• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate Gaming Zone Lv2. Feat. VGBootCamp MD/VA March 13,2010 *Special Announcement*

B0NK

Smash Lord
BLAH! lol there is no way im going to convince you Lil B. but if you stand by your opinion i respect that... by all means if you wanna boycott then go ahead. I honestly didn't know Apsol said it was suppose to be $5 first and then switched it to $10.. I'll have a talk with him thanks for the heads up.
Just so you know where he mentioned that:

We agree with having the $5 venue for locals
and

lol at the obvious incorrect pricing. I will tell him to fix this. As for the bringing back cheap tournaments. This venue will not be apart of that because the venue takes 50% of the venue fee. We cannotoperateat0, plus we will be paying our host, tos, and promoters from now on etc...However if people want the entry lowered I can do that. We arehopingto bring alot of new blood at each of these tournaments. So lets get some hype!
So multiple times VGBootCamp has stated their cheaper $5 venue fee policy.

Noraa

Smash Lord
i dont have a voice in this region but....

PS your wrong, the girls and the mall and stores isnt because of the venue. Your not paying the venue to go and do that stuff lol. 10 bucks is pretty high to me for a venue fee. But if thats the new standard then i dunno.

Also, i agree with tant about vg kickin the circut and getting the local tournys poppin and what not.

Bertroll

Smash Cadet
That $5 difference makes a huge difference to us poor folks, most the time it covers majority of the gas. Tournaments are so expensive, I can see people spending $40 + in a tourny at a time easily. $10 singles, $10 venue, $10 doubles, $10 gas, $5 food, etc. **** you can almost buy a new copy of brawl already, then it's so disheartening when you lose cuz it hits you how much you ended up spending for a game.

KORNNNNN~

Smash Master
That $5 difference makes a huge difference to us poor folks, most the time it covers majority of the gas. Tournaments are so expensive, I can see people spending $40 + in a tourny at a time easily. $10 singles, $10 venue, $10 doubles, $10 gas, $5 food, etc. **** you can almost buy a new copy of brawl already, then it's so disheartening when you lose cuz it hits you how much you ended up spending for a game.
I definitely agree with this... lol

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
I just want to point out this fact:

AlphaZealot basically took an Ohio tournament scene that was 1 tourney a month with 20 entrants, and made a weekly basis with 40 entrants. His effort with the help of a few others made the difference. What did he do differently? I'll denote it:

- $5 Venue at EVERY venue, doesn't matter which ones they are. $10/10 for the events.
- Personally Took time to encourage new players, and invite people to come to events. Whether it be Phone Call, Facebook, AIM, in person, whatever.
- Pools for singles at EVERY Tournament, pools for doubles when the events are bigger.
- Payouts for the top 6 players in both teams and singles, REGARDLESS of the entrants.
- Side events at MOST tournaments, alternating what side events they do.
- Great Locations for the venues to attract good local crowds
- Good advertising utilitzing both Smashboards.com AND Allisbrawl.com to make sure the tournaments are located.
- Having a GREAT TO staff to run the events.

This is what I encourage MD/VA to do. I'm co-hosting woodbridge with Kenny this week. We will actually be doing a side event on friday night most likely, but same deal.

I need to get Woodbridge on AiB. But if you want to see what a real tournament is like in Ohio and why AlphaZealot is so successful, come to woodbridge this weekend and enjoy the experience.

Noraa

Smash Lord
^^^win

FLOCKA

Aposl

Smash Ace
Hey guys I hear what you are saying and I agree with some of it. I am working on making an amiable solution to all of your complaints.However some of them are UNNECESSARY. What I will look into is lowering the entry fee, not the venue. But I want something in return. If I compromise with you guys I want your support!I have compromised a lot in all of the tournaments I have helped run. And when I do I always screw myself before others, and what do I get for it? Loyalty, trust, support? No I just get screwed. The most recent example would be the tournament I ran in Indianapolis where I agreed to switch dates for Brawl and Melee with the Illinois tournament so people could go to both. As a result less people came for Brawl and no one from Illinois except MD VA went to both! So I will lower entry to singles and doubles to 5 dollars, if all of you complainers will come. I think that is a fare deal, but if you don't come, this shows that your nature is only to instigate, and divide the community for your own personal agenda. Also i want to do pools at this tournament and am willing to discuss with my partners about paying out to 5th or whatever the new pay out system that you all have decided is best for the community currently is. I will not be bullied into this decision so come this tournament in the spirit of compromise, or stop complaining.

