• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UCSB: Another melee tournament, are we cool yet... BEING STREAMED!!!

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
These things aren't exactly what they said but rather mixed with some sentiments I had.

Bob Money

Taught me to counter Captain Falcon with Nairs that cover a lot of the strage.
- This taught me that at higher percents you can be a lot more sloppy with your play. At high percent I was still doing WD back against falcon on FD.
- This works under the assumption (knowledge) that most falcons will Nair is this position.
- Covers Space

Taught me to run up shield or run up D Tilt against marth. And to get behind him.
- This gives you way more control and lets you be in their face rather than defensive. Even if you don't convert to a hit, it gives you an opportunity and is safe.
- It also reminded me to pay attention to areas immediately around characters that they can't punish, or have a hard time doing because of laggy moves.
- If you're behind marth they can wd out and grab and what not but this can easily be reacted too.
- If they dair out of shield you should have a easy follow up unless you aren't patient.

SFAT

Taught me to Bait with attacks rather than movement.
- More specifically this was referring to the use of jump back fair over WD back Tilt.
- This really gives you the ability to have stage control and engages them a lot more often.
- I really like that if this fails it can translate to new things like knowing when to empty hop grab. By being aggressiver... in baits you gain more information than just WD back Tilt which just leaves you at neutral position.
- Also he taught me to SDI drills into grab or dsmash which makes crouch canceling at all times way viable. At first I thought it only worked against nair and that drill was a hard counter. This takes away the guessing game and makes it reaction based. SO much stress relieved.

Lovage

Told me to be very wary about spacing moves. Like changing a spaced bair into an unspaced one when you know its gonna connect is gonna be give you the ability to follow up. Also change an unspaced move into a spaced move can really throw off people. These things give you a lot more mixups than just always doing spaced moves from the start. Kinda falls in line with KK's idea of diagonal fastfalls.
- I personally love doing this kinda stuff off platforms.
- Say you got a fox on the edge and you're on the platform planning on doing a series of spaced bairs. In the past I might have just fell right through and done a vertical bair and then another one. I could now fall away and then in or in and then vertical. Playing with your opponents idea of free space when they're in a bad position like this really forces them to try to evaluate when they have an opening to regain space and it causes a lot of players to lose composure and commit to something bad.

Anyways thats about it. Hope its a helpful read. Thanks again for all the advice, I really appreciate it and hope that I can use all of it to achieve some success.

Gosu_Engineer

Smash Ace
So it's about time I get shoutouts done what with finals over.

Kevin: <3 u 2. Beat my tournament and set the bar really high. I'll be glad to help/cook at the next major one

SB
Dante: good seeing you again. You're so much better than when I left you back in 09'. Got the same hair though :)
Huy: We never got to play friendlies, I wanted to see what you've done in the last 3 years
Cho: Always a pleasure. Love the falco. Marth is meh
Helmet: great G-dorf as always. Rock the mid tier
Cape: Haha. chill dude as always
Curt: good games in pools. You're definitely going in the right direction with falcon, just gotta work on some stuff.
Joey: nice seeing you again. Commentating was eh cuz I suck at it. Also if you think that was tender beef, that's not even close to my best. It's the best I could produce given the fact I had to bring my own kitchen. (but thanks for the compliments)

Socal
Mango: nice seeing you in SB. hope you enjoyed the steak/ribs
Wes: same with you. So you know I cooked the beef because of you. I promised you beef at a chatsworth tournament so here I deliver. Hope it was up to your standards
Oscar: Always cool seeing you. Hope you enjoyed the beef
S2J: same as Oscar. I think I gave you ribs though
Sung: Glad I could give you candy when you needed it XD
Stab - Good ****. Fun commentating with you although it was mostly just us talking. And hope you enjoyed the steak

Norcal
Tarheel - nice meeting you and GG's in pools. Really lucky you ran into me in the morning to get your charger back
L - GG's in pools. I like your fox
JOE!!!! - always a blast hanging with you man. I remember the first time we met at SCSA with brownies. Hope you enjoyed the beef. The Suicide spike in pools was funny even for me.
Shroomed - GG's in pools. Also you really shouldn't taunt people with the food I make you. (although it was amusing).
Ahmad - Very nice meeting you. It's refreshing to see people in the smash community with the respect and maturity that you showed. Glad you could make it
Bobak - Nice to finally meet you in person.
Bob$ - thank you too for making the trip down

KOcast - Great stream. It's was a real pleasure working with you guys. hope you can make it out to the next one.

A Rookie - Sick mario. GG's in pools
Sparky - GG's in pools.

Special shoutouts to Adam. I want to thank you for advertising, participating, and all the feedback. Especially the feedback. We would not have had as smooth a tournament had you not been there giving as much constructive criticism as you did. After this tournament we know what we did right, wrong and what we could have done better. Kevin will make the next one even better.

One last note. To those I gave beef:
I would like your feedback on the food I prepared. I want to refine my culinary practices and would like to know what you thought of the food good or bad. I want specifics like how Joey described it as tender. Also I noticed half of you didn't even eat the sauteed onions and mushrooms I served with the beef (I'm looking at you shroomed). Why didn't you eat them? Not prepared to your liking? just don't like onions/mushrooms?

You don't have to reply but it would really mean alot to me.

I was thinking of doing Korean BBQ for the next one.

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
No complaints here, I'd eat just about anything you'd make! Unfortunately I don't remember the specifics of the texture/taste of the meat, so I can't offer anything helpful in that regard.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
I'd actually like to know what you were going for specifically, gosu. I've been getting into cooking lately. I thought the meat was pretty good but it had some sauce on it (I'm guessing it was a stock?) which I felt could have been more flavorful, otherwise just ditch the sauce and season the meat and let the sear and juices of the meat carry the flavor. That' just imo.

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
Are there going to be videos that weren't on the stream? I think a TV near the front had a recording setup.

L__

Smash Master
oh **** gosu totally left you out my bad lol it was good playing and meeting new peeps!

=D

Gosu_Engineer

Smash Ace
Okay I think that's enough time. Everyone who is going to respond has done so.

No complaints here, I'd eat just about anything you'd make! Unfortunately I don't remember the specifics of the texture/taste of the meat, so I can't offer anything helpful in that regard.
Thanks anyway. Glad it was a good experience

I'd actually like to know what you were going for specifically, gosu. I've been getting into cooking lately. I thought the meat was pretty good but it had some sauce on it (I'm guessing it was a stock?) which I felt could have been more flavorful, otherwise just ditch the sauce and season the meat and let the sear and juices of the meat carry the flavor. That' just imo.
It was actually an experiment. I was trying to braise the ribs on a stove top rather than in an oven (because I didn't have access to an oven). It was a sauce made out of sauteed carrots, onions, and mushrooms with tomato paste, ketchup, bbq flavorings as well as the deglazed pan fond (the stuff left in that pan after searing) from when I seared the ribs before braising.

I really would have like to get my hands on a beer cooler to make ribs sous vide. That would have given you the natural meat flavor you wanted so much.

oh **** gosu totally left you out my bad lol it was good playing and meeting new peeps!

=D
no worries. glad you could come down

wish i had some of that cooking but then i remembered i dont eat red meat
I could have made a vegetable stir fry or chicken. I do requests (usually)

Takeover1806

Smash Champion
I want grand final vids, grand final vids, grand final vids...
Hopefully the up loaders didn't forget about this

^^^ sorry I didn't see your post when I posted this lololol

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
Alright so a week or two ago Alex Strife asked me to setup the WC apex qualifier for this year. My initial thought was Winter Gamefest but after thinking for a while I figured it's best that it's hosted in SB.

Couple reasons
1: Livestream equipment/recording from the SB fighting game club is really unparalleled when compared to other tournaments run by the smash community. Pretty sure what Alex wants is more exposure for these qualifiers and in turn Apex, and the best way to do that is a sick *** livestream.
2: Venue: The venue was really spacious and definitely had room enough to accommodate a regional. Also the TVs + Projector to show off the main matches were also really cool.
3. Closer to Norcal than anywhere else that Socal is willing to drive. Norcal's already shown that they're down to drive 3 cars deep to SB, and I'm pretty sure if we pick the correct date, then they would be down to come again.
4. SB as a city is really sick for partying and doing stuff after the tourney. That's always a plus for people who want to stay an extra day to avoid back to back long-*** drives.

Anyway, we have until the end of the year to host this. So it doesn't have to happen before school ends or during the summer. This can just be hosted in fall when school starts up again. That also gives it proper time for hype and possibly getting OoS attendance.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
The room we had can easily fit 60+. Get both rooms and you're talking 150+.

It doesn't necessarily have to be that big but I was super impressed by the venue. Plus, everyone loves going to SB so its easy to get attendance.

So awesome.

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
Aight well all of that is a good sign haha

We just need a date planned. I'm gonna rule out this quarter since it's basically finals week, and summer since everyone in SB goes home. So I'm guessing the best date is probably the first couple of weeks of Fall quarter (like september/early october I believe).

Top Bottom