• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips on how to Sandbag like a Pro

X1-12

Smash Champion
"Sandbagging is the act of playing poorly on purpose."

I'm not claiming to be a superb player or anything, but when trying to get new players into melee I feel it necessary to sandbag them, quite heavily, yet I have trouble doing this convincingly. I already know one non-tourney casual player who thinks its no fun playing me because I'll beat him too hard. This sucks. How do I sandbag? Playing with one hand is too obvious. Any tips from pro sandbaggers? I am talking mainly about players who know either none, or maybe 1 or 2 easy ATs

Vts

Smash Champion
why would you sandbag on purpose

what a dooche
to help friend get better at something is only real reason.

cus if you **** him to much he just quits and says there is no way to beat it.

thats only reason why i sandbag lol.

its also time for me to try new terrible ideas.... very bad ideas

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
B only falcon you'll run up sheild and full hop falcon punch out of it. works amazingly. I've been playing falcon punch dittos for some time today.

how about you play as pichu or kirby ot ness they suck

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
only try when doing combos.

thats how i play for real, lololol

just round around and do ****, then when you get a hit, focus.

X1-12

Smash Champion
only try when doing combos.

thats how i play for real, lololol

just round around and do ****, then when you get a hit, focus.
is it not a bit unconvincing when they land 8 really lame un-sequential hits on you then you combo them to death in 3 seconds, then suddenly become crap again?

Jonas

Smash Champion
Space poorly, look at your own character and ignore your opponent's character, avoid punishing a lot of mistakes etc.

But really, the best way to train someone is to notice if they do a mistake repeatedly and then tell them and stuff like that.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
im not saying dont di, di'ing should be a reaction, not something you try. basically this

Space poorly, look at your own character and ignore your opponent's character, avoid punishing a lot of mistakes etc.

But really, the best way to train someone is to notice if they do a mistake repeatedly and then tell them and stuff like that.

only when you get that hit, ****.

im gonna try to upload a video of me vs a friend, i 4 and 3 stock him when i care @ all in marth dittoes, and ill show one match like that, then im gonna put up a vid of him winning one.

Animal

Smash Lord
do a dumb move repeatedly, try to be as funny as possible, try such insane mindgames that theres no chance it will work but if it does, epic.

Jimbo Slice

Smash Journeyman
Try to mindgame like the Interesting Cereal Gang. In your attempts you'll obviously fail, nobody mindgames like ICG, and sandbagging will ensue. Success.

qwaszx7410

Smash Rookie
I like to play as Link/Y. Link using only my feet and hookshot or play Falcon using only nairs and upB. That way they'll be able to live to decently high percentages if they have any recovery skills and I can still work on spacing and shuffling.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
depends on their level. if they're really bad, you have to be slow and boring and occasionally combo them really hard to remind them why they want to be good at the game. if they're learning stuff but can't really combo that well, etc, DI wrong or dont DI, tell them what they're doing wrong, and stuff to improve.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
end combos early and only punish them for the dumbest **** they make. intentionally miss attacks on purpose giving them a chance to punsih you but dont make it to obvious that youre doing it on purpose

S l o X

Smash Champion
do a dumb move repeatedly, try to be as funny as possible, try such insane mindgames that theres no chance it will work but if it does, epic.
i hate when this happens. it only happens to me when i'm destroying my brother and he just gives up so picks falco and spams it fsmash.

yo if someone does this to me and isn't my brother and isn't a friend i'm just unplugging my controller.

lol seriously. /rage

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Walk into some obvious stuff.
Do some obvious stuff and see if he avoids them and then point out "man you shouldnt just walk in like that!"

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
When i sandbag i like to kill with moves that don't really have enough knockback to do it. Like once i found out that jigglypuff dies off the top of FD from marth's dair around 212%. Also, sometimes it can be fun to kill people with nothing but fairs and jabs. Once i get that done and still 2-3 stock them, i move on to some other character.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Sandbagging should only be done for a little bit, and, like people have said, taking out ATs is a good way; don't SHFFL, don't L-cancel at all, actually; don't wavedash, etc. - play like when you first started playing Smash (if you played before learning competitive ATs) and go from there. Since you're sandbagging anyways, slow it down to make sure you're not going too advanced.

^ this as well

To help them improve, I think you should just focus on punishing the exact same mistake over and over and only that one while making the same mistake over and over and leaving little/no openings on other moves. Punishing is ultimately what the game comes down to, and you could start teaching your friend like that.

Not that I'm a pro or anything, but my $0.02. P:

CTL17

Smash Lord
If someone rolls way too much, play Jigglypuff, stand one roll's distance away, wait for the roll, rest. That's how I get all of my friends to stop rolling.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I sandbag by picking fox and doing technical stuff with complete disregard for spacing and mixups, so I end up jumping into a lot of things and being really predictable. It's convincing on scrubs, and half the time I'll still win.

EDIT: of course then when the scrub still keeps coming close to winning or potentially winning and says "all that tech skill is pointless it doesn't actually help you," you just 4-stock them and say "I was totally trolling you that whole time."

Also, I remember at a local game store melee tournament where no one else there was good at all, which I noticed from watching friendlies beforehand, there were seeding rounds to make the tournament last longer since not many people showed up. I picked captain falcon and used nothing but punch and kick for the seeding rounds. Still won some of them somehow... <_<

SmasherLink

Smash Apprentice
Ganondorf is a great character to use, due to powerful attacks and his meteor smash, then use his warlock punch, or HRB (Home-Run Bat).

SpiderBubble

Smash Cadet
Don't be a Falcon main. Play Falcon. Always go for the spikes that you know you can't recover from and kill yourself after you do so.

Always kill with spikes. Always.

Play Pichu.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
If they wont play against you because you are good and have put time into this game.

F*** em!

dont need no punk *** *****es. Melee isnt the game for them if they cant take an *** whooping. Its been out for too long and has a pretty high learning curve. Ppl like that probably just wont make it in this scene.

Top Bottom