• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top Players & Videos by Character

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

No one ever believes me when I talk about the **** Vidjo can pull off.

you see him often? tell him he's my white nigga lol

best story about jesse, we were hanging out at his house in ohio watching american psycho, and right when the guy starts chasing the naked hooker around with the chainsaw, his mom came in and we were all like....still 18 or something so it was mad weird lmao

Rat

Smash Lord
Shout out to Zwarm, who talks **** about my wolf but doesn't show up to tournaments.
What's the matter, Scared? :wolf:

<3

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
No Johns, but that was the first time I ever played 2.6b, and Calabrel was in fact probably better than me with Lucas at that point in time. When 2.6 came out I had to adjust a lot to not having a b-reversable magnet and force myself not to try using it, and I wasn't able to go back to using it very effectively right away. However I've gotten a lot better recently, and I just think most of my matches from before October are embarrassingly bad compared to my current skill level (which is not very high compared to Lucas's ridiculous skill cap).

Also, I can agree that dittos don't mean a ton, and certainly don't settle a debate over who is best with a certain character, but they are clearer than any other matchup since dittos eliminate questions about how good or bad a matchup is. It would be best if both players could play thousands of matches against all of the characters of every player in the world and see who does better overall, but since that is pretty unfeasible, we should look at the most useful data and use that to extrapolate. I'm pretty sure dittos provide better data than any other matchups since 1. we know 100% that neither character has an inherent advantage, whereas other matchups are almost certainly unbalanced in some way and 2. if it's a ditto between two players' mains, they both probably have a pretty good understanding of the character, which helps to minimize the risk that a player was just unlucky enough to play against a character they aren't experienced against. For example, this can happen in tournaments if you just happen to hit a character you're not experienced against, even though the player you're hitting could easily have been replaced in the initial seeding by another equally skilled player who uses a character you are experienced against. Note that I'm not trying to mitigate the role of matchup experience in evaluating how good a player is overall, but rather trying to minimize the impact of randomness, which just adds noise to the evaluation. It is entirely possible for a player with lots of experience against 28 of the characters to hit one of those 6 he isn't very experienced against early in a tournament, whereas another player with strong experience against only 24 of the characters (let's assume they're a subset of the other player's 28) could get lucky and not have to play any of his bad matchups. Obviously in the long run the player with broader matchup experience will do better if both are equally skilled in all other areas, but given the relative infrequency of tournaments (especially large ones), it can take a while for the results to align with what would be expected just given player skills and knowledge. The same thing applies to using friendlies (or seriouslies) as a basis for your judgment, since the matches that you play and that get recorded at smashfests are highly random and often just depend on who happens to be on the recording setup when you arrive.

Again, dittos definitely aren't everything, but they probably should be assigned more weight than other matchups. If we say that a random matchup has an average weighting of 1.0 in whatever formula we're using to evaluate how good someone is with a certain character, dittos might be weighted at something like 1.2-1.7 on average. The Lucas ditto probably requires a higher weighting just because the Lucas matchup in general will be of above average importance, since he is such a good character and will likely be a prominent threat once his metagame becomes more developed, but that is an entirely different subject that I won't go into here.
This was the first time I had played in over a month, and 2.6b heavily nerfed Pit, too. That was as much a learning experience for me, as well as trying to get unrusty, as it was a learning experience for you.

Vixen

Premium
Lol. You could have found that out by reading the title. Also, I posted almost two hours worth of videos. You didn't watch all of it, did you?

Mizuki, do you still play Pit? I heard you didn't like the stuff they changed in 2.6. I don't know, it could have been a rumor.
I absolutely despise the 2.6 changes to pit, BUT, I still main him.

You didn't see my sets vs Heyseuss's Ivy and DDD, Neon's Lucas and Lucario, Axe's Pikachu, or Calabrel's various characters? o_o

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Does Strong Bad have an Ike? I remember Metroid saying that he adopted some of his Ike techs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj0QLh6JivE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDajPYfLNt4
I also used Ike in a lot of pools matches at BH3 (Including against Anther game 2, which was recorded but hasn't been uploaded) and against DBSammy at Nerd Rage in both pools and bracket.
I taught metroid to fthrow -> dash -> jab and probably a couple other things. Can't get him to footstool though =(

NeonApophis

Smash Apprentice
This was the first time I had played in over a month, and 2.6b heavily nerfed Pit, too. That was as much a learning experience for me, as well as trying to get unrusty, as it was a learning experience for you.
Oh, yeah, that wasn't meant as an explanation for why I lost to you, just why Calabrel probably seemed better with Lucas back then, since he had more time to practice 2.6b and didn't have to adjust as much since he didn't use b-reversals as much as I did.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Heavily nerfed Pit? Didn't the change log just have a slower arrow and a weaker upsmash that you could actually SDI out of and it matched the animation?

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
you see him often? tell him he's my white nigga lol

best story about jesse, we were hanging out at his house in ohio watching american psycho, and right when the guy starts chasing the naked hooker around with the chainsaw, his mom came in and we were all like....still 18 or something so it was mad weird lmao
*offtopic casual response feel free to ignore if you're not umbreon*
Lolol his mom is the best, she's seriously so cool. I could share soooo many stories about that guy though, you wouldn't believe half of them lol. But yeah man, I did see him often. I actually just dropped him off at King's Station last night, he's on a train right now back to Cleveland as I type this. He's been one of my best friends since like 06. He moved out to Seattle with me at the beginning of summer, was living with me, situation got complicated, he's moving back to midwest for a couple months and then probably moving back to Redmond here when M2K moves here in January. But we all know how Jason is... so that may never happen lol. But I guess y'all might see him for a few months out East. He's planning on hitting up some tournies, he's been living a bit of a nomad life lately, probably gonna be crashing out in Kansas City with Phat and Darkrain for a bit. I guess he and Dope have been talking **** to one other, Dope's calling out his ZSS and I've been giving him some Diddy & Dedede practice. Who knows, we may see the return of the original Team Rocket here soon. That'd be some cool nostalgia.

D

Deleted member

*offtopic casual response feel free to ignore if you're not umbreon*

PM me his phone number, I'm gonna tap that soft white ass over thanksgiving. Last time I saw jesse he was in dac's car with three donuts on it going back to ohio from DC lmao

Vixen

Premium
Heavily nerfed Pit? Didn't the change log just have a slower arrow and a weaker upsmash that you could actually SDI out of and it matched the animation?
Usmash was Pit's only safe option vs Crouch Cancelling until 50% or higher. He doesn't have enough range to outspace OOS options, or CC options.

Arrow nerf is w/e though. my arrow game is unchanged.

Nazo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nazoplex
I will vouch for K9's Metaknight.

K9's recent placing at Overflow
Overflow Results
1: Larry ($66.00)
2: Aero ($33.00)
3: Tyrant ($11.00)
4: KiraFlax
5: K9
5: Twinks
7: Mach
7: Xero
9: heysuess
9: Humble Dojo
9: Juan
9: Terra
13: Aggro
13: 3 Years
13: Pelor
13: Zeno
17: Xethos
17: Vishap
17: VG
17: Zman
17: GammaWaves
17: Kdash
17: Emland
17: Lord
25: DJ Woone
25: Rich Brown

Videos
Vs. Heysuess (DDD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S33kRjI7zzk
Vs. Mach (Ivy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rqisFcw1nI

Abeebo

Smash Journeyman
Does Gimpyfish still play M? Cuz imma take one of those Bowser spots if he's just warming the bench. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But the day after. Or the one after that. One day...

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
The number of possible spots for Meta Knight has already been filled, unless someone can vouch for him being better than DSF, Plup, and Oro?!

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
Does Gimpyfish still play M? Cuz imma take one of those Bowser spots if he's just warming the bench. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But the day after. Or the one after that. One day...
He's still around, I went up to his place a few weeks ago. But I guess since he hasn't been entering tournies lately, doesn't count? I mean, what's the point of a player being on this list if you can't be on the lookout for their matches or even rank their performance?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Don't have to have a set limit for characters. Put up whoever is really damn good with the character, not whether they fit the quota or not.
Have videos for each person on the list. I haven't looked through the entire list but this should be numero uno priority.

What use is it, to the average player, to just list who is good with the character? Heck, that could be a project for any particular character board to undergo: rank their own mains. What this should be is a demonstrative list with videos included, not just a lengthy compilation of "three dudes" per character.

I understand that not every amazing player has videos of themselves up. But still, there are people on here without vids and it probably wouldn't take too long to find them. Oro probably has countless vids of 3 stocking some pour soul, Strawhat has videos, etc. No vids for Fox Falco or G^W? That's like impossible.

I'm not saying the effort of finding videos of all these people is solely the burden of OP, but cmon guys I think we can improve this together.

Nazo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nazoplex
K9 Has plenty of video evidence for his MetaKnight. I have to struggle to even find recent footage of Oro!?'s MK.

I'm not saying anyone deserves das boot, but K9 makes a pretty good representative MK.
He's also PR'd #1 in AZ.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I was actually talking about Oro for ZSS but yes there's that too I guess

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Yeah sorry, it's mostly stream archives. The only real tournament footage that was from recordings was beating Reflex's Ivy and losing to his Wario.

LOL the poor souls don't get my ZSS. They get random character #23.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
*sigh* tough crowd. I'm a bit stressed since this is exams week for me, but how about this: I list the top three players for each character, and in their corresponding spoiler, I put videos of not just the top three listed, but people who have posted videos here. That way competition will be encouraged, but there will still be an archive of videos of a lot of different players.

Sound good?

Either way, I'll be a bit busy this week, so expect updates to be slow.

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
Meta and Meiling's G&W's are both real solid up here in the PacWest. There are vids out there. Fox/Falco it's like... well what's the point?

That's why I mentioned there are other vids to look through on that channel when I posted Vidjos, I personally don't have the time or energy to invest in scouting for more footage and reviewing them and determining which players deserve to be mentioned in this thread and which don't. I'll leave that to those in this thread who do have that time, and if I have access to such resources, I'll feed them to y'all here. I don't think that's such a bad method of handling it, we each just contribute as we are able.

Nyte42

Smash Rookie
Do you think in the when you're more available you can add in the state or region each top player is from, KayB? I'm not too familiar with where most of the top players are from and it would be cool to see which area they're representing. If this has been asked and answered already, sorry about that. I didn't read through every page on this thread.

Rizner

Smash Ace
I think that this thread needs to figure out what it's going for before doing any things like add videos for everyone (even not on the list) or expanding the list or even requiring videos for those on it.

If you're looking to just rank the top 3 for each character, videos would be great but I don't think they're necessary.
If you're looking for a place that people vie for a top 3 position, but at the same time showing techniques and playstyles to others, then I'd say make it a requirement for videos to be on the list (I would probably prefer this option, although it would make it harder for lesser known players to get on here without going to tournaments and whatnot)
If you're looking to list all high level players for each character, remove the limit and don't require videos.
If you're looking for ^ but also to show different playstyles and whatnot to people, remove the limit but still require videos.
If this is just going to be a thread for good players to be showcased and as a mostly training thread to show what characters are capable of, then have a list with videos from more that might not be on the list. This seems like a weird option, and would possibly warrant its own thread but I don't see how it would fit into the idea of this one as it currently stands.

Just my 2 cents

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Usmash was Pit's only safe option vs Crouch Cancelling until 50% or higher. He doesn't have enough range to outspace OOS options, or CC options.

Arrow nerf is w/e though. my arrow game is unchanged.
DD Grab? F-Air poking? He's aight against CC and Shields.

Who does arrows when you have swords?

I like 2.6 Pit... a lot. :D

Rizner: This thread is for funlulz, and at most on a practical level, for generally directing people to go google/youtube things for themselves if they want to see decent level play with the given character/whatever.
Not so serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom