• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tiered Rankings / Gym Leader / Player Recognition Ideas

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Also, if you're a member of the elite 4 or the Champion, then you wouldn't be the regional leader. Just like Pokemon.

Makes regions like SoCal a little more manageable.
agreed

that way the gym leaders in the regions would be more varied and give some non-god tier players a chance to shine

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Not for real, but going with the pokemon theme:

Mango is Red at Mt. Silver. He's not one of the elite four, but you have to beat him on all his mains/alts to claim his title as Melee Master.
i wanna do a 10 on 10 crew battle my best 10 chars vs mangos best 10, or 26 vs 26. i think i could either win that or give up a very good fight

G

genkaku

A finite number of badges is fine for hype stuff but makes for all kinds of problems as a ranking system.
Rankings should aim to measure skill level, not skill # (at least not until the very top).
Regional stuff might get ugly 'cause being a good midwest player is not the same as being a good socal player... plus players travel. So much gray area.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
i actually think i could possibly take that and i would like to try it eventually for fun

i trained 18 pokemon to level 100 (maxing out their DVs) w/out rare candies and had a ton of 70s, 80s, and 90s as well. between blue/silver/crystal

reason - i wuz a loser lolol

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
i wanna do a 10 on 10 crew battle my best 10 chars vs mangos best 10, or 26 vs 26. i think i could either win that or give up a very good fight
you would get bodied ;)

but yeah a finite number of badges doesn't make sense in the sense of what we are trying to emulate

i think it is assumed in the pokemon universe that EVERYONE could obtain every badge, it was just super hard to do

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I'm going to repost this idea I said in the chat in the hopes to get it recognized, i think it's awesome.

Having top players banned tournaments organized as weeklies or bi-weeklies. The SF community here in MTL do this at times for getting the mid level a chance to win because the level discrepancy is too big. We had PACKED events when these happened and it was super hype with plenty of sidebets going on since a lot of players that don't face each other often, do now face. During the preparations for those tournaments, during the week the mid levels players would choose a coach amongst those top players in order to train and get advice from them. I mean it would give them exposure in the scene while not always getting drowned out the top players at every single tournament. Then, the winner of those tournaments who do get $ can get a shot at fighting the top players in a small event or like a Round Robin... or like a gladiator type of battle.

Those prize fighting event idea from Scar was really good so I think this one falls along the same lines.

ElloEddy

Smash Journeyman
sick idea elite 4 ..and gym leader ( regional badge holders )

like top 3 best in a region hold badges and we gotta beat em to the badges ...sounds fun

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
realistically though, you can't expect anyone to actually become a "melee master" by beating (insert top 4 player gamertag). if they were able to beat those guys, that would be just as hard as winning a national, maybe harder.

we should create a system where those top players should use their judgement to decide if a player deserves a badge or not.

joY

Pot splitter
I would drive the distance just for the chance to claim it.

It would be an adventure.

Plus, I would learn something.

Bad Cupboard

Smash Apprentice
we should create a system where those top players should use their judgement to decide if a player deserves a badge or not.
That's a really, really, really bad idea

It should be hard to get badges. It should be about being a good player, not about being friends with a top player.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
yeah badges should be hard as **** to get from top players

that would be the most loyal comparison to the true pokemon feeling we are going for

joY

Pot splitter
How would top players get the badges in the first place?

Obviously there will be more than 3 top players in one region.

Do they, themselves, duke it out?

joY

Pot splitter
It would be pretty easy to update this thread with badge holders (gym leaders) located by region, or even sub-region, if it calls for it.

All that would be left is making the badges (however simple or complicated of a process you would want it to be, idk) then accepting challengers that come to you.

Hell. Don't even make the badges. Just have this thread indicate who the gym leaders are.

#hype

/toohyped

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
you're asking a really big demand on mid level players though.

you have to beat not only the people who are likely to win the tournaments in your area, but you have to travel to other areas where the players might even be better? jeez. it'll be entertaining, but not very common. i'd rather win a tourney tbh.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Additionally, you have to walk to every tournament.

DJRome

Smash Hero
Just do 6 characters of each player's choice, then you can do it like a crew battle. And if you beat 2 or more leaders, you become one. Shouldn't be limited in # by region

G

genkaku

because there are regions (kanto, johto, hoenn, sinnoh, unova) you could create 5 geographical regions and have the top 8 players in each (determined by melee BR or something) be gym leaders. Top 4/5 in the world are exempt. This would make it more reasonable but still very difficult for a mid-level player to travel to tournaments and collect 8 badges to form a suite, in the process becoming a better player.
Actually this feels like a pretty workable system, but would definitely be independent to any ELO or tier style player ranking. Almost like it's own project altogether.
This is also something that one region could do independently of the others if there isn't universal interest.
I like it.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
realistically though, you can't expect anyone to actually become a "melee master" by beating (insert top 4 player gamertag). if they were able to beat those guys, that would be just as hard as winning a national, maybe harder.

You sir, have completely missed the point. It's to add hype to matches, title fights...bringing pride back into it. Scar was talking about how he wanted so bad to get on the PR but once he did it no longer mattered. He had reached that level and he wouldn't move much on it.

This is to make something that you can lose, or at the very least something you don't want to give out. I don't like the idea of regional badges because...there'd be so many, some would matter, some wouldn't and that would cheapen them. Who is going to travel anyways for a badge? People would get hyped for PP to steal Armada's badge, and other's would start improving knowing they're not far from being a badge holder if they can beat one of them.
Alright, so we're just using power rankings now
Why I don't like regional badges.

joY

Pot splitter
I like the idea, I was replying to someone that said we should just post the badge holders on this thread instead of having concrete objects.
Why not both?

you have to beat not only the people who are likely to win the tournaments in your area, but you have to travel to other areas where the players might even be better? jeez. it'll be entertaining, but not very common. i'd rather win a tourney tbh.
Well these "battles" or whatever can take place exclusively at tournaments held within the region. You don't have to travel to the tournaments to fight for a badge if you don't have to, but if you are a badge holder then you are encouraged to show at your regional events, to create more hype for the challengers.

Additionally, there can be a stipulation for badge holders to show to an event within a given time period if challenged, so badge holders aren't just claiming their prize then hiding out. Say, a month to two months after challenged, or something. I dunno.

Each person can hold only one badge at a time, so slowly, the TOP 8 that hold the badges will become stronger.

For example, if player A knows he can't beat gym leader 1 but he can beat gym leader 2, and does, then this only strengthens the tiered system of the region, which, I assume, is the whole point in the first place.

These regional badges couldn't be won by players of other regions, cause, you know, they're not from the region. yadda yadda

Actually, this could hype nationals even more when, say, one gym leader from PacWest beats a gym leader from Midwest, and what have you.

Meh.

Just spit-balling.

A lot of this, if not all of it, is spit-balling.

Sounds like a really fun thing to do.

But you have to get enough people per region on board to do it.

Top Bottom