• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Super Smash Bros. Roster Maker (Version 3.0 Available!!!)

Tunsie

Smash Rookie
I too am using a Mac and although I am having no trouble opening the application, all that I get is

I find myself unable to do much of anything with it. Any advice?

Jakor

Smash Ace
I too am using a Mac and although I am having no trouble opening the application, all that I get is

Hmm... I think the problem is you are not starting the program in the correct folder. First, make sure the folder "images" as well as the file "smashRoster.dat" are located in the main folder, where the ".exe" file is. Then open a terminal in this folder and use the following command:
java -jar ./dist/Smash_Roster_Maker.jar

Tunsie

Smash Rookie
Huzzah, it works! Many thanks. I can not wait to get started on this.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm going to go in one day and do Batch Five/Six, but those characters are so lame. It will be a while. Was hard enough to do batch four.

Anyways here we are!

Rosalina, Waluigi, Demis, Knuckle Joe, Porky, Kyle Hyde
Chibi Robo, Demille, Fawful, Prince Fluff, Funky Kong, Seres
Slippy, Jody Summer, Jimmy T, Ashley Robbins, Fossil Hunters M/F

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Ah, I was wondering what you were doing with that link to that Japanese site. I must say you've done a good job with those new icons, I just filled the backgrounds with one shade of blue.

Of course there being no 3rd party character artwork from that site, it ruins the theme I had going on with my roster. :p

Jakor

Smash Ace
Hi Im new here I cant seem to download it and I dont have it either can you help? I can get to the part when I download it but it wont download it just stops at 0%.
Well, if the download isn't working, it's probably a problem on your end, so idk the solution. Maybe try downloading it with a different browser?

On another note, I'd like to thank everyone because the number of downloads for the version 3 has now surpassed 1000!

Stingray0097

Smash Rookie
Hi, Jakor, your Roster maker is awesome, but I have a little question. I tried to make a new icon with the template you put on the forums. I made the icon and put in the images folder with a correct name. It appears in images but not in Super Smash Bros. Roster Maker. Plus, the dimensions of the icon are 50x57 instead of 48x55 even though I used the template.

Jakor

Smash Ace
Hi, Jakor, your Roster maker is awesome, but I have a little question. I tried to make a new icon with the template you put on the forums. I made the icon and put in the images folder with a correct name. It appears in images but not in Super Smash Bros. Roster Maker. Plus, the dimensions of the icon are 50x57 instead of 48x55 even though I used the template.
In the roster maker, you have to click on "Add new character icons" from the "File" menu at the top left of the progra. And If it still doesn't work, try to resize the image(s) to 48x55 and make sure you save them as a PNG file with the prefix "Icon" in their name.

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman

Just thought I'd submit these on this thread also! :)

They're all on this thread right here! But basically, to sum it up, I wanted to make icons that matched the "Veteran Blue" icons, but for newcomers. So these were the result! :)

I also stuck with "3D Models" for the most part so it was consistent with the vets as well haha Shulk did not have one I could find though :[

But hope this comes useful!

Jakor

Smash Ace

Just thought I'd submit these on this thread also! :)

They're all on this thread right here! But basically, to sum it up, I wanted to make icons that matched the "Veteran Blue" icons, but for newcomers. So these were the result! :)

I also stuck with "3D Models" for the most part so it was consistent with the vets as well haha Shulk did not have one I could find though :[

But hope this comes useful!
Thanks! I'll probably include those in future version of the Roster Maker. I also responded in your thread.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Go to the end of the post for information about the version 3.0.

So... I've been working on something really neat lately.

I had this idea while I was assembling a picture of my roster with Paint. It was really tedious and taking too long to just make one. And of course, it was even more tedious to edit a picture after having saved it, by needing to place all of the separate icons side by side without leaving any space between them, and re-sizing the roster's picture everytime. So here we are now.

I have some experience in software programming, as I am a student in computer science. So I've used my skills to create a program in which anyone can make his/her own custom roster quite rapidly and intuitively. The days of editing your roster in Paint, Gimp, or by linking all of your images side by side on the web could be over. With the SSB Roster Maker, you can also save your rosters as images on your computer, with the same quality as Paint or other image editors (I did side by side comparison, and there was absolutely no difference in the image quality, size and dimension).

I also want to mention that I did not make any of the character icons. All of the images have been made by Oasis_S. So if a character you want isn't in the program's list, ask him to make an icon for it! (Although I will have to update the program before you can use new icons in the SSB Roster Maker, I might think of an alternative solution).

All you have to do is:
  1. Download the program's archive on the link below.
  2. Extract the archive in a directory of your choice.
  3. Start the program by double clicking on the file named "SSB Roster Maker.exe".
Here is a link to download the Super Smash Bros. Roster Maker (version 3.0).

It's that simple! Although you may want to know that the program is made in Java, so there could potentially be some problems depending on the version you currently have. Here is a link to the Java download page in case you need it.

Here is a screen capture of the program's interface (in version 3.0):

And the image produced by saving the file with colored borders (by clicking on the "Save Image" button in the bottom right corner):

And without colored borders:

I then saved the roster by clicking on "Save Roster", and closed the Maker.

Later on, I decided to make a few changes to my roster, so I simply opened the Maker again, and then by clicking on "Load Custom Roster", my previously saved roster was uploaded on the screen.

After making the changes (changing Marth's and Ike's icons), I clicked on "Save Image" once again and the file produced was this one:

You can even use any of your own images in the Maker to make an image with the characters you want!

All instructions are now included in a file called "Instructions" included in the archive, located in the "utils" folder.

List of new features for the version 3.0:
  • Added the possibility to save more than one custom roster in the database. Each saved roster is given a unique name which can't be duplicated. Because of this new function, the "Save roster" and "Load Custom roster" buttons have been removed and replaced by one new button, called "Custom rosters". By clicking on it, a new dialog window will appear, where you can manage all of your custom rosters, in which they can be saved, loaded, deleted and renamed. You cannot use some reserved names in the program, such as "Brawl", "Melee" or "64". You can save as many rosters as you like.
  • Added undo and redo functions to the program. With those, you will now be able to revert back to the previous or next position of a character on the roster grid. The undo and redo functions will reset each time you clear or load a roster.
  • Added a new column of images at the right of the roster grid in the program. This is used to show suggested characters, which are surrounded by a yellow border. Like the list, you can drag any of these characters onto the roster grid. The suggested characters are chosen randomly from those who have at least a certain number of popularity. You can change the suggestions anytime by pressing the "Change" button below them.
  • Added a text field at the bottom left of the program, next to the list. In it, you can search the list by typing the name or a part of the name of a character. Each character that contains the word you typed will then be shown in the list. The search is automatic and it will search from characters within the currently selected category. To set the list back to normal, simply delete all the letters inside the field.
  • Added a progress bar at the right of the program which evaluates your roster on a scale of 0 to 100. The emoticon at the top of the bar will change depending on that number. There are 9 differents emoticons in total. The higher the number on the bar is, the better your roster is considered. The progress bar and the emoticon are updated automatically everytime you change something in the roster. Don't take this number too seriously though, as the formula to calculate it is pretty basic. For reference, a roster is considered good at 75%.
  • Added two counters at the bottom of the window which show the number of unlockable and total characters on the current roster. Those numbers will be updated automatically whenever you change something in the roster. The random icon doesn't count as a character, nor do the empty black icons.
  • Added a label at the bottom of the window which displays the name of the current roster. If the name becomes red, it means that the changes made have not yet been saved. If it appears black, it means it is identical to one roster already saved in the database.
  • Added a menu bar at the top of the program to access some of the program's functions more rapidly. Each function is represented by an icon, and some of them have keyboard shortcuts. A "Help" sub-menu and an "About" sub-menu have also been added to the bar in the menu "?".
  • Added the possibility to erase one specific roster. You can now use the "Delete" button within the dialog that appears when clicking on the "Custom rosters" button.
  • Added the possibility to rename a custom roster.
  • Added the possibility to add a character in the roster grid by double clicking on it from either the list of characters at the left or from the suggestions at the right. Each character will be added at the first empty spot it can find in the roster, and if there is none available, the character won't be added.
  • Added the possibility to remove a character by dragging it back into the list from the roster grid.
  • Added approximately 120 character images.
  • See the "Changelog" file in the "utils" folder for the complete list of changes and to see the list of all new character images included in the new version.

The popularity of the characters was partially based according to Shortiecanbrawl's 2012 SSB4 character poll.

Note: If you want to post your roster images on forums, blogs and other places on the web, you need to upload them using media hosting websites such as
http://imageshack.us/ or http://photobucket.com/.

Note 2: For Mac users, see the "Readme" file included in the archive for how to use the Roster Maker.

Have suggestions for features or options you would like to see in the Maker, report bugs or simply leave feedback? Or maybe you have some icons of your own? Just mention them in a post in this thread, or contact me by another mean, and I'll consider implementing them!
You can even use any of your own images in the Maker to make an image with the characters you want How? I looked everywhere it doesent tell me anything and I dont really know what you mean by that.:( (P.S. I checked mine its 100%!)

Jakor

Smash Ace
Thanks works but the image turns our weird and theres some random words am I doing something wrong?:sonicbrawl: (P.S. Sonics my favorite character in brawl and Snake is my brothers favorite) :snake:
You have to copy and paste the normal forum link, not the thumbnail one or something else.

You can even use any of your own images in the Maker to make an image with the characters you want How? I looked everywhere it doesent tell me anything and I dont really know what you mean by that.:( (P.S. I checked mine its 100%!)
Look out for the instructions about the buttons in the "Instructions.txt" file, which is located in the "utils" folder. In short, you put your images in the necessary folder, and in the Roster Maker, click on "Add new character icons".

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
ok thanks I put in my klonoa and Bass from megaman but i cant seem to put my Steve from Minecraft in. It keeps showing up as a JPG it wont show up in the Roster Maker even though I put it in the images folder and renamed it IconSteve.:( Can someone help?

Jakor

Smash Ace
ok thanks I put in my klonoa and Bass from megaman but i cant seem to put my Steve from Minecraft in. It keeps showing up as a JPG it wont show up in the Roster Maker even though I put it in the images folder and renamed it IconSteve.:( Can someone help?
It would be more preferable to save your images as PNG images before putting them in the folder. And each time you add new icons, you must select the "Add new character icons" from the menu in the Roster Maker.

Jakor

Smash Ace
So, are there any people making new icons? I don't know when I'll be uploading the version 4.0, and I'm not hurrying either because there would only be a few new icons to add along the new changes/features.

I've stated that I'm now open to receive character icons from anyone, and I'll be more than glad to include them in the Roster Maker.

And remember, if you have any questions for me, or certain features that you would like to see added or changed in the Maker, just tell me!

EDIT: For those who wanna know, I've already done quite a lot of work on version 4.0, but like I said, I won't be in a hurry to finish it until I feel there are enough new icons to add.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I've been making a few icons for this program too.

You can use them as you wish, but giving me credit would be nice. :)

Butter Turtle

Smash Rookie
Help Me!!!!I cannot open SSB Roster Maker.When i click on it,nothing happens!I use windows,by the way.Help needed!

Jakor

Smash Ace
Help Me!!!!I cannot open SSB Roster Maker.When i click on it,nothing happens!I use windows,by the way.Help needed!
Make sure you have Java installed on your computer. Here is a link to download it: http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Also, after you've downloaded the SSB Roster Maker.zip, extract it somewhere on your computer and then double click on the SSB Roster Maker.exe file. If you still have problems, you could maybe post screenshots or describe more in details what doesn't work exactly.

Butter Turtle

Smash Rookie
Make sure you have Java installed on your computer. Here is a link to download it: http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Also, after you've downloaded the SSB Roster Maker.zip, extract it somewhere on your computer and then double click on the SSB Roster Maker.exe file. If you still have problems, you could maybe post screenshots or describe more in details what doesn't work exactly.
I have the newest Java and it is extracted.When i click on the Roster Maker,the loading icon appears,but it eventually goes away and nothing happens!:(

Jakor

Smash Ace
I have the newest Java and it is extracted.When i click on the Roster Maker,the loading icon appears,but it eventually goes away and nothing happens!:(
What version of Windows are you using? Also, try opening a command prompt (cmd) and type in the following:
java -version

And tell me what is the outcome.

Butter Turtle

Smash Rookie
What version of Windows are you using? Also, try opening a command prompt (cmd) and type in the following:
java -version

And tell me what is the outcome.
I have Java Version 1.7.0_02 i guess...
And i have windows 7 64 bit

Jakor

Smash Ace
It didnt work...i usually dont
have any problems with my computer.It used to work,but my game started disfunctioning and i went into previous versions to fix it.Ever since it hasnt worked.And i cant go forward,and re-downloading does nothing.:mad:
Hmm. You could try what Frostwraith just said above you. Otherwise, the problem might come from the database of the roster maker or something. I suggest you download the Roster Maker v.3.0 again and see if it works.

Butter Turtle

Smash Rookie
Hmm. You could try what Frostwraith just said above you. Otherwise, the problem might come from the database of the roster maker or something. I suggest you download the Roster Maker v.3.0 again and see if it works.
Im so annoyed!It used to work,but it dont no more!Ugh!Im on the verge of giving up!:mad: Why cant it work?Lol!I dont know the problem...its just not loading up...i dont know anymore...

Top Bottom