Therefore, the roster is perfect. ^.^

Shuma

Smash Hero
I think it's common knowledge that both Falco and Wolf are:

1. More important to the whole franchise than krystal

2. More Popular.

3. Have been on the franchise since day 1.

4. Unlike Krystal, they have appeared in the GOOD star fox games.

Wolf And Falco are more important than Krystal, one is the "good" rival, the other is the "Villain", why do we need a love interest in a FIGHTHING game?

By the way, Zelda is not link's love interest, i don't know where you got that idea. Zelda wields the Triforce of Wisdom, just like Ganon wields the Triforce of Power and Link the triforce of courage. That's why she is in, she is crucial to the story of the Zelda franchise.

Peach is important to the whole Mario franchise, withouth her there would be no adventure. What does Krystal add to the Star Fox games? eh?

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
You're whole Mario comparison is kind of weak. Luigi got in before Bowser AND Peach. So, according to your own logic, Falco should've gotten in before Wolf and Krystal, which he did. Also, Diddy got in, but K. Rool didn't. Apparently Sakurai finds partners and sidekicks more important than villains.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Peach is important to the whole Mario franchise, withouth her there would be no adventure. What does Krystal add to the Star Fox games? eh?
To be fair, Krystal played the same role in her debut game, although it was smaller in the franchise as a whole.

Seems to me that everyone hates Krystal because she wasn't in the one game that everyone cares about. I like the StarFox story as a whole, and Krystal's been a part of the story for three games now.

But anyway, my final opinion is that with regards to unique fighting style in Smash, Krystal had some cool stuff to offer, and probably would have had a more interesting moveset than one based off of Fox's. However, I have much respect for Falco and Wolf and feel that they did have seniority (I just wish Falco was a bit more changed).

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Seems to me that everyone hates Krystal because she wasn't in the one game that everyone cares about. I like the StarFox story as a whole, and Krystal's been a part of the story for three games now..
Lol, what story as a whole? You mean how they interrupted the main series to go an excursion to ZOMG DINOSAUR PLANET. Then with Assault made a game so unbearably bad that any sane 64 fan would've thrown the game away (or traded it in) in frustration before even thinking about the WAY super imaginative and TOTALLY AWESOME "plot?"

Oh ya, I love that story.

Command supposedly has a "better" story. But I'd given up on the series and had wasted too much money buying bad games by that point to trust it.

Edit: And to anyone wondering. Yes, I played Assault all the way through. Hated it the entire way through, but I still played it all the way through. I got rid of it immediately after I got finished with and have never touched it since.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Star Fox adventures ruined it for me, haven't touched a Star Fox game since then. Also, still, Krystal doesn't add anything important to the franchise.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Lol, what story as a whole? You mean how they interrupted the main series to go an excursion to ZOMG DINOSAUR PLANET. Then with Assault made a game so unbearably bad that any sane 64 fan would've thrown the game away (or traded it in) in frustration before even thinking about the WAY super imaginative and TOTALLY AWESOME "plot?"

Oh ya, I love that story.

Command supposedly has a "better" story. But I'd given up on the series and had wasted too much money buying bad games by that point to trust it.

Edit: And to anyone wondering. Yes, I played Assault all the way through. Hated it the entire way through, but I still played it all the way through. I got rid of it immediately after I got finished with and have never touched it since.
Ya, the Starfox story as a whole. I like it, so I must be right. :dizzy:

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Ya, the Starfox story as a whole. I like it, so I must be right. :dizzy:
I understand that you like it. You can if you want. But don't make it seem as if you're somehow above everybody else because you like Krystal cause "you like the story as a whole."

That's great and all, but don't act like you're somehow higher than us because you "appreciate the story" while most of us just appreciate games that don't suck.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I understand that you like it. You can if you want. But don't make it seem as if you're somehow above everybody else because you like Krystal cause "you like the story as a whole."

That's great and all, but don't act like you're somehow higher than us because you "appreciate the story" while most of us just appreciate games that don't suck.
Who said I was trying to be higher and mightier than any of you? Besides, I was just parodying what you and someone else were boiling over a few pages ago.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Who said I was trying to be higher and mightier than any of you? Besides, I was just parodying what you and someone else were boiling over a few pages ago.
I realize that.

And that's just the impression I'm getting off of what you're saying. Your implication that we don't like Krystal cause she's not in the "one game we care about." (Even though there's Star Fox and Star Fox 64) Is also kind of implying that we don't "appreciate the story" and you're somehow higher than us simple folk who just don't like bad games.

I know that might not be your mentality. But that's what it seems like. It just seems like you want a prize or something for being somehow a more loyal Star Fox fan or something.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
I've never played a Starfox game aside from SF64, so I don't know who Krystal is. However, anything's better than a clone.

Fox+Krystal+Wolf

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I realize that.

And that's just the impression I'm getting off of what you're saying. Your implication that we don't like Krystal cause she's not in the "one game we care about." (Even though there's Star Fox and Star Fox 64) Is also kind of implying that we don't "appreciate the story" and you're somehow higher than us simple folk who just don't like bad games.

I know that might not be your mentality. But that's what it seems like. It just seems like you want a prize or something for being somehow a more loyal Star Fox fan or something.
Psh, no, I'm just a fan. Truthfully, I never played all of StarFox 64 myself.

silver777

Smash Champion
In Akaneia, blasting every castle with a pink Land
People only wanted Krystal in the game just for her possible unique movest, and thats it.

EVERYWHERE I go it is the same thing:"I want Krystal beacuse she is female and will have a better moveset than Wolf" <<<thats the only thing thats going on for her.

She is not important, she is not iconic AND she is not popular as a StarFox character.

Wolf have all of these going for him, Krystal is just a supporter character.

So why include her instead of Wolf??? just because she will have a unique moveset???

...and she is a female?? give me a break!!

I am a girl, no, I don't feel insulted because there is few female fighters in the game.

But anyway, my final opinion is that with regards to unique fighting style in Smash, Krystal had some cool stuff to offer, and probably would have had a more interesting moveset than one based off of Fox's. However, I have much respect for Falco and Wolf and feel that they did have seniority (I just wish Falco was a bit more changed).

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
^ You're a girl? Didn't know that :)

Well, when you have as many people as there are that complain about 'clones', you'd think they'd appreciate something different. *

*not implying anything except seemingly contradictory trains of thought

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Psh, no, I'm just a fan. Truthfully, I never played all of StarFox 64 myself.
I would recommend it. Play it all the way through. Play it every which way you can. Play it on Expert.

I've just started to realize that there are actually younger gamers who don't even have that much experience with 64. Before it was something that had never really crossed my mind. I don't know if you're one of those younger gamers. But I would assume so, since you seem to have more experience with Gamecube.

It's on VC, right? Then go buy it. And play it.

But anyway, I think that's the real problem, there's a lot of critics and whatnot who actually didn't rate Adventures and Assault half bad (even though I don't think they're good games anyway, disregarding Star Fox) and the newer players who had been basically just playing during the Gamecube generation played games that were decent enough in quality while remaining unaware of the past few games, which are, honestly, so so much better.

It's weird to have that sense of "feeling old" when you're only 18, all because of the generational nature of video games.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Well, I had no idea who the heck Fox McCloud really was until I did some research after Melee came out. You could say I kinda missed out on much of the N64 era, but I'm 18 too. I have no doubt that 64 was an awesome game though, based on what little I did get to play of it a while ago. And I admit that Krystal was a pretty strange addition to the team (even I thought so at the end of Adventures), and I wish whoever was in charge of 64 would step back in and make a great game that represents everything that is currently Starfox very well.

/big paragraph

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Well, I had no idea who the heck Fox McCloud really was until I did some research after Melee came out. You could say I kinda missed out on much of the N64 era, but I'm 18 too. I have no doubt that 64 was an awesome game though, based on what little I did get to play of it a while ago. And I admit that Krystal was a pretty strange addition to the team (even I thought so at the end of Adventures), and I wish whoever was in charge of 64 would step back in and make a great game that represents everything that is currently Starfox very well.

/big paragraph
They won't, Nintendo basically whored out Star Fox to other companies and it's doubtful that the internal development teams will have anything to do with it anymore, especially considering the whole restructuring of EAD and the former R&D's. Just like it's doubtful Nintendo's own development teams will ever touch Metroid again.

Honestly, it seems to me like there's nobody else left at Nintendo particularly interested in Star Fox.

I'd rather they just let it die totally though, tbh.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
They won't, Nintendo basically whored out Star Fox to other companies and it's doubtful that the internal development teams will have anything to do with it anymore, especially considering the whole restructuring of EAD and the former R&D's. Just like it's doubtful Nintendo's own development teams will ever touch Metroid again.

Honestly, it seems to me like there's nobody else left at Nintendo particularly interested in Star Fox.

I'd rather they just let it die totally though, tbh.
Well, I'll be on the lookout anyway. The Starfox saga can't end yet,
not with Markus McCloud, never!

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I'm kind of wrong with my last statement. Nintendo EAD apparently did do some stuff on Command.

I'm not sure how much though, and it wasn't a strictly EAD venture. There was another developer involved.

So while they have "Touched it" I guess I should say I don't think Nintendo's going to fully take the reins ever again.

D.Q

Smash Apprentice
I believe Falco should get the spot, as he made it into more games. I mean, he has been in all Star Fox games that were "traditional" Star Fox games, while Krystal has only been in 3, and the one she made her debut is considered the worst Star Fox game. Besides, Falco is badass.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
"Starfox Adventures sucks" is an opinion you guys, quit stating it as fact. And plus, we can't help that Miyamoto decided to make Dinosaur Planet into Starfox Adventures, especially since it differed so much from regular Starfox games. Adventures is a really creative game, with an interesting storyline and interesting characters. Whether or not the game was successful does not change that Starfox Adventures had things that would have been used to make Krystal have a unique and interesting moveset.

They didn't choose to use her. That's all I see it as.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Well, I'll be on the lookout anyway. The Starfox saga can't end yet,
not with Markus McCloud, never!
Seriously, if that becomes part of the canon of the games, I will have lost all hope in Nintendo's handling of the series.

Top Bottom