• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Well, they clearly stated it is not a copy of Minecraft.
They say it is completely different, but they got some ideas of it.
Notch even likes the idea.

How do you feel about it now?

To me, it looks pretty interesting. It will most likely not be so good it takes over Minecraft, but it is something.
Mmm, nope. Still feels like "Minecraft-But-Not-Really-We-Swear-It", to be honest.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Well, they clearly stated it is not a copy of Minecraft.
They say it is completely different, but they got some ideas of it.
Notch even likes the idea.

How do you feel about it now?

To me, it looks pretty interesting. It will most likely not be so good it takes over Minecraft, but it is something.
Can you explain the blocky visuals, then?

But, yeah... I'm still not interested...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh my word I just hit 500 likes. Probably not big for most of you guys but wHaT

D

Deleted member

So, is it good that I win against every lvl9 CPU?
Or a huge number of people can do so already?
It's not 'competitive good', because if you're countering a lv9 CPU you're definitely not dealing with a human playstyle or reaction time.

CPUs are built to react in certain ways to certain situations, and they generally don't mix up their playstyle. So if you become good at fighting a lv9 CPU, you don't necessarily get good at fighting a lot of people, but rather one kind of person.

There's also the fact that a lot of people don't run into charged smash attacks and have super reaction times to certain kinds of hits (like geez some of the parries that happen are so stupid to begin with lmao).

D

Deleted member

Personally I don't think procedurally generated block building sandboxes fit as single player experiences whatsoever, but that's probably just me.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Yeah I did lol but imagine if everyone did go from copying Minecraft to copying DQB? That would be a mess
A never-ending spiral of copycats.

Minecraft; I'm a unique and interesting thing!
Dragon Quest Builders: Let's copy Minecraft!
Construction Cubes: Let's copy Dragon Quest Builders!
Block Town USA: Let's copy Construction Cubes!
Box City: Let's copy Block Town USA!
Brickville: Let's copy Box City!
...And so on.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
There's a clear difference between copying and taking inspiration.

Copying is when you try to make something, while trying to disguise it as something else. Just look at Icons, one of the worst smash ripoffs ever. The characters have the same movesets and themes to them, it also copies Overwatch's UI. It tries too hard to be Smash, and fails miserably.

Taking inspiration is when you analyze something and add your own twist to it. Rivals of Aether takes inspiration on Smash, but adds it's own touches, such as characters with different playstyles, unique mechanics, it's own visual style, etc. It pretty much only uses Smash as a base, which is then modified to create it's own identity. Other than the fact that both are platform fighters, they are pretty different.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
There's a clear difference between copying and taking inspiration.

Copying is when you try to make something, while trying to disguise it as something else. Just look at Icons, one of the worst smash ripoffs ever. The characters have the same movesets and themes to them, it also copies Overwatch's UI. It tries too hard to be Smash, and fails miserably.

Taking inspiration is when you analyze something and add your own twist to it. Rivals of Aether takes inspiration on Smash, but adds it's own touches, such as characters with different playstyles, unique mechanics, it's own visual style, etc. It pretty much only uses Smash as a base, which is then modified to create it''s own identity. Other than the fact that both are platform fighters, they are pretty different.
A good example would be my game. It is a 2D collectathon, which is something I have never seen done before. Unless it has, and I’m dumb.

D

Deleted member

Taking inspiration is when you analyze something and add your own twist to it. Rivals of Aether takes inspiration on Smash, but adds it's own touches, such as characters with different playstyles, unique mechanics, it's own visual style, etc. It pretty much only uses Smash as a base, which is then modified to create it's own identity. Other than the fact that both are platform fighters, they are pretty different.
I am not saying I love Hytale to death, but Hytale takes inspiration from Minecraft rather than straight up copying it.

D

Deleted member

*Game from a new studio has a blocky aesthetic but unique concept for gameplay by mixing it with RPG elements*
Ya'll: "boo minecraft carbon copy"
*Major company literally releases two Dragon Quest Builders games*
Ya'll: *cheers and applause*

D

Deleted member

*Game from a new studio has a blocky aesthetic but unique concept for gameplay by mixing it with RPG elements*
‘Cause it doesn’t have the blocky aesthetic I think.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
This kind of stuff is why I hate the game market nowadays. People only care about copying successful titles and forget to make their own original stuff. You can clearly see that the team that developed that has skill, but they decided to waste it in a ripoff that people will forget soon after release.
Where’s the line between riping someone off and simply being inspired by them. Look at gaming in the past. All the platformers and action games made to capitalize on that trend, but we didn’t say they were all “Mario ripoffs” or “DMC ripoffs”. No, we simply said they were in the same genre. “Copying” someone else and taking it in a different direction is how a genre grows. And any one developer shouldn’t have a monopoly on an entire concept.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I really could care less about Dragon Quest. Also, it is mostly the art style, and some of the animations. The RPG elements sound interesting, but it kinda just feels like a Minecraft rip off with RPG elements. It all depends on how it will be executed, though.
Where’s the line between riping someone off and simply being inspired by them. Look at gaming in the past. All the platformers and action games made to capitalize on that trend, but we didn’t say they were all “Mario ripoffs” or “DMC ripoffs”. No, we simply said they were in the same genre. “Copying” someone else and taking it in a different direction is how a genre grows. And any one developer shouldn’t have a monopoly on an entire concept.
Banjo Kazooie ain’t no Mario 64, I’ll tell ya that much. Two games in the same genre aren’t ripoffs.

D

Deleted member

hey assholes play hyper light drifter it's good as hell and very pretty ok bye

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I really could care less about Dragon Quest. Also, it is mostly the art style, and some of the animations. The RPG elements sound interesting, but it kinda just feels like a Minecraft rip off with RPG elements. It all depends on how it will be executed, though.

Banjo Kazooie ain’t no Mario 64, I’ll tell ya that much. Two games in the same genre aren’t ripoffs.
Yesterday I had quite a few people tell me it was a “Mario 64 clone”. Which it’s not. People say all kinds of things about games that aren’t true just to insult it.

D

Deleted member

imagine going to a local tournament for ultimate and hbox sits next to you, pulls out a gamecube, and whips this **** out
46dc5d7-1.jpg

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Yesterday I had quite a few people tell me it was a “Mario 64 clone”. Which it’s not. People say all kinds of things about games that aren’t true just to insult it.
I’m not gonna say something’s a rip off just to insult it. Heck, Hytale could be good, who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom