• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips vs MetaKnight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
You people have been brainwashed.

Snake goes even with or beats MK, and plenty of characters have really close matchups with MK. It is essentially the same as Sheik in Melee (she is extremely underrated) where her worst matchups are spacies and ICs and she goes about even with both of them, except sheik ***** the rest of the cast more than MK ***** the rest of the cast.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
This guy acts like he's the best MK player around. Who da fack does he think he is??
ummmmm...LOL

he
IS
the best MK player around...

edit:

Snake goes even with or beats MK, and plenty of characters have really close matchups with MK. It is essentially the same as Sheik in Melee (she is extremely underrated) where her worst matchups are spacies and ICs and she goes about even with both of them, except sheik ***** the rest of the cast more than MK ***** the rest of the cast.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5539513#post5539513
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5539526#post5539526

these are the 2 threads on BOTH boards, in which they BOTH agree on MK vs snake is neutral.

Fino

Smash Master
Had this been posted before HOBO, this would shutdown EVERY Mk ban thing, unfortunately so many people are on top of this now :(.
I really don't think we should even think of a ban until 1 if not 2 years of complete MK dominance.

~Fino

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Hobo was me as MK, and that's just because I was really good at melee and they are the same type of game. Azen is Azen and does better with the vast majority of people with Lucario than MK, he only did better with MK vs Lee, but he does better with Lucario vs the majority of top MKs, such as me, InfernoOmni, Plank, Forte, Stiltz, and I've seen him **** other MKs really badly too w/ Lucario, more than MK dittos on average. He used like 6 characters in tourney anyway. Dojo the best MK in TX got 9th and lost both games to Roy R's Marth, and Lee beat Hylian by fluke. I know the details cuz I was actually at the tourney.

Fast1, despite having many good MKs, got dominated by mostly snakes, such as Cort, HrNut, Afro Thunder, and someone else I think. I was the only MK that placed high (got 1st) but I had to switch to DDD either THREE OR FOUR TIMES because my MK lost one game (granted I was slightly worse then but it doesn't really make much of a difference). MK is probably the best character overall, but he is overrated because people brainwash other people w/ biased info without telling all the details.

I mained MK because of Forte anyway, then copied some stuff Azen does, DSF copied stuff I do, me and InfernoOmni (and me and plank, and me and spam) among other people talked on aim to share some MK tricks, easily evolving his character way too fast. No other character has been evolved that fast. It is probably MUCH MUCH closer than people think.

GTG now class time

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Had this been posted before HOBO, this would shutdown EVERY Mk ban thing, unfortunately so many people are on top of this now :(.
I really don't think we should even think of a ban until 1 if not 2 years of complete MK dominance.

~Fino
How so?

Personally I thought a lot of this stuff was just common sense, though I can see how it would be helpful to the players newer to the scene.

M2K you mentioned some things that would have to be predicted to punish. An example.. You said if MK dashs to shield just grab him, ok sure. But he would have to do that repeatedly for a player to catch on because as you know MK has a ton of options to do from a dash.

MK's dtilt is a trap in itself. MK can punish any option that the player does if MK spaces it properly. Rolling away is probably the safest option yeah, but MK can either dash attack, dash grab, or simply reset his zoning and walk to another spaced dtilt. The situation is then reset and the opponent continues to lose stage positioning. It's not really punishable unless you predict it and do a SH fair or something.

All i'm saying is I don't see how this would help much against the people wanting him banned. I think they already took all of these things into consideration. It doesn't change the fact that MK is simply a better character with better tools compared to everyone in the game. These are just random tips that most people should already know about, though reading some of the responses I guess I was wrong.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
steel2nd what kind of logic is that.

or should i say... it's too much logic. it's way too theoretical and there is space for human error across the board

"reset" just means both players have options. just because mk has better ones doesn't mean he will always choose the right ones. and even if he does, there are still ways to counter those "correct" options.

then it becomes a game of prediction, manipulation, does it not? any character can do that lol

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
How else do you discuss something if it isn't in theory?

When I say "reset the situation" I mean MK can easily walk to Dtilt and put his opponent in the same exact bad position he was in before, further applying pressure.

Though if I say meta has much better pokes than pretty much the entire cast, that isn't theory.. that's fact.

ftl

Smash Journeyman
MK being banned is up to the SBR and not us, anyway. Out here, it's basically an authority contest -

M2K says that MK is not broken and just had his metagame advance faster than the other characters, and Snake should beat MK if played right, and that Sheik dominated Melee far more than MK is dominating brawl, in terms of matchups.

OS says that MK is broken enough that his worst matchup is a ditto, everything else is noticeably in his favor (some ****, and some just an advantage), and if something isn't done then tournaments will soon devolve into MK-MK dittos.

And I've got no idea who to believe. Ah well, that's why there's an SBR, hopefully you guys can come to a consensus.

Koga

Smash Journeyman
:laugh:

:laugh: Wow go M2k way lay the smack down.

we really should listen to this man. he's the best player around and has more valid (high level i might add) play expirience than just about anyone else who would bother posting here. Don't argue with this guy. he really does know what he's talking about regardless of what the character boards say.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Other characters CAN beat him, but with an uphill battle in every case, unless the particular MK you're playing happens to not know the matchup. Why bother, aside from stubbornness? Play as MK yourself and you're at even footing.?
If you're going to go strictly by matchups then why would you even play as Link or any character that's a tier below high?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
:laugh:

:laugh: Wow go M2k way lay the smack down.

we really should listen to this man. he's the best player around and has more valid (high level i might add) play expirience than just about anyone else who would bother posting here. Don't argue with this guy. he really does know what he's talking about regardless of what the character boards say.
Seriously. I always considered better players more of an authority. I'd much rather listen to Mew2king than listen to Overswarm or Yuna or whatever just because they post their views a lot.

Smady

Smash Master
Thanks for the tips. Metaknight is a worthy character, who I don't like to use but detest playing against.

Uffe

Smash Hero
This is a great topic and all, but it's more about experience that's going to help you against a good Meta Knight player. What I mean is is that you can read things and think you're going to do better. But in the long run a good read such as this will not exactly save you when you fight MK. You need personal experience fighting the character. This is about as good as watching videos.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
Seriously. I always considered better players more of an authority. I'd much rather listen to Mew2king than listen to Overswarm or Yuna or whatever just because they post their views a lot.

LOLLLLL at you comparing Yuna to Overswarm....

Lust34

Smash Rookie
best 1st post ever

lol thank you =)

If you're going to go strictly by matchups then why would you even play as Link or any character that's a tier below high?
i remember seeing a video of this guy Deva i think his name was he uses link and hes beating metaknights and link imo is probably the easiest to gimp with metaknight (lol) but like i said before you just have to know how to play against him work on it find your own way around the "brokeness" (lol not a real word XD)

VietGeek

Smash Hero
There are many things to do to make fighting MK easier. Here are some basic tips, although many of this is common knowledge, if any of this isn't here's some stuff that could help you:

Tornado. The top/center of the Tornado is the weak point. If say... DeDeDe jumps above MK and does a falling Bair, it will hit through (of course, if MK makes sure to be horizontal to MK so as that DDD only hits the side of the tornado, the Tornado will win, but most of the time jumping over it and faling on it with Bair is good, at least with DDD. Many moves beat Tornado (most moves in a MK ditto actually), although I don't know the specifics for each one, I'm pretty sure someone was making a list for that somewhere.
Alright, either tornado is so ****ed up no one can truly understand it, or Toon Link is a piece of trash. But I've had the pleasurably experience of using TL vs MK. I knew the top was the weak point so I would DI up and then try to Dair the tornado chasing me. Dair has two hitboxes, the initial meteor and the one where you sort of bounce with the foe.

Both hit MK IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TORNADO/his stupid head. But the tornado wasn't negated and I eventually got sucked in and took damage? Ulevo's anti-tornado thread says Dair works and says the upper part is weak, yet I plowed through the top twice with two pretty strong hitboxes and no crap happened. I still got punished. Care to explain M2K?

Because I'm seriously still bothered by that even though it happened a month ago.

Staying directly above MK will make the odds fairly high that the shuttle loop hits you really weak with the top part of it, sending you almost nowhere, allowing you to land safely. A common way around shuttle loop is to predict it with air dodging which makes a missed shuttle loop easily punished by something like a Wario F smash or slightly charged down smash for example (or staying out of range of it then getting to the edge), but once you do that it starts to become predictible then MK can easily Dair or Nair you after your air dodge lag. Other options are doing an aerial attack that can hit through it or trade (while also holding toward the stage so your DI isn't bad), or mashing double jump dairs (with MK and DDD doing a lot of double jump dairs is a good anti-shuttle loop. Remember that shuttle loop is weak damage wise (8% in air) and it's main purpose is to gimp you without DIing it. If you remember to DI it, while doing a guessing game between aerials or air dodging while making sure to DI towards the stage at all times, you shouldn't get ***** by it too badly. It's purpose is to put you in a bad position, and it's actual priority is really low.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aerials vs. aerials don't have priority other each other, meaning you'll usually trade hits or whiff. This means you only havw a small time frame to punish Shuttle Loop since otherwise you'll just trade hits with glide attack which is bad.

Also, how on Earth will Wario or anyone be able to do a grounded punish on the glide attack after the initial Shuttle Loop? Most of the time you'll eat glide attack, or MK can glide cancel to shield and punish you again. The number of options MK has is more numerous than what most other characters can do against him.

Most Metaknights will down smash twice in a row (even though that's actually not a good idea the vast majority of the time), and between the first down smash and the 2nd there is usually plenty of time to release your shield and counterattack.
Unless you shield cancel via jump, releasing your shield takes about 7 frames, which will either get you hit by the other Dsmash or leave you in a neutral situation that doesn't really do anything. Also the shield stun is pretty decent so most characters can't jump cancel shield to an aerial to punish anyway.

If MK does get you a little into the air, most MKs will do 1 of 2 things

1) follow up right away (most of the time the beginner/intermediate MKs do this
2) try to punish your small air dodge landing lag, assuming you will air dodge

If you expect 1, you can simply air dodge right away, then have the advantage in position
If you expect 2, you can either do an aerial attack (like a Fair) while they stand there and just get hit, or you can just double jump away. (varying your fast falls at the last second can also make it harder to time, since landing lag is only 2 frames but most attacks are out for at least 2 frames). I also recommend double jumping away while DIing in 1 direction constantly is the best way to make sure not to get 0-30d from MK's Uairs.
The problem with this is that most people probably have common sense to do both. Or, bait an airdodge from you and use multi-hit attacks like Fair so you get hit after your airdodge ends. Once you're in the air, VERY few characters have convention, safe ways to deal with MK's aerial pressuring.

I feel like MK has no advantage when he down throws you unless it's at the edge.
Eh, if you don't DI or DI up, he can Shuttle Loop or Uair you. If you DI away, he can tech chase or dash attack/hyphen smash you or wait out your airdodge. He has a positional advantage, and it does a lot of damage too.

A lot of this is indeed random tips for several characters, and it only gives out options for a few select characters (namely Snake, D3, GW, and some Marth). These aren't quite *most* characters. Some characters have almost no options to punish MK's assortment of tools. Grabted most people use top tiers competitively anyway, but we can't realistically say that's most of the characters.

Most of this is also very situational and spotty in terms of risk-reward factors (for the defending character). MK has TONS of options, so it's difficult to use some of these tips realistically at all. I know you're trying to help, but a lot of this is too spotty to take to heart.

Really, I feel as if this is tips against MK if you're another MK/Snake/GW/D3. Most characters don't have it as lucky as them in terms of safe tactics to pull.

Master Raven

Smash Master
i remember seeing a video of this guy Deva i think his name was he uses link and hes beating metaknights and link imo is probably the easiest to gimp with metaknight (lol) but like i said before you just have to know how to play against him work on it find your own way around the "brokeness" (lol not a real word XD)
I saw that vid. I don't doubt a Link can beat an MK but honestly I think DSF was just playing really dumb in that match, at least from what I can remember.

Oh and perhaps I should've worded my last post different. If you go strictly by matchups then why don't you just main random box and basically counterpick your way through the whole set? >_>

Lust34

Smash Rookie
I saw that vid. I don't doubt a Link can beat an MK but honestly I think DSF was just playing really dumb in that match, at least from what I can remember.

