• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ULTIMATE Samus Guide

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
SHMC a Super Missile --> FFZair --> Ftilt
This should register as a 3 hit combo in Training Mode. Hit with a straight Ftilt and you get 21% damage. Hit with an upward-angled Ftilt, and you get 24% damage.

SHMC a Super Missile --> FFZair --> Fair
Yeah, you gotta kinda get in their faces with the FFZair segment for it to work, but it should register as a 7 hit combo in Training Mode. 32% total damage.

With these, you pretty much hit or miss, so you know if you've done it right or not.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
HAY GUYS! I found something cool, so Imma gonna post it here instead of a new thread, mmkay?

Run towards the ledge of the stage, right as you reach the ledge, rar sh zair. WA-LA! Insta-edgehog thats faster than speed hugging!

A seemingly useless addition to the above trick, if you tap down while in the middle of the insta-edgehog (after you grapple, before you're hanging) you'll release the tether and instantly grab the ledge. My techskill sucks so I can't do anything out of this cancel... but hey... if anyone has better tech skill than me *cough* you guys *cough* GO EXPERIMENT!

EDIT: Just to prove that you CAN do something about this, I was able to drop, dj, bair. In practice, it looks like it would be the fastest possible way to get a bair close to the ledge. *DA-DOOOM* An easier way to KO! Well, it's another bair setup.

Julz

Smash Apprentice
This is awesome. You don't even need to run in order to perform an insta-tetherhog. It might be possible for samus players to use the insta-tetherhog as a defensive measure when the opponent attempts to push them off the stage. Then the Samus player performs a ledge attack or a ledgehop+something to punish the aggressor during his/her ending lag.

Hive

Smash Lord
my fave combos are still anything that leads into up b
dash>up B (or pivot grab)
dtilt>up B
utilt>up B
at around 60% the knockback is such that after a dash you can throw in an usmash too and then go into spin attack... its pretty effective taking into account you're not going against someone who is used to spin attacks coming from these moves and air dodges immediately. :(
oh... also when you are bombing on and off the ledge you can use the roll to go pretty seemlessly into an off ledge homing missile.. or anything else really...
I'm sure these are all basic... probably mentioned elsewhere... but they just look so cute ^^

0RLY

Yeah, using Screw Attack a lot is really good because it makes your opponent think they need to airdodge sooner to avoid the oncoming Screw Attack. Then you can punish their airdodge. Bait and switch up!

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
By using the ledge, you can perform Samus' initial jab rapid-fire style.

--Stand on ledge so it looks like she's about to fall
--Jab
--Slightly tilt controller to the ledge again (to resume position as step 1)
--Jab again.

The animation of nearly fallinng off the ledge sorta cancels it out, so you can jab repeatedly more quickly than just waiting for the "2-hit combo" to end, or spot-dodging it.

Though doesn't look like anything usefull can come out of it. =/

0RLY

Gigas, that's just IASA frames. You can do the same thing with a crouch or a shield. I prefer the crouch because if you press the shield button at the wrong time or don't hold it down for the right time, the shield will come up and it will take 7 or so frames to unshield.

0RLY

That's not a true combo, it's a string. It'll take luck to land *gasp* 4 moves in a row without mindgames in between. Also, when mentioning aerials in a combo string, try to mention when you're jumping.

Get foe offstage (ftilt/throw/etc)>Jump and zair when it's going to hit>dj forward nair>edgehog.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Fire combo

Looks sweet when it works! ;P

Effective when the opponent has 0% to 10%. High failrate at higher %'s

SH fair > Dtilt > Usmash or running Usmash.

------------------------

I would love to hear if anyone has any combos that sets up for Bair at high %'s

SaiX

Smash Apprentice
That's not a true combo, it's a string. It'll take luck to land *gasp* 4 moves in a row without mindgames in between. Also, when mentioning aerials in a combo string, try to mention when you're jumping.

Get foe offstage (ftilt)>Jump and zair when it's going to hit>dj forward nair>edgehog.

i have done thas combo a lot of times
:confused:

VirisKnite

Smash Journeyman
Fire combo

Looks sweet when it works! ;P

Effective when the opponent has 0% to 10%. High failrate at higher %'s

SH fair > Dtilt > Usmash or running Usmash.

------------------------

I would love to hear if anyone has any combos that sets up for Bair at high %'s
Usmash in a combo?!... I like.

0RLY

@ Fire combo: I used to say it was a combo when I did it in melee. I'm not going to back the legitimacy of that combo, but whatever works for you.

@ SaiX: Good, the fact that you've done it before further proves it's effectiveness. It won't kill characters with average recoveries, but it gets Ike and Luigi in a tight spot.

@ Bair setup: Nonsense.

VirisKnite

Smash Journeyman
About PT, I thought types dealt with other characters also. I think its knockback more so than dmg like charizard has more resistance to dtilt(Samus'), and stuff like that.

0RLY

Hm, I think I worded my post poorly. The elemental attacks only affect knockback, not damage; which means Ivysaur would get knocked back too far for the combo to work. By PT types, I meant their elements. Ivysaur is the only grass type, fire attacks are abundant, and water attacks do jack. So pretty much, only Ivysaur is affected. Elements such as Ice, Electric, Aura, whatever have no effect on PT.

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
Aerial Beam-Missile Combo
It's much the same as a normal Beam-Missile combo, but Short Hop the Charged Beam. With forward momentum in your jump, it comes out faster and leaves you a little less vulnerable, as opposed to firing the beam on ground.

Chart: O = Beam < = Missile ___ = Floor

Normal Beam-Missile just out of cannon

...........<-
___________0 [Samus] Then as the projectiles travel, they even out.

Aerial Beam-Missile just out of cannon

.............. <0 [Samus] The projectiles come out even, and stay that way as they travel.

This also has shield-penetrating ability. From what little testing I did against Snake and Ike, if they decide to shield the attack (with full shield), the Super Missile will drain their shield just enough for the Charged Beam to land a headshot on them. It's pretty precise, though.

Also, if you land a Super Missile at somewhat-higher percents by accident at close range (i.e. if they run up to you, or you jump too far towards them), it will launch them upwards allowing you to follow up with a free Charged Beam.

EDIT: Ignore the green dots, they're there for spacing.

EDIT2: Homing Missiles don't drain the shield enough to land a headshot.

EDIT3: Also works against Falcon. As the character gets shorter, you'll have to delay the shot longer and longer, at the same time proving less-effective.

Doesn't seem to work against another Samus though. O_o

Julz

Smash Apprentice
This also has shield-penetrating ability. From what little testing I did against Snake and Ike, if they decide to shield the attack (with full shield), the Super Missile will drain their shield just enough for the Charged Beam to land a headshot on them. It's pretty precise, though.
what happens when the opponent power shields?

0RLY

You got me to try exactly that. I tried to spam it like i would with missiles in melee but i cant quite get it down. There seems to be some delay on dropping down from the platform, like a fraction of a second so when i try to do this really fast i end up crouching and down tilting. However i found out that spot dodging works, it seems to last long enough so i could drop down and spam it, just not as fast. And lastly, my thumb hurts like hell from doing this lol.
I recorder my best attempts to show you what i mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH3nVuKr6lA
I felt that it was important to bring this up again. I found out how to do it somewhat consistently, but my fingers hurt after doing so.

Full hop > Zair (let go of Z) > mash down on the control stick like crazy > Zair (be fast, since mashing down will likely cause you to fastfall) > Repeat

Letting go of Z will replace your side dodge with a platform drop through. This is by far the fastest way to spam. Even faster than shffz!

Orichalcum

Smash Journeyman
nice orly i allready have given up on it because its somewhat very hard and hurts my fingers aswell :s
I tried that way you explained and i got it down like once and its sooooo **** hard to do, samus will really be **** fast, about as fast as spamming smash missiles on pkmn stadium in melee.

when i tried this i felt as if you got to tilt down about the same time you platform cancel so if you do you drop down immediately and be so fast, i couldnt even react and follow up with something lol.

Edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spFgKaJ3Jkk

Okay i run into so many things why im unable to do this. First off as you can see in the video while mashing the stick down i would turn myself to the right. Second it really happens randomly that i drop through the platform right away. Most of the time i would crouch and then drop through. Third would be since i mash down as fast as i can i often miss the platform cancel.

Oh dear god this would be so godly if it would work, it would be so fast, about 3 zairs per second. I wish phanna was still around and show us all off im so sure he could do it

Hive

Smash Lord
probably not new, but I was messing around in pokemon trainer stadium 1 the other day and I found out that zairing under the ledge actually produces a hitbox that goes through the floor of the level at the tip of the zair... I already new fair and stuff could do this too, but the zair hitbox is pretty kwl, it just sort pops up out of nowhere ^^

Hive

Smash Lord
something I've been messing around with lately... but also probably not new is using the knockback from the chargeshot to move into a spike... sorta like the bomb tech where you use the knockback from the bomb to lead into a spike...
with the chargeshot it works pretty much the same except it has a larger knockback, and can hit people off the ledge at a further distance.... the kwl thing about it though is that even if its shielded it still has enough knockback to hit them off the ledge... right into spikey territory for people with poor recoveries^^
pretty situational, but still pretty fun to try out^^

edit: been working on fully charged lcs for hanging enemies as well :)

Aran

Smash Apprentice
Gah, can you get videos of that anytime? I've been practicing with it since it was mentioned, and I STILL can't do it reliably at all. I need to see whether it's a timing issue that I've got down wrong. Uncharged come out for me practically every time. Something different about the full charge :(

Hive

Smash Lord
well if its not working its probably the timing lol (not sure what else it'd be..). :)... Its fairly tricky though...I don't have a youtube account though... but I'll try to get a vid up soon....

Crystanium

Smash Hero
The interesting thing about stuff like this is that once you learn to time it right, it's already ingrained in your mind. When I was testing out the pivot grab, I was thinking, "How did my hands do this?" I tried to figure out how my hands performed the pivot grab, rather than trying to say, "Dash forward, turn and quickly tap Z."

Jasona

Smash Ace
The interesting thing about stuff like this is that once you learn to time it right, it's already ingrained in your mind. When I was testing out the pivot grab, I was thinking, "How did my hands do this?" I tried to figure out how my hands performed the pivot grab, rather than trying to say, "Dash forward, turn and quickly tap Z."
muscle memory is beastly
why haven't i noticed this thread before? its chocked full of interesting ideas
i was pulling off some crazy stuff today. sliding after landing a fair or shuffling a zair while DI'ing backwards, accidentally platform canceling on non-moving platforms (i think... pretty sure thats what it was), double hits with bombs... samus is crazy good and shes still getting better. all we need is some crazy bomb tech and we're set

J4pu

Smash Champion
muscle memory is beastly
why haven't i noticed this thread before? its chocked full of interesting ideas
i was pulling off some crazy stuff today. sliding after landing a fair or shuffling a zair while DI'ing backwards, accidentally platform canceling on non-moving platforms (i think... pretty sure thats what it was), double hits with bombs... samus is crazy good and shes still getting better. all we need is some crazy bomb tech and we're set
Bomb > Dtilt
works wonders, I was playing with n00b today, his Samus is awesome, if I didn't play Falco he might have been able to win some.
but seriously the bomb to Dtilt works really well for some reason

Jasona

Smash Ace
Bomb > Dtilt
works wonders, I was playing with n00b today, his Samus is awesome, if I didn't play Falco he might have been able to win some.
but seriously the bomb to Dtilt works really well for some reason
i was samus dittoing undr yesterday and every time he dropped a bomb, i got a free hit. most of the time i even canceled the bomb damage with my attack, but even when i didn't, the bomb damage was insignificant next to what i did to him. attacking with bombs is risky business that i always fail at against undr. as long as your opponent knows that the bombs are on a harmless timer, why would they ever hesitate to attack you?

J4pu

Smash Champion
according to n00b you can "crouch cancel" most of the lag from dropping a bomb (which puts you in the right position for Dtilt). But he didn't just use it at any old time, from what I noticed it seemed mostly when the opponent was shielding expecting him to attack
so it went like this: drop bomb, opponent drops shield trying to capitalize, samus gets out of ball animation faster than expected, dtilts, bomb blows up preventing any post dtilt retaliation.
He never spammed it which as with everything will get you punished, but rather waited for instances where the opponent couldnt immediately attack him, the bomb was more bait than anything else in this method.
Maybe he's just really good at reading people

Top Bottom