• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tiered Rankings / Gym Leader / Player Recognition Ideas

Pengie

Smash Lord
I think the tier idea is really good. We have something similar here in GA and just last week at our weekly smashfest we had some hype exhibition money matches between players in the same tier. It did a really good job of injecting some excitement and it made almost everyone in the ATL area come out for the fest. I could imagine something similar happening at nationals as a lead up to the top 8 or something similar.

Gea

Smash Master
Is Cactaur the dude inside every gym dispensing sage like wisdom that seems simple but will net you the victory?

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
If we get tournament upload functionality on Smashboards, could we potentially create this tiered list from tournament results?

Bones0

Smash Legend
The top player in each region is considered the Gym Leader. Other top players in the region can challenge the gym Leader to a bo5 set to take control of the gym. Once every three months (per player), a lower skilled player can challenge the gym leader to a battle for a badge. They will play a set with each game starting at 6 stocks, but the gym leader must SD his first two stocks so each match starts 6 stocks to 4 (to make it more obtainable of a goal). If the challenger wins, he gets a badge, and he can then go on to challenge other gym leaders at nationals or nearby regionals that they travel to. We can have challenge sign ups or something before nationals so gym leaders aren't having to play 100 people in a single weekend, but gym leaders will also be limited to the number of challenges they can decline on a regular basis (no ****ing Giovanni's 3-month taking a vacation).

You can also expand this layout on either end. Gym leaders can appoint 1-3 gym trainers that have earned badges, but cannot yet beat the gym leader himself. There wouldn't necessarily be any reward other than pride, but I know most newer players are fine with that. If you lose to a gym trainer 2 times and finally beat him, that's proof of your progress, which gives you more hope that you can one day beat the gym leader, and maybe other gym leaders, and eventually the Elite 4! ;)

On the top end, you can have the Elite 4 + Armada (Adam mother****ing Oak) as a challenge for top level players. They will have to beat all 5 players in 5 individual games in a row, but they will be allowed to pick what stage each match is played on out of the 6 legal stages (because having to be the best in the world for a pride match to be relevant is dumb).

joY

Pot splitter
I don't think having only one gym leader per region would work as well as eight. Eight is much more accessible to mid-level players, especially if each gym leader has gym trainers, or what-have-you.

And none of us are Ash Ketchum; we aren't going to beat the Elite 4 + Armada in a row.

If you show that you are consistently better than one member of the Elite 4 (by whatever objective means yet to be determined), then you replace that member, a la any classic ladder.

Bones0

Smash Legend
That doesn't really work because there's no real accomplishment in beating someone since you have 6 stocks.
If it turns out to be too easy, just adjust it to a 1 stock lead. All I know is requiring people to win straight up is dumb because it creates the same problem power rankings have. Once you're good enough to earn the title, you no longer care. There's still a sense of accomplishment if you can beat someone with 2 extra stocks if the last time you challenged them you couldn't, or maybe you only took a game.

I don't think having only one gym leader per region would work as well as eight. Eight is much more accessible to mid-level players, especially if each gym leader has gym trainers, or what-have-you.

And none of us are Ash Ketchum; we aren't going to beat the Elite 4 + Armada in a row.

If you show that you are consistently better than one member of the Elite 4 (by whatever objective means yet to be determined), then you replace that member, a la any classic ladder.
Having more than one gym leader just means everyone will challenge the weakest one anyway, and there's no logical reason your goal should be to beat the 8th best person in your region... I don't see how getting a single set with your region's best player isn't accessible. As far as the Elite 4, that's sort of the same reason as above. By the time you can consistently beat someone in the top 5, you're not going to care about the Elite 4 challenge.

joY

Pot splitter
Well, I never said it wasn't accessible, just that having eight gym leaders would be more accessible.

And yes, I anticipated that some players would challenge the weakest of the eight gym leaders. In defeating and claiming the title of weaker gym leaders, you then strengthen the entirety of the region.

edit: a novel, and very very cool idea.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
yeah this is Cactuar

That seems like something I would do.

:troll:

On a side note, it'd be nice to have a keychain type thing to put on the controller cable near the plug. Add whatever the reward things are to it. Flair. Gotta accessorize. *****es love accessories.

G

genkaku

haha, smashers' controllers start looking like japanese schoolgirls' cellphones.

I don't mind 8 leaders per region 'cause it makes achieving things much more realistic for newer players including myself. Top 8 nationwide is daunting, top 8 regionally with the option to travel and conquer gym leaders from other regions seems like a better system. Top 8 per region allows for a more manageable gradient of difficulty from bolder/zephyr/whatever (8th best in a region) to earth (best in the region excluding top 5 in the world).
This means that a lot more people would have 1 badge than say, 5. That seems like a nice, natural, curve to me and I don't think anyone really minds having more bolder badge wearers around than earth badges.
Plus it makes this less of an exclusive system and more about a larger community, which of course is what the whole discussion stemmed from.

MountainGoat

Smash Journeyman
Are people actually serious about this? It sounds so lame... hey look I got a sticker and some cute accessories on my controller XDDDDD. Just play the game....

ELO rankings would be a much better system to track progress etc.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I'm going to repost this idea I said in the chat in the hopes to get it recognized, i think it's awesome.

Having top players banned tournaments organized as weeklies or bi-weeklies. The SF community here in MTL do this at times for getting the mid level a chance to win because the level discrepancy is too big. We had PACKED events when these happened and it was super hype with plenty of sidebets going on since a lot of players that don't face each other often, do now face. During the preparations for those tournaments, during the week the mid levels players would choose a coach amongst those top players in order to train and get advice from them. I mean it would give them exposure in the scene while not always getting drowned out the top players at every single tournament. Then, the winner of those tournaments who do get $ can get a shot at fighting the top players in a small event or like a Round Robin... or like a gladiator type of battle.

Those prize fighting event idea from Scar was really good so I think this one falls along the same lines.
Yeah, an Arcadian event. Its a Socal classic.

We're planning to do one for our next big OXY thing.

Power ranked players are barred from entry, but they are allowed to "sponsor" a player of their choosing. They then coach and train that player in the weeks preceding the tournament, and put cash (lets say $30) into the sponsors pot. If their player wins, they get the sponsors pot, and their player gets the actual pot. If a non-sponsored player wins, they get both pots.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
I say 6 gym leaders per region, so we can have gym leader crew battles. Have it so during tourneys people can challenge gym leaders (1 chance per tourney) (also maybe a limit of how many matches the gym leaders have to accept per tourney). then after a certain amount of time we would need to come up with a system to replace gym leaders if others prove to be better.

:phone:

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
If we have too many leaders for every region we really are just making power rankings where we award stupid bottle caps (pokemon reference) for people beating the seventh best in the region who probably isn't that high above others in the region.

I'll shut up after this cause ive said it a lot but badges should be a king of the hill style challenge IMO. Make the badge mean something, if you lose you lose your badge, keep people on point and keep people clutching onto their title unlike pr where who gives a ****, your not going down from a single loss.

No region is going to make a million badges to give away of all different types for the top 8. I actually think this would be awesome and I want it to happen so I think challenges to be the badge carrier rather than to make a badge collection are more realistic.

joY

Pot splitter
Exactly.

1 badge per 1 gym leader.

You lose the set (or whatever), then that's it.

You hand it over.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
I understand what you guys are saying but at the same time 1 lost meaning u lose being the gym leader seems kinda harsh and we might just end up with a game of hot potato. How about after 3 months all the people who have won badges can do something to challenge whoever badges they have gotten for the right to be a gym leader.

Also while I would support physical badges if that is not possible we could do electronic badges.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Yeah, on stream they said having both digital and physical badges would be perfect, either or really works

Edit: reading the title I thought we as a community were recognizing idea as a good player...

Edit 2: lol Prog

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
I understand what you guys are saying but at the same time 1 lost meaning u lose being the gym leader seems kinda harsh and we might just end up with a game of hot potato. How about after 3 months all the people who have won badges can do something to challenge whoever badges they have gotten for the right to be a gym leader.

Also while I would support physical badges if that is not possible we could do electronic badges.

Don't lose. Play your all. It's a motivating tool. This isn't little league where you get a trophy for participation.

joY

Pot splitter
Well you could have X number of gym trainers that were necessary to beat first, ala an actual gym.

Or not.

But the set for the badge holder can be something like Bo7, to avoid the "hot potato" situation.

I think the maximum number of badges someone can hold ought to be 1.

And once you are a badge holder, then you are a gym leader. Es so simpo

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Don't lose. Play your all. It's a motivating tool. This isn't little league where you get a trophy for participation.
Damn straight. If anything these matches should have more punishment for losing, all challenges should be taken to the shadow realm. We can just do this YGO style and have a bunch of melee set ups around a city with Egyptian God Tiers.

Bones0

Smash Legend
If you guys really want more than one gym leader per region, you could have an Elite 4 + Champion for each region. You have to beat all of them in a row (just single games) with 2 extra stocks per game. Then if you want a position in the Elite 4 you have to challenge them to a straight up set. That better? :D

t3h Icy

Smash Master
BC is the Falco gym. The leader is Sion and trainers include but are not limited to, Blunted Object, Yakal, Daltsy, and Dieslow.

:awesome:

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
If you guys really want more than one gym leader per region, you could have an Elite 4 + Champion for each region. You have to beat all of them in a row (just single games) with 2 extra stocks per game. Then if you want a position in the Elite 4 you have to challenge them to a straight up set. That better? :D
Uh why not just have a crew battle?

You have 20 stocks and they each (Elite 4 + Champ) have 4.

Wieners

Smash Apprentice
Power ranked players are barred from entry, but they are allowed to "sponsor" a player of their choosing. They then coach and train that player in the weeks preceding the tournament, and put cash (lets say $30) into the sponsors pot. If their player wins, they get the sponsors pot, and their player gets the actual pot. If a non-sponsored player wins, they get both pots.
I thought the training thing wasn't actually happening because players like Mango aren't actually going to train their dude.

joY

Pot splitter
I don't like this idea at all.

What is the point of having 2 extra stocks to play them in the first place if you have to play them "straight up" to have a position? And in single games? It's almost as if this preliminary round of matches are meaningless.

It's much simpler to just have a number of gym leaders per region, that are all willing to participate in this.

The best, say, 6 or 8 players in the region are the ones that keep their badges, or, position as gym leader.

Top Bottom