• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Triforce of Toon: A Community Toon Link Guide

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Nice work Toons. I feel much more confident writing this up now.
Done. I've been looking forward to this one. The U-tilt.
What do you think? Has the metagame affected the U-tilt, or is it even better then before? How, why and when do you think it should be used? Maybe you see it differently now to what you used to, maybe not.
C'mon, this one's easy. I know I love it.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
It's great for when you predict rolls.

MJG

Smash Hero
Jab can pop up some of the smaller/lighter characters and combo into Up-Tilt. I kill with Up-Tilt more so than Up-Smash (only kills 6% later than Up-Smash). So...I guess I second what hyro said.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Nice job guys. I already knew a fair bit about U-tilt so that one was a breeze.

Moving on.

We are now up to our last tilt, the D-tilt.
Now, if you had of asked me what I thought of D-tilt like 10 minutes ago, I would have said, yeah, other then that thing where you get them up against the wall and spam D-tilt, it's pretty useless. But looking purely at the frame data, it's actually not that bad. Safer then Jab? Gtfo. Have we over looked D-tilt? Or does your experience tell you other wise. Atm, I'm interested in someone changing my mind on D-tilt. Maybe it isn't that bad after all.

Also, because I don't have access to my wii still, could someone tell me at what percent the opponent can get out of the D-tilt lock against the wall. Cheers.

The usual, how, why and when do you use D-tilt.

The only thing I use Dtilt for is to space, since when you hit, it sends them back far enough for you to, well..., do something else. Like camp.

Jab -> Dtilt works pretty well, but it can be shielded.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Ok, so far I've heard the usual. Which is ok. But I can't help but think that we aren't using D-tilt to it's full potential. As I said before, looking purely at the frame data and comparing D-tilt to our other moves, it looks quite good. It's not as amazing as MK's or Marth's D-tilt which they can just throw out there, but it still looks good on paper. So I'm asking, have we overlooked D-tilt or does your experience tell you otherwise?

(Thanks ~mjg~)

Hyro

Smash Lord
No we haven't overlooked it, we've always said how good of a move it was...but that doesn't change the fact that it's a rarely used move. Probably since Toon Link is about running away, not cqc.

Anyways, I only use it for the tripping properties at low percents. Mostly just dtilt into nairs. Sometimes I'll zair/jab cancel into a dtilt. I use it at the edge of the stage occasionally.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I use it sometimes after I KO.

I dtilt, use the IASA frames to turn around and do it again, then repeat.

New Tink metagames?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Ok, thanks for answering that Hyro. I think I'm gonna use it a bit more often just to see if it helps.
I should be able to write it up now.

aaaand we're done.

Moving right along. We are now up to the F-smash.
Our strongest killing move that is never guaranteed. What I love about this move is that if they shield the first hit, it's an instant mind game XD. The ultimate scizzors paper rock.
We use the second hit straight away > them instantly trying to punish > us waiting.
We wait for a little bit then hit > them shielding, seeing us do nothing, thinking we're going to wait and trying to punish > us instantly attacking.
We wait till right at the end and then use the second hit of F-smash > them shielding the whole time then thinking it's over and trying to capitilise too early > the first two options.
We do nothing the whole time then run away laughing our arse off or instantly grab > them sitting in their shield worried about all the other options > all the other options.

If you play smart you can condition your opponent into thinking you'll use one option and then when you need it, you switch it up and profit. It's so stupid that it works.

Hyro

Smash Lord
i nevvvvvvvvvver use the second hit (maybe on accident)

fsmash, turn around charge usmash when they're in roll panic mode
fsmash grab
fsmash jump and fair/uair over their head
fsmash walk away and throw a boomerang is lol

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
@Hyro: I'd agree, of all the options I stated, not doing anything is the best one. The others are just there to keep them scared or if they start catching on that they can predict that you'll do nothing.

MJG

Smash Hero
Other than what Hyro has stated, I will RARELY use the second hit in this situation: F smash (Then I will stop) and I will proceed to f smash again and execute the 2nd hit as well.

I have charged an f smash on the ledge before and A LOT of people don't expect f smash to hit you while they are hanging on the ledge.

F-smash usually works with heavies. If you're trying to land it on floaty characters, it usually will not work.

It isn't guaranteed with big characters either, since I'm pretty sure they could just shield and punish the 2nd hit. I'm just saying it's easier. Since Tinks don't really use Fsmash, people don't expect it, which is probably the best part of the attack.

Hyro

Smash Lord
Other than what Hyro has stated, I will RARELY use the second hit in this situation: F smash (Then I will stop) and I will proceed to f smash again and execute the 2nd hit as well.

I have charged an f smash on the ledge before and A LOT of people don't expect f smash to hit you while they are hanging on the ledge.
speaking of this when someone is shielding on the edge, you do both hits very fast, first hit pushes them off, second hit hits

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I actually tested that a while ago. I thought that it would be unescapable.
Unfortunatelly, it is character specific because fast fallers will avoid it unless the double jump into it for some reason. Even on the lighter to mid weight chars, it's not unavoidable. They can airdodge straight away and avoid the second hit.

That said, the chances are, it will hit them cause they won't know what to do and even then, F-smash near the edge is safe for us cause it pushes them off. So yes, F-smash them when they are near the edge.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Bump.
And we're done with F-smash. (at least I am)

Moving on to U-smash now. It was once considered our best killing move. What do you think about it now?
How, why and when do you use U-smash. Everything you know and some things you didn't know you knew.

MJG

Smash Hero
I use up smash after I pop my opponent in the air with a boomerang (For some reason they like to air dodge into the ground). I use just a regular Up Smash or a charged one...all depending on how close I am to my opponent.

(Example) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCcomeBuEdM#t=4m33s

If you happen to be able to use Up Smash after Zair, its only because you gave up your spacing with zair, your opponent ran into your Zair and you were able to connect with Up Smash or you used zair and followed up with a charged Up smash as they air dodged.

Another Scenario: Just jumping up (while my opponent is in the air), falling back down (hoping that they air dodged) and then proceed to use Up Smash

Vietgeek combo (is that what were still calling it?) Bomb>Zair>Up Smash

If I have a bomb in hand and my opponent is coming back down to the stage, I will jump up and I will throw the bomb up as I am doing this, fall to the ground, and Up Smash...even if I don't Up Smash them, the bomb should hit in most cases...Unless the opponent instant throws it down (which is more likely not to happen in this case)

(Example) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9sOUdPU6DM#t=4m17s

Charging an Up Smash on the boomerang's return. Im not sure how often this will work >_>

(Example) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWMmyro9sYA#t=5m18s

Keep in mind that these are just all situational

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I still get a few kills from Usmash, but I don't think it's our best kill moves. Off topic, but I think our best are:
Uair, Utilt, Usmash, Fair, Nair, Bair.

I'll add to Usmash later. For now, amazing post by MJG.

Hyro

Smash Lord
Nair and bair aren't kill moves...just because they kill at 180 lol. That's like saying ftilt is a kill move.

But yeah...boomerang return to usmash is not super situational. It happens all the time. Mainly because we can press forward b whenever we want lol. It's just stupid to usmash if they're not gonna die since we can bair, nair, w/e. You can go for the boomerang to usmash as much as you want, it's safe. They'll start to react differently and when you see a boomerang returning you can read their jump with an uair or read a roll.

Oh I think I only use charged usmashes...pushes them away. Doesn't seem safe otherwise.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Nope. That wasn't a typo.

