• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Gates

Banned via Warnings
umm ok?

Not only did you totally not get the joke but at this point I don't really care about getting banned anymore.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
That's a completely off-topic discussion that would be best saved for personal or visitor messages. Nothing to see here, folks. Just keep talking about the game in a civil and controlled manner.

Speaking of which, PSN time. Someone fight me please?

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
That's a completely off-topic discussion that would be best saved for personal or visitor messages. Nothing to see here, folks. Just keep talking about the game in a civil and controlled manner.

Speaking of which, PSN time. Someone fight me please?
Too bad its imposssible to do either of thse things with gates. :glare:

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
reminiscent of merkuri

sometimes we just gotta ignore inflammatory stuff, but peacefully discuss anything he says about the game

gotta just stay cool

be cool yolanda

*****, be cool.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
You're right, it would be best saved for PMs or VMs.

But I disabled them both so we have to talk about it here. :awesome:

What'd you get infracted for?
Being off-topic, and I have to admit I was. I pretty much said nothing that was explicitly Marvel related in that post.

So anyway, once I get back home to my PS3 at the end of next week I'm going to try out a new team once I'm finished ****ing it. The team is Magneto-A/Wesker-B/Dormammu-A. I've talked about Magneto/Wesker synergy before so I won't go into too much detail here. Dormammu is there to use the meter both of them have built up late in the game, use his Dark Hole assist to continue Wesker's OTG combos, and just generally cover weaknesses that the two of them have.

Thoughts? Tips? Combos?

Savon

Smash Ace
Just got home from getting all of my wisdom teeth pulled so I am just sitting at home bored as hell right now in extreme pain. I still can't feel my face and I am on a 3 day liquid diet. I WOULD just play Marvel all day but my ps3 is in the back of the house and since I am on bedrest my mom will not let me go in the back in play since there is no bed. I am prob not gonna be online until next weekend unless I sneak to play.

I realized that comboing is NOT my biggest weakness in this game. It is my defense. I have trouble blocking correctly and as a result people combo be easy as hell. No idea how to fix that though.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
1 tip

hop off the sack
:troll:
Que?

Get the Rom down. That's all I can say
Yeah, MegamanDS posted a tutorial for Magneto's noveau-Rom and his basic fly combo, so I'm planning on learning both of those as well as the Hypergrav corner combo and Wesker's BnB. I also know Dormammu's basic combos, I just need to brush up on them and get used to the timing on the Dark Dimension -> OTG Purification -> Chaotic Flame combo ender (best 4 meters ever spent).

Any advice besides that?

Just got home from getting all of my wisdom teeth pulled so I am just sitting at home bored as hell right now in extreme pain. I still can't feel my face and I am on a 3 day liquid diet.
That sucks man. I remember when mine got pulled and I couldn't ea solid food for a long time. I nearly starved.

Did they give you the nitrous though? They did for me. It was the first time I got high. And also the best.

I realized that comboing is NOT my biggest weakness in this game. It is my defense. I have trouble blocking correctly and as a result people combo be easy as hell. No idea how to fix that though.
Blocking is hard if you're not familiar with it. Try playing against the computer or a friend or a random online guy on player match and spend the first 50 seconds of the match blocking. Do this a couple times and you'll get used to mixup patterns and basic blockstrings for certain characters.

Generally though, block low when you're on the ground and if you think they'll come at you high with overheads and aerial attacks and **** use up-back to block. Unless you're Sentinel or another large hitbox character, then you should just about always use up-back to block. Amaterasu and Arthur are also exceptions since they have such small crouching hitboxes so they can always block low and be pretty safe.

I have a $40 MM coming up sometime in the summer so I need to prepare for that. The guy I'm playing against is kind of unpredictable with his team choices, but I'm expecting to be up against some combination of Hulk, Ryu, Skrull, Cap, and Wolvie. Any advice? I know general strategies but nothing specific about Wesker and Magneto against these characters.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Oh, man, I had mine pulled not even a month ago. That sucked. Hope you have a speedier recovery than I did.

Minato, good games. I am terrible at fighting Zero. You definitely shouldn't have thrown out that Sentinel assist as often as you did, though, because X-23 punished it almost every time. Dark Phoenix saved me in every game I won.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Thats what Dark Phoenix Does. She's the "Im afraid of losing Character"

Work on them OTG reset's with Wesker and Dark hole, just in case you have no bars. Air grab reset, OTG, Cr.M, Etc. Don't be afraid to find another character for your team if you're running maggy/wesker. Someone with a long lasting projectile assist so you can tri jump cross up, for a free rom.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Phoenix - "Im afraid of losing"
Sentinel - "I'll do whatever it takes to win"

What I did for blocking is I. Sharingan everyone's moves and remember which angles they can come from. Also using the playback system will help in training mode. I think the easiest thing to do for Block practicing is playing a Zero Main. Since they'll always use mix up's. Over heads etc. I mean, that's what I use to do in TvC Practice block vs Zero, Yatterman-1, Hurricane Polimar. People who can cross up, or have extremely fast over heads and etc.

Savon

Smash Ace
That is sig material. Every character has something like that which can generally sum up all of the people who play them.

Ryu- "I want damaging combos with as little effort as possible"
Zero- "Long as hell sword combos into TASTE THE RAINBOW hyper"
Doom- "HIDDEN MISSLES, PLASMA BEAM!!!"

And yeah Serris I hope i recover fast too. The only unbearable part is this effing 3 day liquid diet and the huge holes in my mouth because of the cysts

_Dice

Smash Ace
i watched my first hsien ko **** of dark pheonix the other day and the more i look at it the more i realize hsien ko is like a hard counter to dark pheonix. Oh god it's so fun to watch.

gold Armor can control it.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Healing Field, Block's all of Hsien-Ko's Approaches. Gain hp's, Waits till armor runs out. GG

Morrigan - "I was like Shadow Blade, Shadow Blade, Shadow Blade, Soul Fist"
Chun Li - "Anything to Air Down M, M, M, M"

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Work on them OTG reset's with Wesker and Dark hole, just in case you have no bars. Air grab reset, OTG, Cr.M, Etc.
Right. I'm trying to think of more resets with Wesker but so far nothing's coming to me. Magneto is a reset machine though.

Don't be afraid to find another character for your team if you're running maggy/wesker. Someone with a long lasting projectile assist so you can tri jump cross up, for a free rom.
See, the thing is that it's kind of hard to find an assist that's both good for getting in with and can be used to extend Wesker's combos. Magneto's Disruptor Disruptor Disruptor is good for supporting Wesker's approach as an assist but idk if it can continue his combos after the OTG gun. Conversely, Wesker's gun is only good for creating Magneto's unblockables but not for getting in. I suppose I am kind of banking on my opponent not playing a zoning team. I guess Dante's Weasel Shot assist would work but my Dante really sucks lol and it seems like he'd be a lot harder for me to learn than if I were to just re-learn Dormammu.

Phoenix - "Im afraid of losing"
Sentinel - "I'll do whatever it takes to win"
That is sig material. Every character has something like that which can generally sum up all of the people who play them.

Ryu- "I want damaging combos with as little effort as possible"
Zero- "Long as hell sword combos into TASTE THE RAINBOW hyper"
Doom- "HIDDEN MISSLES, PLASMA BEAM!!!"
More like:

Phoenix - "I'm a flamer"
Sentinel - "I fist"
Ryu - "I want to punish assists with as little effort as possible"
Zero - "I want an aggressive character with moves that are so safe I could put my kids' college fund in them"
Doom - "HIDDEN MISSILES, PLASMA BEAM, FOOT DIVE!!! I'm done here."

amirite?

(I'm sorry I couldn't think of more gay jokes)

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Right. I'm trying to think of more resets with Wesker but so far nothing's coming to me. Magneto is a reset machine though.

See, the thing is that it's kind of hard to find an assist that's both good for getting in with and can be used to extend Wesker's combos. Magneto's Disruptor Disruptor Disruptor is good for supporting Wesker's approach as an assist but idk if it can continue his combos after the OTG gun. Conversely, Wesker's gun is only good for creating Magneto's unblockables but not for getting in. I suppose I am kind of banking on my opponent not playing a zoning team. I guess Dante's Weasel Shot assist would work but my Dante really sucks lol and it seems like he'd be a lot harder for me to learn than if I were to just re-learn Dormammu.

More like:

Phoenix - "I'm a flamer"
Sentinel - "I fist"

amirite?
Gates you crack me up xD. Well In all honesty. Dante is very easy to pick up. Like just dumb him down to like combo's you know that will work. Don't be like DP M, Jump Dj. etc. Just keep it simple. But Someone with a good assist like Sent. or Chun Li's Y something that causes people to be in block stun they go for an unblockable. Hell even Akuma tatsu.

Direct Assist are the way to go.

_Dice

Smash Ace
Healing Field, Block's all of Hsien-Ko's Approaches. Gain hp's, Waits till armor runs out. GG

more specifically, an anki-Hou H followed by senpu bu M in gold armor as DP is rising, and DP gets hit before X factor can start, which allows you to combo into Senpu bu M into air heavy into launcher into stuff into special into OTG super X factor OTG super, guaranteed dead DP when timed right at the start every single time. the 2nd OTG super depends on your timing, you only need it when you were too early with the senpu bu.

EDIT: possibly the ONLY thing hsien ko is good for aside from assist.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Gatesie-kun~

Use a zoning team against the guy you are MM'ing.

If he only has one projectile character then he is gonna have a hard time, especially if it's only Ryu.

Gates

Banned via Warnings

More like:

Morrigan - "May the earth shatter; May the oceans dry; May the sun extinguish itself; Grant us the power of Our Lord Satan in Hell. We are demons! Demon High-Class Commanders!"
Chun - "Yup Yup Yup" repeat infinitely

amirite?

Gates you crack me up xD. Well In all honesty. Dante is very easy to pick up. Like just dumb him down to like combo's you know that will work. Don't be like DP M, Jump Dj. etc. Just keep it simple. But Someone with a good assist like Sent. or Chun Li's Y something that causes people to be in block stun they go for an unblockable. Hell even Akuma tatsu.

Direct Assist are the way to go.
I know Akuma's Tatsu is what Yipes uses and I've thought about Chun's legs a lot (and also about putting them on my team masturbation joke), Tron's flame, and even Haggar's Lariat for assists. The problem with Sentinel is that not only is he easy to punish but I also don't think drones will extend Wesker's OTG combos.

I suppose if I learn the Rom though I should be able to learn Dante's combos. I'll keep it in mind.

more specifically, an anki-Hou H followed by senpu bu M in gold armor as DP is rising, and DP gets hit before X factor can start, which allows you to combo into Senpu bu M into air heavy into launcher into stuff into special into OTG super X factor OTG super, guaranteed dead DP when timed right at the start every single time. the 2nd OTG super depends on your timing, you only need it when you were too early with the senpu bu.

EDIT: possibly the ONLY thing hsien ko is good for aside from assist.
Cool. So where did you see this? Was Jwong doing it?

Gatesie-kun~

Use a zoning team against the guy you are MM'ing.

If he only has one projectile character then he is gonna have a hard time, especially if it's only Ryu.
But my darling, he knows my Sentinel too well. I can't just super armor my way too victory anymore. You're too fragile my love.

This guy is also pretty random and I haven't played him in 6 weeks. He could be using anyone right now.

_Dice

Smash Ace
Cool. So where did you see this? Was Jwong doing it?
Computer did it to me, i just added the combo afterwards. was playing in training mode vs computer as Pheonix/DP to practice not being hit, and when i turned into DP vs a gold armor hsien ko she did that and took a bunch of life off, but never finished up the combo (didn't do the launcher combo into OTG super)

i tried to play Hsien ko for about a week so i knew that senpu M combos into a full air combo otherwise i wouldn't have thought anything of it.

also, use Skrull as your third gates, with the tendorizor assist you can do some crazy mixups as characters are coming in, skrull is good vs pheonix and dp, tendorizor (or orbital grudge) assists are good for continuing combo's as well as making a pretty good AA shield for a keep away game.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Gates that is a tough one, if he is always changing teams then IDK what can help.

Just get godlike with Magneto/Wesker/Dormammu :D

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Serris blew me up. I only won 4 matches. xD

Pheonix isn't that bad I guess. ADVANCING GUARD.

Edit: You think I'm good with Viper? That's very interesting cause I struggle with her a lot. Thank God 4 dat ***!

ss118

Smash Master
What kind of "teams" are there in MvC3 so far?

I've heard of trap teams as well as general rushdown teams, and then there's the infamous Phoenix teams and J-wong's troll team(s?). Has anyone developed a solid version of a "Chip" team?

ss118

Smash Master
I think Floe made a team specifically to deal with Phoenix style teams(and still lost to Clockw0rk).

The only thing people go "ugh" more about than full team Dark Phoenix comeback is a lvl 3 X-factor Sentinel comeback.

Personally I like Phoenix teams. That's why we should play. =P

(Alas my PS3 only connects via ethernet cable so I rarely have the opportunity for online play...)

Gates

Banned via Warnings
also, use Skrull as your third gates, with the tendorizor assist you can do some crazy mixups as characters are coming in, skrull is good vs pheonix and dp, tendorizor (or orbital grudge) assists are good for continuing combo's as well as making a pretty good AA shield for a keep away game.
I guess Orbital Grudge might work for extending combos, but it really just kinda seems like a worse version of Akuma's Tatsumaki (which I believe has invincibility wheras Skrull's doesn't).

And why would I want to keep away if I'm playing Magneto and Wesker? You could pair the two of them up with Arthur and you'd still have to play it like a rushdown team.

What kind of "teams" are there in MvC3 so far?

I've heard of trap teams as well as general rushdown teams, and then there's the infamous Phoenix teams and J-wong's troll team(s?). Has anyone developed a solid version of a "Chip" team?
There are no trap teams in this game because there are no frame perfect traps in this game. There are no teams based on chipping out in this game because X-Factor negates chip damage, meaning that it would be pointless. Zoning teams also suck because zoning characters suck.

There's only one type of viable team in MvC3 right now and that's rushdown. To make a rushdown team, pick three of the following characters:

Akuma
Amaterasu
Viper
Chun
Dante
Felicia
Haggar
Hulk
Iron Man
Jill
Magneto
Phoenix
Sentinel
She-Hulk
Spencer
Spiderman
Skrull
Taskmaster
Tron
Thor
Joe
Wesker
Wolverine
X-23
Zero

Make a team out of them and focus on learning that.

I don't know whether I should feel complimented or insulted by this.
Probably neither. Art doesn't really know what he's talking about.

I think Floe made a team specifically to deal with Phoenix style teams(and still lost to Clockw0rk).
That's because Clockw0rk also has an excellent doom and an excellent Amaterasu.

Top Bottom