• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The UK Thread: Latest News/Players/Tournaments [London monthly!] [Leicester monthly!]

VA

Smash Hero
panel system is being trialled and if it goes badly which i don't see happening we may go with big man system although I always hated that one because no one got it going and you got compeltely ***** by missing a tournament. it basically died after my 2nd tournament.

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
Pretty sure Jam was at ALT? Anyway, I liked the Bigman system and most of the decisions will be results-based anyway I hope, just for the banter :)

Kone

Smash Master
Robby - The big man system doesnt **** u for missing one tournament, your points depreciated more over time based upon HOW MANY YOU MISSED and became incrased if you missed MORE FREQUENTLY. As such missing one really didnt hinder you to much aslong as you made the next etc. It was good in encouraging people not to miss tourneys imo and was benefitial in removing players that were inactive for to long. Just because you'd made a name for yourself in the past doesn't mean you should still be classed as being good if your not competiting :)

Im going to update the big man rankings tonight so that we can see what a quantitive system does to the rankings. Could someone post the last three tourney results for me?

ed

J03

Smash Master
there hasnt been a tourney in too long, the bigman system will not be up to date and i can guarantee that it wont represent numberous players skill.

I.e. P.pro basically only gets points for 1 tourney but he is top 3 for deff.

ive nothing against the bigman system, i think its the most reliable, but it requires a stable amount of tournaments which weve not had for 6 months. Imo starting a new big man system would be good

VA

Smash Hero
Please don't do that, it took a few hours for us to make that ranking last night and it really feels like you are undermining it by bringing back Big Man system. I do agree with you on the last point though but panel can cover that. It's not necessary ed we have a ranking that's based more on current smash than tournament results. Opinion is very helpful in creating rankings and with a few hours of discussion we managed it so I'm asking nice, don't bring Big Man back please.

We don't have regular enough tournaments, seriously you tried it once and it failed so give something else a chance?

Kone

Smash Master
Then he has to prove that at a tournament. Though there hasnt been one in a while the big man system will still be useful in setting up correct standards for up and coming tourneys. Use the panel for now but the big system if implemented and updated over the next two tourneys will more accurately display the UKs rankings.

Your right about the likes of p.pro currently not being ranked aswell. However, you guys have made a list based upon your judegments of how people have improved and smashfests. The only real way to determine hwo good a player is is through a large tourney against ppl they wouldnt normally play i.e as that skews it. Futhermore, skill normally improves through frequent tourneys. Not to be a **** joe (dont take this personally) but how are you palced in the top ten? without ever proving that? because 3 or so ppl have seen you get better? Im confident that I oculd play you today and the set would be very close and go either way.

Basically my point about you joe is its all opinion. I jsut think its sad that we have to base our rankings on 'what ifs'.

Robby- imo it didnt fail. Melee slumped due to our lack of hosters and due to brawl. I know i didnt help ;) but my input before that more than makes up for it lol. The big man system will always be more accurate if there are frequent tourneys. No other sport does it by a panel.

edit - didnt read joes post properly. new big man system wouldnt be bad or decrease the last standings of the big man system enough to reflect that there hasnt been a competitive tourney in quite some time?
ed

COEY

Smash Lord
Could the list be increased to 16. I know you guys think 10 is right for competitiveness. But believe me theres alot of people who'd like nothing better than to just be seeded. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to add 6 players to the list. Also to help you add Jam and Edwin, for the simple reason that a ranking board should display the top competitiors in the country in order. So that if they ever do attend which Jam does do from time to time, and Edwin has travelled before it can happen again. This is needed because we shouldn't have them unseeded ever at a tourney. The best 16 players at a tourney should get to the bracket (obv if its a 16 man bracket) this should have nothing to do with your past attendance, it should just be about how good you are. If you want accurate results at future events you need to consider everyone.

Kone

Smash Master
^ i didnt take the big man rankings into considertion for current tourney seedings, hmmm. The panel would do that

VA

Smash Hero
You're talking absolute crap ed, there was a tournament every two months for a period. We had AR2, SmashGT, then CHJ in a period of 6 months. This was the time when bigman failed, where tournaments were flourishing. If it failed then it was due to lack of upkeep/interest and nothing else.

2 of the 4 panelists have played joe recently and it is easier to place him among the rankings than someone like yourself who we haven't seen play in 10 months, Joe is an active member of the community who through vids and matches has shown a lot of improvement which is why he sits at 9th. As for trying to tell us how we compiled the rankings, why not ask before assuming? We considered a range of things that you can't just assume you know about without being part of.

Rankings are not 'what ifs' we need to have opinion in it otherwise it get grossly misrepresented by lack of tournament attendence. If say we did want to have big man rankings, where would edwin place by tournament results? I'd likely place higher by virtue of attending more tournaments than him, he only having got 3rd at one would not place higher, but that means I'm better if he places higher than me when he attends? Also Davemans jumping to like 7th place in the UK was ridiculous, I'm really not a fan of Big Man and you would never have brought it back if I hadn't set up these rankings. I think you deciding this timely revival of Big Mans is kind of disgusting, you were never about to do it until I did something you disapprove it, why not let it be instead of interfering where no one wants it.

Also to Coey, we cannot place people like edwin and Jam fairly due to lack of tournament attendance, they can't be fairly judged and placed in the top 10 by a panel because there is no recent unified evidence to rank them.

Kone

Smash Master
Uhm i dont have time as i need to get back to work to respond to that entire post but your very hypocritical. Re-read what you say at start and at the end. Furthermore, I enjoy how after not being around for sometime you take my posts as a personal attack on you?! am i stepping on your toes? lol. I just started reading whats going on yesterday robby, dont get worked up if i want to throw my opinion out there, ive got the experience to do so imo. I apologise if you think im trying to undermine your panel, im not trying to steal your thunder, I just don't largely agree with it ^_^. Dont be so rash.

VA

Smash Hero
It very much feels as if you think your experience in the community grants you some kind of celestial power to come back whenever you feel and make brash statements which lead to announcements like "bigmans is coming back". As for being rash I think reading something, disapproving of it then reviving a long dead rankings system could be considered rash. However you put it you're only bringing back Big Mans because you don't like this idea, are you coming to Bham? Do you even care about melee anymore? No one knows these things because you've been gone for a year Ed. I'd like the new rankings to have a bit of a chance before you bring Big Mans back, we don't need two, just give it a fair chance ok?

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
we've got birmingham and Ed may be doing one so thats 2 coming up already. The irish tournament might even count if the Brittish turnout is good. After a few tournaments Ed's old system could be a good idea.

AmcD

Smash Ace
The old system has shown it didn't work so why do it again when we have this in place ffs.

Aiko

Smash Champion
point is, bigman points didnt work for whatever reason. lets give the panel a chance, see how this turns out. provided the panel can churn out a revised ranking every month, it sounds gd to me.

AmcD

Smash Ace
How can the ranking possibly change every month? For that to happen that means a tournament every month which isn't going to happen.

VA

Smash Hero
quite right alan. we won't revise the rankings pointlessly, when they need to be changed we'll change them. if at the global gaming tournament we see not just results but skill levels mirroring the current rankings we won't really need to change it. Chances are there will be differences but how much that affect rankings we'll have to wait and see. There are no fixed variables as such involved in this kind of ranking, I've seen it in practice in probably the one of the best communities in the world. In BC canada the top players get to play each other every week, they discuss the rankings based on each weeks results and when there are big shock defeats and such they change it around. Rankings can be around for a while, I suppose we'll just have to see how it works for us. And I really don't see any need to bring back Big Mans except that Ed doesn't like the current rankings of which he's not part of.

Kone

Smash Master
Robby man calm your **** lol. Firstly, I do believe my experience does grant me the ability to come back and make brash statements lol, its not celestial though and I never said "bigmans is coming back". Maybe you think im celestial and presumed just because Im in favour of the BG system then that would be that and your panel was gone lol. If so cheers man thats quite a compliment ;)

I wasn't being rash I was putting my opinion forward. I hadn't been round for your 'should there being a rankings' thread. Which If id been about I would clearly have backed you on.

Answer to your Q's:

1. No im not. I work at the weekends in a Pathology Lab. its all very prof and I can't get time of work at such short notice. Its a shame because I would've liked to have gone especially with the bonus that Kate is from B'ham and we could've visited her family and had housing. In other words im gutted.

2. I do care about melee. Ive shown that in the past. So if you want reassurance now rob rob then yeah im all go again. Brawl was bust. Ive not been about for three reasons; I got masively ripped off over the costing of the TKI venue, I realied brawl sucked and at the time wasn't ready to dive back into melee and ive been on teacher training (finishes next week but all my obs are done so im not so spazzed out anymore). Except for my dissertation ive got alot more time.

That good enough for you man ;) im going to hold a EDster in april, will post the thread as soon as GG/SVB is over. Once again myself showing my commitment.

Other than that I really don't care that im not in the rankings. Me preferring the BG system HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MYSELF. Got that? I know im out of practice, synch and wouldn't make any current rankings. However, im not over the hill, believe iam better than people on that list and will prove that at future tourneys ;)

Ill leave your panel cos i dont want you spitting your dummy out again. If we string together 3 or so tournies in a short time it would be good to see what the BG system says lol.

Other than that maybe the panel should explain what criteria they are using and how they created this current system?

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEE UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBBBBYYYYYYYYYY

BIG KISS

ED

VA

Smash Hero
I don't personally question your comittment ed you have no need to prove it to me, my point was that we don't know where you've been or whether you're still inerested in the community. I know you don't care that you aren't on the rankings as well, I just think it's not really ok to come back and undermine something using your status in the community. Also it would be kind of nice if you accepted responsibility and refrained from attempting to make me look juvenile in being pissed off about this.

I don't presume anything of your celestial powers I just know you're the king of SDB and have a rather large following...

Yeniths

East Midlands!
Ed, any chance your free on the 17th of December? I'm coming up to newcastle and will have nothing to do for the whole day so some smash would be good lol

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Some people around here get upset lol.
I just stroll around the forums and have my funny wunny.
Anyway lets see how this ranking system of the panelists whatever thingy works out. Can someone explain to me how the current ranking system works.
So far IT SEEMS to me it is basically an overall picture of everyone in the UK from smashfests, videos, tourns and everything but more importantly tourns which decides to the judgement of the placing, is this correct?

Someone made a comment earlier about the rankings being increased to 16....is there any chance of this happening cos I feel this is a good idea because there are a few players lower down then 10 who would stilll have a fighting opportunity for something and its likely to bring lower level people in because tbh new people will prob know they arent gonna having a fighting chance in the top 10.

I know you don't care that you aren't on the rankings as well, I just think it's not really ok to come back and undermine something using your status in the community. Also it would be kind of nice if you accepted responsibility and refrained from attempting to make me look juvenile in being pissed off about this.
I dont think its something you should get worked about VA, I understand you have put time and commitment to get things up and run but you were starting to get annoyed and it was pretty petty imo lol.
TBH IMO I feel Kone was only trying to put in his opinion from his exp whether or not he was right even though I agree with your point on the whole ranking thing. I dont think he would attempt to undermine you...then again...I could be wrong.
P.PRO IS BACK AND COCKY BABY AND IM JUST OUT TO HURT PEOPLES FEELINGS!

Aiko

Smash Champion
im completely in favour of top 16, VA and Zeppo, not so much. the advantages of top 16 would be to increase competitiveness of those below 16th, have a good base for seedings, and a bit more detail into the uk community.

AmcD

Smash Ace
It should be top16 this way we know the seedings for each tournament and people below the 16 then know were they stand.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Plus 16 is a more realistic position to acheive for up and coming people, like I am sure that Pops will have a good fighting chance at top 16 as he is on his way up.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
I was talking to Ant about the top16 thing and I also think it would be good. The main reason being the top 10 is fairly predictable and most of the active community thats been around a bit (non-londoners) would coe up with something similar. However, if you get past the top 10 then it becomes a lot more difficult and dynamic. Ya so top 16 pleez

Ed- Pathology you say? Do you work in biology?

VA

Smash Hero
far be it for you to say aaron when you have no involvement in anything so when you do and something like this happens we'll see how you react hmm?

