• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ULTIMATE Samus Guide

Quez256

Smash Journeyman
Just a quick note, is it common knowledge that a well-timed u-tilt knocks MK out of the tornado? Not clang, completely knocks him out of it.

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
Yup, utilt, tipper zair at the top of his tornado, bombs, smash missiles break it.. some other ones do too but those are my options for when I'm grounded and camping haha.

Quez256

Smash Journeyman
Yep, knew about the missiles, doesn't the neutral b also work when it's charged? Also, it's a nice alternative when he's too close to hit him with a missile. The sweetspot z-air is also new, thanks n00b ^_^

Edit: the bombs are a nice addition as well, I'll keep that in mind.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Regarding the Triple Missiles, I found another way of doing it, and I think it's easier to perform. The first way of doing the Triple Missiles went like this.

• First jump full hop to Forward+B.
  • Second Jump to Forward+B.
  • Upon landing, it will become canceled. Press Forward+B again.

My way is different.

• First jump full hop.
  • Second jump to Forward+B.
  • Forward+B.
  • Upon landing, it will become canceled. Press Forward+B again.

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
^ This was already pretty widely known, I'm sure.

But...thanks.
dude of course it's widely known that pea money tea head str8 ^ pwnz with samus and converts other people to maining her, thus being solely responsible for the current spiking trend in incoming samus mains!!

jk :urg:

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
ha...hahaha...Well, I didn't really feel like being mean...but...totally, man. xD

In any case, this is pretty much USELESS, but Samus can do a pseudo combat walk thanks to the IASA frames on her u-tilt. Similar to marth's d-tilt, of course. Looks rather goofy, very mechanical...like a robot with not enough joints.

I promise I'll post something useful next time... *cries*

It's just that you guys have pretty much already said everything I do...Although, I DO enjoy catching some with my u-air and intentionally letting them out by di'ing back...simply to instantly do a f-air afterward. Possible link to d-tilt, which is always good. Little mindgame, I guess.

Lv.99

Smash Journeyman
Say, I don't know if this is discussed elswhere, or just Samus standards but, how exactly do you homing missle cancel to eliminate lag? I asked a toon link friend of mine how to do it but I don't think it will yield the same results.

Orichalcum

Smash Journeyman
Dunno if this belongs here but i rather not open a new, probably useless thread:

Today i accidently made an awesome move, it was on smashville. I sent the opponent ouside of stage and rushed after him. When he was coming directly to land on the floating platform i jumped in his direction, somehow i platform canceled to a powershield followed by a downtilt. Too bad i got no video proof but i went into training mode and after figuring it out i fooled around a bit.

This is most likely not really usefull but that zair to chargeshot move just looks too bad ***. I made a little video to further explain what im talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34znLPlCLWM

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
Dunno if this belongs here but i rather not open a new, probably useless thread:

Today i accidently made an awesome move, it was on smashville. I sent the opponent ouside of stage and rushed after him. When he was coming directly to land on the floating platform i jumped in his direction, somehow i platform canceled to a powershield followed by a downtilt. Too bad i got no video proof but i went into training mode and after figuring it out i fooled around a bit.

This is most likely not really usefull but that zair to chargeshot move just looks too bad ***. I made a little video to further explain what im talking about.

Wow cool. You got me addicted to grapple spam on lylat now. O_o

o_O

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties

This is the new platform missile canceling. Lylat Cruise is going to be a lot more fun now.

EDIT: This is harder than it looks. Any tips?

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
I haven't expiremented with this much in live matches, so I don't know how effective it is: but spamming UpB on the ledge gives you a ton of invincibility frames. If you fast-fall off the ledge right after you grab it, then UpB to grab it again, you should have invincibility frames that whole time, save for maybe 1 or 2 frames before grabbing the ledge again.

The person I did try it on, he tried intercepting me and I stage spiked him twice. XD

Orichalcum

Smash Journeyman
This is the new platform missile canceling. Lylat Cruise is going to be a lot more fun now.

EDIT: This is harder than it looks. Any tips?
yes, you can try getting a feeling for the platform cancel timing, like when you have to release the analog stick. Just do normal fulljumps and try around. with zair its a little harder but not that much. the only problem is that you often spotdodge right away. i tried it with other chars too but i think samus is easy because of her floaty jump. you can try it with other chars i think that have a faster jump or try it when jumping after hanging on a edge, i find that hard :s

0RLY

I can platform cancel perfectly. With a zair.... not so much. When Samus fires the grapple, when should I airdodge? When Samus' feet goes through the platform, when her leg does?

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
I can platform cancel perfectly. With a zair.... not so much. When Samus fires the grapple, when should I airdodge? When Samus' feet goes through the platform, when her leg does?
I don't airdodge at all to platform cancel. I just tap down.

Dobs1007

Smash Ace
Good stuff once again Rohins able to do zair platform canceling most of time now. On side note guess tips IMO having tap jump on gives Samus few options that are difficult to pull off without option on ie easiness of up b from shield and ability to do quick jump auto dair or other aerials with quick flick on control stick with flick on c-stick with corresponding aerial you want to do. Uses if can time Meta's down smash can do tap jump dair trick can either fast fall dair down or double jump comes available sooner then normal shorthop dair so can double jump into other aerials.

regorris

Smash Apprentice
Disclaimer: This may be common knowledge--or maybe an hallucination on my part.

I found that intercepting someone coming recovering using dair occasionally resulted in them getting spiked at an angle down-and-toward the platform, instead of to their deaths. So, I go the idea to RAR into a dair, and lo and behold, when someone jumped straight up into me while standing at the edge, I killed them.

I've tried to reproduce this... but it seems like there are parts of samus's dair that send the victim straight down, and other parts that send them at an angle. Anybody care to help backup this claim (or shoot it down).

[To my shame, I don't have the capacity to capture vids]

Dobs1007

Smash Ace
Disclaimer: This may be common knowledge--or maybe an hallucination on my part.

I found that intercepting someone coming recovering using dair occasionally resulted in them getting spiked at an angle down-and-toward the platform, instead of to their deaths. So, I go the idea to RAR into a dair, and lo and behold, when someone jumped straight up into me while standing at the edge, I killed them.

I've tried to reproduce this... but it seems like there are parts of samus's dair that send the victim straight down, and other parts that send them at an angle. Anybody care to help backup this claim (or shoot it down).

[To my shame, I don't have the capacity to capture vids]
I know what you are talking about I've done it and had people do it to me Muz actually pulled it off on me in an online ditto when I got careless ledge jumping in a match. I have vid of me pulling it off on my friends Pit if you want me to post.

Orichalcum

Smash Journeyman
Yeah you dont need to airdodge Orly

Wow cool. You got me addicted to grapple spam on lylat now. O_o

o_O

You got me to try exactly that. I tried to spam it like i would with missiles in melee but i cant quite get it down. There seems to be some delay on dropping down from the platform, like a fraction of a second so when i try to do this really fast i end up crouching and down tilting. However i found out that spot dodging works, it seems to last long enough so i could drop down and spam it, just not as fast. And lastly, my thumb hurts like hell from doing this lol.
I recorder my best attempts to show you what i mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH3nVuKr6lA

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
Yeah you dont need to airdodge Orly

You got me to try exactly that. I tried to spam it like i would with missiles in melee but i cant quite get it down. There seems to be some delay on dropping down from the platform, like a fraction of a second so when i try to do this really fast i end up crouching and down tilting. However i found out that spot dodging works, it seems to last long enough so i could drop down and spam it, just not as fast. And lastly, my thumb hurts like hell from doing this lol.
I recorder my best attempts to show you what i mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH3nVuKr6lA
tap shield when you land on the platform to cancel your lag. You can drop through the platform quicker after shield release.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
I always thought it was the airdodge that causes you to instantly land, not the shield.
How would you airdodge if you're in your zair animation? It's the same concept as "spamming missiles" with platforms. When you land with a missile you can't instantly go through a platform, you need to either tap down twice or shield and then go down.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
Wavelanding was ridiculously fun in Melee.

Yeah this sig stays up until he gets his account unbanned. Being banned for having an opinion is stupid.

Mars-

Smash Champion
**** everyone is having so much trouble doing this. Where is phanna when we need him the most?

EDIT: MAJOR EDIT, I don't know if people have already discovered this but you don't actually need to press shield simply pressing down and z at the right moment works too. The only downside is it is rediculously hard to get the grapple fully extended.

0RLY

Is the dash platform drop from Melee still in Brawl? I remember seeing a lot of platform maneuvering in Phanna's Platforms 101 vid.

@ Mars: Phanna is in: MK Wii, Brawl Tactical Discussion, Atlantic South, and various tournament threads. Plus he mains Marth in Brawl, so...

Clockmire

Smash Journeyman
I've got a semi-tip that I accidentally found while fighting a Snake Player. You can cancel his Up smash (where he shoots a rocket upwards) with Samus' nair. This also works if you actually get popped up in the air from Snake taking out his mortar, since you have enough time to recover from the stun.

Hope I helped!

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
Well...in light of all the recent platform cancelling discussions, I thought I'd ask what I'm doing wrong. After the z-air, I'm somehow buffering a spotdodge...every time. How exactly are you guys doing this? What buttons, etc. I can't seem to get a regular z-air with a platform cancel. :(

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
I don't know if someone already mentioned it (don't have the patience to look through all the pages with slow computer) but you can charge Samus's beam as many times as you want by shielding / cancelling just before it is at full charge. It will never max out unless you let it finish. You can use it for mindgamez to make it look like you're going to fire the beam. =D

Mars-

Smash Champion
Well...in light of all the recent platform cancelling discussions, I thought I'd ask what I'm doing wrong. After the z-air, I'm somehow buffering a spotdodge...every time. How exactly are you guys doing this? What buttons, etc. I can't seem to get a regular z-air with a platform cancel. :(
You gotta be quick. You press down then z. The timing is difficult too.

Top Bottom