• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips and Tactics to know as Samus Players *Work in Progress*

Homing missles hit crouching Wario, so does Charge Shot...

Please avoid reviving threads unless we have some useful input to add :/.

Btw....

SDI Peach's Dair *up seems to work best for me* to get out of it.

SDI above Bowser's Flame Breath to punish him whilst the move is still active.

Another small cliche thing... You can go under FD with bombs and stuff as Samus. You may want to add that to the list.

Oh and one major thing. UpB when Bowser does his and they will clank. ALWAYS.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Up B clanks with a lot of things. I've clanked with DK's Side B, MK's nado(I think), and even a fully Charged CS from another Samus(epic/lolwut)

Up B clanks with a lot of things. I've clanked with DK's Side B, MK's nado(I think), and even a fully Charged CS from another Samus(epic/lolwut)
But the thing is, Bowser's UpB has invincibility on frames 1-5. Some people may assume it gets us.

MAOMAO!

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2552-3131-4574
Hey guys, new smash board member and I'm also a Samus main....any tips on how to deal with Samus' clone other side ZSS?

Don't ever let her get below you, otherwise she will juggle you to hell and back. Her uair is extremely fast, it beats alot of our aerials/options so it's better to just try and airdodge away, we really can't do much in this area.

Our zair outranges her side b, so we effectivly can, outspace her, but once a smart ZSS starts to powershield and rush in, things get difficult. UpB OoS her approaches.

Thats an extremely brief thing for you to go off of.

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
I'm not sure if this has ever been touched on, but more and more I find that just having a full charge shot charged is an excellent way to screw with your opponent's play style (especially if they can cape/absorb/reflect it). I've talked to a couple of people about it, and it seems like they all play a little out of their comfort zone when they have "dodge charge shot" in the back of their head.

I dunno if this is a super cool thing, I just wanted to share it and see if anyone else has considered this before.

Add me to that list. It's a very common tactic of mine, just not against Links for some strange reason :/

ZeroL

Smash Apprentice
Me too, it just feels great to mindgame your opponent into thinking you're shooting the charge shot, but then after they release their shield you give them a zair > charge shot combo...

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I did it on a Link once. He though I didn't main Samus/Link(had a decent one back then) because it's obvious that Link's shield blocks projectiles 90% of the time. -1 self esteem :(

Throwback

Smash Lord
Lately I've been finding that dash attack (iDash attack or something?) is the secks. Great range, great speed, great ending frames, great setup. When your opponent starts expecting it, they play more cautious which is great for samus.

She's terrible, thats really all there is to it. There are also gaps in her Usmash too.

Samus is just diabolical beyond words of comparison.

Throwback

Smash Lord
Captain Obvous returns!

Seriously though, every smash player knows samus sucks by now. As the saying goes, you're preaching to the converted.

Ah but Throwback, you are seriously incorrect. There are still some among us that believe Samus has a chance of being tourny viable.

So SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

-Crews-

a Strawhat Pirate
Ah but Throwback, you are seriously incorrect. There are still some among us that believe Samus has a chance of being tourny viable.

So SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I believe Samus is tourny viable
Effin lolz.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, here are a few things that everyone knows already, but it's nice to still have a little reminder. Plus they aren't one the list yet.

- When you pick up or catch Rob's gyro, he cannot produce another one until the original gyro disappears. Doing this like halves Rob's projectile game. And keep in mind while holding the gyro it's still possible for Samus to use missiles and airdodge zair to rack up damage and space. Also smash up to get out of his dsmash.

- Yoshi cannot chain grab samus

- For a pretty proficient edge guard, DK can continuously use his up b to prevent opponents from grabbing the ledge by taking advantage of his up b's good priority ,the invincibility frames from the ledge, and the super armor frames from his up b. It's more dangerous than it sounds.

- Samus can glide toss banana to charge shot if the opponent doesn't tech it right away. It's actually one of my better methods for killing diddy.

- Smash up to get out of Pickachu's dsmash and Toon Link's grounded up b and up combined with right or left for Ivysaur's neutral b.

- And finally, I hate to be a crabby patty, but in a tournament setting, it's always best to have a good counterpick for MK. A good MK is just too dangerous for Samus to handle. But that's just common sense anyway.

All in all, like previously stated this is all common knowledge at this point in Brawl's current metagame but it is good to be reminded of it, that's all.

Karcist

Smash Journeyman
This thread was actually incredibly helpful. I really didn't know about holding up to get out of grabs faster (as well as a few other things), haha. What's the point of air release to zair though? That would do less damage than a throw and doesn't refresh attacks.

-Crews-

a Strawhat Pirate
What's the point of air release to zair though? That would do less damage than a throw and doesn't refresh attacks.
That's a good question. Especially when at lower percents, dthrow and fthrow can both lead to zair. It's only useful when the opponent's percent is too high to throw and combo but still, like you said, simply throwing would do more damage not to mention have more knockback in most cases.

-Crews-

a Strawhat Pirate
samus cannot air release wario
i would like to see this because ive played this game for 2+ years and ive seen no vids nor have i done it to a wario.
Now when you say that Samus can't air release Wario, is that because he absolutely must be on a slant or in the air or is it because Wario users have a certain way of DIing or altering the air release? The only reason I ask is because I was playing either a computer or a person's Wario and not only could I continuously air release Wario on flat ground, but I could also do the things posted on the first page. Whats up with that?

They will only air release if they are holding up. If Wario's feet are off the ground (on a slant, for example), he will air release automatically provided you don't pummel right when he escapes. So for example:

Grab on the slant on Lylat > Pummel > Release > Regrab > Make your way to the end of the stage > Dair

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Xyro you can keep saying it but it doesn't make it true.

I get the majority of my KOs on Warios by consistently air releasing him to utilt/fsmash/plasma shot. It's even on the video I put on youtube with the chaingrab!

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
There are a lot of spots you can grab wario on Yoshi's Island that will force an air release due to the way the level slants. But it seems like even then, it's pretty dependent on which way the platform is tilted on wether or not you'll get to react to it or not.

Edit: Just from the "knowledge is power" standpoint, it's extremely easy to force an air release on the tilted platform. Likely? I'm not so sure about.

Double Edit: Actually, for my own curiosity's sake I'm going through and making a list of all the places where you can grab wario and force an air release. I can post the findings here once I'm finished.

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
As I said, for science's sake, I made a list of all the places you can grab Wario that lift him off the ground to force an air release.
It's all pretty situational (and a lot of the spots will land him on a platform, though this still leaves time for utilts out of air release), but it might be nice to have in the back of your head in case you ever need it.
[If this needs to be moved anywhere, just let me know]

EDIT: Just to super clarify this is a list of places where Wario can be grabbed that lift him off the ground, thus forcing the air release.

Yoshi's Island
- (almost) anywhere grabbing Wario facing the middle of the stage
- tilted platform

Pictochat (Most of these are better done at low percentages due to how short stages are)
- roof of the house
- last two diagonals of the lines
- the swing (tricky--have to grab while it's swinging in the right direction to lift his feet off the ground)
- the umbrella (didn't get to test it because CPU wario is hard to place but it seems possible)
- singing man's hand
- down the percent sign
- angry eyes

Delfino Plaza
- certain traveling stage platforms (it's hard to explain, but one transformation has the two slanted platforms on either side, and the other has a platform then a platform over it, and the edges of the top platform slant down)
- The Beach
- any grab from any of the three flat parts of the rooftop stage
- grab from the stairs of the fountain stage
- the top of the shine arc outwards

Halbert
- either end of the traveling platform facing inward

Lylat Cruise
* depends on what way and at what angle the stage is tilted

Frigate Orpheon
- towards the dip in the second stage flip (enough time for utilt)
- in theory you can get lucky and grab as the right side of the first stage drops but that's not reliable

Castle Siege
- down the middle slope on Stage 1
- down the canopies on Stage 2
- any grab from the slightly raised part of Stage 3

Brinstar
- various places on the main floor (most of your grabs should lift him off the ground I believe)
- down either of the side platforms when the string is broken

Pokemon Stadium
FIRE STAGE
- off of the wood floor of the little hut in either direction
WATER STAGE
- from the right edge of the stage inward
FOREST STAGE
- from the edge of either raised patch towards the middle of the stage

Rainbow Cruise
- from the front of the boat inwards
- on the pendulum (in theory, probably swings too fast at higher percentages)
- down either side of the bump (when the screen moves right)
- down the slope (when the screen moves right)

Pokemon Stadium 2
EARTH STAGE
- dash grab down the slope on the left side of the screen
- from the middle of the bottom platform on the right side

Distant Planet
- the slope
- facing the left side of the bulborb (lol)
- any weighed down leaf (grabbing wario from the main platform)

Top Bottom