• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UCSB: Another melee tournament, are we cool yet... BEING STREAMED!!!

Bob Money

Smash Ace
Il mio shoutouts:

Boback- i always appreciate you dragging me to tournies and not taking my ****ty excuses.

Julian-you're an awesome person to talk to.solid dude.

Zac-GGs man, thanks for carrying me in teams! Grazie mille!

Joey L- You're soo chill just a legit dude all around man, i hope the advice i gave you works out.

Adam- pleasantly surprised at your skill level, well spoken guy and more people should ask "What are you passions?" great convo after the tourny.

People i played in tourny-ggs

Crimsonblur- cool to meet you finally, i hope you like CA its def the best region for melee.

Tos-great tourny
Stream-awesome job

Nick-your a riot, you are life off life i think your face has a permanent smile on it

Luis/jackie, thanks for being cool you guys make a good couple.

Alan and dajuan-thanks for not being annoying on the ride here.

Truman-thanks for taking us to the thai place.

Wish i got to commentate more but i was playing my bracket matches during alot of the high profile matches, no biggy, next time.

joeplicate

Smash Master
so i told nick your opinion of him

and he said that he has successfully frowned twice in his life
LOL

super sick tourneyyyyy will do shoutouts later i guess

DanteFox

Smash Champion
Stab you're good. thanks for coming. I like how you congratulated me for beating boback... because it meant you got first seed lol.

Joey you ****. our set could have gone either way easily. Looking back on it I think had you pressured me indirectly by getting in my grill a little more you would have won.

baka we still didn't play any friendlies lol.

Adam I started laughing when you said "what the ****?" after I started doing multishines. That money match was a lot of fun.

Andrej good stuff getting some grabs on mango. Getting grabs is like your specialty. When it comes to grabs your the best in the world lol.

Ken thanks for teaming with me dude. I didn't carry my weight most of the time but we did surprisingly well despite it. Cencal for life.

Kenny thanks for the friendlies. Your falcon is great. Lets do more friendlies next time.

Crimson my gaffer bro lol. I love doing friendlies against you. I didn't know you were new to socal lol. That's awesome.

Mango thanks for being generous with the friendlies with my sb buddies. They were super stoked to meet and play you and I know they really enjoyed the experience.

Same with you Johnny. I saw you playing some friendlies with Anthony, sb's best falcon player. I hope he learned some good stuff from you.

Clayton way to team with Shroomed you ****. Also way to go toe to toe with the pros in friendlies.

Shroomed thanks for the friendlies. Get ***** in teams friendlies by me and clayton. ;)

Cho I loved commentating with you and chatting with the stream that was awesome. Lol "protect the stock!" Too perfect.

Curt awww yeah hopefully you were taking furious mental notes and I hope you got some friendlies with some pros.

Allen you're getting good dude keep it up with the sheik.

Cole I can't believe you got 4 stocked by mango's kirby lmao get destroyed.

Starving Container you're a trooper for letting Clayton team with Shroomed. What a guy.

Sung good games dude. You give it your all.

Lovage thanks for coming and I hope you had a good time. I'll be studying the vids of you vs shroomed later haha.

Kadar you ****. Nuff said.

Replicate fun friendlies on friday. you're good at teams.

Sheridan it was cool to meet you. Your puff is good.

Kevin you were this close to beating Lovage. I was about to flip out dude. Good shiz. You're a beast.

Thanks to everyone who came to this tournament and made it awesome. Best tournament I've ever been to.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
shoutouts

sb:

kevin-- thanks for hosting this, was a great venue and you guys did a good job
gosu engineer-- good games, thanks for getting my laptop charger. the steak was great
the brothers who ran the stream-- most legit stream i have ever seen. melee community needs to step up our streaming game
joey-- thanks for teaming and for letting us take over your house for the weekend. you are a great guy and hopefully you can make it up to norcal so we can return the favor. also your roommate seemed hella pissed on sunday morning so apologize to him for us lol
kadar- house of wax lol. also, double shines bro
blonde guy whose name i never got, but who let me use his wifi id-- thanks so much dude, saved my ***
clayton-- didn't get to play but it was good to see you. glad you're enjoying school
themanrocks-- i did not see your post about willing to team w/me until just now lol. sorry, i was not ignoring you, i just didn't check the boards from like slightly after asking until after the tournament was over

socal

johnny-- good games as always, you're too ****ing good. know you wanted to place better, but you'll get'em next time
oscar-- good seeing you, really wanted to play you, next time hopefully. great job in bracket
wes-- like your falco, will play you next time. comeback combos ftw. good to see you
mango-- cool finally meeting you, wish you had gone falcon again against wes. that beard is ridic.
adam-- nice to finally meet you. didn't get to play, but i had as much fun talking nba/life as i would have smashing lol
sung-- thanks for the games. you're so fundamentally sound and it makes me play more deliberately and lets me see many of my holes
baka-- we only talked, but we'll play next time
stabbed-- good to see you again
arian (hope i spelled this right)-- nice meeting you. i hope the spurs make it out of the west lol
commonyoshi-- hope to see you in norcal this summer
a rookie-- slick mario. i enjoyed our set. meant to mario ditto you in a friendly lol

norcal:

boback-- thanks for driving. had a blast. glad we took highway 1 back, the scenery was incredible
robert dollars-- always a pleasure, i learn so much about the game talking to you/playing you. our nonsmash related convos were even more fun lol
dajuan-- moron
alan-- sick car ride. <3 rihanna
zac-- know you wanted to do better, but keep your head up. you had a strong showing and can hang with anyone, just be confident
sheridan-- always a pleasure. i never finished explaining the bball lineup stuff, so remind me
joe-- ***** me in pools, but it was productive. had fun hanging out, hope your mom enjoyed the surprise
nicholas m. whittier-- you are a riot dude. love chilling and playing with you
truman-- first time i've really hung out with you i think. was great taking in the landscape. thai place was legit
ahmad-- didn't get any games with you, thanks for bringing the 3rd car. i'll make my way up to your place soon enough
L-- good matches. also glad you were able to make the trip down
kenney-- great to see you. we will def play this summer. i'll let you know about the next itt asap

i almost certainly forgot some people, so apologies in advance

edit: damn i realized i forgot luis/his gf. awesome that you and your gf came down. i'll see you around norcal

SUNG666

Smash Ace
LA, CA (Glendale) Hook me up if ya wanna smash
Santa Barbara host/tourney shoutouts:
Unknown Presence and GosuEngineer good stuff, this tournament was freakin amazing the venue was SICK couches are amazing snacks drinks pizza the works
KO cast - Tight name that stream was amaaazing and everything looked incredibly legit with the mics and all, thanks so much for doing it

Bracket shoutouts:
1: Mango - Mario F smash comeback **** I hope to play against you in some other random tourney to go to
2: Lovage - So precise, subtle aerial momentum shifts, one of few inspirations to improve my tech skill
3: Wes - If you haven't noticed already, but you probably have, I'm trying to make my aggro like yours, I need to practice even more. Your combos are amazing and I hope mine can get just as good also you seemed to get really frustrated and thus kept making mistakes in later bracket
4: Shroomed - Dominated me and Stab in doubs MM dunno why I did it and stab wasn't right in the head either
5: SFAT - Ggs, really good textbook fox imo super solid fundamentals I feel like I only got janky hits in our set
5: S2J - All I do is disappoint you, I'm gunna work hard to beat you next time (which probably going to be the next tournament we enter since we always play in pools+bracket but I don't mind at all I actually like it)
7: Joeplicate - Hmm shoulda played you
7: Bob$ - Ggs you're really solid as well I think your reactions are great
9: Stab - Ok ok $5 3/5 falco dittos next tourney, don't you ever play with Fly? I mean I'm sure you could more often and get more Peach/IC practice
9: Adam - You might beat me with Sheik but I'm not the same as I was before. Good job 2-0ing baka and beating SideFX (who, btw, 2-0'd stab LOL)
9: Sung - We got all the socal lower rankers (noobs) placing 9th...haha
9: Baka4moe - Wanted to play you in tourney but oh well I'll be playing with more mixups and aggressive in the next tourney, gj beating Stab...again LOL
13: Alan - Ggs in doubles
13: Dantefox - Improving machine! Beating SideFX and L, also destroying me in friendlies before our tournament set...but you got hit with the nerves haoahaha
17: SideFX - Ggs in friendlies you are really aggressive and you don't do the blizzard walling that Fly does which always screws me over, gj annihilating Stab tho
17: Sniper - You are also getting way better too and you have pretty good tech skill glad you're getting back into the scene, I'm sure it's only a matter of little time before you beat a known player
17: Huy - Hey ggs, seemed like you were trying to adapt but was tempted with the shieldgrabs later on again heh I think you sit in your shield too much and just not moving enough in general
17: JoeJoe - Two steps forward, three steps back? Dantefox! I think you roll too much (from pressure and away from the ledge) do more WD oos and Nair oos.
17: Kool Kid - The nerves, unfortunately I can't remember much but I definitely would have had something to say yesterday oh welly :/
17: Sheridan - Ggs you missed some easy combos/crucial edgeguards that coulda netted you the win, I like your trading up smash oos when you're at low % and I'm comin down with an aerial but fortunately I teched them no jab resets yay.

Pool shoutouts:
CommonYoshay - Son I am disappoint. We needa do a serious training session! And there's no such thing as I shoulda beat him/her/w.e you win or you lose
A. Rookie - Man! I still don't know how this happened to you! Still kinda funny/really ironic how it was you telling us in the car not to underestimate other players hahahaha
Crimson Blurrr - Just one after another eh? I'll chip in for half if ya wanna buy a recording setup it'll be good for us oh and also THE COMMUNITY. Incredibly inconsistent player right here heheh gotta get that B GAME UP TO SNUFF
Saca AKA Red hot chili peppers - Hope you work on those things I told you and also make sure to find a tech chasing way that works for you. Also go play with JoeJoe more I'm sure he has a bunch of stuff to tell you
Tarheeljks - Ggs in friendlies again, I always seem to get killed by random knees really early I'm gunna fix that
TH3M4NROCKS (or something) - I like your like for falco players haha, hardest part for new people in the scene playing falco is not to let the nerves mess up your tech skill (I'm sure you can do everything well when you're alone in your room practicing tech skill in the dark). I mess up my tech skill all the time but can't let the pressure get to you
That one white guy from 909 (Sheik main) - You're good, playing for real not for too long. I can still see remnants of bad habits but it seems like at the rate you're going you'll be doin real well. Props for comin out there to Santa Barbara though

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
shoutouts i guess:

arian: u already know <33333

kevin paul: sorry if i sound like i'm being nitpicky or excessively negative. the tournament was 9/10. the 1 is just a big pet peeve of mine because i'm getting old and it sucks to have to avoid traveling because it virtually guarantees me going to sleep after 12am. that's one sacrifice i can't make anymore. other than that the tournament was figuratively perfect. ton of setups, best live stream ever, great headphones, great support from the fighting game club, super spacious. you guys could totally host a national here if you got another room or two. i would be super down to TO and eschew any friendlies to help run it. i'd advertise it like a mofo. would be incredible if socal/cencal got a national.

matt: gotta get you more outgoing cause you have a good personality when you're comfortable. you're gradually overcoming your shy, introverted ways. being introverted ***** -- i love my solitude and wouldn't trade it for everything -- but in america you need a balance. headphones on the car ride, bro? if we're boring you jump in with a subject that doesn't bore you. don't let us dictate everything. BE A MAN! you're stronger than you look.

robert dollars: a pleasure to meet you. playing friendlies with you was da bess. you were bringing out the best in me. noam chomsky is a G; reading hegemony or survival many years back was my jump start into serious intellectual pursuits

rapelicate: i was salty you were getting me in friendlies, but me getting salty is precisely why i wasn't performing. i gotta learn fox dittos, my sheik is trash v fox. foc dittos scare me when it comes to approaching. i need to believe in my skill level more. your tan is great! work on your posture, do some yoga, pull mad *****es.

daniel blado: my sheik isn't better than my fox, you're just better v fox and i'm better v peach as sheik. your weakness is your ground game. wd back --> dtilt ***** the hell out of sheik. reset your float more.

dajuan: wish i played you more. i'll mm your marth next time. i think if i improve a little more and play sheik you'll have a lot of trouble with me. i don't think you have a pocket fox, and i'm confident v falcon, doc, marth. you'll be signing your life and pride away if you dare to sheik ditto me. too bad i was broke, woulda liked to mm you fah dayz

zac: taught me a lot about fox dittos. approaching is everything. you seemed off in our sets, like you were just playing cautiously feeling you were gonna win anyway. that sets you up for chokesies tho if your opponent's skill level and composure surprises you. my fox is gonna be a bigger threat next time.

joey leung: you play like you're intimidated by me. playing you is mad boring cuz all you do is camp. next time i'll just do sheik dittos. im sorry if you feel like i was a **** to you in pools re playing matches, you were really giving me the gas face

sniper: sigh still no fox ditto friendlies

wes: your spacing is really underrated

mango: low-key you're mad depressed

johnny: learning a lot from playing you the past couple of tournaments. you've opened my eyes to how much spacing matters. i need to stop being wannabe flashy lovage fox gimmick tech skill and focus exclusively on spacing and stage positioning. my fox is so insecure

oscar: i love your demeanor

sung hyun: i'm glad i didn't play you or matt because i needed a break from playing your falco's styles. i'm gradually getting confident v falco. i'm gonna take a break from training so hard in this game but it won't be for long because i refuse to let you get the upper hand. note to self: you like to grab when your opponent shields near the edge of the stage. i'ma spot dodge to punish u.

julian simington: you ever hear of little brother or supastition? NC's finest rappers! well, little brother back when i was a kid. supastition is grown man music tho. want to pick your brain more but i'm terrible at math so that kinda threw me off. interesting you haven't been playing for long. want to play you and see how much potential you have. lmao @ "i'm down to team and i'm mediocre." spurs in 5, thunder in 5.

alan: had a strong feeling i'd come back that first match on yoshi's. a lot of times when playing people i get this feeling, and it comes true every time. some times that feeling is terrible. i got the terrible feeling match 3 of our teams set. johnny told me to always think i'm going to win. i don't know why i'm telling you this in my shoutout to you. you seem a lot more toned down.

michael haber: glad you showed up. dunno how free you are but i have an itch for some sheik dittos.

vincent: glad you showed up. play with me more dude, i will help unlock your potential

alvin nguyen: i know your name from facebook, hahaha. i half-recognized you for half the tournament. disappointed i didnt make myself play friendlies with you. you looked zoned out anyway. do you love this game? i heard you switched from fox/falco to sheik/marth? imo the best main/secondary combo is fast-faller/floaty. otherwise it's redundant cuz you'll tend to struggle with the same matchups as you do with your main imo.

boback: i was impatient v you with fox. i'm so used to playing fly that playing other ICs throws me off. you'd think it'd make me better v them but it doesn't. i realize it's all about figuring out how ICs approach. after that it's done. everyone who says ICs counters sheik is wrong, it's 50/50 all the way. if sheik separates ICs she kills nana more efficiently than anyone. to counter sh fair, you should utilt and sh fair yourself. now that we've met and shared words to each other without any animosity maybe next time we can get to know each other ;)

dante: you're really good but you lack high-level experience. embrace the gay. i am terrible v fox, i only went sheik cuz i knew you were scared of her and used to fox dittos. demeanor is everything. i felt like going in you didn't expect to win. i swear you can perceive when your opponent is going to choke. that gave me such a layer of safety.

sheridan: yeah our team sucked. oh well. my fox isn't **** enough yet. i knew i was gonna choke game 3. i felt like it was me v matt one on one and recently matt's had my number. i shoulda went sheik v that composition cuz matt isn't great v sheik and i would **** alan's cc shenanigans. but sheik-jiggs team in general is super risky because they get separated hella easily. terrible stage control. you're stronger than you look.

kool kid: you use fox AND falco, right? i like your fox more than your falco. would like to play you more. hey, you're black!

also adam: i do agree with you, but two things
1. my pool was last to finish bc i was trying to do some of what u explained. bottom line is ranked players dont do whats asked right away usually and i personnaly dont care. if it gets to the point where it is a problem ill step in which i did when bracket started (which is why i would like to think it ran so quickly)

2. the community has a responsiblilty too. i make ppl pool leaders for a reason, if they dont do whats asked of them (which they agree to) then thats more on them than the TO
fair enough. that said it'd be easily solved if you simply don't let people leave their pools station while pools are underway. iirc that's how genesis 1 was ran, with sheridan et al being tyrannical, and it was absolutely fabulous. friendlies fah daaaaaayz afterwards.

L__

Smash Master
Lovage - your fox is so good dude i hope next tournament we can play cuz i think i'd learn a lot from playing you
Wes - your falco is so sexy. we played a few friendlies but idk if you knew who i was. i'm the asian kid that played you in fox dittos near the front of the room lol.
Shroomed - why the *** didnt you give me food
SFAT - you'll get em next time
S2J - *** i was meaning to ask you to play friendlies the whole day but i kept feeling like **** so i never asked =[[[
Joeplicate - good playing you that set in tourney lol was p fun i hafta pass you eventually!
Bob$ - good games in bracket dude marth is so hard to not **** up against =[
Adam (guessing this is shadrach) - i wasnt feeling too well at the tourney so i didnt really feel into smash i guess. i'm having tons of problems picking a character lately. i've been going the 4 characters you've mentioned mainly based on how i've been feeling. melee's awesome but i've been playing other games too and taking care of school so i don't really practice or play anymore. your advice makes a lot of sense and i'll try to stick to it.
Sparky - thanks for housing dude you're hella fun to play
Alan - eh
Ahmad - thanks for driving and the spiderman thing
Unknownpresence - awesome tournament it was super fun playing you
SideFX - :c
Sheridan - good games i feel like i'm learning a lot about spacing when i play you
Julian - very fun games looking forward to seeing you beat me next time we play

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
unknownpresence: can you upload the .tio file to SSBPD? or send it to me for me to do it? thx

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
1: Mango - MANGOOOOOO. It's good to see you at a tourney again and I really hope you get back in shape and win FC (assuming armada goes)
2: Lovage - Always a pleasure. Seems having a bad loss early in the day and ****** in bracket is becoming the norm for you
3: Wes - Good job vs mango, the ****ing ledgejump got you on the last game man >_< Fun times as always
4: Shroomed - Glad you could come down for this! Surprised you didn't place top 3 in either event haha, but good job beating johnny kim. Your love for taking people's money is obvious
5: SFAT - Super jank MM, kind of glad I ended up losing the money back to you lol. Your fox does some absolutely sickkkk stuff
5: S2J - Ur hella good, and pretty cool but also a huge ****** because it feels like ur the one player I never ever get closer to beating.
7: Joeplicate - Great seeing you joe. A lot could be said about the tourney set, but good job pulling it out. Probably one of the more crushing losses I suffered because I've been amped up to **** you since the last time you came to socal, but alas I need to practice more
7: Bob$ - SOOO annoyed that I didn't get to play you Q.Q, didn't know you knew so many languages!
9: Stab - Every time I think about quitting, I realize i've come too far to stop at my current skill level
9: Adam - one of the most interesting car trips in a long time. I don't know if it's what you say or the way you say it but everything you say is really interesting and not dull time-filler. I would really appreciate some links to the stuff you were talking about with the PUA. I'd like to learn and master techniques in that area of my life that I am lacking.
9: Sung - you're on
9: Baka4moe - I've decided I'm never going to lose to you again. Probably gonna jump off a bridge if I do lol
13: Sparky - ggs in tourney, nice falcon
13: Alan - nice Dsmashes in teams and your peach is very good haha. Sorry to disappoint, I feel like we could have beaten the teams we lost to.
13: Dantefox - GOOD JOB BEATING BOBACK, AWWWWW YEAAAAAAAA. You got heart man
13: L - LOVE your sig
17: Ahmad - ggs in tourney!
17: Unknownpresence - ur the man, good job running the tourney
17: SideFX - NIce job ****** me boback, you have an interesting style lol
17: Sniper - You're getting much better sniper!
17: Huy - ?
17: JoeJoe - I can feel your urge to improve, it's a refreshing change of pace compared to a lot of people in socal. Just work on the ego!
17: Kool Kid - Your spacies are very good. Some SB dude told me that you've only gotten worse since coming to SB because no one really good lives there. hope that's not the truth LOL
17: Sheridan - you're the smartest person in the world sheridan. Dark matter is COOL AS ****, and chicks dig sweat pants
gosu - THANK YOU for the the food, it was delicious!
TCB - Aryan, your driving is superb. Not really salty about not staying the night after hearing about the dead body thing hahahaha. Btw, clippers gonna poop on spurs AWWW YEAAA
Streaming people - YOUR STREAM WAS AMAZING, NEVER HAD SO MUCH FUN COMMENTATING BEFORE. Hope we sort out the videos thing
cole - oh jesus christ, i hope I remembered your name right this time. If i didn't I'm the biggest ****** in the world. Anyway, thanks so much for hooking me up! SB seems like such a chill place and I hope you keep playing smash
julian/tarheel - it was good seeing you again. You seem like one of the more calm-minded norcal smashers haha
a rookie - ultra surprised you didn't make it out of pools. You must have gotten a really tough pool man
vincent - I know deep down in my heart that one day you'll be really good at this game. you just gotta keep practicing! The average skill of socal is stupidly high nowadays so getting up there with everyone else can take a while.

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
Tarheeljks - Yo man you are a funny dude and clearly very intelligent. It was chill kicking it and teaming, we'll get them next time. Hopefully I get the chance to go up to one of your tournaments.

Nick - Man your enthusiasm is great. Best of luck with your future endeavors in Germany and don't stop playing! Your Captain Falcon is super aggressive which is great. Keep doing your thing.

Bob$ - Old School Hero... Nuff Said. Thanks for the food, I really appreciate it. Also thank you for the the advice, some of the best I've gotten in ages. Really good fundamental knowledge about fighting games rather than generic technical knowledge. Playing you really showed me the difference between a seasoned player and a random.

Replicate - This guy is too humble. damn.. that oos game.... is too much. Your patient play is also really interesting, I'll have to watch some of your videos and pick up some tricks. Hope you keep at the game, I feel like you're really close to the top.

Boback - The homie, I had no idea you were SideFX until the tournament. Don't sweat the losses, I'm sure you'll get them next time. Hope you had a good time, come down for the next in the series.

Dajuan - Damn I can't believe I didn't get to play any sets with you. It was fun watching you play though.

Alan - Hope you had a good time. Btw what kind of sweater thing was that?

Sheridan - Dude that puff was so hard in singles, Hope you had fun playing.

SFAT - Holy crap, your advice was game changing. Really makes me revaluate sheiks defensive/trading options. Also I love your play style, your move use is very rare in any metagame and is soo new school. Really nice use of A attacks to get some crazy comboes without shine. Also fun just talking and playing mindlessly. Hope you have a good time and best of luck with college. Gotta tell me more about linguist ****. Tell me how that works out.

L - Didn't get to play you much but I like the way you played, that marth has got crazy style.

Luis - sorry we didn't play more =(

Nick from lunch - yo good luck with melee man, don't play g&w.

Kenny - Time to get **** right? Stop being so defensive. Do cool things instead of just trying to win. I'm sure it'll make you 10 million times better. I'm on the same tip. Thanks again for coming down, hope you hope a good time.

Ken - This guy. Keep doing your thang and play as many people as possible. Try new stuff and I'm sure you'll be ****** soon enough. And stop saying im good, cause im not haha

Lovage - Yo your advise is so different from others and for that, it is awesome. I feel like you register all the small details in the game. Your advice made me much more observant of spacing during non-neutral position.

S2J - DANG i wanted to play after reading your thread =(

Westballz - this guy is whats really good. We gotta play this summer.

Stab - dude wtf haha shots fired in my direction. But I understand. But when I talk like that like everyone sucks and what not, I'm including myself and just setting a hire standard for myself. I'm just really competitive. If we kicked it and talked about players I'm really not like that, I hope i give credit where credit is due. Either way it takes a man to make a call out like that; thank you. Hopefully my ambitions don't end up just being ambitions.

Sung - haha nah dude thats not how it is. But very fun matches, hope it wasn't too easy for you.

Adam - Yoooo tbh i was a little intimidated because I understand you as a insanely patient fox player that is able to punish well. In that match up I'm used to calling out aggressive foxes so i didn't really know what to do when you were just standing there and calling me out. But i learned more about aggressive spacing because of that. And sorry if i was giving you a face afterwards but I was upset at losing to you and was getting a run for my money against Caleb so i really wasn't trying to have you yelling at me about a slower match. No harsh feelings at all though, was fun chilling afterwards.

Crimson - glad you had a great time man, nice to see someone having a good time.

CommonYoshi- you're about to break that barrier and ****.

Mango - Yo hope you had a good time on the bean bag.

Baka- Yo those matches were mad fun, hopefully we play more this summer.

A Rookie - Dude I respect your play so much, sorry about pools, but you **** so don't even sweat it. Lets play this summer, I think i could learn a lot.

Dante - Yo don't be like that, you beat me fair and square. I was dumb for being salty.

Gosu Engineer- Thanks for the tender as heck food. Hope you had a fun time commentating and all.

Sparky

Smash Apprentice
Shout Outs:
S2j - Thanks for the friendlies and pointing out my flaws. i gotta polish up my game somehow and i definitely needed the criticism you gave me.

Sfat- Glad i could house you, Luis, L, and ahmad on friday. Thanks for the games dude. i hoped we could've played more, or even a MM but im sure ill play you in norcal soon :D

Naota - Ggs in teams and in friendlies. What was up with the samus ditto with ken? lol

L- Your falco is so good! We should play more once im in norcal! you definitely exposed my weakness in pools. aggro spacies.

Ahmad- Hey teams partner. We should've won. :[ Thats all i gotta say.

Dante- yooo! more friendlies please! lol. or even better a MM next time :D

Coolkid- i need to get better! you consistently beat me everytime we play. ggs dude!

Huy- sucks we only got to play a few friendlies. ggs

JoeJoe- what it doo. ggs in our MM. All we can go from here is up. we'll both keep getting better if we keep up the motivation.

Caleb- GG in our MM. Best of 5's all day.

Kevin- gg in our MM and bracket.

Tarheel- So awesome you made the trip down! its nice to play with another norcal falcon haha.

Curt- You got this! sb falcons got that tech skill.

Replicate- Gg in our pools. Your fox is mad good.

Shroomed- i love watching your doc play. and im honored i got caped by you lol.

A Rookie- really, really good games in pools. You had game 1 man. just over extended. hope to play with you again soon.

Alan- GG in bracket. You made me realize i need to learn my sheik match up better. I hope to play with you again when im up in norcal.

Stab- sorry for asking about recording a set. i really wanted some footage so i could get critiqued and get better. GGs. game 1
was close, but game 2 you absolutely had me downloaded.

Nick- norcal falcons unite! ggs :D

Rawrs- This guy. too modest. get to that next level. i wanna see you **** and get the recognition you deserve. also Slo kids what it doooo. rep.

Lovage- I didn't get to play any friendlies with you! but you get a shoutout anyways cause you're awesome.

To everyone else. good ****. This tournament was so hype. and the stream was ridiculously awesome and professional. Thank you for all the friendlies everyone.

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
Hey all, this is NICHOLAS M. WHITTIER, for those of you who don't know me by my gamer tag.

Joey - Thanks for housing us, and thank your housemates for letting it happen. I'm real glad we crashed there instead of dorms--smashing till 6am both nights was epic. I'll smoke all of you out if I see you again. Polish that falcon secondary just a little and it will be real sick. I hope to be able to beat your Sheik next time.

Kadar - I wish I had picked up on more of the SB smash lingo. It was so funny. I love when you talk about comboing people, especially when it's Game and Watch. Doubles with you was so ****ing fun. It wouldn't have been as much sharing that last night with anyone else as my partner. Also, playing against you and Dajuan felt like the ultimate anti-Nick team... ****ing attacking me all day. I felt so helpless.. Can't wait to play you again. Thanks for the housing and smoking us out too.

Kurt - You have some nice moves. If you learn when to apply your current skills and pick up a few more things you will be real good.

Johnny - I swooped on that TV to play you, but I really didn't want to play at the time. I wish we had gotten to play more--I'll make sure it happens next time. Nice games in doubles.

Oscar - Great seeing you, especially with that sexy haircut. I'll give you a puzzle league tutorial for like 30 minutes next time I see you, which will make you pro. It's hard to teach someone when you are playing at high speeds haha.

Westballz - Your MM vs Dajuan was soooo sick. Never seen such cool FALCON COMEBACK COMBOS in my life. The look on your face after that scar jump was priceless. I wish you had stayed longer and seen the **** I did to Dajuan that night. Our combined **** talk would have been amazing.

Bobby - Thanks for the advice, you are really helpful. I had a conversation where I said "everyone says I always smile, but I bet people who met me this weekend really must think this much more so"

Julian - Sorry you had to get paired with scrub Dajuan for hours. That **** was toooo good. If you work on your drunk smash a bit more, you would carry him all night. I also like to think that the times where you didn't help him were a result of me inciting conflict within your team via my **** talk.

Boback - I want to try your stony product that's ****ed everyone up. Let's do that next time we hang out. Thanks for bringing Dajuan and letting me have that night of pure pleasure.

Kenney - I want to play you more. I don't usually get crushed so bad in dittos =[

Dajuan - I'm glad we both had a night of ****ting on each other. **** you for laughing at me as you hunted me for hours. Thanks for not getting mad as it became increasingly clear I am on a supra-Dajuan-echelon. The highlights of my weekend were probably the nair --> drop zone knee on yoshi's and "Why'd your knee hit mine?!" on DL. I didn't think I would ever actually get to legitimately **** talk you. Also, thanks for asking me to MM with me on your team. I was pumped and we woulda stomped them--can't believe they played you and Zac but not me and you.

Hector - I loved how you kept seeming surprised whenever you got hit. I still love your name. I didn't catch where you are from, but if you are in Norcal, we should play.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
ShrieK1295 said:
Julian - Sorry you had to get paired with scrub Dajuan for hours. That **** was toooo good. If you work on your drunk smash a bit more, you would carry him all night. I also like to think that the times where you didn't help him were a result of me inciting conflict within your team via my **** talk.
LOL

10char

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
Also thank you for the the advice, some of the best I've gotten in ages. Really good fundamental knowledge about fighting games rather than generic technical knowledge.

SFAT - Holy crap, your advice was game changing. Really makes me revaluate sheiks defensive/trading options.

Lovage - Yo your advise is so different from others and for that, it is awesome. I feel like you register all the small details in the game. Your advice made me much more observant of spacing during non-neutral position.
OMG WHAT DID THEY TELL YOU!!!!

hahahaha ;)

matt:

reddit is probably the simplest place to start. http://www.reddit.com/r/seduction/ the PUAs i most identify with are david deangelo and gamble. tyler durden, style, mystery, and a lot of others all have good strategy, but a lot of it is about how it meshes with your personality.

there's a ton of material tho so you'll get out of it what you put into it

sheridan:

here's the puff-got-guaranteed-combos-fah-dayz link i was talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc15yRrEcvc&feature=plcp

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
Stab - dude wtf haha shots fired in my direction. But I understand. But when I talk like that like everyone sucks and what not, I'm including myself and just setting a hire standard for myself. I'm just really competitive. If we kicked it and talked about players I'm really not like that, I hope i give credit where credit is due. Either way it takes a man to make a call out like that; thank you. Hopefully my ambitions don't end up just being ambitions.
Hahaha, relax man I wasn't trying to put you on blast about the ego, just wanted you to know it's something you should try to let go of. Of course, that's easier said than done, and a lot of us (including myself) have problems with staying humble as well. Ideally you should separate yourself from how good you think you are and instead focus on what you need to change and do better. However, there is a fine line between being humble and being a defeatist (sung hyun lee ;p).

matt:

reddit is probably the simplest place to start. http://www.reddit.com/r/seduction/ the PUAs i most identify with are david deangelo and gamble. tyler durden, style, mystery, and a lot of others all have good strategy, but a lot of it is about how it meshes with your personality.

there's a ton of material tho so you'll get out of it what you put into it
Wow, this stuff is REALLY cool! It's really awesome how they can use their confidence in themselves and social awareness to adapt to situations and come out on top. I'm being nerdy and drawing parallels to melee but this stuff is super interesting and I really want to learn/practice it.

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
Haha I didn't mean wtf like that. I'm not offended lol. And adam I'll post about it later

:phone:

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
Alan - Hope you had a good time. Btw what kind of sweater thing was that?
Its like a pull over thingy that I got on sale at the Marc Ecko store.

<33333 to everyone else especially Stabbed (cuz we ***** in teams) and Adam (cuz you're Adam) and Mango (cuz your beard hair mingled with my head hair)

unknownPresence

Smash Ace
Hey just so you guys know, you need to learn how to read pool results, its set wins before game wins

1: Mango - Thank for coming man, it meant a lot to the community
2: Lovage - I hate playing you, I always feel like you make mistakes making it close and Im nvr able to take advantage of it to win the set. Rlly glad to see you tho.
3: Wes - Hope you liked all the food my bro gave you lol
4: Shroomed - I didnt get to talk or play with you, but thnx for making it out here. Im sure the drive was a pain
5: SFAT - You were one of the suprises of the tournament for me man, you were polite, kept me laughing every time we talked, and a great player too
5: S2J - thnx for dragging mango out here and always a pleasure seeing you
7: Joeplicate - JOOOEEEEE man i was so stoked you came to the tourny, i rlly wanted to hug you XD
7: Bob$ - I love your movement man, marth dittos are stupid so sorry i was laughin our entire set, but yea LOVE ur movement
9: Stab - thnx for the recording set-up, glad you made it down to sb again
9: Adam - I owe you a lot man, you helped hype this tournament, you were rlly fun to talk with, and you gave me some tips for running a successful tournament. Hopefully we can actually play next time or just talk more.
9: Sung - Glad you make it to a lot of the sb tournaments, I hope you enjoy them. You've come a long way since i gave you the gamecube too; glad to see its not going to waste!!
9: Baka4moe - Nice seeing you man hope you enjoyed urself also idk if you do this a lot, but you rlly shouldnt pester the TO lol
13: Sparky - UR SO ****ING GAY *SALT SALT SALT* omg i love you man but i just dont enjoy playing your falcon ><><><
13: Alan - Didnt rlly get to talk much, but i hope you had fun nonetheless
13: Dantefox - You got talent man, you just lack some things here and there. Other than that <3 glad you had fun and keep on improving
13: L - Sorry you were so tired, I felt like you wouldve enjoyed the tournament a lot more if you werent
17: Ahmad - thnx for running your pool lol, some pools made me delay playing my matches
17: Unknownpresence - your a ***** and no1 likes you T_T
17: SideFX - Your presence just makes a tournament fun for others, I was stoked when i saw you
17: Sniper - We had a dumb set all i rlly remember lol
17: Huy - You were pretty quiet this tournament, didnt rlly see or hear much from you
17: JoeJoe - Gotta keep improving and you want it thats going to help a lot. also wheres my shoutout *****
17: Kool Kid - JOHNS JOHNS JOHNS, ur good man act like you want it XD
17: Sheridan - thnx for the help with pools and thnx for coming down

Cho - always a pleasure and get bttr man ur good!!!!!!
Rawrs - fun matches but learn to wavedash out of shield lol
Gosu - <3<3<3<3<3

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
LOL Kevin <3. Shoot how did that happen im sorry. Yo you live here lets just kick it ;)

Great tournament. Thanks for setting it all up. Hope you had a good time as well.

Mark and Tom ****

joeplicate

Smash Master
shoutouts time
oh my god how to do this without being cliched as F**$*******
all this is gonna be FROM THE HEART, be forewarned ;]
edit: helllllla long

car ride:
nick: i feel like every time we hang out we get to be better friends. teaming was awesome, i don't even have to tell you you're hilarious

our word usage on the ride down was OFF THE CHARTS, gj team
sheridan: that means you too, you intellectual you. thanks for buying me that salad, and for taking me to 805. wish we got to do some climbing with brendan, but oh well.

truman: you don't have to always be so alone dog ;) hope you had a lot of fun at the tourney, and got what you wanted out of the experience. sounds like you guys enjoyed the thai place ^_^

boback, alan, zac, julian, and other people who came from norcal who i didn't even talk to rofl: nice to see you guys i guess. it's weird that people are so cliquey even in such an intimate scene! (myself included!) it kinda sucks that smash tournaments are the only time i get to hang out with smashers, since there's a huge distraction in the foreground--SSBM MELEE GAMECUBE EDITION--which detracts from enjoying each others company. it comes with the territory though. i'll probably be around in the future

mango: still the homie, forever the homie. the way you play smash is ridiculous, you put everyone else to shame. it's like everyone programs themselves as a ****ty smash robot, but your game is always amazingly fresh and full of life. your psychology is as interesting as your smash game; i hope you're doing good in the rest of your life, because i honestly don't know.

adam: yes dude. Yes. you seemed pretty exuberant, as always, and that's something i look up to you for. it's weird keeping up with someone long distance, because expectations inevitably get wound up in the mix. on smashboards, we really only project the persona that we want to; it's super different seeing the totality of someone, seeing them in the flesh. YOUR LAUGH IS INCREDIBLE DUDE, never stop laughing. i wanna start PMing you on a lot of issues, or phone or whatever to pick your brain if you're down. part of it is me wanting to attach to some symbol of authority, another is to take you as a sort of case study of someone who's supposedly on the right track, and the other part is cuz i just plain like the **** out of you :)

matt: bro i wanted to beat you so bad LOL. you, sung, and baka are EXACTLY the kinds of players i want to keep under my thumb. LMFAO that sounds so evil. it's cuz i love you though!!! i love the hell out of you little bro, and i want to stay better than you at smash until i think you've EARNED it. I don't want you to have an unhealthy attitude towards the game, because it bleeds over into having a negative attitude in general. so step up your love of smash/life, and then i think you'll pass me up pretty easy :). ima make you work for it though!!! keep it rockin man, i felt like you outplayed me the whole set except like 10 seconds--those being the last two stocks on both games :p hit me up if you want

joey joe-joe junior shabadoo (joey leung): dude, you are as chill, if not even chiller, than i thought you were gonna be based on your posts and what i've heard of you. thank you a million times for providing amazing housing, coffee, casuals, friendly banter, and interesting discussion on the game. if you ever come to santa cruz i'd be 100% glad to have you. also i think that my fox just isn't very good; i have a kind of wimpy playstyle and my tech skill isn't that good, so i'm really afraid of challenging sheik in the close-up game. working on it though.

kadar: HOLY **** MAN YOU ARE SO COOL LMFAO. the mayor of WAX CITY BI***. your smash style is hella cool, your lingo is amazing hahahaha. "don't even bother knocking, just come threw!" "i feel it" .... "crucial." lets chill when you're in san jose and if you ever wanna come to SC feel free bro

santa barbara guys (especially COOL KID): i was really surprised by the depth of your scene. keep it rockin'. dantefox, you're really good too. dat tech skill.

dajuan: YOU GOT ***** THIS TOURNAMENT BRO!!! you can't sit on your *** and win with secondaries like you do here. also your secondaries weren't even on top of their game i felt like :p. that's what you get for being complacent! get ****ed up by nick and westballz. you're definitely still my man though, let's hang out (and play smash if u wanna) soon

WESTON MOTHER ****ING BALZAC DENNIS: YESSSSSSS DUDE YOU ARE THE KING
your enthusiasm when you play smash is ABSOLUTELY INFECTIOUS, i was losing my **** when you ****ed up dajuan in the money match. FALCON COMEBACK COMBO!!! it's like you do TAS **** in real life. also thx for smoking me out. if you're bored at tournaments (and still want to keep going to them) you should probably just trying to do the most technical, ridiculous **** with falco of all time. (as if you don't do that already!) but i wouldn't worry about getting salty or whatever so much. at the same time though, that might be your hidden power; with the capacity for great triumph (e.g., exuberantly ****** the **** out of dajuan) comes great reservoirs of SALT. i still remember you flipping of TVs; idk if you'll ever change in my mind :)

huy: thanks for your hospitality (even though we didn't fully take advantage of it!). i think you're pretty cool, but you seem uptight. don't worry about ish so much! you're also funny as hell when the true emotions come out ;).

in "we <3 katamari", the characters who represent the missions yell out to you as you get close to them. one of them goes: "HUUUU-Y!" every time i pronounced your name in my head i did it this way, and that made me infinitely happy :D :D :D

gosu engineer: holy cow thank you so much for the food. mad generous, mad cool and helpful guy

oscar and johnny: love u guys, it's really too bad we didn't get to hang out more. i felt like there was untapped hidden bro-tential. sucks about your car ride/****ty circumstances/had to leave that night/we were at a tourney instead of funday tuesday or something. good chilling again though.

sung: i still barely know you rofl. prob should've played you. i have a feeling you might **** me.

baka: same as sung, except i played you in some friendlies. both you guys might (probably would) beat me in tournament nowadays, but i'm hoping to change that decisively. i didn't switch to falcon out of pride or anything like that; homie don't play dat. i wanted to remind myself to attack THROUGH you instead of around the edge of your space like i normally do; my falcon sucks unless i do that. it seems like you care about the game a lot, or are hiding a pretty big ego, which is OK, but you don't gotta be passive aggressive about it. so it wasn't really "two can play at that game" :p :p :p :embarrass::embarrass::awesome:

that said you're actually really technical and have an interesting style. lateskies

kevin: BIG ****IN UPS FOR RUNNING DIS **** BRAH, YOU DA MANG MAH MENG. same obligatory shoutout goes to anyone else who helped run.

alVIN NYUGEN: our set was DOPE man hahaha. you're very technical, and your playstyle is awesome. I WANTED THAT SUICIDE KEN COMBO SOOOOOOOOOO BAD OMFG!!! that was one of the highlights of the tournament for me. also if you wanna pass me up: see matt's shoutout. you won't do it sitting on your azzzzz and having a ho-hum attitude towards smash. you gotta love it, man. you gotta want it and feel it. until then, you won't get better than me (or other old-school players, for that matter)

bob$$$$$: dude i love you a lot. our set was fun, i feel like i got kind of lucky; i was probably more warmed up than you. I don't feel like fox/marth on FD is so bad, just because fox equalizes damage SO FAST once he gets a grab. i heard through the grapevine you might be going through some **** right now, i hope you're doin good and keep your chin up. talk to me if you wanna! i love helping out the people i love

a rookie: you're super good man, keep it up

auxiliary shoutouts to brendan D and my momma

me: i played almost exactly as well as i thought i would. no better and no worse lol
smash is so weird for me now. it's so easy to coast through tournaments, seeing the same bros of old, doing the same thing in a different setting. i honestly don't know how i feel about the game, or about a lot of things in general, but i think the way to do it is to keep the love alive, and try to experience fresh new things. (the question is if the best way to do that is to let smash go, though!) i do still love smash; after i got back from the tournament i practiced tech skill and it felt like i had some of the old flame back, which i haven't felt practicing since my freshman year of college.

it's crazy how much tension i have in my body--i was making weird-*** faces the whole tournament! LOL. my posture was kind of ****, too. it was really interesting watching my facial tics go wild right before my set vs alvin on the livestream. really weird seeing all my gesticulations. i felt kind of "fake" this whole weekend, for lack of a better word. it's really odd, but i think there's a lot of repression in the smash community. (i def saw a lot in myself.) it's like people gravitate towards certain roles, and let those roles dictate their behavior. esp in smash: "i'm the guy who sucks," "i choke," "i'm the up-and-comer," whatever. "i'm ____, and this is usually how i act." it's like the smash community disdains change, just because experience (and on that note, status) counts for so much.

my advice to everyone is the same as my advice to myself: let your true colors show. if you don't do this then smash sucks, hard, IMO. it's too easy to absorb yourself in, and forget about what you wanna do. i think this is the best way to make the smash community healthy again.

anyyyyyyyyways
that's my digest of the weekend, all the thoughts i had about it. especially pertaining to myself, what i need to do if i want to keep playing, and keep progressing--in whatever i do.

cya round

KOcast

Smash Rookie
Streaming people - YOUR STREAM WAS AMAZING, NEVER HAD SO MUCH FUN COMMENTATING BEFORE. Hope we sort out the videos thing
We're figuring out a way to download the stream. That way we can send you a media file, which will make it easier to cut, edit, and upload to your youtube channel.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
it's really odd, but i think there's a lot of repression in the smash community. (i def saw a lot in myself.) it's like people gravitate towards certain roles, and let those roles dictate their behavior. esp in smash: "i'm the guy who sucks," "i choke," "i'm the up-and-comer," whatever. "i'm ____, and this is usually how i act." it's like the smash community disdains change, just because experience (and on that note, status) counts for so much.
What the....

This is true as ****.

Bob Money

Smash Ace
god damn that was amazing post, you're such a real ****ing dude joe.

read it twice.

imo life kind of completes itself via your passions, i feel like adam started our conversation after the tournament like every convo should be started "What are your passions, what are you passionate about?" I think if someone struggles or is embarrassed to answer that question clearly they should perhaps re-evaluate things and find things that can suffice that void. Sometimes it involves a school degree/in field job related to your passions or sometimes its just the thirst for knowledge apart from a structured school setting, i dunno. but damn your post made me think about alot of **** and i could prob type a crap load atm. but i think got my main point across.

Shroomed

Smash Master
This was probably the best tournament ever, even though I did pretty poorly. Kadar, you're cool as **** dude.

I'm definitely down to come to the next one.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
yeeeeeeeah

too bad johnny/s2j/wes never do shoutouts (anymore?). can't remember the last time they did

yes joe we'll be in touch soon. the best thing about getting rid of facebook/cell phone is that now i am forcing myself to get in the habit of calling people. expect to hear from me soon. dunno if you have my number but it's 909-634-8509

joeplicate

Smash Master
glad you guys liked it :)

got it now, adam
is that your home phone or what?
how's living without a cell phone? sounds like an interesting thing to cut

bobby are u still living in the same place in concord? maybe i could head over there to smash sometime, since you've came here enough ;)
ima be at the fudds tourney too

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
ya

i never want to go back to a cell phone. i don't want anything to do with any job that "demands" one of me (or constant e-mail vigilance), no matter how well it pays. reading and studying marshall mcluhan is emboldening my spirit to strip myself of all technology. i'm not rushing it, but i know it's in my future.

strip myself of needs one by one until i'm sitting on a lily pad, meditating on lovingkindness.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
ya

i never want to go back to a cell phone. i don't want anything to do with any job that "demands" one of me (or constant e-mail vigilance), no matter how well it pays. reading and studying marshall mcluhan is emboldening my spirit to strip myself of all technology. i'm not rushing it, but i know it's in my future.

strip myself of needs one by one until i'm sitting on a lily pad, meditating on lovingkindness.

to what end? ofc it's desirable not to be slave to tech, but idk that the other extreme is much more appealing

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
And adam I'll post about it later
will you?

to what end? ofc it's desirable not to be slave to tech, but idk that the other extreme is much more appealing
can't say for certain but i'll just throw this out there

2 hours of internet a week

uhhh that's it

i don't watch any TV shows anymore. the only programs i watch are NBA, and i'm on the verge of quitting that. never liked movies but i'll watch them if it's with a homie/woman and it's an interesting, well-reviewed, original/funny movie.

i've discovered i love research. i'll read fah days. as i transition away from the internet, reading/writing/meditating/energy work would, optimally, take up almost all my free time. working out/da homies/opposite sex/work/sleep/eat/cooking would be the rest

Top Bottom