• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link General Information Discussion Thread

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
Do you know when the update is being released? I was just pondering whether I liked the InvinciBomb or BLC better and this happens!
On a different note, is anyone else having issues with the tether recovery? Usually when I'm above the stage and using it it doesn't extend towards the stage like I want it to lol.

D

Deleted member

Do you know when the update is being released? I was just pondering whether I liked the InvinciBomb or BLC better and this happens!
On a different note, is anyone else having issues with the tether recovery? Usually when I'm above the stage and using it it doesn't extend towards the stage like I want it to lol.
It's supposed to come out some time this month. And I actually have the opposite problem, where I keep ending up latching to the edge when I'm far above it and am trying to zair an opponent with more range on their aerials than TL has on his fair.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
At least you're not Zairing immediately off the stage, that's a sure way to SD trust me I know. How are you with Zair anyways? I can't pull it off consistently. My favorite approach of Usmash is getting a little stale...

D

Deleted member

At least you're not Zairing immediately off the stage, that's a sure way to SD trust me I know. How are you with Zair anyways? I can't pull it off consistently. My favorite approach of Usmash is getting a little stale...
I always have a hard time with it since when you use it in the jump depends on the opponent's height. I keep screwing it up against shorter characters because of it, then end up getting badly punished. I usually approach by using the boomerang or an arrow or bomb in order to bait a shield, then grab and come up with some follow-ups from there.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
I always have a hard time with it since when you use it in the jump depends on the opponent's height. I keep screwing it up against shorter characters because of it, then end up getting badly punished. I usually approach by using the boomerang or an arrow or bomb in order to bait a shield, then grab and come up with some follow-ups from there.
Yeah Greninja and the like are a real pain w/ their low posture. We'll have to play sometime, hopefully the lag wont be too bad, I'm in North America. I've been meaning to stop playing in Glory mode where there's so many scrubs, it's bad for my playstyle.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
What no BLC means for TL:

No SH Airdodge Zair BLC into followup.
No SH throw back recatch bomb with any aerial and BLC
No Tumble Cancelling
No SH Slight Charge Arrow into BLC camping
No Airdodge close to the ground Cancelling

The only way they could compensate for this ridiculous loss of options is honestly less landing lag in aerials and the old back air back. If TL is not buffed in any way to compensate i'll definetely be dropping him :/

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
It's a sad day for Toon Link.

Nintendo probably don't even know about these options. To them they're just patching up a bug that wasn't meant to be in the game in the first place. I don't see them reverting bair. Best I can dare hope for is more damage, but that wouldn't cut it.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I agree. BLC covered so many of the nerfs he was given, and now they'll all be coming back. Things like Bair being too slow, Dair not being able to pogo, Zair not being lagless, Arrows not being able to quickdraw- these things were fixed or didn't matter any more with the BLC. Can the i-bomb do this? Not to mention the other nerfs such as his Nair in general and the dismal damage output he has all around. He needed this tech. He was also hurt by its loss the most because of how we were able to use it and what we were able to get out of it (Peach being a close second).
They'd need to take away all (or at least most of) the other nerfs in order for Toon to be playable, but they won't do that. As far as I can tell, they're only interested in removing things they didn't intend to be there rather than changing their intentions and adding new content.

On a more personal note, I'm disappointed because it will mean that Toon is even closer to how he was in Brawl. I was ready for a change, nothing drastic like a complete character overhaul, just something to shake things up and make us adapt to something new, something that brought with it new discoveries and possibilities ect., and the BLC was exactly what I was after. Toon was probably the least changed character before the BLC came along. Already things seem more boring without it.

Last edited:

Yackabean

"He's shooting arrows out his butt" ~ Scotland
NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
Yes, Toon Link is as bland as ever without BLC. THIS tech made me genuinely hyped to play a new style with my favorite new combo of zair > BLC > fair kill.

All of it is going to be useless. Who knows, this person could be legitimately trolling or not know anything. Or the Wii U version they had was a somewhat 80% finished copy? Who knows... Maybe I'm just too hopeful. Without BLC though this is probably going to make me drop this game all together. I don't want to play an old superly nerfed toon link where rosalina now has an even better chance against us. All rush down characters are gonna have a god damn blast fighting us now without BLC.

Sakurai, or whoever is patching this, you are a gross person and I have no interest in smash 4 if this is gone. Yes, IZAC will be easier but setting it up isn't the easiest thing ever so I don't see it ever being toons B&B.

The new bread and butter was BLC, now it might be taken from us :/

Edir: also ibomb is going to be useless as hell with the new landing lag on airdodge mechanic, sorry to break it you guys. Maybe high in the air it'll still be good.

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
It's a real shame that BLC doesn't appear to be in the Wii U version, and maybe not even the 3DS version soon enough. I was just starting to get pretty good at implementing it into my gameplay. BLC made Toon Link's game faster paced and kept the match moving. Now I feel that certain match ups will definitely be more difficult for Toon Link to deal with. Who knows though? Maybe they'll buff him in future updates of the game. I just feel bad for those who put a lot of thought into developing this meta when it was first discovered. I'm still going to keep Toon Link as my number one go to main. My devotion to the character outweighs my disappointment at the loss of a great tech. I just hope we can find other good techs to use in the Wii U version as we move on.

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
omg BLC was the only reason i decided to main TLink....all the hours put into maining him....all in vain

mush21

Smash Rookie
Can anyone confirm that BLC has been removed? Or is this coming from a single person?

It's not like bllc made him top tier to begin with; tlink really relies on this tech to make him competitive, and without it he'd be a shell of what he currently is. What a (potential) shame. If that happens, I may go back to playing Link, unless he gets buffs in return.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
If you read around the boards, many people got the game early for various reasons and they've all been confirming that a whole bunch of stuff has been removed, the BLC being one of them. It's definitely gone.
Off the top of my head, other things that are also gone are Peach's ledge cancel turnip pull (obviously as well as her version of BLC, so she got hit pretty hard), Wario's vectoring glitch, Mega Man's rush cancel? (I could be wrong), Greninja's shadow sneak landing lag cancel, All of Yoshi's egg toss teleport stuff, Yoshi's custom down-b super jump glitch, and then there's a bunch of things like z-dropping without zairing that they're bringing back. The idea seems to be that they're bringing the game back to the way they had originally intended it to be.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I really hope they buff TL's spin attack, too. I've heard people say they noticed it seemed to go the same distance as Link's, and I play with a Link main a bit and our spin attacks did seem to go the same distance. I decided to test it a bunch, and it really does go the same distance as Link's, yet there's a tip in the game that says TL's spin attack goes farther (I know I've seen it on my game and I've seen it posted on the internet, but I'm looking through my tips and it's recycling the same ones about Yoshi and Luigi, so I can't find it), so I get the idea that TL's bad recovery wasn't intended. This is a bit of a large oversight, so it would be surprising if this weren't fixed. Z bomb drop being back + improved recovery would at least help a little bit with BLC being gone.
:170:

Last edited by a moderator:

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
NOT WARIO'S WECTORING!

Now he'll never be funny again... I'm glad it's not only Toon Link geting the nerf hammer but jesus christ this sucks in general. Feel so sad for peach mains...

mush21

Smash Rookie
That's really unfortunate to hear. BLC was a really fun mechanic and it made toon link pretty unique in his movement options/attack patterns. So, toon link headed to low tier?

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
Possibly, but I'm hopeful we can keep him high-mid tier again like in brawl.

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
I just came back from my very first tournament ever in the history of smash for me. I got 6 out of 50 and lost round 2 in the elimination round.

I mainly used TLink, and I will say that BLC was the ONLY reason i made it so far. I used it sooo many times in fights that if i didn't have it i would get bopped for sure. I mainly found myself using Dair > BLC > Fair and Zair > BLC > Fair. I used some other ones too, but not as much as these.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted....time to switch to Luigi/Marth

D

Deleted member

I just came back from my very first tournament ever in the history of smash for me. I got 6 out of 50 and lost round 2 in the elimination round.

I mainly used TLink, and I will say that BLC was the ONLY reason i made it so far. I used it sooo many times in fights that if i didn't have it i would get bopped for sure. I mainly found myself using Dair > BLC > Fair and Zair > BLC > Fair. I used some other ones too, but not as much as these.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted....time to switch to Luigi/Marth
TL could end up getting buffed at some point. Also, Luigi sucks too, and last I checked the Luigi boards were more dead than the dinosaurs, so you won't find any help with him unlike TL. You'd be better off with TL than Luigi at least at this point. But yeah, the game is still new and the Wii U version isn't out yet. It's way too early to give up on TL, especially after you put all that work into him.

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
Well I just done playing NAKAT in a $5 Money match. The deal was If I lost I sub to his twitch channel. If i win I receive £5.

But anyway, I lost 2-1. He said my toon link was insane and really good. I lost game 1 cause of his stupid KO punch lol, but I beat his diddy. however, I SD'd against his sheik last stock last game.

How did I do so well against a top smash 4 player baffled me, but bomb lag cancel is only half the reason why I did so well. Yes zair is made much better for zoning. But without it, We can still combo hard out of boomerangs and bombs. So fear not, we may stand a chance. But I warn us tinks. Shielding is going to be a god damn pain in the arse for us to deal with. So get used to using your new fast grabs.

(Or don't and keep Praying BLC isn't gone.)

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Well I just done playing NAKAT in a $5 Money match. The deal was If I lost I sub to his twitch channel. If i win I receive £5.

But anyway, I lost 2-1. He said my toon link was insane and really good. I lost game 1 cause of his stupid KO punch lol, but I beat his diddy. however, I SD'd against his sheik last stock last game.

How did I do so well against a top smash 4 player baffled me, but bomb lag cancel is only half the reason why I did so well. Yes zair is made much better for zoning. But without it, We can still combo hard out of boomerangs and bombs. So fear not, we may stand a chance. But I warn us tinks. Shielding is going to be a god damn pain in the arse for us to deal with. So get used to using your new fast grabs.

(Or don't and keep Praying BLC isn't gone.)
I thought NAKAT was a Ness player...?

That aside, while I have no idea how to do D-air BLC, it would not be useful considering the new update likely axing it. At least our grab's ending lag for when it misses isn't as horrendous as in Brawl, but it is still bad, so be careful.

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
I thought NAKAT was a Ness player...?

That aside, while I have no idea how to do D-air BLC, it would not be useful considering the new update likely axing it. At least our grab's ending lag for when it misses isn't as horrendous as in Brawl, but it is still bad, so be careful.
He has a lot of mains, Ness, Fox and Diddy are his regular chars I believe.

D

Deleted member

Just got 4th out of 8 in a tournament, and while that still isn't very good placement I would've been knocked out right away without the horizontal spin and fire arrows from customs being legal. It would've been harder without BLC, but I don't think it would've changed my placement. So yeah, if customs end up being legal on the 3DS (they definitely won't be legal onthe Wii U since set-ups would need every character's customs unlocked, which is obviously unreasonable), then I honestly think that'll be a bigger help to TL than BLC was. TL still has a chance of being viable at least on the 3DS version.

Last edited by a moderator:

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
It's unreasonable for the first one or two months, maybe, but after that not so much.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
BLC is officially version 1.0.3 exclusive lol. Also Invincibombing doesn't work, I've only managed to tether while dropping a bomb.

On totally random note, has anyone else noticed how unproportionately long Toon Links arm looks when he's crouching and holding a bomb?

Last edited:

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
Ww that does look slightly off lol, never noticed that before.

Lobos

Smash Master
Going to a tournament for smash 4 today on vgbootcamp's stream, dont know how ill do but I will be using TL more than the other chars I use.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
Going to a tournament for smash 4 today on vgbootcamp's stream, dont know how ill do but I will be using TL more than the other chars I use.
Good luck! It's not for 3DS is it? I'll probably check some of the matches out later.

Asa

Smash Hero
Not sure if anyone knows, but you can string short hop backairs still. You SH and the second you hit the ground buffer another jump into bair if you time it wrong you'll land with lag, but if you time it right you can bair string them across the stage. Unfortunately you can't do belated back air because if you wait that millisecond longer to catch an air dodge you'll land with lag. So bair, land and buffer another jump a bair again it's all timing. Works with nair too, but not fair and i didn't try up air yet. Also use zair to ledge trump people. when they go to recover zair and pull yourself up while they are grabbing the ledge then body them.

shadow1pj-

Last edited:

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
I knew Nair could be followed up by nairs in this game. I seem to catch certain people off a lot with a Bomb > Full hop Nair > Fast Fall Nair a lot. and I have managed to mix up with a double bair before but they have SO much time to recover and air dodge it. I'll try looking in to this anyway.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
Anyone have videos of really great Toon Links? I'm having trouble improving.

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
Don't think there's any "great" Toon Link's around yet. At least of a level where they are well known.
But there are some "experienced" Toon Link's around here like myself.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
If you're having trouble finding videos of Toon Link players, watching the random replays that you can find when you go to Spectate Mode in Smash 4 Online can be a good alternative. It'll let you pick which character you want to see replays of. Every once and a while, you might find a great Toon Link player doing stuff that you haven't even thought of. I actually just watched a really good Toon Link go against a Link using that mode. The Toon Link player actually spiked the Link player over the edge to end off the match. I thought that was pretty cool to see, as I don't yet have the guts to attempt such a thing. Try it sometime if you're interested.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
For the first time ever, I fought a Toon Link that didn't camp on for glory today!!

I'm genuinely surprised and shocked.

no offense to any toon link players out there.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
If you're having trouble finding videos of Toon Link players, watching the random replays that you can find when you go to Spectate Mode in Smash 4 Online can be a good alternative. It'll let you pick which character you want to see replays of. Every once and a while, you might find a great Toon Link player doing stuff that you haven't even thought of. I actually just watched a really good Toon Link go against a Link using that mode. The Toon Link player actually spiked the Link player over the edge to end off the match. I thought that was pretty cool to see, as I don't yet have the guts to attempt such a thing. Try it sometime if you're interested.
Mostly I find some good uses for Dair in the replay channel. Since most TL's tend to be keen on rolling/Dair it's hard to gleen strategies from them... I wonder if I can run into my own replays lol. It seem like they loop some of the replays, I've encountered several fights more than once.

Top Bottom