• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Match-up Video and Critique Thread

.SirLink.

Smash Cadet
That zss is good. I tend to grab my opponents when they think they can perfect shield my projectiles and approach me. Or I space a Nair to quickdraw. As an ex pit main I'm used to people approaching my spam. Also needs more Zair to Nair and adlib some Nair and bair combos.

Also don't think of your opponent as a brickwall. You can run through them and bair or just run through and camp, etc.

:phone:

KazeKun

Smash Apprentice
That zss is good. I tend to grab my opponents when they think they can perfect shield my projectiles and approach me. Or I space a Nair to quickdraw. As an ex pit main I'm used to people approaching my spam. Also needs more Zair to Nair and adlib some Nair and bair combos.

Also don't think of your opponent as a brickwall. You can run through them and bair or just run through and camp, etc.

Trust me, if it would be so easy, I would win easily.

When you attack her shield, you will get uptilt which comes out on frame 4 + stupid range. And if i near her, she can use her 1 framer jab to interrupt all my attacks. My fastet attack comes out on frame 6 Jab. And if you try to spam, she will powershield everything. Also she will punish your startups at Spamming. To play here Keep Away should be very effective if you are good on it. Normally i´m not bad, so take a look at my other videos, then you will see that i use nair to quickdraw etc. but she is very annoying. Main Problems is Closerange + if you hit her shield you will get an uptilt or Jab.

I dont get it, how to play against her... its really annoying.

.SirLink.

Smash Cadet
Lol all that talk of frames and stuff ._.
ibombing may help. bomb her shield then nair catch. pivot grab her. avoid her kill moves. Idk i go with the flow. I really want to face this zss now.

southpaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4442-0022-4229
oh tl's frame data...

zss is a tough char. dair in general isn't that useful in the mu vs zss since she can beat it with up-b. You can't hit zss's shield safely from close range at all. zss usually gains a % advantage at the start from suit pieces and there is no set strategy to counter it, cuz it always depends on how they play. When zss is walking towards you and poweshielding throw a bomb since no one ever powershields that and use that window to attack or get away. Not much else to say, you lost that match because you played impatiently and tried to force the kill after losing first stock.

Try to get her in the air because our bair is amazing vs her, bombs go through her lasers, she will use side-b to beat the start up of your projectiles. When camping zss, since she is fast you really need to pay attention to what she is doing and where do you think she will be vs the usual throw a bunch of projectiles and try to cover all options or just shoot stuff in their path because we can outrun them when they get close.

ShadowTl

Smash Apprentice
If she beats you close-range, then just don't come there. It's hard to keep zss away, but you don't even try it. A lot of times you have the distance and then you just run in with an up smash, not spaced bair or even a boomerang. Try to keep a distance between yourself and zss, try to keep her away with spaced nairs and zairs.

archer.

Smash Lord
Excuse me while I turn into Mekos.

Just in general in doubles, if you're Toon Link then it's your job to NOT directly fight anyone if you don't have to. Play a keep away game, hold stocks, look for opportunities to follow up on your partner's actions (be that team combos, shield pressure, etc.), and keep an eye out for when your partner needs help.

That last part is crucial, so I'll give you a few early examples of when you could have done it. At about 0:30 your partner starts getting hit by Zelda's dtilt over and over. You were in perfect position to punish (literally right beside Zelda) and get your partner out of it, but you let it happen, focusing on Falco the entire time, and eventually your partner just dies, with no punish on Zelda from you at all. Not long after that, your partner is getting chaingrabbed by Falco. Again, you are in perfect position to stop this, but you let it happen and he takes way more damage than he should have. Looking out for situations like this will save your team from A LOT of potential damage, and set the other team up for taking a lot of damage themselves.

Lastly, if you need help with ANYTHING, don't be afraid to just tell your partner to come help you, and make sure your partner knows that they can ask you for help too.

southpaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4442-0022-4229
stopped watching when you let ur partner get dtilted over 5 times while standing next to zelda.

and thanks fino for the uploads

KT Kasrani

Smash Champion
yea dont be afraid to say help me or anything. also snake and tl is a great team. snake should be just GOING IN. i mean really goin in and u just sit back and play support and hold stocks.

