• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The UK Thread: Latest News/Players/Tournaments [London monthly!] [Leicester monthly!]

Kone

Smash Master
Robby - I dont think ive been inactive for a year. I was very much active on the forums in some way or another till June. Melee wise i was all ready to attend the liverpool tourney but couldnt for a last minute personal issue (was v.major). Other than that there are only two areas that have ranbats. If there was a ranbat happening in the NE id have been attending even if I was less than active on the forums. However there isnt and ive put alot of time into finding local players over the last four years :/

Other than that i also dont agree to being in the top 16 atm :)

VA

Smash Hero
I think 16 is a waste of time. I may have argued it a while ago but that was desperation speaking, but the Rankings are not here to make seedings squabbles dissolve. It's entirely separate. Big mans was never used in that way and these rankings won't be other, there is no #1 seed, we generally know who the top 16 are and attendance is always random in the UK community so when we are missing one person from the top 16 we'll have to know who is the 17th person in order to find the next seed. It's really not worth doing and NOT the point of Rankings at all.

grayfox

Smash Champion
Then what about my other point about how the bottom of the top ten is not far and away from the rest that would be in the top 16? It would be like taking middle tier and putting Roy and Pikachu or whoever the **** else is at the top of middle tier and giving them their own tier towards the high tiers, when infact they aren't that far away from dk etc or w/e (I don't know the current tier list this is the only example i can think of for the banter!!!!). Basically sayin' seperating 2 or 3 people from the middle upper tiers of the uk to occupy the bottom part of a top 10 skews the skill level of that group of players.

Also, I don't see why "innactive" members of the community should be removed. Given the uks record of tourneys, what 1 or 2 a year if you're lucky? Really most people are innactive relitively. Your point Robby against seeding people before a tourney because we generally know their skill level goes the same for putting people into rankings. I was under the impression that was the entire point of having a panel is that there aren't enough results to go on a purely result based ranking. Removing a large part of the community because they have been deemed innactive completely voids that purpose.

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
I realize I'm the pathetic offspring of your colonies, but here's what I think you fine fellows should do:

1) Make sure everyone agrees on the panelists
2) Agree to update periodically -- decide the frequency.
3) Have a tournament to start off the first ranking fresh.
4) Make a separate thread.
5) Use tournament results to continue from there on. Don't forget to scrutinize bracket etc.
6) Watch as your community competition grows and all of you get better! =D

VA

Smash Hero
yay manli I <3 you

and everyone on the top 10 has been to last tournament excluding euan who I pointed out that I was hypocritical about. Rankings are there to promote competition not give a random top 10 of rougly equal skill, there are skill gaps that are distinct between top 5 and bottom 5. Your first point is exactly what Rankings are about, if you're name isn't on the top 10 then get it there, it's here to promote competition.

also I think manlis suggestions are all good, I'm inexperienced as anyone else in doing this so pointers awesome :)

grayfox

Smash Champion
Aye you got a point about the top 10 banter in that case, that is true, although I still beleive it is too close between 9 and 10 and 11-16 to actually put 2 people in that spot.

It doesn't really promote competition if half the people that should be on there aren't on it for the banter. It seems like Jam etc are removed as he wasn't at the last tourney even though everyone knows he is probably around the top 5 purely for the banter! I would only class someone as inactive in our community if they showed no desire to attend another event or play anyone again, otherwise the chances are they have missed 1 of the biyearly tourneys lol

VA

Smash Hero
well he's not coming to this one and I see no desire in him to come to any upcoming events. it wasn't that he just didn't attend, I played him really recently and it feels to me that he's not interested in competing anymore. yes it's close between 9 - 16 but it's disputable and that's what makes it fun. if you don't show interest I can't guess that you will attend and therefore put you on rankings :/

J03

Smash Master
your the only one who against it, wvwn the other panel members want it.

you are not he panel, other then that lets but it to a vote then eh??

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Unless there are huge gaps in skill between the 16 of the top players, that becomes really really hard.

We used to have top 15 in BC, but we changed it to top 10 because top 15 was rough... maybe go halfway and say top 12?

Trust me. Competition increases. What you guys lack is regular tournaments -- someone should step it up and start hosting. I think my suggestions were quite fair. Y'all should consider giving them a chance before you disregard my ideas as obsolete or stupid.

edit:// to add to my credibility, I'm displaying my sig.

Kone

Smash Master
fire - The problem is we have a complete lack of hosters. Thats the main reason why we dont have regular tourneys. Theres been like 4 people to host ever and half were done by me. One of the others,ant, who rocked out for the last yr cant host anymore. On top of that its alot more expensive renting places here and finding places to use. Theres isnt really the chance in staying at a venue over night. Thus it comes down to people putting others up in their homes. Something that our community seems unable to do :/

VA

Smash Hero
UK have issues with tournaments because of distance between our smashers manli. Say I have to travel 3 hours to get to a tournament venue and because of that I need somewhere to stay that night and maybe the night before the tournament. Housing is the issue that hampers tournaments otherwise we could be hosting all the time.