Oh and perhaps I should've worded my last post different. If you go strictly by matchups then why don't you just main random box and basically counterpick your way through the whole set? >_>
lololol

well if you main random then you havent really tried to gain the peak skill with any character to play bad matchups. i understand where your coming from but chances are someone out there has worked on playing bad matches so even if you counter pick it wont benefit you as much as you think

Gea

Smash Master
Really, I feel as if this is tips against MK if you're another MK/Snake/GW/D3. Most characters don't have it as lucky as them in terms of safe tactics to pull.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but as long as other characters do have these options, that's what matters. How many options did a large majority of characters in Melee have vs the top?

While I can't say I agree with all of the strats being effective all of the time, I agree with M2K 100% on everything else. I too was at HOBO. Meta was not utterly dominating. We had a really good Wario and Marth ripping through people too.

The more a character is played, the easier it will be to know the matchups. Most metas will not know how to fight a large majority of the cast.

Meta/Peach isn't that bad for me as a Peach player. I can really abuse so many bad habits metas have (like shield -> spotdodge -> dsmash gets ***** by my floating and dairs). I can shield pressure meta and kill him with ftilt on FD at like 120%. Ftilt is not a slow move and if you just wait and keep it fresh, Metas don't expect it.

Its just learning. If anything I think a campy Snake can shut down more characters than Metaknight and force you to pick up a character that basically goes even with Snake to cope with him.

But there's alot less REALLY good Snakes out there right now.

Koga

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to burst your bubble, but as long as other characters do have these options, that's what matters. How many options did a large majority of characters in Melee have vs the top?

While I can't say I agree with all of the strats being effective all of the time, I agree with M2K 100% on everything else. I too was at HOBO. Meta was not utterly dominating. We had a really good Wario and Marth ripping through people too.

The more a character is played, the easier it will be to know the matchups. Most metas will not know how to fight a large majority of the cast.

Meta/Peach isn't that bad for me as a Peach player. I can really abuse so many bad habits metas have (like shield -> spotdodge -> dsmash gets ***** by my floating and dairs). I can shield pressure meta and kill him with ftilt on FD at like 120%. Ftilt is not a slow move and if you just wait and keep it fresh, Metas don't expect it.

Its just learning. If anything I think a campy Snake can shut down more characters than Metaknight and force you to pick up a character that basically goes even with Snake to cope with him.

But there's alot less REALLY good Snakes out there right now.
Me too, i think a snake that knows the timing on most of his opponents moves can really hurt people in a way they can deal with more than MK. even if you grab him, you'll still eat some cooked grenades and snake will willingily take that damage to the face if it means more damage on you cause then ftilt/utilt/jab combo= dead opponent much more consistenly than Gimping.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Alright, either tornado is so ****ed up no one can truly understand it, or Toon Link is a piece of trash. But I've had the pleasurably experience of using TL vs MK. I knew the top was the weak point so I would DI up and then try to Dair the tornado chasing me. Dair has two hitboxes, the initial meteor and the one where you sort of bounce with the foe.

Both hit MK IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TORNADO/his stupid head. But the tornado wasn't negated and I eventually got sucked in and took damage? Ulevo's anti-tornado thread says Dair works and says the upper part is weak, yet I plowed through the top twice with two pretty strong hitboxes and no crap happened. I still got punished. Care to explain M2K?

Because I'm seriously still bothered by that even though it happened a month ago.

I don't know, I just know the vast majority of Dairs beats Tornado, or a bair falling from above. I know this from personal experience, ask Dojo or Santi stuff about that, I only play a few characters (unlike Melee where I play almost all of them). Every time I do it it hits through tornado, but some moves are weird like Marths aerials often lose to tornado but occasionally win, but in MK Dittos most sword moves beat Tornado. Tornado beats shuttle loop and glide attack (unless its a really high hitting glide attack) but loses to weak regular moves, but shuttle loop beats almost every other move, while glide attack has about the same priority as F smash 1 on 1, but loses to random other moves. This game is weird and you will have to just learn from your own experiences.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aerials vs. aerials don't have priority other each other, meaning you'll usually trade hits or whiff. This means you only havw a small time frame to punish Shuttle Loop since otherwise you'll just trade hits with glide attack which is bad.

Also, how on Earth will Wario or anyone be able to do a grounded punish on the glide attack after the initial Shuttle Loop? Most of the time you'll eat glide attack, or MK can glide cancel to shield and punish you again. The number of options MK has is more numerous than what most other characters can do against him.

1) the priority is so low on the shuttle loop that most of the time in my experience the shuttle loop loses. I am basing this off of DDD Snake MK and GW experience. I hardly use other characters, so don't ask me about other characters. I am saying what I know so people will be better at it. Many moves last for a long time so it isn't really hard at all. In fact, I can hardly ever Shuttle Loop Azen because he always Dairs me with Lucario, so now I have to follow way under him and do a lot of guessing and stay to the side and try to do fairs and super spaced uairs.

2) I don't use Wario, but there's many things you can do. If you don't want to do a Fair, you can just do a Forward smash. Every time I try to Glide attack Azen, he just forward smashes me and the trade is definitely not in my favor (especially considering the %s that each of us die at). Fart is also invincible. I 3 stocked Plank in a MK ditto at esticle, only to lose to his wario the next game because every time I was at 70% and I came at him with a fair, he would just F smash me or fart to kill me. I know better now, but superarmor frames are broken.

3) I know that GW and MK can easily Fair/Bair another MK after blocking the rising part, while DDD can easily Bair it.

Unless you shield cancel via jump, releasing your shield takes about 7 frames, which will either get you hit by the other Dsmash or leave you in a neutral situation that doesn't really do anything. Also the shield stun is pretty decent so most characters can't jump cancel shield to an aerial to punish anyway.

lol how do you know it's 7 frames, I doubt that, most people's methods of frame testing compared to mine is completely wrong, although I could eventually test it (I will probably forget though) maybe, it would be hard but you can't just try to use frames like that. I know that in a MK ditto if one MK down smashes then the other has time to easily retaliate. If Snake blocks MKs down smash he has time to F tilt easily. Snake's F tilt also outranges MKs down smash by a decently good amount.

The problem with this is that most people probably have common sense to do both. Or, bait an airdodge from you and use multi-hit attacks like Fair so you get hit after your airdodge ends. Once you're in the air, VERY few characters have convention, safe ways to deal with MK's aerial pressuring.

When I was playing Neo, waiting for air dodges, he would just tipper Fair me, while at other times he would just bait a shuttle loop and I'd get punished for it. I would take more damage than I would give a lot of the time when I got greedy for shuttle loops, since it only does 8 damage, and if you DI it you're fine. Azen often air dodges backwards and lands in a clever, unpredictible but safe way. These guys get down often when they are playing good/smart, but most people don't. You don't HAVE To be generic and just fall into them and be predictible, most characters have clever options to get down.

Look at this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4GPYZkZ5lU&feature=related
at 2:20 - 2:25, it's pretty obvious when Fox is going to attack, so you have to do what you know they are going to do. You don't have to explain everything in text, a lot of the times you can just be creative and do whatever you think would make you get down. GW's game of keeping you in the air is MUCH better and gayer than MK's is.

Eh, if you don't DI or DI up, he can Shuttle Loop or Uair you. If you DI away, he can tech chase or dash attack/hyphen smash you or wait out your airdodge. He has a positional advantage, and it does a lot of damage too.

tech chase? lol. Snake can also punish landing lag with a dash attack, except his does 11% instead of 8 (and has MUCH more priority), might hit them with a grenade or make them predictibly air dodge so you can punish them after it. Almost every character has positional advantage with good timing when you are under them, it's just MK is the only one talked about ever. You are thinking too much in theory, no human can react to everything perfectly and always cover every option doing little damage at a time to guarantee death, or you would be seeing Fox's 0-death you after 1 drill in melee, but we only see like... pc and mofo do that once in friendlies? Tourney isn't that theoretical.

A lot of this is indeed random tips for several characters, and it only gives out options for a few select characters (namely Snake, D3, GW, and some Marth). These aren't quite *most* characters. Some characters have almost no options to punish MK's assortment of tools. Grabted most people use top tiers competitively anyway, but we can't realistically say that's most of the characters.

so? I named a lot of common characters and told you things I know on experience. You can't possibly write a matchup guide on every character, especially since I only use a few of them (if the game was fun enough like Melee I would use way more but that isn't the case sadly). Welcome to fighting games, some characters aren't supposed to beat other characters , like ganon vs ddd? The lesser characters aren't even explored much at ALL by comparison, which makes people think the gap is much bigger than it actually is.

Most of this is also very situational and spotty in terms of risk-reward factors (for the defending character). MK has TONS of options, so it's difficult to use some of these tips realistically at all. I know you're trying to help, but a lot of this is too spotty to take to heart.

It's called DI, there is minimal risk/reward if you don't let yourself get gimped like a no-DI noob. Every top character in Melee (sheik fox marth) and even jiggs too had really ******** gimps, but those were much harder to avoid because of the physics engine, instead of the EXTREME-DI in this game. If you DI MK's dair well, it almost resets your position with just 8 more damage. If you don't want to take my advice then don't, but this stuff is all true as far as my experiences go. If you don't want to trust mine then use your own, I'm a really good player but I'm not answer-everything-god. People give up too fast, smart people like Azen or dedicated players like <insert many> in melee figure out stuff often all the time.

they are for the most part, but many CONCEPTS can be carried. This is the same reason I'm good at brawl; because I was good at melee.

M@v

Subarashii!
Most nairs from the top beat tornado too. ITs the best thing fox has for dealing with it. Btw great posting m2k. People should really actually TRY strategies and other options, and not be lazy and just say ban MK. He isnt a god. Hes basically a melee sheik with better recovery.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
A good read but a couple problems I have...

There are many things to do to make fighting MK easier. Here are some basic tips, although many of this is common knowledge, if any of this isn't here's some stuff that could help you:

Tornado. The top/center of the Tornado is the weak point. If say... DeDeDe jumps above MK and does a falling Bair, it will hit through (of course, if MK makes sure to be horizontal to MK so as that DDD only hits the side of the tornado, the Tornado will win, but most of the time jumping over it and faling on it with Bair is good, at least with DDD. Many moves beat Tornado (most moves in a MK ditto actually), although I don't know the specifics for each one, I'm pretty sure someone was making a list for that somewhere.

theres not that many times your going to find yourself above the center of the tornado. Most short hops arent high enough and full jumping way above your opponent all the time isnt going to get you anywhere. I guess you have to see it coming or predict it? That requires some pretty hard prediction skills.

You can block Tornado and angle your shield up and be practically invulnerable to tornado the entire time, and then dash grab MK in his lag (with some characters, but most of them can retaliate just fine). Angling your shield up prevents MK from shield stabbing you when he aims it high at your head.

Wearing down your shield is always dangerous and for characters with slow ground speed MK can usually just move back away from them far enough so that you don't have time to grab him in lag,

Lastly, and this is very useful, the BEGINNING of Tornado seems to POP PEOPLE UP a lot, so MANY characters (even semi-big ones like Rob) can just DI (or smash DI, which is pushing up really fast as you get hit basically) can just repeatedly hit up on the control stick really fast and escape the Tornado (even semi-big characters like Rob can do this really well). Another MK, or a Game and Watch, (among other characters I probably am not thinking about) can counterattack with a Dair, while most of the characters can simply DI up and try to double jump away (often footstool jumping away). Bowser, DDD, and DK seem to get ***** by Tornado the hardest, so this sometimes helps for them, but not as well as the majority of the characters.
ok, no problems here well said

So keep those things in mind: Smash DI up (repeatedly if necessary, although only 1 good one is needed obviously), especially at the beginning of the Tornado. If you see a Tornado coming, just block it (and if necessary, angle your shield up) and you can often counterattack with most characters, and if you predict a Tornado just either stay above MK or prepare for a move that will go through it.

Shuttle Loop. The thing about shuttle loop (an aerial shuttle loop) is that it gimps (a gimp is a low % kill) really well if you don't DI it ....... but increases ONLY SLIGHTLY with % compared to other moves. Basically what this means is, if you make sure to DI it, you will still live to really high %s. I make sure to be holding toward the stage always, so that my DI is at least "decent" and I won't really be "gimped" by it. I also try to stay directly above MK, and sometimes do a falling aerial (Snake Bair, DDD DJ [double jump] Dair, MK DJ Dairs, Lucario's Dair ***** it).

Staying directly above MK will make the odds fairly high that the shuttle loop hits you really weak with the top part of it, sending you almost nowhere, allowing you to land safely. A common way around shuttle loop is to predict it with air dodging which makes a missed shuttle loop easily punished by something like a Wario F smash or slightly charged down smash for example (or staying out of range of it then getting to the edge), but once you do that it starts to become predictible then MK can easily Dair or Nair you after your air dodge lag. Other options are doing an aerial attack that can hit through it or trade (while also holding toward the stage so your DI isn't bad), or mashing double jump dairs (with MK and DDD doing a lot of double jump dairs is a good anti-shuttle loop. Remember that shuttle loop is weak damage wise (8% in air) and it's main purpose is to gimp you without DIing it. If you remember to DI it, while doing a guessing game between aerials or air dodging while making sure to DI towards the stage at all times, you shouldn't get ***** by it too badly. It's purpose is to put you in a bad position, and it's actual priority is really low.

If MK is below you and tries to shuttle loop at the EDGE, you can block the first part and then do either a shield hop fair or bair (depending which way you are facing) or even drop under him and uair/nair. This also counts for a grounded shuttle loop, as if you block the initial rising shuttle loop he is basically saying HIT ME WITH WHATEVER YOU WANT as he glides above you and leaves himself vulnerable to things such as GW's Nair or Uair -> Up smash.
What about the shuttle loop, glide attack to downsmash approach? Theres so little lag you basically have no choice but to just get out of the way; which will never win you a match.

Spot dodge=you get downsmashed
Attack= you get outprioritized
Airdodge= by the time you land you'll probably get hit with a 2nd dsmash or MK can simply move away

Down tilt seems to trip like... 1/3 times? Vidjo said it trips more when it's spaced or hits their feet, and this seems to be true, although it could also be coincidence. It is a defensive move, and usually when I see MKs try to do that to me I roll backwards or try to shield grab (as DDD you can shield grab MK's down tilt since he is leaning over, although I don't know how well this works for the other characters). Rolling backwards is always safe, and since MK's down tilt may or may not trip you, they will usually try to follow up anyway (with like a dash grab or something) so you can immediately counterattack them since you can expect it. The primary purpose is to trip them, and since most people follow up after the first down tilt (either down tilt -> dash grab or down tilt -> down smash), often a good option is to just dodge right away then react to what they do and punish the lag they would have.

when your only option is to "roll backwards or pick DDD" thats not too great...Anything else we can come up with here? Obviously projectiles but what else, like what if you need a KO?

If MK does get you a little into the air, most MKs will do 1 of 2 things

1) follow up right away (most of the time the beginner/intermediate MKs do this
2) try to punish your small air dodge landing lag, assuming you will air dodge

Projectiles (GOOD projectiles) are good against MK since he has none and needs to approach you (although he can easily get to you,the reason is cuz being offensive is easier to throw him off, and it is harder for him to camp you if he attempts to). Once MK gets used to you running away and spamming projectiles, he is going to run at you. Once he does this, dash grab him. If Snake is fighting MK, you can grenade camp and then F tilt MK when he runs at you. When MK gets used to that he will eventually start to run and shield, so expect it and dash grab him (into down throw, which is a 50/50 chance of a tilt, or even a tech chase Dair if needed).

im willing to bet if MK runs at you and you run at him to dashgrab you will get a face full of dashattack or SHaerial. Remember metaknights amazing priority? Is dashgrab really going to go through it. Dash grabbing an apporaching MK will take quite the timing assuming he is throwing in attacks and not just running at you like an idiot.

Yes projectiles are good, but projectiles (at least most) arent going to KO!

it's hard to edge guard MK safely, but if you're at really high % already then it's not as bad to go for risky things. Just try to beat MK by %age though, center stage especially.

Theres really no option to edgeguard MK. Might as well have left this out... it kinda says " Well why not try to Ganon Dair him if your down two stocks anyway"

You can also edge hog MK's up B at the last second to kill him if he is really low when he does it (but they will try to up B you just before then, so you might wanna approach the edge then shield, so that you block the predictible coming up B). On smashville and battlefield MK can fly under it quickly, but on most stages he can't do it [very well]. (If he could you could just run to the other ledge and edge hog it, but I don't know if I've ever even had to do that before). I like invincible-aerial attacks vs MK from the ledge, at least in MK dittos it's good (invincible Nair).

please dont talk about how to USE metaknight to beat metaknight.

