• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Match-up Video and Critique Thread

CTX

Smash Journeyman
Uhm, don't team with a Toon Link. It's hard to give a critique of a team's match because you have to play according to your team-mate. Toon Link is a support/stock character and two of those type of characters on the same team isn't great. Forces you to try and do things you wouldn't normally do or is best at doing. I dunno, I'm not very good at critiquing team's matches. :(

MaskedAvnger

Smash Journeyman
If you guys are ever playing against xyro again, I would try to keep more pressure on him moreso than the peach player. Peach can't really camp AS hard as samus, and samus' close game isn't near as good as peach's. If you keep the pressure on xyro, you'd see his stocks disappear faster. You guys did really good at the beginning of both matches, it just seemed like you started to get overwhelmed near the end of both of them.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
I think double TL is a good team :cool:

When I team with a different character, they approach and get hit by my projectiles, but when I team with TL they can camp just like I do, or approach when I do

Thebest1pj

Pinnacle of Projectile Placement.
If you guys are ever playing against xyro again, I would try to keep more pressure on him moreso than the peach player. Peach can't really camp AS hard as samus, and samus' close game isn't near as good as peach's. If you keep the pressure on xyro, you'd see his stocks disappear faster. You guys did really good at the beginning of both matches, it just seemed like you started to get overwhelmed near the end of both of them.
Yea would have won on fd if i hadnt SDed

MaskedAvnger

Smash Journeyman
just watched the set against mikehaze. marth's ledge game is obnoxious.

I think more ibomb would've been effective in getting him off of you when he was up close, on stage. follow it up with a bair and he's off your back for a couple seconds.

on the ledge, I really dunno what else you could do beyond everything you were trying.

Hyro

Smash Lord
MJG you're really good at this game, you just need to realize that and stop hesitating. Play confidently and keep putting out safe hitboxes, no more spotdodging and holding shield. Shield only for split seconds then attack. And remember you don't have to start playing aggressive when you're losing, especially you personally since your camp game is too good.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
i think you played pretty good (your style is a little similar to mine XD) like how you were mixed it up with Zair > dsmash, and some mindgames with your projectiles
but a couple things i would say is

try not to hang around the edge. if pits Bair were to land that would either kill Toon Link or put him in a bad situation (if you don't tech)

going offstage against pit is kinda of risky too. (your last stock was a gimp, those WoI have stupid pushback <_<)

and i really would try and capitalize if a pit puts himself in situation like at 0:29 that could have been a solid gimp. Throw whatever it takes!!

a technique that i think is really useful cause its a mind game in itself is the ZAC.
i play a really good pit from time to time and when he thinks im going to throw a bomb i just ZAC right in to Nair. and you should learn to catch bombs with air dodge so you can instant bomb throw

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Yeah...what suarez said, and

your move choices were really weird. Like the whole match I thought in my head what move I would use next if I was the toon link on the screen, and then you used some completely unexpected move and I was like...o_O

I guess that could be a good thing, but then there were times when it was just weird and you just spammed hitboxes that wouldn't hit. Like when you were offstage and z dropped a bomb when you knew Pit was onstage. I don't know, I just think it would have been better if you just held it and threw it later or did something else with it. Dropping it offstage was just...odd :I

But like I said your weird move choices are good in a way because your opponent won't be expecting them XD So just try stuff as long as you see it's working and doesn't get you punished. A lot of times you would approach and get punished when you could just stand back and pull out a bomb (especially when you see you have a minute to do so when he's under the stage going to the other ledge). And remember you can't FF QD nair, so pick either FF or QD (you tried it and it didn't work lol).

And try other stuff like iBombing, pivot grabbing, using boomerangs and arrows with a bomb in hand, BCATs, RQSs, and more aggro camping. More aerials out of bomb hitstun I would say.

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
Against DDD:
Don't get grabbed. You took loads of damage after that first grab.
Don't go offstage. He gimps you with his Bair.

In General:
Try out a couple mixups.
eg. Zair -> Zair.
Camp harder.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
I'd like some advice on my TL. I've been playing him a for few months, he's really fun and I'd like to get better with him. :) Here's a vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5VfupgT5zw
Too much boomerang. Use all three projectiles with this in mind: Bombs>rang>arrows. Mix up more, stop always flinging a rang when ur offstage, mix it up, more zair. You also must pay more attention to returning rang. You missed an usmash opportunity.

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
I would say pull out a bomb, and keep it if necessary.

It doesn't happen often, but you can save a stock when the bomb explodes and gives you back UpB.

Arrow is a pretty good choice. If your boomerangs out already.

Air dodge is good too. It beats DDD bair. Against a really good hogger though you could just save your jump, take the hit, DI it upwards, and jump + UpB over them back onto the stage.

Otherwise I would say sword aerials aren't a great option. We don't have very much range. Anyway, if you hit them, they take 10~20%. If they hit you, you DIE.

CTX

Smash Journeyman
Air dodging isn't the best option actually. Some players just bait air dodges and then you are completely screwed.

Always try to have a bomb out when recovering though.
That second stock, when you couldn't recover...your mistake was not pulling out a bomb as your first move after being knocked off stage. Also, pay attention to your opponents habits after you z-air them. Mid match he started to instinctively shield after you z-air'ed him. Try following up with some grabs to make him break that habit and allow for a deadlier follow up to get a kill on dedede

You made the adjustment mid-match to camp harder and that was a great decision. Although he never really did it, if a Dedede ever throws a waddle-de, you can run underneath the thrown waddle and punish. Just a tip.

~TLK~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toonlinkking777
i-bomb is always a good stragegy. like mjg said, players will bait the airdodge and then punish. but if u have a bomb in hand and do the ibomb you can screw them up and if your lucky you may be able to pull out a uair and finish them off then.

Another thing i like to do is you my chain at people when trying to recover as not only can you do an airdodge but if it is baited you can still attack. it has great range and can make coming back much easier.

~TLK~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toonlinkking777
lol thanks. ive been playing brawl since launch but finally decided to come to Smashboards and show my stuff xD.

CTX

Smash Journeyman
I am assuming all of those z-airs in the wrong direction, while a bomb was in your hand, were failed attempts at JC throwing. Work on that. Also, you seemed tooo anxious to get the kill. A lot of hyphen smashes were employed. Work on set-ups and being more creative when going for the kill. Also work on follow-ups after z-air (grabbing, n-airing, z-airing again, etc). Lrn2SDI outta robs shenanigans (u-air, d-smash) and camp harder against him. A couple of times I saw you z-drop and then airdodge. Work on i-bombing. Overall, decent projectile game when employed, just work on switching up and using variance when applying it

Ic0slay3r

Smash Apprentice
I am assuming all of those z-airs in the wrong direction, while a bomb was in your hand, were failed attempts at JC throwing.

Yeah those zairs in the wrong direction were all failed attempts, I don't normally have problem with them, but in that first fight I messed up a lot. How can I SDI out of robs "shenanigans", cause I normally try SDI out of the up-air to the sides but it never works and I don't know what to do against the d-smash.

MJG

Smash Hero
When he said relax ends today, he meant he is no longer using the tag because of the new changes that are going to be happening to his TL.

Like I said before, jerm and I are gonna do some work in the future.

EDIT: @ Hyro: I will keep that in mind. Time to bring the gayness back :)

NH Cody

Smash Champion
I think you went for the kill too early, and then made it really obvious when you tried to kill. Keep up the projectile pressure even in kill %s so your opponent won't expect it.

Also be more consistent with QDs and learn to reverse QD, that way you can do stuff like bair FF reverse QD, instead of just double retreating bair, and run away SH bomb pull reverse QD.

/coming from someone who uses a LOT of arrows xD

CTX

Smash Journeyman
Not enough full hop. You got painfully predictable at times. A lot of SH non-FF'ed z-air at close/mid-range. Against a character that is as small and fast as pikachu, they just have to run underneath and hyphen smash you. Just switch it up more, bro. And be more confident!

And switch up what you do after you land an initial b-air. Learn to b-air to footstool to d-air so you can punish an opponents SDI. Plus its a Smexy combo

~TLK~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toonlinkking777
that was a really good set jerm. also that gave me some new ideas on how to deal with tornado spam i think.

Top Bottom