MJG

Smash Hero
stopped watching when you let ur partner get dtilted over 5 times while standing next to zelda.

and thanks fino for the uploads
Pretty much this. Think of it this way though. When you are playing your opponent during singles, you see how your projectiles are positioned on the field and make your decisions from there. When you are doing this, you have to keep your eyes on your projectiles and your opponent. This is basically the same case with doubles. You need to be able to watch everything at all times and if you can do that, your partner won't be getting locked when they are right next to you.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
Ya that should be a priority
Helping your teammate from getting locked or chaingrabbed

But its not all on you quest your teammate should of yelled for help as well at least

southpaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4442-0022-4229
always carry a bomb and land with zair to jc runaway throw bomb works wonders to keep away from them. only land near icies if you have a bomb in hand/a bomb bouncing on their shield or at least a boomerang returning. TL has to run and stay safe at all costs, its the only way he does well. sh retreating nair is a really good tool in the mu. I could write pages on this mu, but I won't.
u need to use boomerang way more in general

didnt watch u vs kirby but kirby is hard give up

MJG

Smash Hero
lol Atomsk is pretty good at that MU.

0:58 was a pretty good boomerang to prevent you from being gimped/taking more damage

I think that you might have been able to get a string going around 3:30 if you did "Airdodge to Zair" from the ledge. I am not too sure since the stars might have stopped you though.

Overall, I felt like you did a good job of playing keep away/mixing it up during that match. Just gotta out play him if you plan on beating him when you meet him again in bracket.

I've seen the set twice and I can't really find anything to pick apart. You played the set solidly.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
You rushed the kill sometimes vs mr r. Usmashing at 89% is generally a bad idea (unless your opponent is jigglypuff). Last stock first match you tried usmashing him like twice in a row at 105% and 110% and I don't think it would have even killed. too early/too random of a time to approach

You were airdodging a lot too... around 3:34:01 you airdodged when you didn't have a bomb and were above him. He hit you repeatedly and basically you died because of it. There were a few times when you could have zaired but you just airdodged into the ground instead and he hit you. At the ledge you did the same thing like 20 times...airdodging into his aerials or his grab. A couple times you tried jumping from the ledge and doing aerials and he uaired you . You have to surprise him somehow (maybe try bomb planking first since this works well vs marth). so...mix it up more at the ledge. Match 1 there was a time when you did three rolls in a row and he ended up DBing you...marth can almost always punish rolling with DB/fair/pivot grab/retreating nair etc.

At the end of match 2 you ran off the edge to try and hit him and ended up dying because of it. You shouldn't challenge marth offstage...be more careful when recovering, too, since he gimped/killed you a lot when you were offstage. Try iBomb > run away cross-up boomerang when he's chasing you in the air. It's super effective vs marth. Hope this helps.

southpaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4442-0022-4229
@mjg
vs Mr R
watch spacing while getting off the ledge. jump ad's are easily punished when marth is at
fsmash spacing away from the ledge jump fairing all day. either wait for him to get impatient and stand closer to the ledge so you can try to cross-up a landing or wait for the platform for an extra option.

Lost game1 and mainly got dmg from trying to get back to the stage solely. which i think can be
potentially impossible, but in general ridiculously hard. the trap that got u baired is a dumb
50/50 where u try to go high you get baired go low and edge-guarded anyways. oh game2 he does it
again and u ad low so he punishes with counter. there you go.

game3 stock1 u did a good job getting off the ledge but then u had nowhere to go and he beat ur just stand and shield option, windmill didnt help.

How you lost for mr R is how I don't see this mu is even, and is what I don't know wut to do against either.
I feel like once marth grabs the edge from tl and you have to recover to the ledge/stage its over. his ledge drop aerials outrange our sweet spot, hes got bair to beat us going over, and counter when we go low. Else I feel like you played the mu well, getting under marths fairs and punishing with bairs, great mixups, but he punished a lot of ur ad's cuz ur afraid of his fair or uair and kept u trapped from there on.

vs ally
I'm sorry to me it looks like ally is just playing super aggro blindly dashing in over and over again because he knows he can vs trying to get around ur projectiles. I remember watching him do it with snake too. Its like he knows in the long run he will still win even tho he takes all this dmg from projectiles.

Top Bottom