• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Did you have to stand on line for one hour, only for the employees to tell you that he was sold out? ;-;
One guy in line for Greninja on Monday did.

Tenth in line. Each TRU was supposed to have ten, somehow mine got nine. We all agreed that was kind of shady, but couldn't do anything about it. I feel bad for the guy.

I wasn't far off myself, I was eighth.

Well...which of these avatars do you guys associate with KenithTheGatherer the most?

I ask because I am trying to decide which one to make my true "trademark" avatar, the one everyone will recognize me for.
Honestly, I don't tend to associate users with avatars very often unless they pick avatars with a common theme (Moydow and Ace Attorney, Weeman and Hawlucha, ~ Valkyrie ~ and Valkyrie, NSG and Ike, Unknown Hero and Young Link), or I've seen the avatar for a long time running (Wintropy, BindingShield, Pega-Pony Princess, the king of murder). I don't associate any of those in particular with you off the top of my head as a result, though that could also be because you just changed it and I haven't been paying attention. I'm occasionally known for that.
Hell no I didn't tag you all, I've done enough of that recently.

Now that said I can offer a recommendation - Kireek. He's not as generic as the knight, doesn't have the unfocused feel of the skeletons, is lesser known than the other characters in the lineup,. This means you will should be able to associate the image with your username successfully - face to a name, if you will - and you won't have to work as hard to do so as you might with some of the others.

That all said you have a nice spread here. I would advise against the skeleton and the knight in lieu of the other options - the former is more difficult to associate with a person due to effectively having multiple people, the latter is so generic it's difficult to associate it with anything - but after that, you could probably work with whatever you pick.

Last edited:

Rikter

Smash Cadet
I can't even remember the last time I bothered to set an avatar on a website then again I've not posted often on forums in years so that is why.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I do have a theme though.
I'm the Dark Souls guy. :chuckle:
No, right now you're the toast guy. Which is making me hungry.

Regardless, this moves the knight's priority up some, but I still feel the purple robot dude Kireek would still be best to work with in a vacuum. Unless you got a stash of Dark Souls Whatshisname somewhere.

I can't even remember the last time I bothered to set an avatar on a website then again I've not posted often on forums in years so that is why.
5 years, 60 posts. I believe it.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
No, right now you're the toast guy. Which is making me hungry.

Regardless, this moves the knight's priority up some, but I still feel the purple robot dude Kireek would still be best to work with in a vacuum. Unless you got a stash of Dark Souls Whatshisname somewhere.
I've got seven Dark Souls avatars in my collection...all of which I've used for an extended amount of time.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I've got seven Dark Souls avatars in my collection...all of which I've used for an extended amount of time.
...really?

Show off a few. I honestly can't recall - full discretion, I can't recall much of anything in Dark Souls' art direction, that's probably just me - but maybe one of them will spark a memory.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
...huh. Well.

I still vote Kireek, but if you aren't really feeling it, going with more Dark Souls sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

I gotta ask though, as someone who hasn't played the game - is everything in Dark Souls that monochrome?

Side note, holiday edition is well played.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If I ever get premium I always wanted to change my name to something relating to Dark Souls for the hell of it.
Maybe "Kenith, The Furtive Pygmy" since I'm so easily forgotten. :ohwell:
Have you gotten Bloodborne yet? :estatic:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Have you gotten Bloodborne yet? :estatic:
Not until I get $400 for a PS4 :urg:

...huh. Well.
I still vote Kireek, but if you aren't really feeling it, going with more Dark Souls sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
I gotta ask though, as someone who hasn't played the game - is everything in Dark Souls that monochrome?
Side note, holiday edition is well played.
Well, it is called Dark Souls. ;)

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I dreamt last night that a Lucas trailer went live and he had a Masked Man alt. and a new Uair.

Then Roy showed up.

Then the trailer concluded with Raquaza coming out of a Pokeball and going Mega while a Gengar was out and performing an attack.

The Rayquaza disappeared. The Gengar did not. And he started attacking other fighters and a "Gengar Sneaks In!" splash screen popped up.

I am known to experience deja vu multiple times.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Well...which of these avatars do you guys associate with KenithTheGatherer the most?
I ask because I am trying to decide which one to make my true "trademark" avatar, the one everyone will recognize me for.
Well around the time i got to Smashboards the one i associated you the most with was the Skeleton guy, but that purtple armor guy also left quite a mark.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Well, it is called Dark Souls. ;)
I suppose that's true.

I don't think I'm the best one to make a call on Dark Souls avatars. I feel biased against the art style, it just seems bland to me. It's like all the subtle lighting and shading effects actually make the armor more near-total monochrome, fuses everything more together; it's just such a pain to see where things really stop and start. I see all the nifty little details in the armor. I see a lot of intricacies. I really want to like it. But some part of me is fighting it.

Agh. Drifloons. :drflip: I don't wanna hate on Dark Souls. I know the game's good and it don't deserve grief from a monochrome rat. I stand by my thoughts, but take my stance on 'em with one or two grains of salt. End of the day, your opinion matters most. Maybe if I actually played it some I'd understand it better.

I will say if you're going for an iconic knight look you picked the right one in the first lineup.

Lemme gab about the others and I'll leave it at that.

The contrast on Kireek makes him stand out very well - notice that light-on-dark-on-light-again going on, really gives everything some nice definition - and makes him fairly easy to identify at a glance. Ellie is similar but subtler. Midna and Lucina have the same advantage in contrast, but in a darker overall palette. And the Shulk has a pretty identifiable look overall as well, since Girahim!Shulk is a rarity.

It's also worth noting that brighter characters stand out better in Smashboards Dark, which as the default is most likely to be what you want to stand out against.

Phew.

I hope I could be of any help. Imma get some toast now.

[EDIT]: I'm ********. It's not the monochrome, it's that it's all desaturated and washed out.

I fiddled around in GIMP with a few of the knights and technically I can come up with something more vibrant - vibrant stands out better, of course - but besides the fact that you lose some fine detail, that's part of Dark Souls' look, on purpose, and I don't know your opinion on deviating from that.

That said I've prepared a demonstration. Look what happens when we teach a man to polish:

gold_before_after.png

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I dreamt last night that a Lucas trailer went live and he had a Masked Man alt. and a new Uair.
Then Roy showed up.
Then the trailer concluded with Raquaza coming out of a Pokeball and going Mega while a Gengar was out and performing an attack.
The Rayquaza disappeared. The Gengar did not. And he started attacking other fighters and a "Gengar Sneaks In!" splash screen popped up.
I am known to experience deja vu multiple times.
That sounds like an extremely awesome experience.
___ Sneaks In was my imaginary tagline for Solid Snake if he ever comes back :crying:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!

Rikter

Smash Cadet
Not at all honestly they aren't too distinct from each other in this game so I could easily see someone mixing them up if they hadn't ever seen them before and sometimes even after seeing both.

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Not at all honestly they aren't too distinct from each other in this game so I could easily see someone mixing them up if they hadn't ever seen them before and sometimes even after seeing both.
:4lucina:"That's it! Prepare to meet the end of my blade, spawn of Grima!"

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
So I was on the front page of Smashboards reading about the new Mii Swordfighter tech, when I looked over at the recent activity page...

Nonspecificguy.png

Never change @ NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I suppose that's true.

I don't think I'm the best one to make a call on Dark Souls avatars. I feel biased against the art style, it just seems bland to me. It's like all the subtle lighting and shading effects actually make the armor more near-total monochrome, fuses everything more together; it's just such a pain to see where things really stop and start. I see all the nifty little details in the armor. I see a lot of intricacies. I really want to like it. But some part of me is fighting it.

Agh. Drifloons. :drflip: I don't wanna hate on Dark Souls. I know the game's good and it don't deserve grief from a monochrome rat. I stand by my thoughts, but take my stance on 'em with one or two grains of salt. End of the day, your opinion matters most. Maybe if I actually played it some I'd understand it better.

I will say if you're going for an iconic knight look you picked the right one in the first lineup.

Lemme gab about the others and I'll leave it at that.

The contrast on Kireek makes him stand out very well - notice that light-on-dark-on-light-again going on, really gives everything some nice definition - and makes him fairly easy to identify at a glance. Ellie is similar but subtler. Midna and Lucina have the same advantage in contrast, but in a darker overall palette. And the Shulk has a pretty identifiable look overall as well, since Girahim!Shulk is a rarity.

It's also worth noting that brighter characters stand out better in Smashboards Dark, which as the default is most likely to be what you want to stand out against.

Phew.

I hope I could be of any help. Imma get some toast now.

[EDIT]: I'm ********. It's not the monochrome, it's that it's all desaturated and washed out.

I fiddled around in GIMP with a few of the knights and technically I can come up with something more vibrant - vibrant stands out better, of course - but besides the fact that you lose some fine detail, that's part of Dark Souls' look, on purpose, and I don't know your opinion on deviating from that.

That said I've prepared a demonstration. Look what happens when we teach a man to polish:

View attachment 49799

I actually did though

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
So I was on the front page of Smashboards reading about the new Mii Swordfighter tech, when I looked over at the recent activity page...

View attachment 49805

Never change @ NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy
@ NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy came here to like posts and chew bubblegum, and he's all out of gum!
I know, I know. I only have two settings: novel and witty one-liner.
And occasionally Reply To All.
At least you're not like my 1 sentence (maybe) and then pics and gifs spam.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Not really, sorry. Most of that stuff I already have considered.
Ah, well. It was a good effort, anyway.

For sake of it, why'd you go with Moira in the end? Fine choice, mind, just interested in how you arrived at it.

@ NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy came here to like posts and chew bubblegum, and he's all out of gum!

At least you're not like my 1 sentence (maybe) and then pics and gifs spam.
I see two sentences in that reply. You're cheating at your own game, man.

Seriously, though, could be worse.

Top Bottom