My ultimate combo that never works (it's worked a few times and I only do it cause it's so freaking sick); Full hop towards them Instantly tilt throw the boomerang diagonally down (has to be tilted not smashed) past them over their heads, Zair them before you touch the ground, move a bit forwards and U-smash. The boomerang does this wierd thing where it stays in the same spot for a really long time, the Zair pushes them into the Boomerang that pushed them back into the U-smash that pushes them to death that pushes them over the edge and they quit brawl. It's a legit true combo! Yeahyez. The only hard part is getting the boomerang behind them like this and hoping they don't shield the Zair. If all this happens, then you're set. Only I may post like this XD. Now back to the serious discussion.

I find that the only way to get the U-smash to connect is to catch them off guard. If you wiff an U-smash then you can pretty much forget about killing them with it that stock cause they'll be looking for it.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Nair and bair aren't kill moves...just because they kill at 180 lol. That's like saying ftilt is a kill move.
I play a Wario all that time. He can consistently live past 200%. I'll be uploading vids for critique, but honestly I just can't kill this ****er, so those two end up killing.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Aaaaaaaaaand we're done.

It's D-smash time!

Don't be fooled by my apparent enthusiasm. I.... don't really use it. I know all about the bcd and how broke the first hit is, but how else should this lag infested move be used?

Please, please enlighten me. There has to be more to it.

This seems like a move that you could write up yourself.

Anyways, the only time you should use it is when you're 100% sure it'll hit. For example, Marth does an onstage UpB and is falling in helpless state. Dsmash. Ganondorf did his Warlock Punch backwards. Dsmash. You shouldn't be using it often, which is good because that means that it'll always be fresh.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Dsmash is bad. BAD as in horrible. Still got its uses. Comes out frame 9 which is TL's fastest smash. Still it doesnt kill well, HORRIBLY laggy when whiffed and its just overall not worth it. Stay with upair, utilt and fair for killing :p.

It's a good kill move. The only thing wrong with it is that it's hard to get a kill with it without getting punished.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Massive update!!!!!!

Thanks to TWiNK and Sasuke, most of the hitbubble pictures are up and I've finished writting up D-smash.
That means we have a new move to discuss.

I know I love it, we are up to the one and only, Nair.

Do I need to say this everytime? Discuss everything you know about it. How, why and when you use it.

MJG

Smash Hero
-FULL HOPPING NAIR IS REALLY GOOD.
-Trying to hit with both hits of nair is ideal for most characters (especially big ones).
-Nair is usually a follow up from the use of "Zair" or a "bomb" that was used/thrown at the opponent.

I can't really think of anything else atm...

Hyro

Smash Lord
Don't forget about using dsmash when they're under 20% for easy kills/comebacks.

FH nair to zair
FH nair to angled boomerang
SH nair to dj nair
SH nair arrow

Nair trips at lower percents, crazy combos from it

SH zair to nair (trip), to footstool dair, dair bounce -> zair -> grab all day

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
^^^
That is a huge part in my combo vid I'm making ^^

But yeah, Nair too good.

Nair is the only reason we can beat olimar.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Just incase I didn't make it clear, we are done with D-smash and are now talking about Nair. Much much later on, and I'm talking about when this whole thing is done, we may go back and add things that you think are missing, but I'm pretty sure I got the majority of it.

So this is news to me. Full hop Nair? Does it hit them when they're on the ground or is it more of a hit them when they SH kinda thing. I would imagine some characters would get hit, but how about the smaller ones? Also the same thing applies to the SH Nair double jump Nair. Does it hit?

Something I like to do that I don't see happen is SH Bair to double hit Nair. If you do it quickly enough, both hits of Nair come out that can come in handy in many situations. It is situational of course, but when it works it's sexy as.

Hyro

Smash Lord
...you don't see every good toon link full hop nairing? It's like 08 stuff...the majority of my nairs are full hopped lol. It hits just like sh nair...really fiod? :confused:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I don't watch many vids. I've seen it done before, just didn't think too much of it cause as far as I could see, it didn't hit people on the ground. But maybe that's cause it was done wrong. Well this changes things XD. I feel silly now. Do you have any vids where you used it a lot? I'd just like to see it in action used properly seeing as I can't show myself atm.

Top Bottom