Most MKs down smash after glide attack, so if you are worried that you can't punish after glide attack, just wait until just after the probably-going-to-happen down smash.

Shield stun pushes me too far away to grab, downshash is probably done fast enough to deal with whatever else.

So yeah, those are some random tips I thought of maybe could help you people, but it mostly comes down to fighting MK center stage, use my Tornado tips, and have good DI.

Well anyway most of it was good, trying to help make the community more competitive is always a good thing so thanks for the post

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Thanks M2K...

Now all the Meta Knights that weren't as good before will expect these things and counter with smarter approaches.

Way to go, ya jerk.[/sarcasm?]

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
Jason you think just because YOU put time into Metaknight he shouldn't be banned? Just because you main him, you think that makes him less broken? You only made this post for yourself LOL. If you cared about the community as much as you pretend to you wouldn't be saying dumb **** like "it isn't fair." MK isn't ****ing fair to anybody.

You posted some tips, decent at best. But really they're just options that a good metaknight is most likely already aware of.

Do these tips stop Azen from ****** your DDD with MK? Nah, probably not.

Do these tips help anyone vs an experienced and patient MK? Unlikely.

MK is dominant because of his limitless options, and most of the things you posted, a GOOD MK (there are very few) will be aware of them. And the scrubby MK's that still win because they're MK (Inui) get to leech off of your knowledge.

ADHD

Smash Hero
metaknight should still be banned, and tips against him don't make a character any less better than he is

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
Hobo was me as MK, and that's just because I was really good at melee and they are the same type of game. Azen is Azen and does better with the vast majority of people with Lucario than MK, he only did better with MK vs Lee, but he does better with Lucario vs the majority of top MKs, such as me, InfernoOmni, Plank, Forte, Stiltz, and I've seen him **** other MKs really badly too w/ Lucario, more than MK dittos on average. He used like 6 characters in tourney anyway. Dojo the best MK in TX got 9th and lost both games to Roy R's Marth, and Lee beat Hylian by fluke. I know the details cuz I was actually at the tourney.

Fast1, despite having many good MKs, got dominated by mostly snakes, such as Cort, HrNut, Afro Thunder, and someone else I think. I was the only MK that placed high (got 1st) but I had to switch to DDD either THREE OR FOUR TIMES because my MK lost one game (granted I was slightly worse then but it doesn't really make much of a difference). MK is probably the best character overall, but he is overrated because people brainwash other people w/ biased info without telling all the details.

I mained MK because of Forte anyway, then copied some stuff Azen does, DSF copied stuff I do, me and InfernoOmni (and me and plank, and me and spam) among other people talked on aim to share some MK tricks, easily evolving his character way too fast. No other character has been evolved that fast. It is probably MUCH MUCH closer than people think.

GTG now class time

wow @ this post

such arrogance

are you really that delusional jason? you honestly think MK's dominance is due to you and others "evolving the character." We understand you like to win and be the best, and as of lately we understand you really like money.

This doesn't excuse being ridiculous though and that's really all I've seen from you.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Jason you think just because YOU put time into Metaknight he shouldn't be banned? Just because you main him, you think that makes him less broken? You only made this post for yourself LOL. If you cared about the community as much as you pretend to you wouldn't be saying dumb **** like "it isn't fair." MK isn't ****ing fair to anybody.

You posted some tips, decent at best. But really they're just options that a good metaknight is most likely already aware of.

Do these tips stop Azen from ****** your DDD with MK? Nah, probably not.

Do these tips help anyone vs an experienced and patient MK? Unlikely.

MK is dominant because of his limitless options, and most of the things you posted, a GOOD MK (there are very few) will be aware of them. And the scrubby MK's that still win because they're MK (Inui) get to leech off of your knowledge.
This post does bring up a good point. This thread could help people against inexperienced Metaknights but what about at the higher levels where Metaknight is running away with wins? Also, M2K, in the first post, you point out the biggest mistakes that Metaknight players usually make but couldn't presenting this info simply make it that much easier for them to patch up these bad habits and cause Metaknight to do even better? With that being said, I think this advice could be very helpful initially but then it would become a hinderance because Metaknight players would quickly find a way to stay dominately on top.

Like I said in my first post, I believe it's great advice but, at the same time, I completely understand what people like Neo and Chromepirate are getting at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom