• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link General Information Discussion Thread

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
As a Toon Link newbie, could someone explain what BLC is?

Yackabean

"He's shooting arrows out his butt" ~ Scotland
NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
BLC stands for Bomb Lag Cancel.
You can find a few threads mentioning it on the TL board.
What it does is is cancel the lag animation from air dodges and ariels with a bomb.
There's also histstun BLC which cancels hitstun by throwing a bomb.

To perform it just press Down B during lag frames on landing or in hit stun and you'll throw a bomb cancelling hitstun. It can also be done to cancel the ending animation of neutral B (Arrow)

deech

Smash Cadet
Yeah it's probably something different then. Hey Deech, explain yourself XD. Details. We'll figure it out eventually.

Details as in:
What button presses were trying to do?
What do you think you could have accidentally pressed?
What exactly did Toon do? (step by step, don't leave anything out)
How far did you slide? In what direction?
What stage were you on? (I swear, if you were just on an ice stage or something slippery... XD)
You mentioned the fact that you wanted to do an aerial boomerang. Does this mean you pressed jump at some point but you didn't end up jumping?
So I'm not sure if I jumped or not because I performed this while I had tap jump still on.
I was playing against a lil mac and spacing accordingly, running jc bombs, rar boomerangs and such.

Move inputs were something like run left, tap jump, b and right. I thought I was going to do a SMS boomerang but instead slid left while shooting arrow.

It was around the same distance as a JC bomb throw.

Sorry I don't remember the stage. It was on one of the For Glory 1v1 maps.

Step by step: He ran, turned, blink of light (action cancelling?), and launched an arrow while sliding back.

Edit: Oh, I guess it's just a refind then haha.

Do you guys know how to replicate it?

I've been testing it out in practice mode and was actually able to reverse the arrow BACK into the direction I was shooting it. Interesting glitch...seems finicky.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Yeah we know how to replicate it. First of all, just so we're on the same page, read the following copy paste from my thread:

"Turn Around Special"/"Turn Around B"- Using a special move so that your character turns around to face the other way with no other effects to their momentum. Can be done in a couple of ways. For the neutral special, either flick the joystick backwards such that it returns to neutral then Hit special, or lightly hold the joystick backwards and Hit special.

"Special Reversal"/"Special-Reversal"/"B-reversal"- Using a special move so that your character turns around to use the move and at the same time they 'reverse' any momentum they had, i.e. if you were jumping forwards therefore moving forwards at a certain speed, you will instantly start travelling in the opposite direction with the same speed. For the neutral special, this is done by Hitting special and then instantly moving the joystick backwards, i.e. the opposite way to which you are facing. The same input is done for jumping backwards.

"Wave Bounce"/"Recoil Special"- It's a combination of the above two. You use a special move to reverse your characters momentum seemingly without turning around to face the opposite way, but in fact you just turn around twice very quickly. For the neutral special, this will be done by at first either flicking the joystick backwards such that it returns to neutral and then hitting special or lightly tilting backwards and hitting special, i.e. the 'turn around special', then instantly hitting the joystick in the direction that is now actually backwards (i.e. the direction you were originally facing before you started).

Ok, so what you originally did was a grounded special reversal. The effect is less pronounced because of the fact you did it on the ground, but apparently in this game it's actually better than it was in Brawl.
What you're describing this time, what you did in your practice, is a grounded wavebounce (I think; it's a bit hard to tell from the description, and you may have done the grounded wavebounce originally and the special reversal this time). Neither of which are glitches strictly speaking, just a good use of well entrenched and purposefully made mechanics. The grounded wavebounce would be the most difficult and also the most potentially useful of the two, but then the question still begs, why not just do this in the air to get a greater effect and therefore a safer use? In fact you could even make the wavebounce easier by doing a RAR into a special reversal, all of which is known.

Last edited:

Yackabean

"He's shooting arrows out his butt" ~ Scotland
NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
There is somewhat a little bigger slide on the ground when doing reverse B now. But not drastic. I did get it to work, but yeah. Wavebouncing has always beena better option. (in the air)

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I fought some opponents today with TL. I love his zoning game.. Arrows are great, Boomerang is my beats friend, and Bombs do wonders.

:4tlink: , welcome to the team. :)

PhoenixBombLoop

Smash Rookie
I recently got the game and decided to main Toon Link. Best decision I've made in a while. His playstyle fits very well and his tools allow me to be able to beat characters with strategy and power. Good offense and excellent defense is a plus. Preparation is huge for me as I struggle with confidence in online fighting games. To top it off, all of you finding these awesome techniques to up my game? Thank you all. Now to my main point. I have manged to do most of these techniques but the bomb duplication is what I am struggling with. The frames are difficult to catch for me and I think this could help rack up some damage and link some techs together. I also struggle to find a strategy in general of how to go about Tlinks movements and placement. To put it simply, I know the techniques, how do I go about using it effectively? I'm also experimenting with some combos linking bomb techs with other techs i'll see if they work and post some things but I can't guarantee anything . Sorry if this is spam or in the wrong place.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
OMG I love your name! Did you literally pick your name after the name I gave to that tech, the Phoenix Bomb? Because that just made my day right there. Congratulations, you're officially my favourite.

When Mota first discovered the Phoenix Bomb, I never actually thought it would be used on purpose, simply because of the fact that in a real game there are too many factors that are out of your control and the fact that the timing and spacing required is too strict. The best you could do is simply be aware of its existence then realise you've done it as and when it happens due to the positioning of the opponent etc, and then have fun surprising them with it a moment later.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
Does anyone know what exactly causes TL to drop his bombs when he's hit by an attack? Not sure if it's move specific, or due to knock back, but they only move I recall causing this is Greninjas water shuriken (charged). I'm sure there's more instances but I can't think of any it being the wee hours of the night here. More testing tomorrow

D

Deleted member

Sorry if these have been discussed here already and I missed them, but I found these on the Link boards. I'm not really sure what was being done in the zair video, otherwise I'd test it. The "lock" is still being tested by Link players, but I wonder if there's any way it could somehow be adjusted for TL?

Lock being tested by the Link boards:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpmlkX2ZG7I

Zair glitch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbb5_L9TcWU

Last edited by a moderator:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
@ Fangblade Fangblade : I've never known there to be anything in particular that causes the bomb to drop when you get hit. This might be something interesting to look into though.

@Dr. Artemis: Ah, I see Link may have his lock back, only now they think he can infinite with it? That would be pretty cool. Though I don't think Toon will be able to do it for a couple of reasons.
The trick is to find a move (like Link's sourspot Nair) that has locking properties, i.e. just the right amount of knockback and hitstun. In Brawl, the only things Toon had that had locking properties were his arrows and his dash attack. (This could easily have been changed so at some point I'd want to test all his moves in smash 4.) The trouble with setting up a footstool lock is that you have a limited time to hit them with a specific move after the footstool makes them flop on the ground. Link has a faster fall and he has an aerial that helps with this. [In Brawl I did actually manage to find a way to get a footstool lock with Toon, but it required two footstools and a quickdraw arrow (zair to footstool to bomb throw down to re-footstool to fast fall quickdraw). We don't have quickdraw any more so I'm going to guess that this won't be an option.] Unless one of Toon's aerials has locking properties, we're out of luck I reckon.

As for the Tether glitch, at first I thought it would be caused by tethering beneath the ledge then cancelling the tether in the middle of the reeling in bit that normally snaps you to the ledge. But then I watched the vid again and it seems that what is actually happening is that the jump or double jump is being boosted by the tether latching on to the ledge and then cancelled almost immediately to retain this boost without the tether nullifying it. You still obviously need to tether beneath the ledge for this to work. I'd be interested to know if this works for Toon or if it's something specific to Samus and Link.

D

Deleted member

@ Fangblade Fangblade :As for the Tether glitch, at first I thought it would be caused by tethering beneath the ledge then cancelling the tether in the middle of the reeling in bit that normally snaps you to the ledge. But then I watched the vid again and it seems that what is actually happening is that the jump or double jump is being boosted by the tether latching on to the ledge and then cancelled almost immediately to retain this boost without the tether nullifying it. You still obviously need to tether beneath the ledge for this to work. I'd be interested to know if this works for Toon or if it's something specific to Samus and Link.[/USER]
I apologize for the stupid question, but how do you cancel the tether? I've been playing around with this with Samus and TL, and can't figure out how to do the glitch or cancel the tether besides pressing down. Pressing down would probably kill your upwards momentum, though.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Yeah you press down to cancel the tether. I'd stick with Samus and Link until we know exactly how to do it. All I can say is go back and look at the vid. It seems that it requires very specific timing by the looks of that Samus trying to do it over and over and then eventually getting it when there was no noticeable difference. You may be doing the right thing. Or I could be wrong as to how to do it. You could always ask FSK.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
Hmm just thought of something. Yeno how little macs Uspecial recovery has no Horizontal movement? If he was recovering low you could toss a bomb onto his head, and potentially gimp him. I'm gonna test this out nwxt time someone try's to CP me with this dude.

D

Deleted member

Hmm just thought of something. Yeno how little macs Uspecial recovery has no Horizontal movement? If he was recovering low you could toss a bomb onto his head, and potentially gimp him. I'm gonna test this out nwxt time someone try's to CP me with this dude.
I don't see why that wouldn't work, but that probably wouldn't be necessary since you can easily get off the stage to gimp him before then in most cases.

D

Deleted member

Woah, that thing with the hookshot in that gif looked neat. lol

Also, something I've been wondering for a while. Why do I see so many TLs approaching with sh nair instead of sh zair? Wouldn't zair make more sense since it goes farther, you can use it while holding a bomb, and it has less cool down time after the front hit?

Another question, I somehow keep ftilting when I mean to do a pivot grab. I've played around in training mode for a while, and can't seem to figure out why I usually end up ftilting instead of pivot grabbing. Any idea why this happens?

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
Woah, that thing with the hookshot in that gif looked neat. lol

Also, something I've been wondering for a while. Why do I see so many TLs approaching with sh nair instead of sh zair? Wouldn't zair make more sense since it goes farther, you can use it while holding a bomb, and it has less cool down time after the front hit?

Another question, I somehow keep ftilting when I mean to do a pivot grab. I've played around in training mode for a while, and can't seem to figure out why I usually end up ftilting instead of pivot grabbing. Any idea why this happens?
Sh Nair has more damage, knockback... I think it's a habit from Brawl more than anything. Doesn't work as well now.
Also if you don't Pivot+Grab at the same time, sometimes you will just end up pivoting, and pressing Grab which makes you Ftilt for some reason. The 3DS circle pad is a little odd, I make errors like this often.

D

Deleted member

Sh Nair has more damage, knockback... I think it's a habit from Brawl more than anything. Doesn't work as well now.
Also if you don't Pivot+Grab at the same time, sometimes you will just end up pivoting, and pressing Grab which makes you Ftilt for some reason. The 3DS circle pad is a little odd, I make errors like this often.
So there's no way to prevent accidental ftilting, then? Darn. Ftilting instead of pivot grabbing has been really annoying me and has even cost me the match in some cases, so I was hoping that maybe I was doing something wrong so I could fix it.

Also, two more random questions I just thought of:

1. I've found jumping to help with vectoring so I'm not as likely to get KO'd. Problem is, this ends up wasting my jump, so getting back to the stage after this can be very annoying. I remember in Brawl that you could use your fastest aerial to help with DI, so does anyone know if anything like this is present in SSB4? If there's a better alternative to jumping then that would be really helpful.

2. Is TL's dthrow good for anything? I can't seem to find a use for it. I usually use fthrow to either throw the opponent off the stage to gimp them or to dash attack into them afterwards (at low percents I haven't seen anything be able to escape this unless they're playing as someone really floaty like Jiggz), uthrow on BF and YI to get people on a platform so I can shark them, and bthrow for killing. I even sometimes find just grabbing and pummeling useful for mixing things up and surprising the opponent, but dthrow has been has since it puts the opponent behind you.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I approach with zair and then follow up with bombthrow or SH nair/bair usually.

Toon Link's dthrow is pretty balls now. At low % I use upthrow, and go for an uair or bair. Dthrow sends em too far away at a weird angle.

deech

Smash Cadet
I usually use two jabs into forward throw into projectile spam.
The extra spacing from forward throw allows me to get in a few extra hits with projectiles and it allows me to reset my mid-range spacing.

D

Deleted member

I was playing around on Japes with another TL main just now when I did that platform swinging thing on accident. I quit the match afterwards just to save the replay and everything, but I somehow ended up forgetting to save it, lol. But yeah, in that video it looks like you get it to work with Greninja's hydro pump, but it happened to me randomly without that. I wish I could get it to happen again, I've been trying for the past 15 minutes or so. I was thinking it was maybe from recovering from a certain distance while fast falling since I was fast falling when I did it, but it doesn't look like the TL was fast falling in that video. Oh well lol. Also, zair looks crazy when you're on the far end of one of Japes' platforms then zair towards the stage. If only our normal zair had that kind of insane range. :p

Mota

Hearing that hurts my heart.

It best be a troll otherwise we're screwed.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
I'm somewhat new to the finer points of Toon but I do have a question to ask:

How exactly do you set up killing moves with Toon Link best?

Mota

Couple set ups.

Zair > dash Usmash
Zair (optional) > bomb lag cancel throw > Fair/Uair

Bombthrow down, fish for an uair or intercept with fair.

Pressure with projectiles, go for pivot grab at the edge and kill with Back throw.

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
Couple set ups.

Zair > dash Usmash
Zair (optional) > bomb lag cancel throw > Fair/Uair

Bombthrow down, fish for an uair or intercept with fair.

Pressure with projectiles, go for pivot grab at the edge and kill with Back throw.
Also, I would like to add, trying going off stage and killing with fair, especially on light characters. It will kill them very early. Also bair is a very good gimping toll against characters with bad recoveries, especially if you want a fresh fair for latter.

D

Deleted member

I'm being told that the BLC isn't in smash Wii U. http://smashboards.com/threads/youv...-you-link-social.370194/page-11#post-17940695
Sadistic troll or cruel world? That remains to be seen.
I sure hope this isn't true. I'm not sure I'll be able to get SSBU, but if this is the case then I don't think I'll mind not being able to get it.

I usually get the opponent off the stage then toss projectiles to bait them into a fair or uair, bomb > usmash, or bomb/bait shield > bthrow.
:170:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Alas, all is lost.
So in regards to the item toss Landing-lag cancel:

Sorry, but Scizor is not a troll. Unfortunately, I can confirm it is true that the Wii U version doesn't have it. I went to a tournament last night in Toronto, one of the players got a copy of the game early (Nintendo has been giving some members of the community early copies up here in Canada, particularly members who have done a great service to their major smash communities. The only I can mention is Pidge, since she already made it public and posted a photo of her with the box on her FB profile). They let the participants play friendlies (8-player mode is balls to the wall chaotic, btw), but the conditions were we couldn't take video nor pictures of game footage to avoid getting in crap with Nintendo. Hence, I have no footage to show, and I also can't reveal anything besides character data.

I guess you'll all have to take our word for it, but I can confirm: Unfortunately, no item toss landing-lag cancel exists in Wii U. I dunno if the big N is planning to update this through an online update: they did say all the 3DS tactics would work in Wii U in the direct. But since the game isn't supposed to be officially released in NA yet, we'll have to wait and see whether this remains permanent or not.
I guess Toon mains may as well seriously consider using short fuse bombs as there is now no longer any down-side of not being able to abuse the BLC.

Edit: The good news is, as Shaya pointed out, Z-dropping without Zair is back, so that means ZAC and more importantly, everyone's favourite brawl tech, the Invincibomb is back in business.

Last edited:

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
With BLC still in, easy ZAC and invincibombing, we could've been so good. Sigh...this really didn't need patching...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So update 1.0.4 has been announced, which is supposed to be affecting actual gameplay causing old replays to no longer work, and apparently is going to make the gameplay the same as the Wii U's (haven't seen a source for this last one, though). Basically, it looks super likely that BLC is going to be removed even in the 3DS version. I really hope TL is going to be getting some kind of buff to make up for this, otherwise RIP TL. I'll still play as him no matter what happens, though, even if I am almost beginning to kick myself for having decided to switch to TL instead of staying with Pikachu.
:170:

Top Bottom