• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad parade - Oh boy it's Els--- I mean, Rosalina

What do you think will happen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Is Toad really one of the options, or is it the same toads that were in the previous game. Because neither or those were toad

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Is Toad really one of the options, or is it the same toads that were in the previous game. Because neither or those were toad
It's still the blue and yellow palette swaps of Toad that are playable in the game; however, that really makes little difference as either way as it all adds up to the importance of the Toad species (in which Toad himself represents). As long as it isn't a distinguished Toad (like Toadsworth or Toadette), it all pretty much benefits Toad himself as he is the most recognizable member of the Toad species (just like the Yoshis from Yoshi's Island for Yoshi's overall importance).

Either way, Toad will very likely get the Blue and Yellow Toads as his blue and yellow alternate costumes if he was to make it into SSB4 (triple the win!). :awesome:

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
Reading this thread got me thinking, Toad has been a host for many of the spin-off games, so what if he'd have a complete moveset based around popular Mario Party minigames, a kart and weapons from Mario Kart and his melee moves using stuff from all the Mario sports games. These types of games represent a big chunk of the Mario franchise yet have really been underrepresented in Smash. Considering Toad is a wee lad that isn't very suitable for hand-to-hand fighting, he could be the ideal character to do so.
I am aware that Peach sometimes uses a golfclub and tennis racket in her forward smash, but that could be changed to just the frying pan to give Toad some more weapons.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Reading this thread got me thinking, Toad has been a host for many of the spin-off games, so what if he'd have a complete moveset based around popular Mario Party minigames, a kart and weapons from Mario Kart and his melee moves using stuff from all the Mario sports games. These types of games represent a big chunk of the Mario franchise yet have really been underrepresented in Smash. Considering Toad is a wee lad that isn't very suitable for hand-to-hand fighting, he could be the ideal character to do so.
I am aware that Peach sometimes uses a golfclub and tennis racket in her forward smash, but that could be changed to just the frying pan to give Toad some more weapons.
it would be pretty cool if his up smash was him hitting a mario party dice

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
it would be pretty cool if his up smash was him hitting a mario party dice
I was also thinking of his downsmash being one of those fake ? boxes from Mario Kart. In the air he'd hold it below him and on the ground he'd put them down to give him some area control. If an enemy hits it, it explodes and flings them away.
His grapple could be a fishing pole from Mario Party, his dash attack could be him hitting the enemy in his kart,..
I'd be cooler for him to have a completely unique moveset based on underrepresented games rather than share abilities with other mario characters.
Not saying the abilities mentioned earlier in this thread should all be changed, but some of them could be made more unique for a character like Toad.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I was also thinking of his downsmash being one of those fake ? boxes from Mario Kart. In the air he'd hold it below him and on the ground he'd put them down to give him some area control. If an enemy hits it, it explodes and flings them away.
His grapple could be a fishing pole from Mario Party, his dash attack could be him hitting the enemy in his kart,..
I'd be cooler for him to have a completely unique moveset based on underrepresented games rather than share abilities with other mario characters.
Not saying the abilities mentioned earlier in this thread should all be changed, but some of them could be made more unique for a character like Toad.
sounds good to me

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So you know that Tekken Wii U game with costumes based off Nintendo characters? Yeah, so I noticed that the costumes featured in trailers belong to Nintendo characters who have already been playable in Smash games. And umm... I just found out that the game has THE Toad costume. We know that Namco is helping develop SSB4 with Sakurai. Could this possibly be a hint that Toad is a newcomer?

:phone:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I wouldn't look into it that way. On the topic of spinoff inspired moves for Toad, I feel that wouldn't do justice for any Mario character, even Waluigi.

And Tiger totally should have had his 'fro dyed like Toad's hat, not actually wear one.

MrGamer419

Smash Cadet
Toad probably wants to kill peach for using him as a shield so why not add him as playable

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
Toad probably wants to kill peach for using him as a shield so why not add him as playable
Remove Peach, add Toad and have Toad use Peach as a shield for one of his abilities! Payback is a b....

D

Deleted member

Until we see the final list of costumes for Tekken, I don't think it's safe to say anything in regards to Toad.

Still quite interesting, though.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I doubt the costumes means much. Toad appeared in smash so he's among smash bros costumes. (seeing as they haven't showed costumes of characters not in smash yet)

jigglover

Smash Lord
Me too, I couldn't get on the toad thread at all for a while, what's been posted on there!?
I got on anyway, and don't worry reaper, you missed nothing.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
It looks like there's a sprite or image from GSArchives on that page (the obvious). I had problems with that site as well in other forums thanks to the images (that site seems to be experiencing some problem). :/ Also page 6 seems to be about the Toad costume from TTT2 and as well as a new moveset for Toad. It still is accessible to me at the moment.

Anyways, I think that it's pretty neat that a costume of Toad will be appearing in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (making him the only character to have a costume not playable in Brawl so far - still possible there's more costumes, but still for now). I know the costume probably means very little; however, it's still a cool thing to see as well with Toad being represented as a Nintendo character in this game (especially since Namco is making this). :p

I wonder if more people will understand that Toad has fighting potential just based off that costume. :awesome: It seems like the main problem that people have with Toad is that they think he can't fight which is obviously not true.

JPW

Smash Ace
to be fair Falcon's moveset was made up from scratch.

And i'm pretty sure no one thought ROB or G&W could had a moveset.... but they made it possible.

So Toad having a moveset isn't too far off.

But yeah with seeing the costume i was thinking that too. Are jthey ust taking advantage of the fact they have Smash Bros. rights or does it mean something more. So far we've only seen costumes of characters we know have every chance of being in Smash 4. And then they throw in a Toad Costume..... hmmmm.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
to be fair Falcon's moveset was made up from scratch.

And i'm pretty sure no one thought ROB or G&W could had a moveset.... but they made it possible.

So Toad having a moveset isn't too far off.

But yeah with seeing the costume i was thinking that too. Are jthey ust taking advantage of the fact they have Smash Bros. rights or does it mean something more. So far we've only seen costumes of characters we know have every chance of being in Smash 4. And then they throw in a Toad Costume..... hmmmm.
Toad costume = his appearance in Peach's moveset. This just shows that they can use non playable characters that appeared in smash also. it really means nothing towards Toad's chances.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
^I don't know, I mean it's not like the character in the Peach costume was pulling out a Toad plushie or something, but rather Toad has his own separate costume for the playable character. Besides, why not use another big and recent Nintendo character like Pit or Little Mac? I guess Toad was popular and recognizable enough to be represented and revealed so early on his own. Why push Toad even lower to the ground? :urg:
-> "Yes!"
True, it probably means very little to Smash Bros.; however, we shouldn't simply disregard this as Toad getting a costume is quite surprising among the other big Nintendo stars (at least being revealed). At least it reveals that Toad is an iconic character to Nintendo to be represented in the popular game either way. The costume kind of reminds me of that game Kart Fighter and how an oddly proportionate sprite of Toad was used in that game. :p

jigglover

Smash Lord
I hope they start getting Baby bros.' costumes in that game, then the Toad fans will either have to disregard this argument or agree that the baby bros. have a chance!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I hope they start getting Baby bros.' costumes in that game, then the Toad fans will either have to disregard this argument or agree that the baby bros. have a chance!
Umm... Baby Bros. already wear the same clothes Mario Bros. do. :embarrass:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Right... like they are going to cater to the adult baby demographic. :rolleyes:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
LOL.
That's not a diaper. It's some Japanese underwear called fundoshi. It's like a thong. Not sure if that makes the nightmare any better.
:troll:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I know it's not a diaper lol. Still, Tekken 4 was a game where the fashion sense in this game made you go WTF? Besides Heihachi, there's Yoshimitsu's insect costume which is more disturbing than cool and Nina's way too neon purple costume.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I know, most fighting types have fairly long arms, or at least some kind of arms! :troll:
I think a poison type fits him well also. How to pick between normal, grass and poison... Nah, I agree, a normal and grass type seems best! He has to have the ability effect spore as well!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I just had a thought about how detailed Toad's outfit might look like, you know, like how detailed the outfits on Mario, Luigi, and Peach were. Maybe Toad's vest might have a subtle pattern of various Mario items depending on Toad's palette swaps.

