• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Stage Counter Picks/Bans {BOWSER!}

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
Howdy :)
Hope to see you at the next tourney, was fun playing with ya.
I think yoshi story is and in my experience norfair are good cp. Yoshi story you don't need to wory about him hovering over the ghost. Just go out there while he is hovering and hit him with nair or fair. throw projectiles. etc.

Phase

Smash Apprentice
I play a very skilled g&w main almost daily (i main tl btw :D) and the only things ive noticed that give him trouble once in a while is the ledges on yoshi's and lylat. with yoshi's sometimes when he drops and jumps up for a recovery the level causes him to get stuck which can sometimes give me enough time to gimp him... lylats... well we all know how bad that ledge is and once in a while i can gimp him there as well when he trys to up b recover. if for whatever reason any of these were banned or already played i would just go to neutral and do my best

As for people who are saying rainbow cruise and corneria are bad stages, i do hate those stages but if your a tl player and get cp'd with one of these stages just lure your opponent to either of the ledges on corneria when they are at low % (preferably 20 or less) and dodge downsmash them for a fun gimp... you can do the same on rainbow cruise, mostly during the ship part of the stage. you can do it on either side but the left his a lot harder to do and i dont believe its instant kill... and on any other part of the stage if you just linger far off to the left while the stage is moving right you can dsmash them off into their certain doom as well all though its alot more risky seeing as how your lingering out there as well and he could easily just throw down him dsmash.... which is ridiculously fast and spamable

Santi

Smash Lord
Hylian needs to get over here and tell us what to ban
=)

BAN CORNERIA!!!!

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Wow I had no idea Corneria was legal at tournies lol. Doesn't the wall constitute as a DDD/dtilt infinite?
Don't forget Fox's shine.

But yes. It is a counterpick in some regions. I think my region just went super conservative and banned it not too long ago.

Santi

Smash Lord
Yep its legal down here.

GW is nasty with his Dtilt lock and he can kill super early off the top.
Not to mention bucket kills.

*shivers*

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Toon Link Dtilt lock is win.

P=

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
A good GaW should go toe to toe with a good TL....

Either way, ban RC/Corneria. I personally did worst against Lobos when the match went to Yoshi's Island (Brawl). I found approaching very difficult with the layout of the stage..

GaW's ledgecamping is dangerous at that level though, so if you fear that then do NOT go here.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Haha man toon Link ***** Game and Watch so much. It pains me everytime when I have to slash a good one :(.
Uh..what? GW vs TL is even. Easily.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
For future reference: Does ganondorf have any good stages in the first place? >_>

Chip.

you know what to do
Haha poor Game and Watchsies :(. I'm so glad toon Link ***** him :laugh:. On topic though, as cocky as this may sound, I don't ever have to counterpick stage against a GnW because I've never lost a single match to one. Ever. I also don't think I've ever banned a stage against GnW including stages such as Rainbow Cruise, Frigate, etc. etc. :).

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I'm just waiting on account of that.

But regardless, I'll put something together tomorrow. ^_^

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Haha poor Game and Watchsies :(. I'm so glad toon Link ***** him :laugh:. On topic though, as cocky as this may sound, I don't ever have to counterpick stage against a GnW because I've never lost a single match to one. Ever. I also don't think I've ever banned a stage against GnW including stages such as Rainbow Cruise, Frigate, etc. etc. :).
I'm sorry you don't have experience against any good GW players but that doesn't constitute your belief that TL destroys GW. Using personal experience as evidence unless it's against top players is scrubbish.

Chip.

you know what to do
I'm sorry you don't have experience against any good GW players but that doesn't constitute your belief that TL destroys GW. Using personal experience as evidence unless it's against top players is scrubbish.

It's quite sad actually to see a good Game and Watch try and "fight" a good toon Link...

Almost as sad as seeing Game and Watch mains come in and try and call the matchup even :laugh:.

I also must correct you. I actually have played a good Game and Watch; the best on the West Coast :). Valdens, who was previously ranked #3 and is currently ranked #2 on the WA PR, is an extraordinary Game and Watch player well known for dominating much of the competition in the Pacific Northwest and is the only person who goes even with and beats the #1 ranked player in the state, Jem. Even I can't do that =(. I'm not really sure how anyone can't call him a top player on the West Coast and a really great player all around :dizzy:.

Yet, I've never lost a match to him in tournament for the past 6 or so sets I've played him in. The only other top players I know of who haven't lost to him in a set yet are DSF and t0mmy.

This is also funney - I searched your name vs toon Link on youtube and these were the results

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKX6VUwZNXk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcYTsUPHJ_Q

You insult my personal experience vs GaW when you yourself get annhilated by a toon Link from Texas? Get *****?

I'm sure you're a good player but don't be so pretentious and don't feel insulted when I say toon Link ***** Game and Watch; it's just an opinion. Good day sir :).

Edit - Also, any and all Game and Watch players should come to I.E. Smash Regional Jan. 3rd! It's going to be awesome and we'd love to have you here :cool:.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It's quite sad actually to see a good Game and Watch try and "fight" a good toon Link...

Almost as sad as seeing Game and Watch mains come in and try and call the matchup even :laugh:.

I also must correct you. I actually have played a good Game and Watch; the best on the West Coast :). Valdens, who was previously ranked #3 and is currently ranked #2 on the WA PR, is an extraordinary Game and Watch player well known for dominating much of the competition in the Pacific Northwest and is the only person who goes even with and beats the #1 ranked player in the state, Jem. Even I can't do that =(. I'm not really sure how anyone can't call him a top player on the West Coast and a really great player all around :dizzy:.

Yet, I've never lost a match to him in tournament for the past 6 or so sets I've played him in. The only other top players I know of who haven't lost to him in a set yet are DSF and t0mmy.

This is also funney - I searched your name vs toon Link on youtube and these were the results

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKX6VUwZNXk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcYTsUPHJ_Q

You insult my personal experience vs GaW when you yourself get annhilated by a toon Link from Texas? Get *****?

I'm sure you're a good player but don't be so pretentious and don't feel insulted when I say toon Link ***** Game and Watch; it's just an opinion. Good day sir :).

Edit - Also, any and all Game and Watch players should come to I.E. Smash Regional Jan. 3rd! It's going to be awesome and we'd love to have you here :cool:.
Hahaha. Valdens isn't the best GW on the West Coast, Leepuff is. I don't consider Valdens a top GW player at all. He hasn't done anything against well known players, only in his state. I knew you would bring him up as well.

It's pretty halrious that you would bring up Santi considering he's probably better then you and I've only lost to him once in tournament(Those videos). Every single other time I've played him I've won. 2-0 in every other set we have played IIRC. I'll excuse your ignorance though.

Oh, I also don't consider Jem to be a top player. Maybe you should try being more objective about it and realize there is a world outside of Washington and in that world GW goes even with TL. Stop basing everything off of your own experiences.

If you do ever decide to travel I would love to MM you and show you how GW is supposed to approach the match-up. You should go to Genisis or COT4. Or FC if there is another one. I would also love to see Valdens go to a california tournament and place there when the good cali players are present.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
This is what PMs are for? ^_^;

Game and Watch is done. Honestly, it was a little hard writing this one. =/

Onto Ganondorf.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Like VG said Rainbow Cruise...FD, other stuff without close sides...
Ban everything with low celiengs and close sides...like corniera and Yoshi's Island (melee)
So on and so fourth...

TP

Smash Master
Ganondorf loves flat surfaces for Thunderstorming. He sucks on Lylat due to that and the edges. I don't have much experience on Rainbow Cruise, but I don't see anything good about it. The ship part would be fine, but he is too sluggish to succeed on most of the stage. Ganon loves Delfino; the platforms are far enough apart that he can use his aerials without them interfering, but the platforms also help him against your projectiles, and water will not stop a Ganon spike. A Ganoncide through the acid or lava in Norfair or Brinstar will usually only kill you and leave Ganon alive, so he likes them. Ganons best stage is Pirate Ship, but it is usually banned anyway.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
Luigi's mansion takes away most of Fox's spam game. The walls provide cover from the blaster and will give you time to pull out bombs safely. The ceiling in the lower layer of the house makes makes killing for Fox much harder. His Usmash can't kill unless he breaks down some of the house. If he does, break the rest of the house so it comes back up. The high ceilings also make it harder for Fox to kill with his Usmash.
Luigi's Mansion (for fox) is in the "BAN" category. From your writing it sound like you meant too put it as a CP. You also mentioned Usmash twice (unless I did a bad quote)

For ganon, FD is always good for spamming projectiles. The ledges can sometimes screw over his recovery if he is put in a bad spot.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Oh, thanks for catching that! ^_^

Fixed it.

@HomE

Smash Ace
Anything that isnt completly flat (like Dutchman said) will **** up Ganons Thunderstorms, thats really annoying..

any big stage without platforms will hurt Ganon alot.

avoid small stages with platforms.

Chip.

you know what to do
Hahaha. Valdens isn't the best GW on the West Coast, Leepuff is. I don't consider Valdens a top GW player at all. He hasn't done anything against well known players, only in his state. I knew you would bring him up as well.
Oh, I totally forgot about Leepuff. I should probably rephrase that saying Valdens is one of the best Game and Watches on West Coast :laugh:. Valdens is a top GW player, you wouldn't know since you've never played him yourself. He has done well against great players across the West Coast and a good handful are in WA. Jem, Bladewise, Eggz, Kamaji, Deva, and others are all very good players in Washington who have traveled to Cali and/or Oregon before and placed well and have done well in those states.

It's pretty halrious that you would bring up Santi considering he's probably better then you and I've only lost to him once in tournament(Those videos). Every single other time I've played him I've won. 2-0 in every other set we have played IIRC. I'll excuse your ignorance though.
Oh yes. The #10 ranked toon Link from Texas has to be better than me because it's not like I haven't won tournaments in WA, OR, and got 25th at Axis out of 300 players. It's fine if you don't think I'm the best toon Link, because I've never heard of you before so I don't care for your opinion, but go ask DSF, HugS, Edrees, t0mmy, Eggz, BladeWise, Jem, and other players on West Coast I've played and they'll tell you differently :).

Yeah, I'll take a stab in the dark here and assume that was your guy's most recent set? Were all those other sets before that one like in the summer or before or something (I could be wrong though)? A most recent set is more important since most people weren't even that good during the summer and were starting to get better haha.

Oh, I also don't consider Jem to be a top player. Maybe you should try being more objective about it and realize there is a world outside of Washington and in that world GW goes even with TL. Stop basing everything off of your own experiences.
Jem 3-0d DSF first set in Grand Finals at GC:N and lost 3-1 next set. It's fascinating how you call me ignorant, yet you try and base how good people are off of nothing and formulate opinions of how good they are when you've never played them before. I love how pretentious you are being.

I highly suggest you take your own advice and stop basing everything off your own personal experiences. Once I see you stop getting ***** by a mediocre toon Link player then your arguement might be little more credible and better worth reading.

If you do ever decide to travel I would love to MM you and show you how GW is supposed to approach the match-up. You should go to Genisis or COT4. Or FC if there is another one. I would also love to see Valdens go to a california tournament and place there when the good cali players are present.
Toon Link ***** Game and Watch.

And I have a better idea.

Also, any and all Game and Watch players should come to I.E. Smash Regional Jan. 3rd! It's going to be awesome and we'd love to have you here :cool:.
:laugh:

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Uh..what? GW vs TL is even. Easily.
And you aren't using personal experience here?
I've watched a lot of Toon Link vs G&W matches. I'm convinced that a high level Toon Link has the advantage.

You have absolutely no basis for which to compare them and you know it.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
So much trash talk.

This isn't the Toon Link boards I wake up with a handful of buttered toast and iced tea for.

Ruuku

Smash Lord
Are we looking at a matchup in which both players know the other character? If so, there's no way that Toon Link ***** GaW. I think that Toon Link has an advantage on GaW and loses it gradually as the stage becomes less neutral.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Sasuke are you done with Ganondorf stages?

I think that was a enough input right?
Not trying to rush you

@Praxis

Plz dont get in between them
Just let them solve this...

@Ruuku
Same to you too please dont
it will blow this outta proportion...

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
They shouldn't be solving this in a thread in the first place.

I'll finish the Ganon thing later tonight or tomorrow.

Deva

Smash Lord
Eh, all I really got from the last few posts from you Hylian were:

Washington sucks and doesnt travel OOS

Texas is Pimpin and we have the best matchup experience in the world.

Well. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ghGcRc5IRY - Friendies but read the description

vs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw68AA2qMt8

Not saying Texas sucks, or that that match I used is a good representation of Texas since LeeHaris did well against Azen. Just sayin you're seriously undercrediting Wa so get the facts straight before saying we dont have match up experience against top players considering Wa itself has some of the best players on WC.

Ruuku

Smash Lord
Sasuke are you done with Ganondorf stages?

I think that was a enough input right?
Not trying to rush you

@Praxis

Plz dont get in between them
Just let them solve this...

@Ruuku
Same to you too please dont
it will blow this outta proportion...
The only thing I was trying to solve was what I think were misconceptions about the matchup. I always try not to get some sort of elitist attitude and I did mention that I'm talking about my own experiences without putting anybody down. But I don't play Toon Link so I guess I'll just get out of here and talk about this in the GaW forums if necessary.

@Deva: is there a reason why you posted to same youtube link twice?

Top Bottom