Also for all of those complaining about how you clean up and do this and that and don't get paid for it, that is great and it is commendable,but that is called charity. K-9 if you recollect, every tournament you have ever held, me and my brothers have usually been the only people who helped you do this, and we did it without asking for a single thing in return. But you shouldn't HAVE to run a tournament for nothing, those of you who enjoy doing it great! But that doesn't give you the right to point at others and say your doing it wrong. VGBootCamp was created to bring a new era to this community. An era that wont come cheap... I have already invested thousands, so I know personally. I wont give up or quit on you guys, so don't give up on me. If there is something you want to discuss come at me with respect and I will respect you. Dont come at me like your better, smarter,and all together a higher class of person. (you know who u are) We are all equals in this community and I want to consider everybody's needs/desires when I make a decision. Understand that sometimes I might have to wait till the next event to change the thing you want etc...

So in conclusion I would just like to say is that there are some big things coming fro VGBootCamp, please dont stop supporting us,we will be addressing alot of the things you guys are talking about and will be trying to bring you what you want.

KORNNNNN~

Smash Master
Hey guys I hear what you are saying and I agree with some of it. I am working on making an amiable solution to all of your complaints.However some of them are UNNECESSARY. What I will look into is lowering the entry fee, not the venue. But I want something in return. If I compromise with you guys I want your support!I have compromised a lot in all of the tournaments I have helped run. And when I do I always screw myself before others, and what do I get for it? Loyalty, trust, support? No I just get screwed. The most recent example would be the tournament I ran in Indianapolis where I agreed to switch dates for Brawl and Melee with the Illinois tournament so people could go to both. As a result less people came for Brawl and no one from Illinois except MD VA went to both! So I will lower entry to singles and doubles to 5 dollars, if all of you complainers will come. I think that is a fare deal, but if you don't come, this shows that your nature is only to instigate, and divide the community for your own personal agenda. Also i want to do pools at this tournament and am willing to discuss with my partners about paying out to 5th or whatever the new pay out system that you all have decided is best for the community currently is. I will not be bullied into this decision so come this tournament in the spirit of compromise, or stop complaining.

Also for all of those complaining about how you clean up and do this and that and don't get paid for it, that is great and it is commendable,but that is called charity. K-9 if you recollect, every tournament you have ever held, me and my brothers have usually been the only people who helped you do this, and we did it without asking for a single thing in return. But you shouldn't HAVE to run a tournament for nothing, those of you who enjoy doing it great! But that doesn't give you the right to point at others and say your doing it wrong. VGBootCamp was created to bring a new era to this community. An era that wont come cheap... I have already invested thousands, so I know personally. I wont give up or quit on you guys, so don't give up on me. If there is something you want to discuss come at me with respect and I will respect you. Dont come at me like your better, smarter,and all together a higher class of person. (you know who u are) We are all equals in this community and I want to consider everybody's needs/desires when I make a decision. Understand that sometimes I might have to wait till the next event to change the thing you want etc...

So in conclusion I would just like to say is that there are some big things coming fro VGBootCamp, please dont stop supporting us,we will be addressing alot of the things you guys are talking about and will be trying to bring you what you want.
that's...... BRILLIANT !!!!

Aposl

Smash Ace
Tantalus VG is only getting 5 of every 10 and we have more than 2 staff members, and our venue isnt a house. What more do you want. Do you want me to do this for free, cuz that is really what I feel like your asking. And I really should not have to even say this to begin with. What do you think we are trying to pull? by saying our venue is too high you are basically accusing us of using this community because what you are really getting at is that we are just money hungry. Well news flash! We are pumping money into this community and getting less returns. So how about you don't preach to me about what this and that costs until you have invested one penny for a non self important reason. Like I said before your goal is not to compromise, you are merely an instigator. Because when you originally made your complaint there where only two logical explanations. One: You saw this tournament and thought to yourself man I WANT to go to this but overall to much money. Or TWO: I am THE Tantulus and people want to hear my opinion about this tournament. I mean you clearly didnt want to tell me personally, because you have my telephone number and could have easily texted me, or pmd me, or emailed me not to mention been a partof planning the event. But no you like the public forum to make your grandiose declarations because you like to be heard. But do you really know what you are talking about? I mean this is usually the responsibilities on your plate before a tournament: I better get there on time so that I can make a bracket.... and that is it. Me and my brother do that and: secure the venue, pay for the venue, bye the tvs, work hard a secure a Uhual if needed, bye wiis, bought a pc just for live streaming, make invites, record matches, and alot more. But No you are THE Tantulus and if you see one thing that you dont like your immediate immature reaction is to assume the best? no its to assume the worse, criticize, and actually put effort into making our tournament do worse because of it.

And honestly Tantulus your comments do hurt, and sting more than others because I thought we had a common brotherhood. I mean, others don't get what that means, but we are Christians, we are supposed to have each other's back. I know I will be mocked for this, but it does make me angry for those reasons as well. I have also tried to include you in VG and you have resisted whole heartedly. I dont know if it has to do with you not wanting to be controlled or something, but I asked you to be a part of this because I respected your opinions, and wanted you in discussions at meetings, not on the forums. You could of helped avoid all of this drama. In the end I tried to be patient and come to some sortof compromise but you reject it.

What difference does it make if people save money entering? I mean a random scrub will be happy it is cheaper, it will grow the community, now your mad because pots will be smaller? I mean making the entries cheaper as opposed to venue saves people 10 dollars, that's an extra 5 dollars of savings. Im sure Nora and Bert would prefer that deal.

@ Korn. Lol u got me.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
People would rather have more money in the pot and pay less venue fee but, if that is not possible for you guys to do idk how many of the events I will be supporting. I may come to a few events though because its cheaper, but I don't think lowering the entry fee is a good idea.

Aposl

Smash Ace
chu I liked that idea but we have 9 complete setups. I don't even know if there will be space for more. BUT I AM WILLING TO CONSIDER IT BECAUSE I WILL COMPROMISE WITH YOU GUYS.

Lil B thanks for compromising, we can give and get a little if we work together on this. But you better be there after all the "interest" you showed in this event. lol

Also the other venues we will be supporting the 5 5 5 deal, this venue is just going to be a little more pricey. We will work to eliminate that problem in the future though.

Also to adress what Bert saidabout at the end of the tournament he feels like he could of bought another copy of Brawl.

Hes right, that's why VG needs to exist, you need to know there is an organization out there that is taking its funds it receives and putting them back into the community.I believe that we have shown, and will continue to show that is what you will get from us. I mean I am even bringing wiis to k - 9'stourney. Am i getting any of that $ no. But its for the good of the community! I love this community and want to see it thrive too guys!!

Kenrawr

Smash Master
Also for all of those complaining about how you clean up and do this and that and don't get paid for it, that is great and it is commendable,but that is called charity. K-9 if you recollect, every tournament you have ever held, me and my brothers have usually been the only people who helped you do this, and we did it without asking for a single thing in return.
I wasn't complaining about cleaning. I was just correcting Deez since he said that it takes more to clean an ordinary venue. The Originals have also helped clean btw. I appreciate all the help you guys have given me in the past.

I don't have anything against the $10 fee really. In fact I think Tant is being a little overzealous with the whole $5 venue thing. If people don't show up then that's your guys' problem, not Tant's. I just hope you guys benefit us in some way to warrant that extra, seemingly unnecessary extra $5.

Also the other venues we will be supporting the 5 5 5 deal
I love pizza!

Aposl

Smash Ace
Tant's "problem" as you put it, isnt if we get attendance, its that I have more than once offered him a place to have some influence from the inside of our organization, and he just seems hell bent on bashing us in the public eye, this is a personal problem I believe. And like I said coming from someone else wouldn't upset me as much. I just thought he was my brother.

As for the 5 bucks I have already clearly stated where the money is going, just read the thread before you post. It makes us look bad when you say seemingly unnecessary when I have pointed out why it is neccessarry sevceral times.

I take a lot of pride in my name and the name of VG, even accidentally I don't like things being said or even implied that make us look bad, when we have never once done anything with the intent to screw anyoneover, and have helped others out on a regular basis.

Kenrawr

Smash Master
I said seems! Almost anyone can just run a tourney free of charge you know!

btw, you should only make that extra 10% of the pot or w/e available to people who have participated in your "circuit". It would be lame if like Ally/M2K came down and just scooped it up at the end. Just an opinion ;x!

I understand if you just want a bonus pot to attract said people in the first place :p

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Good grief

Just because we have a commonbond through faith doesnt mean i cant disagree with your way of business

Last time i checked this is an opinion based forum so im entitled to post my opinion

I think VG can make a profit using college venues like you originally planned to

Dont use deez venue then not only vg but ugz has to get paid too, run events separately

Also, i do quite a bit of work running events besides duties the day of, yes you guys do a lot more than i do but you have a lot to learn about running a business

Also, avg attendance at 10 venue events lately has been about 20. Enjoy your 200 bucks, OR you can just charge 5 and get 40 people to come, and you get the same amount of money, i dont see why that would be a problem

Chew on that for a min and give me a call if you have questions

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
I need to get into the tournament scene and this seems like a good place to start. Ill try and make a couple of these (if not all xD) Plus ill drag my bro and maybe a couple friends.

Hope im not interrupting the huge posts going on here....any more and it will be a novel o_o

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
I wish they didn't go out of business...their last one was my first tourney =/

And no problem Jbandit, you're not interrupting anything :p

Deez.

Smash Lord
I wanna know why I'm gettin crucified when I have no choice.. It's none of you guys business but I don't get any of the venue money.. and what the business doesn't get VGbootcamp gets.. Why am i being thrown under the bus lookin like the bad guy in all this? This is really irritating. If i had a choice I would make it $5 but I don't. If you people remember when i used to host tournaments at my house.. I prolly had the cheapest of all cheapest venues.. I think I had it $2. I didn't care about making money I just loved the game. But since it seems everyone is trying to blame me for something I have no control over.. the *** it!

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
wheres cyberden when you need them.....
Best venue cause it was so close. Though I like Hat's venues the best because he is even closer to me then that.

This thread turned into a LOL fest. I'm laughing, dieing, crapping, and eating at the same time. :):bee::):bee::chuckle::ohwell::lick:
I wasn't complaining about cleaning. I was just correcting Deez since he said that it takes more to clean an ordinary venue. The Originals have also helped clean btw. I appreciate all the help you guys have given me in the past.

I don't have anything against the $10 fee really. In fact I think Tant is being a little overzealous with the whole $5 venue thing. If people don't show up then that's your guys' problem, not Tant's. I just hope you guys benefit us in some way to warrant that extra, seemingly unnecessary extra $5.

I love pizza!
Dammnit. Now I'm hungry for pizzaaaaaaaaaaaa.

ChuDat

Smash Master
instead of 10$ venue fee and 50% going to the venue

make it 5 $ 100% going to the venue
This was already suggested. It won't work because VGBC needs to "make dat money". They already invested in a tournament business so they can't do everything for free. Though, I really admire those out there that are running tournaments for free and for the love of this game :bee:.

Deez, ur good. Don't worry about ****. I don't think everyone thinks you are a bad guy. People are just complaining about this $5 venue fee thing because they don't have anything else to do haha. I already suggested something that WILL work for both parties (Complainers vs. VGBC, Reduce the Venue fee by $5 for the first 5 people that bring a Wii), but it was tossed aside and people are still arguing about it. Let them complain. The venue fee stays at $10. If they are cool with it, they will come. If not, then they won't come. Everyone can't be happy in this situation. Complainers should just follow what Lil B is doing and host their own $5 venue fee tournaments.

Deez.

Smash Lord
This was already suggested. It won't work because VGBC needs to "make dat money". They already invested in a tournament business so they can't do everything for free. Though, I really admire those out there that are running tournaments for free and for the love of this game :bee:.

Deez, ur good. Don't worry about ****. I don't think everyone thinks you are a bad guy. People are just complaining about this $5 venue fee thing because they don't have anything else to do haha. I already suggested something that WILL work for both parties (Complainers vs. VGBC, Reduce the Venue fee by $5 for the first 5 people that bring a Wii), but it was tossed aside and people are still arguing about it. Let them complain. The venue fee stays at $10. If they are cool with it, they will come. If not, then they won't come. Everyone can't be happy in this situation. Complainers should just follow what Lil B is doing and host their own $5 venue fee tournaments.
lol Good ****. Chu:laugh:

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR

This is aposl: actually we are going to do this. I suggested it when we planned the event. Was shot down, then agreed with, when this argument took place. So, your voice has been heard, and thanks for the reasonable suggestion.

Takeover1806

Smash Champion
Dude, I feel bad for vgbootcamp people. investing in wii's and games and ****, putting themselves in debt to help a community that complains when they try to make 5 bucks back for themselves (to put towards their debt) LOL.

Same community that begs me to host a smashfest while everyone else is in Indianapolis, for 2 bucks a person to appease my roommates, when I work at 8am the next day, when I slept for 3 hours the night before... I give in and 2/25 people pay me (thank you freezewish, and I think June) so I have to pay my roommates the difference, not to mention feeling sh*tty at work the next day. Oh, and not too mention the mess, and people leaving 3.5 hours after the smashfest was supposed to be over. Sh*t gets old! just sayin...

Edit: This is (obviously) sassy.

ChuDat

Smash Master
Don't sweat it Sassy. Just consider it as a lesson learned. Sometimes you just have to learn when to put your foot down. It seems like you are being taken advantage of. Don't let that happen again. If people say they will give you $2 so that YOU have to go out of your way to make these people happy, then you have every right to charge these people when they walk into your door. It's not easy having a **** load of smashers in your home. You should learn to make yourself happy before anyone else. Host smashfests and make sure that you charge everyone next time so that you are happy. Everyone will eventually start to respect your house. Once everyone respects you and your home, then everything will be cool :bee:.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Dude, I feel bad for vgbootcamp people. investing in wii's and games and ****, putting themselves in debt to help a community that complains when they try to make 5 bucks back for themselves (to put towards their debt) LOL.

Same community that begs me to host a smashfest while everyone else is in Indianapolis, for 2 bucks a person to appease my roommates, when I work at 8am the next day, when I slept for 3 hours the night before... I give in and 2/25 people pay me (thank you freezewish, and I think June) so I have to pay my roommates the difference, not to mention feeling sh*tty at work the next day. Oh, and not too mention the mess, and people leaving 3.5 hours after the smashfest was supposed to be over. Sh*t gets old! just sayin...

I payed. :mad:

KORNNNNN~

Smash Master

no need to edit it, we all know Takeover will never talk nice like this D:<

junebug

Smash Journeyman

aw dang, other people didn't pay you? :( im sorry SASSY.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
so where is this first tournament gonna be in the MD/VA area? I can't find it on the first page Dx

(me = fail)

Top Bottom