Personally I do not think top 16 is a good idea, I have no idea who would be on it. It's too hard and way less defined working out those extra 6. You'll see what I mean aiko if we do it, people will be strained to actually care and 16 is a really random number to have for rankings. If anything we'll make a top 20...but seriously I have no clue who is that good beyond the top 10. Aiko obv but then the rest is a complete muddle.

top 10 is not predictable, I doubt this list would've come out the same had any one person made it.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
far be it for you to say aaron when you have no involvement in anything so when you do and something like this happens we'll see how you react hmm?

Personally I do not think top 16 is a good idea, I have no idea who would be on it. It's too hard and way less defined working out those extra 6. You'll see what I mean aiko if we do it, people will be strained to actually care and 16 is a really random number to have for rankings. If anything we'll make a top 20...but seriously I have no clue who is that good beyond the top 10. Aiko obv but then the rest is a complete muddle.

top 10 is not predictable, I doubt this list would've come out the same had any one person made it.
Well if we get together opinions we can have an idea of a few of the people below 10. I feel some of the people below 10 have a position which needs to be feeled and since we are talking about increasing the competitivness of the community it will get the lower people more involved. I think 20 is a bit too much imo.
So what if I am not involved fully in the discussion and all of the other stuff, the outcome of it involves me and the whole community so I can put my opinion wherever I want so there PRICK. Its VERY WEWY likely I will not manage it so you wont see how I react anyway (HAHAHHAHAHAH IN YOUR FACE) but I know I wont start moaning and getting close to tears and suicide when people dont agree with me like some people. I would be more understanding and try to put my opinion across in a pleasant way instead of saying my view in a angry way and putting down other people when they make there points because they aren about 10000000350698% of the time and not 853985093098% involved.
Some people need to spend a day on smashboards in my happy shoes, its fun.

tbh the people in the top 10 is pretty predictable, its just gonna be little changes of positions here and there.

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
I was not convinced at first but I actually think the top 16/20 thing is a reasonable idea because seeding has always been a huge pain in this community. But I dont think anyone should waste their breath until after this tournament. All the same I wouldnt find it hard to rank players under 10 at least in the north I have a good idea of where everyone would probably be!

VA

Smash Hero
We'll reassess after the tournament mkay? Also Aaron I didn't read your post because you're full of the same old **** as before. thought you changed but really it's still there, you see it come out once in a while with edwin and stuff. It's really unnecessary...ho hum.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
We'll reassess after the tournament mkay? Also Aaron I didn't read your post because you're full of the same old **** as before. thought you changed but really it's still there, you see it come out once in a while with edwin and stuff. It's really unnecessary...ho hum.
Your full of the same **** iswell (whatever them four stars mean) I thought you changed but I saw the old you coming out of you when you were getting annoyed when people have a different opinions from you, you can even say I am dissapointed in you. Quite a disgrace for you to be handling some of the stuff in our community, quite a disgrace.....I wouldnt like to tell someone that you are running something in my community, you need to look at yourself disgraceful boy imo tut tut tut.
I'm glad the old me is coming out, back to my old fun ways. I only take it out on people who deserve it though....its quite neccessary tbh. Have fun disgraceful boy, try to have some honour.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Good to know, wouldnt want to say a comment and hurt your feelings and you get annoyed and start punching yourself in the mirror and commit suicide suicidal boy.

LOOOOL YOUR GONNA READ THIS THOUGH AND REALIZE YOUR A PRICK AND I AM NOT AND LULZ AT YOU KNOWING IM CORRECT BEING NICE KNOWING YOU BABY LOSER LOOOLY WOOOLY LOST TO KYUUBI TWICE AND CAME WITH THE SANDBAGGING JOHNNY WONNY.

VA

Smash Hero
I see you've written another post, I'll just keep scrolling past it until you give up.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
blah blah blah not reading your posts
You said that earlier on and then you read by post above, thats enough to let me know I won lool. But obviously you will make another comment to make it look like you didnt read this one but i'm happy knowing I won anyway. I will let you have the last word but you have lost so tis enough for thee aaron.

Top Bottom