12 is a way more feasible, I really think 16 is pushing it and mostly people are arguing we need it for seeding but I think that argument is poorly considered.

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Do all of you live at your folks' house? Is there a central location where you guys can smash? Finding venues is hard work-- not worth it if you won't have 30+ people at a tournament. The majorities of tournaments should be held where the smasher population density is highest. Is no one willing to offer their home up once or twice a month?

Kone

Smash Master
fire -thats london and their all young and either live at home or are in first yr uni and still in halls where they cant house ****loads of people.

Its also hard guaranteeing more than 30, can be less.

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
How many people do you guys expect? How on earth can you guys possibly accumulate more than 20 players, and still say that you all live too far away from each other? UK isn't that large, is it? I'm saying that you should try to host in houses for a while. Or get together in a big tournament for crew battles. Are all of you that spread out?

Find a smasher in London who can host, then. Or maybe someone in London can ask their friend to host? We play smash at a university lounge here in BC, we've had up to like 30 players lol. Kinda crowded at times though.

Kone

Smash Master
Fire- Ive been round since the start of UK smash, 4+ years. As ive stated ive hosted alot. What youve said are all reasonble things to expect and notions myself and may others have attempted. However, though they seems simple they just dont happen. We literally have no one in London willing to house. We have no one on the UK that can regularly use their house (except mine and what was ants). Really man its that bad when it comes down to potential hosting.

The 20-30 players are well spread out man. Scotland all the way to the southern coast of england.

VA

Smash Hero
*Walks in*

Lets vote for top 16 as I feel it will involve more of the community

*Walks out*
Somehow that's probably the only point I CAN'T argue against. It does involve more of the community...but I think it's messy. We'll probably trial 16 after saturday.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
very far, like 7/8 hours coach. I don't think you read properly. Kone can host fine with no problems but people from London or other areas like Birmingham have major problems with housing due to majority of the community being young and unable to house people. For this tourney on saturday it is being hosted at a lan gaming centre in Birmingham and we have made a deal with the owner to stay till 5am for £10 which is great cause we can get the early morning coach

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
THERE IS ONLY ONE SOLUTION FOR THIS.

Make friends with each other, find a co-op in London, and have 3 - 20 of you rent it out. It's the only way.

..btw weren't you guys complete jerks to me when I was last here? That wasn't very kind...

DevMBC

Smash Ace
man i like opening a topic and seeing my name everywhere :D thanks for bringing me up everybody!!

i don't really mind about rankings, i can't make birmingham no way no how :s i will attend another tourny when i can and do my best!!!

also for the banter i find it highly suspect that THREE of the top FIVE are panelists hahaha . what's z doing in 2nd i told yall a long time ago he would never surpass me didn't you listen?? (JK Z U BEAST O_O)

yall must be crazy leaving me off a top 10 hahah although i am excited to see will and joe play now!! you guys really have it in you!! are you playing looaadss? who are your characters now!?

fireemblemxxx if you don't like it go to russia :p

also how much do all of you play the game these days!? i'm also interested to hear from everybody what they think are the real important aspects of placing well consistently in smash today!?

also someone teach me marth please!

alssooo did anybody get SFHD today!? i can't believe how good it is, i'm still learning but wana get real good add me xbox : DevMBC

GAWES RECOMENDATION :
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3041/3062118310_1c259875e6_o.jpg

edit! ^^^^

AmcD

Smash Ace
If the venue in Birmingham can be used frequently maybe we should use that. It is a central location for everyone.

VA

Smash Hero
housing?

and jam you don't really talk to me as if you want to come to tournaments. panelists being in the top 5-6 is usual because surprisingly they know a lot about the game! it's helpful you know! I would only say it's not really fair to put you on rankings right now, I think we're going to start afresh from the next tournament anyway...last time you went to a tournament you got 7th, which was below eaun, personally I think you'd beat euan but I'm the only person that can vouch for that as we go on recent tournament results.

I know you're still sick, so do you and so does craiigg. Just hall *** to a tournie once in a while and I'm sure you'll cause a stir.

COEY

Smash Lord
man i like opening a topic and seeing my name everywhere :D thanks for bringing me up everybody!!

yall must be crazy leaving me off a top 10 hahah although i am excited to see will and joe play now!! you guys really have it in you!! are you playing looaadss? who are your characters now!?
NO worries dude, the only british player to take a tournament set off the_doug deserves some recognition tbh. I think alot of people aren't considering what it means to even be semi active after like 4-5 years of playing. Plus robby says your still sick :)

me and joe are playing quite alot at the moment, joes still playing his foxy but his falco is really decent now. I'm maining luigi :p

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
also for the banter i find it highly suspect that THREE of the top FIVE are panelists hahaha . what's z doing in 2nd i told yall a long time ago he would never surpass me didn't you listen?? (JK Z U BEAST O_O)
wow.... wtf man?

Rofl remember when after Edmas you had some banter and I was like WTF JAM F*CK OFF those were some good days they had loads of banter.

Kone

Smash Master
i literally have no idea if Z was joking or having a go at jam :/ . Robby and others jam was joking bout penal thing lol.

Top Bottom