• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Match-up Video and Critique Thread

NH Cody

Smash Champion
I have some matches from a tourney i went to last weekend and I'd like it if anyone could give me some feedback.

http://no.twitch.tv/crimsonchild/b/323193936

0:25:00 : moneymatch against a mk
0:37:00 : moneymatch against a diddy.
You should be running away and camping more. There were dozens of times when you approached unnecessarily. Around 59:27 you were making a few bad move choices like throwing out an SH uair and spotdodging. He wasn't even close to kill %s. In addition, you must camp smarter. It's unsafe to run towards your opponent with an approaching SH boomerang because he or she can shield it and punish with an aerial. Don't use smash attacks at low %s...wait until your opponent is in kill range (usually starting around 120 or so). I'm sad you weren't able to gimp him at around 59:42.

You have some good projectile mix-ups but I think you could improve your projectile control in general. The metaknight player was able to gimp you because you didn't cover yourself with projectiles. At 34:13 you should have thrown a boomerang to prevent him from edgehogging. A similar gimp occurred at around 34:47 when you could have averted the situation by doing several things, such as iBombing the shuttle loop, throwing a boomerang down instead of up-B-ing, or throwing a boomerang up when you were below him.

*Match-up Specific Stuff*
Vs Diddy: work on landings...this is crucial because if you're not careful he will combo you with bananas. You landed with zair a lot vs Schwa...I would say it's better to land with a bomb throw if he is far away from you and has a banana - that way if he throws a banana it won't hit you. bombs > bananas. Ground-level boomerangs are pretty good vs diddy for punishing his landings.
Vs MetaKnight: You had the most trouble offstage (understandable). Carry a bomb when recovering and cover the ledge with a boomerang if you have time to throw it. iBomb could have saved you from being gimped in several situations...for example, 29:04 was a perfect time to iBomb.

*General Analysis*
You know what to do in general. You definitely have the basics down. I think you should work on execution. That means fix the little errors such as not pulling bombs at the height of your jump, throwing projectiles while approaching, and randomly bairing in the wrong direction. 57:44 was a good read. You have good moments but then you do unsafe stuff like falling uair and random dairs. 28:56 was one unwise uair that ultimately cost you a stock. Overall, I would say less bair, less uair, fewer smash attacks, less approaching, TONS more camping, more spacing with zair, and more nair. Hope this helps.

Hyro

Smash Lord
I'll watch them once I get home. Team with me for that big louisiana tourney in December ! Bomber is hosting it I think

:phone:
Bout it!

Tourney was fun. I miss the competitiveness of it. And the drugs...when I'm high I feel like I'm a boxer lol

Thebest1pj

Pinnacle of Projectile Placement.

MJG

Smash Hero
I thought you had game 1 from the start of the game. Comebacks are possible in brawl tho. I thought you were playing pretty well on your first and second stock on the first game. After you lost your 2nd stock, you started to progressively play too passive against wolf. You want to do what you did during the first two stocks, which is too spam wolf while approaching. The end of game translated into game 2 and that is why i believe that you lost. You proved that you could do it at the start. Remember to stick to the game plan. The better player will almost always make their opponent play their game. And play confident and have fun:). Also, it's best to try and combo wolf as well since he is one of the easier characters to juggle in this game.

Don't challenge bair . Wolfs bair outranges ours. If wolf has his back facing you when he is in the air, retreat with bair, run underneath wolf and bair wolf (best option at low percentages) or regain stage control, throw a bomb up or at wolf and you can also shield the last bair and just grab wolf afterwards. This should work as well ( as long as the wolf player doesn't know how to use spot dodge to time it so that we whiff a grab). Bair and nair OoS won't get the job done. Wolf can just put up his shield once he lands. Once you take the first stock, it's best to steer away from the "spam wolf while approaching " strat and focus more on staying close to the center of the stage . This does two things for TL. It makes it so that we can chill out and wait for wolf to mess up so that we can juggle/punish and you can just wait in shield and let wolf grab you (instead of gettin hit). Wolf players will usually use down throw since it will put their opponents in favorable positions for wolf but TL can just hold down and tether the ledge .

Can't think of anything else. Wrote a lot for being on my itouch lol

:phone:

ShadowTl

Smash Apprentice
I'm not very good at both mu's so can't help you at that point. Maybe aircamp more vs falco, you got a lot of your own projectiles in your face because of the reflector. I try to be on the sv platform a lot in this mu and throw stuff from the air.

There are some habits you could work on.
Everytime you land you'll do a airdodge, zair or ibomb. Maybe you could mix this up with a bair or a nair sometimes to scare him into his shield.
And everytime you have a bomb in your hands and you're close to your opponent, you will ibomb. Short hop ibomb can be a good mixup but it's really easy to punish when they expect it. Bloodcross just shielded every time you were close with a bomb and punished your airdodge after that.

At 2:50 you could have savely zaired the edge because bloodcross was doing a f smash, but you waited and did an up b. By that time bloodcross was done with his f smash and he hit you on your up b.

ShadowTl

Smash Apprentice
A few random things about this mu that you could do better:

- Use a lot of bairs against wario, he can't really do anything against that excpet shielding. Just wait for wario to aproach and then sh double bair. Most wario's will wait for an opening at zair range, but don't use sh zair to hit him there because that's pretty slow and obvious and it gives wairo the opening he needs. Instead of that throw bombs at him in that position.
- Don't throw your boomerang the normal way but wait until wario goes into the air and then throw it upwards.
- You'll never get an air-release against a good wario so don't try that.
- Be carefull offstage against wario. His fart> our up b, so this can be an easy kill for wario. At some time you planked against wario, he just went offstage and farted you.

You also used sh fair > arrow cancel as spacing too. It's a lot better to use sh nair as spacing, fair isn't good for that, the only time i use it is for killing and maybe as follow up after a bomb. And in this mu it's better to use bair ofcourse, but mixups with nair can help.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
and in the vid
from 5:18 to 5:35
was all unnecessary damage
the ledge is not one of toon links strong areas
hes has very few safe options there

archer.

Smash Lord
It's not a true combo, plus up-b is extremely easy to get out of with SDI, and you're very easily punished for it. If you're gonna use jab at all to try and get out of tight spaces, you might as well use all three hits of it.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
ya that was probably a bit much on my part my bad
but i still do not recommend doing it a lot or even at all

and btw i can't record vids atm does anyone record replays?
i have a couple that i would like critiqued :D

Btmns

Smash Rookie
Can anyone recommend a video cap device for me?
Planning to start recording my fails so people can tell me why i'm bad.

MJG

Smash Hero
Please tell me why im so bad :D
Just from watching it myself i know i need to be more careful spacing boomerangs

Vs Wario
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44LUTbrAphs&feature=plcp

Vs Sheik
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN44l2Eu7gY&feature=plcp

Vs MK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdCqkbTOinA&feature=plcp
General analysis from the vids: More bair and spaced nair and zair against wario. Boomerang helps influence wario's movement as well. Try not to get off stage against wario when he has a fart. TL is really susceptible to that move off stage. Bair back on stage to avoid waft.

Sheik: Anticipate sheik running to you and bait sheiks movements. Its the best way to go about fighting sheik since she can punish your bomb pulls and other projectiles fairly easy because of her speed. Combo the **** out of her.

MK is hit or miss. Mix up the recovery options and bait MK on stage. Its really the best thing to do since MK has so many options that can shut TL down.

Top Bottom