THE Toad = Mushroom pattern (negative space)
Red Toad = Mushroom pattern
Blue Toad = Star pattern
Green Toad = Fire Flower pattern
Yellow Toad = Coin pattern
Purple Toad = Super Leaf pattern
"Toadette" Toad = Super Acorn pattern
"Toadsworth" Toad = Shine Sprite pattern

To illustrate what I have in mind, take a look at these...

Also, see the checkered floor? That could be the pattern for the yellow edges on Toad's vests.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Time to bump this thread.

Nice idea Arc and it sounds like a rather nice touch too. Though I wonder how complex they could go with Toad's vest. :0 Though high detail is always welcome. :p

Also it seems like Toad is definitely gathering a lot of attention recently. At least more than usual (eg PM: SS, NSMB U, and cameo in Nintendo Land). His species has definitely gathered a lot of attention in the most recent games. It somewhat reminds me of how Yoshi got so popular thanks to the high exposure of his species in the games. Also it helps that Toad will be fighting alongside the Bros. in the upcoming NSMB U as a playable character.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am crossing my fingers for Toad to finally make the cut. I have been wanting for Toad to get in Smash ever since Melee added Peach and Bowser. That's over 10 years already. I am really hoping that Sakurai sees that the Toad character/species is gaining prominence within the Mario franchise and Nintendo as a whole since 2009. The Toad character/species are no longer just limited to countless spin-off appearances where Toad's role is just as important as Waluigi's and Daisy's... no, the Toad character/species is becoming more important in the mainstream (and when I say mainstream, I mean platformer) Mario games... to the point where the Toad character/species is just as important as the Yoshi character/species.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I'm wondering, if Sakurai decided not to go down the villains route (so he didn't add Bowser or Ganondorf, Meta-knight, D3 and Wolf don't count) do you think that Toad would have got in already? I mean, of the non-villains in Mario Toad is the most important by far (and this does include WAAH) so do you think he'd have got into Brawl, or maybe even Melee? Personally, I think it's good that he hasn't got in for so long, back in melee or even brawl the move-set potential he had was close to none, but being in so many games since melee and brawl has given him loads more, especially melee. It's like, sunshine moves wouldn't have got into melee, whereas galaxy moves wouldn't have got into brawl, but now we're at SSB4 he has both moves from sunshine and galaxy (used in my set on the mario series thread btw) in his arsenal, making for a very unique character!

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Bump, this thread needs more recognition and love.

@Arc

I've been waiting for Toad to be playable since Melee as well. He seems like one of those characters who should have been in since this game; however, was oddly not put in. I really would like to see him get in though sadly, the Mario competition now seems rather high. Still, I personally believe that Toad stands a good chance considering how much exposures he's been give in the latest Wii U games.

NintendoLand, NSMB U both included Toad while games like Scribblenauts Unlimited and TT2 Wii U gave Toad cameo appearances alongside other big Nintendo characters. He's definitely gaining prominence, but Toad's popularity in terms of Smash Bros. seems hurt due to that Peach's special move and people thinking that he won't be interesting; despite the fact that both are countered (sub Peach's Toad to either a different move/Toad/Toadesworth and the fact that characters like Peach/Zelda/Falcon/G&W/etc also gained interesting moves despite doing little in their own games).

@Jiggs

It's true that Toad has gained a lot more moves after Brawl's release. The NSMB games have introduced countless moves for Toad while various spin-offs has shown Toad's worth (eg Sports Mix). He definitely has more potential to be interesting now, and with even NSMB U lately and more games to come, I'm sure that Toad has enough potential to be real unique this time around! Heck, Toad's NPC appearances can even help him as he is the "item master" of sorts. :)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
About Scribblenauts Unlimited, I looked up the Mario-related cameos and learned that there are no different-colored Toads. It's just THE Toad. But there are different-colored Yoshis in the game. Oh, and there are no other main Mario characters from the Mario spin-off games. So, it is just Mario, Luigi, Peach, THE Toad, Bowser, and generic Yoshis plus items and generic enemies. I think that's just about right. These six characters are the core Mario characters in the main Mario games for 20+ years. It's just more noticeable now in the post-Brawl main Mario games (New Super Mario Bros. Wii/2/U, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Mario 3D Land). The main Mario games between Melee and Brawl were Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, and New Super Mario Bros. DS and these games were where Bowser Jr.'s presence overshadowed Toad's. Nowadays it just seems to be the opposite.

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Yoshi, and Bowser together in a group always looked "right" to me. It's timeless. Iconic. It doesn't seem the same when Toad is replaced with Bowser Jr., Waluigi, Paper Mario, Geno, or anyone else. If Paper Mario is there, then everyone in the group have to be Paper Luigi, Paper Peach, Paper Toad, Paper Yoshi, and Paper Bowser to make the group feel "just right". If Bowser Jr. or Waluigi is there, then the group just makes Smash give off that "Mario spin-off game" vibe like it is Mario Tennis or Mario Golf. If Geno is there, then it just screams "Super Mario RPG" and that was only one game from 1996. At least that's how I see it.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
^I'd have to agree with you there. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Toad, and Yoshi are pretty much the staples that many of us have grown up with while playing through the Super Mario series, and additionally these five are still part of the main cast in the current games as well. In my opinion, the best way to "complete" the Super Mario series is to add Toad and also Bowser Jr.. A mix of both the old and new and the best way to represent all the major players from the series. Additionally, Toad is a protagonist while Jr. is an antagonist, so that's a mix of opposite sides to the team!

Seems like the gripe most people have with Toad is the lack of how "interesting" he can be. However, in the recent days he's definitely been proven to have a lot more potential in moves that have yet to be seen in the Smash Bros. series. Also based on the way he's been given so much exposure in the recent Mario games, seems like Nintendo is really pushing him forwards for once rather than being just part of the background. Toad's definitely at his peak or reaching his peak at this time.

Also I'm liking the way how Toad can be envisioned in Smash Bros. :awesome::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8hoo_Nd1fM

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
A lot of people seem unaware that Toad was actually the main character of a NES/SNES game called Wario's Woods. Granted it was just a puzzle game, but it also showed him having superhuman strength.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
^That's true; however, it seems like more people disregard it due to the lack of attention the game received and how it's named as a "generic puzzler" (though clearly it isn't if one truly played it). To be honest, the game deserves more love and appreciation (and a remake/sequel especially considering how many sequels Dr.Mario received over the years).

Regardless of it not being too well known, the game still hasn't been forgotten by Nintendo. It was on Animal Crossing, received at least two re-releases on the Japanese exclusive Satellaview, and was even one of the first games to come out on the VC for the Wii (well only the NES one, the SNES one would have been much better imo). Additionally, it wasn't a generic puzzler as most people claim it to be from a first look. It was actually more of an adventure/puzzle mix as the player directly controlled Toad and his abilities to play the game. People say that Toad was just a "filler" character; however, they forget the aspects of how this game plays similarly to SMB2 and makes reference to Toad's strength as he could carry stacks of enemies with ease.

From Wario's Woods, Toad has superhuman strength, bombs, and his running up wall ability set. Though it would be cool if we saw cameos like the fairy making an appearance to assist Toad if he was in SSB4 (though unlikely). Wario's Woods is one of my favourite NES games, and it would be great to see a reference to it through Toad (double win for me). XD

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So I was looking at Wario's Woods over at Nintendo's mini site for it, and I read the blurb and found something...well, take a look.

Source

Remember Toad, our little mushroom friend who made his first appearance in Super Mario Bros. 2™? Well, this time he is the star of the game! Control Toad as he scrambles along the bottom of the screen picking up monsters and bombs and arranging them vertically, horizontally, and diagonally to clear the screen of enemies. This game features four modes of play: basic, lesson, time race and two-player competitive. If you like puzzle games like Tetris™ and Dr. Mario™, you will definitely love this one!
Do you think this is a mistake on the writer's part, or what? I mean, technically, Toads were unnamed in the first Super Mario Bros., but wasn't the Toad mentioned by name in the Japanese version? Maybe they meant SMB2 was his first playable role? I'm not sure.

Can anyone clarify?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom