• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad parade - Oh boy it's Els--- I mean, Rosalina

What do you think will happen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Wow... Toad got 98.2% whereas Bowser Jr. got 17.3% and Waluigi got 11.9%. Even Baby Daisy is slightly popular than Waluigi with 12.6%.

Also, it is interesting how the top six are the major recurring characters from the main series. And the top five are the characters who have actually been playable in the main series. The rest are only playable in Mario spin-off games or in their own series.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

You guys are aware that poll is specifically for Mario Kart, right?
OF COURSE Toad would be popular in that.

Kirks21

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirks_43
3DS FC
1848-1728-8218
I think Toad has a lot of potential as a character. He can represent a lot of different entries in the Mario series. He can have moves from Galaxy, Mario Kart, all the Mario Sport games, Mario party and the New SMB series. I can totally see the Propeller cap being his recovery move.

Final Smash: Charges you 20 coins for a star and KO's you with it? :smirk:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
His Final Smash should involve mushrooms. It's so obvious... And so easy as well. Toad eats a Super Mushroom, and becomes Gaint Toad, and at the same time Poison Mushrooms fall out of the sky and can make enemies smaller but Toad is unaffected.

Using the lesser creative cells in my brains I even thought of that.

Kirks21

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirks_43
3DS FC
1848-1728-8218
My final smash idea was a joke, just to be clear...

But yeah...There are a lot of possibilities for Toad. I'd like to see him use his Kart at some point. Maybe as a final smash? *puts on flame suit precautiously*

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
My Final Smash idea had Toad getting in his SNES kart and using the Lucky 7 item.

I also would like to see more references from Super Mario Bros. 2 and Wario's Woods. How about these suggestions?

Entrance - the rocket flies upward and then Toad drops off as the rocket explodes... I think this is fitting since rockets = outer space = Super Mario Galaxy games = Toad Brigade

Taunt 1 - a red door leading to Subspace appears, Toad enters it, and the door disappears for a second, and then Toad suddenly reappears with a coin spinning above his head... You know Toad was the fastest vegetable-puller in that game, very useful for picking up coins in Subspace

Taunt 2 - Toad pulls out a giant vegetable from Super Mario Advance and throws it away, this is a demonstration of his rumored superhuman strength

Taunt 3 - Toad does his V sign like Mario always do, this is from Wario's Woods when Toad wins a match

End of Match Victory 1 - Toad pulls out a random item from Super Mario Bros. 2, they are either a coin, a vegetable, a Bob-omb, or a Koopa shell. The coin simply spins in the air and then disappears. Toad throws a vegetable. Toad panicks and throws the Bob-omb before it explodes. Toad jumps on the shell and surfs on it.

End of Match Victory 2 - Toad jumps on a Pidgit who is flying on his carpet, then Toad picks him up and throws him off the carpet. Toad then holds up a V sign while riding on the carpet.

End of Match Victory 3 - Toad drives in his kart in circles around a gold cup, cheering like he won a race.

End of Match Loss - Toad cries and turns into a Super Mushroom (if it's Kinopio or red Toad), Mini Mushroom (if it's blue Toad), 1-UP Mushroom (if it's green Toad), Golden Mushroom (if it's yellow Toad), or Poison Mushroom (if it's purple Toad). This is based on when Toad gets crushed and loses a match in Wario's Woods. Also inspired by the mushroom status ailment from Super Mario RPG.

Kirks21

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirks_43
3DS FC
1848-1728-8218
My Final Smash idea had Toad getting in his SNES kart and using the Lucky 7 item.

I also would like to see more references from Super Mario Bros. 2 and Wario's Woods. How about these suggestions?

Entrance - the rocket flies upward and then Toad drops off as the rocket explodes... I think this is fitting since rockets = outer space = Super Mario Galaxy games = Toad Brigade

Taunt 1 - a red door leading to Subspace appears, Toad enters it, and the door disappears for a second, and then Toad suddenly reappears with a coin spinning above his head... You know Toad was the fastest vegetable-puller in that game, very useful for picking up coins in Subspace

Taunt 2 - Toad pulls out a giant vegetable from Super Mario Advance and throws it away, this is a demonstration of his rumored superhuman strength

Taunt 3 - Toad does his V sign like Mario always do, this is from Wario's Woods when Toad wins a match

End of Match Victory 1 - Toad pulls out a random item from Super Mario Bros. 2, they are either a coin, a vegetable, a Bob-omb, or a Koopa shell. The coin simply spins in the air and then disappears. Toad throws a vegetable. Toad panicks and throws the Bob-omb before it explodes. Toad jumps on the shell and surfs on it.

End of Match Victory 2 - Toad jumps on a Pidgit who is flying on his carpet, then Toad picks him up and throws him off the carpet. Toad then holds up a V sign while riding on the carpet.

End of Match Victory 3 - Toad drives in his kart in circles around a gold cup, cheering like he won a race.

End of Match Loss - Toad cries and turns into a Super Mushroom (if it's Kinopio or red Toad), Mini Mushroom (if it's blue Toad), 1-UP Mushroom (if it's green Toad), Golden Mushroom (if it's yellow Toad), or Poison Mushroom (if it's purple Toad). This is based on when Toad gets crushed and loses a match in Wario's Woods. Also inspired by the mushroom status ailment from Super Mario RPG.

I like it! While reading your post I got some ideas for him. For example:

His side B could be him riding on the red shell from Mario Bros. 2.

His down throw move could be the same animation from Mario Bros. when he picks up an enemy from above. The grab would be very close to DK's grab move where he can carry any character temporarily.

I don't know...I just really want to see Toad in the game..:c

Eagle

Smash Lord
I don't understand Toad's popularity. Grabbing people and throwing bombs from some game noone likes? It's just not what the next game needs, I feel.

I do like Toad. But if he did get in... Seeing what Sakurai did with Toon Link, in that there were so many possibilities for Toon Link to be different from Link, I would be a little worried.

If I had it my way I'd put Toad as an assist Trophy (where having limited abilities would work better) and put Toadsworth in Peach's B move.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
One thing that I am curious about and find fascinating in regards to Mario newcomer support is the topic of age and experience. The characters of Waluigi, Paper Mario, and Bowser Jr. all made their first appearance from 2000 to 2002. Toad by comparison had his first game appearance in 1985, and first major role in a Mario game in 1988 (Super Mario Bros. 2). So from 1988 to 2000, people who grew up Mario games were only exposed to Toad as a character.

Super Mario Bros. 3 was my first Mario game, and I spent years playing the other classic 2D Marios (Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2, and Super Mario World) years before the Nintendo 64 was released. Thus a Mario without Waluigi or Bowser Jr. was long imprinted on my impression of the Mario series, long before their debut games were released.

With Waluigi, he was never more important than any other characters in the game, so his whole appeal lied with people that actually used him versus other games. For example, all the games Waluigi has been in I usually played as a Koopa Troopa (or a variation of him when not available), so Waluigi always seemed like another face in the crowd to me.

For Bowser Jr., his first two prominent appearances within the main series were Super Mario Sunshine (the weakest 3D Mario) and New Super Mario Bros. (a pretty weak game compared to most of the classic 2D Marios), so the character never left a nostalgic impression on me.

Paper Mario though, I thoroughly enjoyed Paper Mario and Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. I liked Super Paper Mario too, though it was much weaker than the previous two. I skipped out entirely on Sticker Star, and have no intention of ever getting it.

For Toad, there have been so many games for which I enjoyed with him having a major role in it that I have thoroughly enjoyed. Super Mario Bros. 2 being the first example. The biggest reason though was when I played Wario's Woods for the SNES, which was and still is my favorite puzzle game of all time, and still one of my favorite all-time games for the Super Nintendo (definitely within my personal favorite Top 10 for the SNES). During this last decade, I played a lot more of Wario's Woods again when I got to play the NES version for the first time via Animal Crossing, and having Toad/Toadette as my partner of choice in Mario Kart Double Dash. Playing as Toad with friends and family for New Super Mario Bros. Wii was another point in Toad's favor.

Overall, I am curious about why other Toad fans here support Toad and when they themselves got into the Mario series. I think people who grew up on the late Nintendo 64-early GameCube are more inclined to support Waluigi and Bowser Jr., while those who grew up on the NES, SNES, and early Nintendo 64 support Toad more. However, I am just curious to listen.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I didn't support much pre-Brawl cause of him being part of Peach's moveset, and well, that and Dr.Mario's inclusion didn't make me think he was ever considered as a possible newcomer for the series. Sakurai even stated himself he didn't think of him as fighter potential. So that kept me mostly away from him pre-Brawl.

Nowadays, he's got great revival in the series. Mainly cause of him being put in the spot light as a playable character again. Increasing his moveset potential considerably. Also, Bowser Jr. was new at the time of Brawl, and I thought he was more likely cause of Mario's Sunshine theme, and Bowser Jr.'s biggest role remains in Sunshine imo. But it's even today, still a tight competition.

I just favor Toad for his classic status. He's been playable long before Bowser Jr. and Waluigi even showed their faces. And tbh: I don't consider Waluigi to be likely at all. :smirk: And I think Toad easily would be the most unique out of any possible Super Mario newcomers.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
. Sakurai even stated himself he didn't think of him as fighter potential. So that kept me mostly away from him pre-Brawl..
I have heard this, but I have never ever seen a source for this. Is this another "Sigurd is Sakurai's favorite Fire Emblem character" deal, where a bunch of supporters/haters say something repeatedly until its accepted by much of the Smash Bros. fanbase (ie. that Sigurd thing got disproven when someone actually bothered to translate Sakurai's pre-Melee journal and published the results to the poll where Sigurd only got a measly two votes, and Sakurai himself said his favorite FE character was Nabarl/Navarre).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well really I have no idea where this came from, but I have a foggy image of remember it being said with a translated quote? But yeah, I do hope it's a Sigurd-kinda deal.

Even though Sigurd would be totally wicked to have in Smash. :smirk: Just admit it.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Man, I'm not too sure about Toad. Everyones gonna probably think there's too many Mario characters..
Toad hasn't had his own game to prove he is special, the same goes for Waluigi.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I actually would love to see a stage based of Wario's Woods. It would take place inside a hollowed out tree with a Thwomp in the ceiling. The Thwomp would occasionally drop down and bury characters (think Pitfall item) and then rise back up to the ceiling. Wanda (the same fairy from Mario & Wario) would occasionally show up to drop bombs (think bombs during Sudden Death matches). The exits are on both sides of the tree and characters can fall off the stage through these two exits. I think it would work great as Toad's stage even if the world icon is the letter "W" instead of the mushroom.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
About Wario's Woods though, was this an actual released game? Cause I don't remember seeing it anywhere as a kid. I'm from Europe though...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
About Wario's Woods though, was this an actual released game? Cause I don't remember seeing it anywhere as a kid. I'm from Europe though...
According to MarioWiki...

Japan - February 19, 1994
United States - December 10, 1994
Europe - 1995

So, yes, Wario's Woods is international.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Toad should totally be in Smash! :premium:

Heard it from me the first of coarse. :awesome:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
ChronoBound, you said Wario's Woods is your favorite puzzle game? Check this out. ;)
Back in 2004, I had the idea of Wario's Woods as Toad's stage for my Smash DS idea compilation. However, the idea worked differently. Here is what I wrote:

Wario’s Woods:
This level takes place inside the tube/tree in which you solve the puzzles in Wario’s Woods. This is a relatively small stage. There are no hazards in this level. However, the only way to get KO’d is to get knocked out of the tube/tree. There is only one opening in the tube/tree which is selected at random, and can change at random intervals. This level will create chaos and mayhem for those playing Super Sudden Death mode because they will be ricocheting off the walls like pinballs.

Overall, I like your idea for Wario's Woods. It seems more dynamic than the idea I had for it back in 2004.

I really would like to see Wario's Woods get referenced in a stage or even Toad's moveset since its such a great underrated game.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yeah, yeah!!! That's the idea!!! Characters would be ricoheting off the walls like pinballs!! That's what the bombs are for!!!

Oh, and when Thwomp drops, the characters get buried as if they were hit with the Pitfall item. That's why I have those four branches out so they can escape. But then they will have a very small room to battle on those branches while Thwomp is blocking the entrances to the tree trunk.

BTW, I only have SNES Wario's Woods but I am considering picking up NES Wario's Woods on Virtual Console. How does the NES version compare with the SNES version?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
BTW, I only have SNES Wario's Woods but I am considering picking up NES Wario's Woods on Virtual Console. How does the NES version compare with the SNES version?
I would say its worth it to get Wario's Woods NES. Its quite a bit different from the SNES version. There is no story mode (where you fight against a computer opponent). It pretty much just has two versions of "Round Game", of which there is A and B. In the B version, you fight bosses inside the tube.

Keep in mind though, that I was able to play the NES version of Wario's Woods through Animal Crossing (which has a whopping 19 NES games in total).

I would say I definitely prefer the SNES version of Wario's Woods, but if you are a big fan of the game, definitely pick up the NES version. They are different enough that I appreciate both of them, and come back to both of them once in a while (though I come back to the SNES version more often).

I am surprised you don't have Animal Crossing GCN though. Personally, I really liked that game, though I was never able to get into Wild World. I have no intention of ever buying another Animal Crossing game, but I still go back to AC on the GCN.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I do have Animal Crossing GCN - why do you think I am open to the idea of Villager in Smash? ;) It is just that I am unable to get NES games since I accidentally deleted the NES save data in the memory card that came with Animal Crossing GCN. I loved that game... though I got bored with it after two years. I haven't gotten Wild World nor City Folk either... maybe New Leaf since I could easily download it from eShop.

Back to topic, Toad for Smash! :awesome:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I do have Animal Crossing GCN - why do you think I am open to the idea of Villager in Smash? ;) It is just that I am unable to get NES games since I accidentally deleted the NES save data in the memory card that came with Animal Crossing GCN.
The NES games are on disc. The NES save data on the memory card is just to record your save data and high scores for the NES games. I am sure another block for it is created when you quit a NES game in Animal Crossing.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yeah, I am sure it is possible. I remember getting my first NES game in the mail within the first week of playing Animal Crossing GCN. It was Pinball... it was nice but lame compared to other pinball games I used to play on the computer in the 1990's. I got Tennis from one of Tom Nook's lotteries. It was a bit better since it was a tennis game (and I liked Mario Tennis) but the horrible ball physics turned me away. Some time later, I deleted the save data because I wanted to start over... and I haven't gotten any NES games since.

At least with Wii Virtual Console, I downloaded Balloon Fight, Punch-Out!!, Mario Bros., Ice Climber, Super Mario Bros., and The Legend of Zelda. I am thinking the next NES games I pick up might be Clu Clu Land (I enjoyed it on the e-Reader), Excitebike (it is exciting :troll:), and Wario's Woods. I think I might download them tonight... it's only 1500 points, right? :awesome:

As to why I am supporting Toad for Smash... it's simply because I liked playing as Toad in Super Mario Bros. 2 and Mario Kart games. Though it was very hard to defend Toad against the detractors, pre-Brawl, because Toad had little to no moves to draw from the Mario games except for spin-offs. It made Toad look like he was as important as Waluigi and Daisy. That's why Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario were the most-wanted newcomers for Brawl. At least, post-Brawl, Toad can draw moves from New Super Mario Bros. games. He's more relevant to the Mario main series and to Nintendo lately. Toad now has a solid case and I can now defend Toad a bit better than before.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Animal Crossing has 19 NES games in total. Here is a list of them:

Super Mario Bros. (can only be attained through Action Replay)
Mario Bros. (can only be attained through Action Replay or a special e-reader card)
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Donkey Kong 3
Donkey Kong Jr. Math
The Legend of Zelda (can only be attained through Action Replay)
Wario's Woods
Ice Climber (can only be attained through Action Replay or a special e-reader card)
Punch-Out
Clu Clu Land
Clu Clu Land D
Excite Bike
Balloon Fight
Tennis
Golf
Soccer
Baseball
Pinball

Aside from Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Mario Bros., and Ice Climber, all of the games in Animal Crossing can be attained through either an universal code or a special game specific code.

The games that require a specific game-specific code are Donkey Kong Jr., Donkey Kong 3, Punch-Out, Clu Clu Land D, and Soccer.

Everything else can be attained through an universal code you give to Tom Nook. If you are planning on getting Wario's Woods, Clu Clu Land, and Excite Bike, get them for free in Animal Crossing. I just saved you $15. :awesome:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ha! I looked through the Animal Crossing wikia for the same information. I think I will save $15 by NOT buying Donkey Kong Jr. Math and any of those sports games. :awesome:

EDIT: Been playing NES Wario's Woods. Wow... it is actually better than I thought. The NES controls are simplified compared to the SNES version but it is very effective. I like how pressing up on the + pad lets Toad get up to the top of the stack he was carrying.

It would be nice if Nintendo made a new Wario's Woods game featuring the Toad Brigade (the palette swaps would be used for multiplayer).

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Oh maan, it's such a long time I played Wario's Woods. I played the hell out of it alone and with my bro too. SNES version all the way. Though gosh, it's so hard to get hang of first.

Anyway, I just got Mario Sports Mix and I find it awesome that Toad can control or grow mushrooms out from the ground by will. (-lul-)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Ha! I looked through the Animal Crossing wikia for the same information. I think I will save $15 by NOT buying Donkey Kong Jr. Math and any of those sports games. :awesome:

EDIT: Been playing NES Wario's Woods. Wow... it is actually better than I thought. The NES controls are simplified compared to the SNES version but it is very effective. I like how pressing up on the + pad lets Toad get up to the top of the stack he was carrying.

It would be nice if Nintendo made a new Wario's Woods game featuring the Toad Brigade (the palette swaps would be used for multiplayer).
So did you end up buying the Virtual Console version of Wario's Woods, or did you acquire it in Animal Crossing?

Like I said before, both versions are worth playing through.

Wario's Woods is pretty much the biggest reason why I support Toad.

Also, I am not sure if this was mentioned in this topic, but New Super Mario Bros. Wii is the second highest selling home console game of all time in Japan. Toad as a playable character in the main Mario series is now iconic and well known. I still think if Toad were to be made playable, he would have either the propeller hat or propeller block as his recovery move.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Wario's Woods is like one of my favourite puzzle games of all time. That and Bejeweled I could like play them for hours on end. They're so addicting. (*¬*)

I got to love Toad by playing Super Mario Bros. 2 and Wario's Woods. Poor guy, I think he deserves a spot on the roster.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Virtual Console version. It's pretty good. I definitely don't regret spending 500 points for it.

I agree on the Propeller Mushroom being Toad's Up+B recovery move. I made this moveset last summer.

I forgot I made and posted this on the old SSB4 thread. I also sent it to Sakurai's Twitter. :awesome:

B - Poison Mushroom
Poison Mushrooms debuted in Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels but they were CPU-controlled Toad's and Peach's special item in the original Super Mario Kart.

Side+B - Golden Mushroom
Golden Mushrooms debuted in Mario Kart 64 but they were Toad's and Toadette's special item in Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

Up+B - Propeller Mushroom
This is obviously from New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Down+B - Lift & Carry
This move comes from Super Mario Bros. 2 and Wario's Woods.

Final Smash - Lucky 7
This is obviously from Mario Kart 7.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I love the moveset! Even though I'm in the Jr. crowd, I fully support Toad's level of awesome.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
And just finished reading the thread. If nothing else interesting to hear people's thoughts on him. Surprised there isn't a generic Mario rep thread though.

Anyways, Toad is my second supporter for SSB from the Mario series (I imagine I'd enjoy playing as Rosalina more, since at worst she's a bizarre Peach clone, but I consider Toad more likely). I'm definitely hoping that he gets in over Daisy, Bowser Junior, and Waluigi (especially Waluigi, as the other two might offer something interesting potentially, as unlikely and undeserving of the spot as they might be). I imagine if he gets in he'd definitely be one of the figures I'd play as, and I can only hope that he's fun and enjoyable.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Toad is the only major playable Mario char who isn't playable in smash. My #2 most wanted player, after Paper Mario.

volvox

Smash Rookie
I think it'd be nice to have the whole SMB2 cast fighting at the same time. I don't feel like validating why he should be in the game. I feel if you are in this thread, you either want him in, or want to troll. I just want to mention a few moves I think he could have. Sorry, this is gonna be a long one. :(

Toad would be the fast grappler of the game (El Fuerte). He would be faster and lighter than Mario and equal in strength, with limted range due to size (ice-climber size?) and small jump, and a fall almost as fast as Fox. All of his command grabs (Up B, Down B, or grab + Up [like DK]) will have Toad lift an item/opponent over his head with both arms. This forces his next attack to be throwing the item. The only other move that can be done while holding something above your head is Up B. Large items and opponents will slow him down, but not by much. The heavier the character/object, the less mobility Toad has (but always more than DK). When Toad throws something from a command grab, that delightful SMB2 chime would occur. :)

Up B:
I think his Up B move should be a chargeable super-jump, with Toad having both arms raised above his head when jumping (from SMB2). This should make up for his horribly-low regular jumps. While charging, Toad crouches, then starts flashing when maximum charge is reached. Ofcourse the more you charge, the higher you jump. A full charge would take as long as it did on SMB2 (not too long). While charging the jump in the air, it should slow your decent, but not by much. If Toad is directly under an opponet or certain objects (even if it's thrown), Toad should catch it, carrying it above his head. If the spacing is off, Toad would do minor damage to an opponent, get hit by a thrown object, and have no effect with a passive object. Catching things with Up B would take strict spacing, like Luigi's Up B.

Down B: (Though I was thinking that it'll be cool if this were his Neutral B so Kirby can steal this move :))
Down B will put Toad into a grabbing animation similar to SMB2 and it'll have 3 different functions.

1: If done without anything near him and on the ground, it would act as a better version of Peach's Down B. He'd pick the item faster, throw it faster, and the item would travel at a better angle. Also, the variety of items would be better. Though most often Toad will pick a vegetable, occasionally he'll pick bob-ombs (higher chance than Peach, but weaker than regular bob-ombs), sliding red turtle shells, rarely a floating heart that heals 5% to whoever touches it (SMB2), and very rarely a POW. Unlike Peach, however, he must hold the item above his head with both arms, forcing his next attack to be throwing the object.

2: If done directly next to an opponent, Toad will lift him/her over his head upside down. Picking up an opponent takes slightly more time than picking vegetables, etc.

3: Down B will also act as a counter to certain items thrown at him. Instead of getting hit by it, he catches it and lifts it over his head. This will override Toad picking a regular item from the ground.

If Down B is used in the air, Toad decends a little while B is held, then attempts to grab an opponent or thrown object when B is released. The longer you hold B, the longer he decends before the attempt. While attempting to grab, Toad would stay suspended in the air.

I don't know what would be best for the other 2 specials or the Smashball. I guess something to make the fans happy from other toad games I haven't really played. I'm older than the target audience (29) and have very fond memories of playing Toad on SMB2 when I was 5:). Sorry for the long post, Ive been thinking about this for awhile. I hope he makes it in. :c

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Since people have decided to post movesets for Toad. Here is the one I made up for him back in 2008/2009 (I made a more recent change to it, where I changed his recovery to the propeller block):

Toad moveset:

Toad will be a very interesting character in terms of stats. He will be very fast, very light, but extremely strong and have poor recovery. You might be confused as to why I am planning to have Toad like this, however, these stats are derived from actual Mario series canon. In Super Mario Bros. 2 (or even better yet, go check Super Mario Advance), Toad is ranked as the fastest of the four characters (5/5 rating), the strongest (5/5), however, he has the poorest jumping (2/5). He is also very light, as he is usually among the lightest drivers in the Mario Kart games. Toad’s trophy profile in Brawl also makes mention of Toad’s “superhuman strength.” A character that is both a speed character and a power character has not been done yet in the Smash Bros. series., so I decided that this would help to make Toad quite a unique character addition.

Toad has also starred in many games over the years, and much of his moveset will be derived from his abilities in Super Mario Bros. 2, Wario’s Woods, the Mario Kart series, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, as well as some of the Mario sports titles he has been in. Toad will also have some special abilities that are unique to him (much like Peach’s floating ability is unique to her). I am hoping that the moveset that I have crafted for Toad will help dissipate the belief that Toad would not be an unique character addition.

Stats:

Speed: 5/5 (Toad is among the fastest characters in the game)
Power: 5/5 (Toad is very strong, like Ganondorf or Ike strong)
Recovery: 2/5 (One of Toad’s worst qualities, Toad’s recovery has little horizontal recovery, but excellent vertical recovery when fully charged)

Weight: 1.5/5 (Toad is one of the lightest characters in the game, about Kirby’s weight).

Toad Regular Moves:

Due to short length of Toad’s limbs, you must be quite close to your opponent in order to hit him or her with your attacks. Toad relies on his massive head for a lot of his attacks due to this.

A: Left-punch

AA: Right-punch

AAA: Toad puts both his hands on the ground, and kicks his opponent with both of his feet (Pikachu’s A-tilt)

Side-A-tilt: Toad does a spin-kick.

Running-A: Toad headbutts his opponent with his huge head while running.

Down-A: Toad headbutts his enemy (think Pikachu’s regular A-move)

Up-tilt A: Toad jumps up a little bit to do a headbutt.

A-Air: Toad spins around in a ball.

Backward-air: Toad kicks from behind.

Foward-air: Toad does a foward headbutt spin (meaning he headbutts by spinning head first into your opponent).

Up-air: An upward headbutt.

Down-air: Toad falls instantly down head first on his opponent (think like Toon Link’s Down-air). If the attack connects he will bounce off his opponent and be in the air again. It’s a spike if the opponent is in the air.

Smash-foward: Hits opponent with tennis racket, it is perhaps among Toad’s weakest moves, but it possesses the properties of a special move in that it can reflect knock back projectiles if timed right.

Down-smash: Hits opponent with a golf club, this attack has the most range of any one of Toad’s A-moves. It also has a sweetspot at the tip.

Up-smash: A very strong headbutt, hehehe, no. He actually flips upside down to do and upward kick (think ROB’s Up-Smash).

Special moves:

Regular B: Bombs: Toad pulls out a bomb from Wario’s Woods. The bomb is quite powerful doing 15% damage a piece. If B is pressed again Toad will place the bomb on the ground and kick and the bomb. The bomb will slide along the ground and won’t explode until it falls off a ledge, hits a wall, hits an item, or hits your opponent. This is based off of an ability from Wario’s Woods.

Side-B: Toad Kart: Toad rides his kart from the Mario Kart series. It is like Wario’s bike in that you can ride into your opponents with it to do damage, however, there are few key differences. One is that Kart is a tad slower, does slightly less damage, but has much better traction (turning). Toad will also be able to throw any items he is holding while riding it, much like in the Mario Kart games.

Down-B: Veggies: This is similar to Peach’s down-b but there are a few key differences. One is that Toad will be able to pluck the veggies, that come out of the ground much faster than Peach (in Super Mario Bros. 2, Toad was the fastest plucker, wheras Peach was the slowest). Toad also does not have his plucking limited to turnips. Toad will frequently also pick up pumpkins, radishes, and peppers (as well as the other veggies that you could pick up in Super Mario Bros. 2). Toad will also occasionally pick up some of the items that appeared in Super Mario Bros. 2 when doing this such as a Koopa Shell, a bob-omb (yes, sometimes bob-ombs would be picked up), a POW block, and some rare occasions a stop watch. You only have a 5% chance of picking up an item (meaning 1/50 shot), however, the move is well worth it considering that besides turnips, the other veggies that Toad throws do more damage than most of Peach’s turnips, and he is able to pluck them faster and throw them farther.

Up-B: Propeller Block: This move is based off of the Propeller Block that can be acquired in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Toad basically pulls out the propeller block, and flies up really quickly. Holding onto the propeller block will make Toad slowly descend (like Peach's parasol). The downside to this recovery move is that while it has excellent vertical recovery its, horizontal recovery is non-existent (outside of slowly descending). The propeller block only goes straight up.

Final Smash: Bomb Barrage: This Final Smash is inspired from Wario’s Woods. The fairy-sprite thing from Wario’s Woods will shower lots of bombs from the game all over the arena you are fighting on. Toad can gather these bombs to stack them and kick them individually like in Wario’s Woods. The bombs will explode once they hit your opponent (the bombs won’t backfire on Toad). Sometimes, the black bird from Wario’s will appear in the fairy’s place and shower random enemies from Wario’s Woods instead. Unlike the bombs, the enemies can be continually reused. This is not a powerful Final Smash, and can even be classified as one of the weaker ones.

Toad has a an unique ability exclusive to him. He has the ability to run up walls like in Wario’s Woods, however, this ability is only useful for stages such as Fourside and Saffron City.

Toad’s taunts are as follows:
1. Toad will wave at the screen and say hi.
2. Toad will jump up, and say yahoo (Based off of when you would select him in Mario Kart 64).
3. Toad will clench his fists, and look determined toward his opponent and say, “I’m not scared.”

Victory animations:

1. Toad will give the peace sign, and say “Sweet.” This is based off of what he would do when he would win a match in Wario’s Woods.
2. Toad will be jumping up and down saying “Yippee I won.”
3. Toad will pump his fist, and say “I guess you underestimated me.”

Toad idle animation:
Toad will normally just have his fists clenched and try to look determined and brave. Once and a while, Toad will have nervous expression on his face and look around.

Toad running animation:
Toad runs with his arms thrown back (like Ness’s running animation).

Toad shielding animation:
Toad will use his arms to block his big head.

Toad costumes:

Costume one: Greed spots on shroom head, with green jacket.
Costume two: Blue spots on shroom head, with red jacket.
Costume three: Yellow spots on shroom head with yellow jacket.
Costume four: Black spots on shroom with black jacket.
Unlockable alternate costume: Toadette or Toadsworth

Kirby Hat: Kirby wear’s the Toad “shroom hat”.

Toad-Snake Codec Conversation:
Snake: Hey, Mei Ling, who's the ****** with the spotter hat?
Mei Ling: That's Toad. Toad is one of Princess Peach's trusted body guards.
Snake: If he is so tough, then why does Peach keep getting kidnapped?
Mei Ling: Well... most Toads are cowards, but a few are very brave and even accompanied Mario and Luigi on their quests.
Snake: I guess this one must be one of those Toads...
Mei Ling: One more thing Snake, Toad may be small, but he is extremely strong. Please don't get caught off guard by his small size and meekish disposition.
Snake: Don't worry. In Smash Bros., I have learned looks can be deceiving...
End of codec.

End of Toad moveset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom