• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
*Game from a new studio has a blocky aesthetic but unique concept for gameplay by mixing it with RPG elements*
Ya'll: "boo minecraft carbon copy"
*Major company literally releases two Dragon Quest Builders games*
Ya'll: *cheers and applause*
Not me. :4wario2:
Where’s the line between riping someone off and simply being inspired by them. Look at gaming in the past. All the platformers and action games made to capitalize on that trend, but we didn’t say they were all “Mario ripoffs” or “DMC ripoffs”. No, we simply said they were in the same genre. “Copying” someone else and taking it in a different direction is how a genre grows. And any one developer shouldn’t have a monopoly on an entire concept.
You're ripping something off when the product feels like the same thing, except with a different skin. You're taking inspiration when there are clear and notable differences between the 2 products. Back in the day, people actually tried to make their games unique, that's why most people didn't call them Mario ripoffs. Sonic has the speed and different style of level design. Kirby has a different playstyle. Metroid isn't linear and focus on exploring. Same applies to action games. There's also more than just gameplay, like the artistic and musical direction of the games, the story, etc.

Lollipopped

Smash Lord
Oh god, I remember Icons Combat Arena. That game is a ****ing dumpster fire.
I was on the fence about it at one point because of the clonky hit noises and the cheap mobile game-esque character designs and the fact that it was a blatant Smash knock-off, but the micro transactions sealed it for me. Not touching that game with a 100-foot pole.

I still ask myself: Project M really died for this? Why?!

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Not me. :4wario2:

You're ripping something off when the product feels like the same thing, except with a different skin. You're taking inspiration when there are clear and notable differences between the 2 products. Back in the day, people actually tried to make their games unique, that's why most people didn't call them Mario ripoffs. Sonic has the speed and different style of level design. Kirby has a different playstyle. Metroid isn't linear and focus on exploring. Same applies to action games. There's also more than just gameplay, like the artistic and musical direction of the games, the story, etc.
Alright then. What makes this new title (I can’t remember the name) a rip-off. Because I would argue that the blocky-aesthetic is necessary for the gameplay of a Minecraft type game. The 3D grid system just makes building things easier, and the blocky aesthetic fit that mold. So if you want to make a game with a crafting system like Minecraft, you have to do that.

D

Deleted member

I was on the fence about it at one point because of the clonky hit noises and the cheap mobile game-esque character designs and the fact that it was a blatant Smash knock-off, but the micro transactions sealed it for me. Not touching that game with a 100-foot pole.

Daily reminder Salvado was a creator of Project M and also made DDLC

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
*Game from a new studio has a blocky aesthetic but unique concept for gameplay by mixing it with RPG elements*
Ya'll: *cheers and applause*
DQB is really different then Minecraft but you wouldnt know, would you?

osby

Smash Obsessed

Because some people thinks just because they can mod a game, they can make a real game for some reason.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Finally, someone understands Hytale.
Hytale is not trying to mooch off of Minecraft, but they are just taking inspiration for it, because the studio that is making it made Hypixel. Hypixel is a popular Minecraft server if you are curious.

They even stated that it is quite different.

Saying "Hytale is a copy of Minecraft" is like saying "Terraria is a copy of Minecraft".
What company and what games?

Last edited by a moderator:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I didn’t know that! Interesting!
Alright then. What makes this new title (I can’t remember the name) a rip-off. Because I would argue that the blocky-aesthetic is necessary for the gameplay of a Minecraft type game. The 3D grid system just makes building things easier, and the blocky aesthetic fit that mold. So if you want to make a game with a crafting system like Minecraft, you have to do that.
Certain aspects are just too simmiliar to me. The only thing that feels different are the RPG elements.
Hytale is not trying to mooch off of Minecraft, but they are just taking inspiration for it, because the studio that is making it made Hypixel. Hypixel is a popular Minecraft server if you are curious.

Saying "Hytale is a copy of Minecraft" is like saying "Terraria is a copy of Minecraft".

What do you mean?
It’s not that we don’t understand it, we just have a different opinion.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
So, what’s a good place to release Undead Underdog on?
Depends on what you want, honestly. While Steam usually comes to mind when thinking about releasing an indie game, it has been infested with awful games that make it hard to find good games in there. If your game doesn't have a great first impression, people will probably consider it another awful indie game without even touching it. If your game looks outstanding, it might catch people's attention, but it's still not the best place to release a game.

If you are creating an indie game with a lot of effort and polish put into it, I'd recommend creating a site for it and investing on advertising. That way the game will have it's own unique image, since it won't be just another indie game among a bunch of awful ones, and you'll get to keep the majority of the money from the sales, since Steam keeps part of the money for themselves, since you used it's platform.

It all comes down to how much you think your game is worth. If it's just some indie game you guys made for fun, put it on Steam and tells your friends about it. If you want to make a big project, make your own site and focus on advertising and taking feedback to improve it further.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

What company and what games?
Also, stating that is is different doesn’t mean it ain’t a rip off.
Depends on what you want, honestly. While Steam usually comes to mind when thinking about releasing an indie game, it has been infested with awful games that make it hard to find good games in there. If your game doesn't have a great first impression, people will probably consider it another awful indie game without even touching it. If your game looks outstanding, it might catch people's attention, but it's still not the best place to release a game.

If you are creating an indie game with a lot of effort and polish put into it, I'd recommend creating a site for it and investing on advertising. That way the game will have it's own unique image, since it won't be just another indie game among a bunch of awful ones, and you'll get to keep the majority of the money from the sales, since Steam keeps part of the money for themselves, since you used it's platform.

It all comes down to how much you think your game is worth. If it's just some indie game you guys made for fun, put it on Steam and tells your friends about it. If you want to make a big project, make your own site and focus on advertising and taking feedback to improve it further.
It is a bit of both. I will probably have it’s own website and a steam release.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Steam is probably the best place. But there are always going to be people like me who can’t play it unless it’s on a console. So even if you can’t do that now, try to get a console release in the future.
Dang man I love steak!

But yeah, I may do a console port in the future.

Lollipopped

Smash Lord
Because some people thinks just because they can mod a game, they can make a real game for some reason.
Ikr? I may be able to replace some textures and swap some animations, but trust me with a whole project and there will undoubtedly be a trail of broken dreams, pissed staff members and possibly a burning building. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
The game looks like Minecraft with some fancy texture pack applied to it and some random mods. It still has the same basic concept of Minecraft, building and surviving. Even the community aspect of it looks like they just took some Minecraft servers and their minigames and decided to add it to the main game.
It lacks uniqueness from what I've seen of it. Everything it has was already done with Minecraft. Just because it has better visuals and better animations it doesn't count as an unique game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Except it really isn't.

Terraria takes the core concept of Minecraft and then tries to do something new with it, Boss Battle, Magic, Equipment, etc. it focuses far more on the combat aspect, rather then 'build whatever you can think off' side of Minecraft.

Hytale on the other hand, seems to do the same thing as Minecraft, while going 'wow guys, we're definitely not copying Minecraft!' when they really are. It just seems to be another generic rip-off with the signifying difference off 'we have animation'.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The game looks like Minecraft with some fancy texture pack applied to it and some random mods. It still has the same basic concept of Minecraft, building and surviving. Even the community aspect of it looks like they just took some Minecraft servers and their minigames and decided to add it to the main game.
It lacks uniqueness from what I've seen of it. Everything it has was already been done with Minecraft. Just because it has better visuals and better animations it doesn't count as an unique game.
So.... only Minecraft can do Minecraft. Because anyone else that tries to do a similar thing can’t help but “copy” them.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So.... only Minecraft can do Minecraft. Because anyone else that tries to do a similar thing can’t help but “copy” them.
Look, when you're game is even kinda similar to one of the biggest games in the world, people are gonna notice...

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
You literally just said it yourself. Minecraft is Minecraft, other games can't be Minecraft, but they can try to be something with a similar aspect. DQB has the whole building and surviving thing, but has Dragon Quest elements on it, even the visual direction. Maple Story 2 has the blocky world visuals, but has different gameplay. Hytale looks like Minecraft, plays like Minecraft and is advertised like Minecraft.

Lollipopped

Smash Lord
On the subject of Hytale vs Minecraft, I can't really add much considering I never played Minecraft. But there's no denying that Hytale looks...suspiciously similar to Minecraft. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

D

Deleted member

I am having an internal debate about whether or not I'm going to attempt to get all the collectables in KH3. The Lucky Emblems are tied to the secret ending, so I'll probably use a guide to pick up the ones I missed once I hit endgame. As for the Ultima Weapon? ...Ehhhh, I've never gone for it before, and I'm not sure I really see a reason to this playthrough. Ever After, Hunny Spout, and Favorite Deputy already decimate things, so I'm not sure how rewarding grinding out Ultima would even be compared to those at this point.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Man, I'm so glad I don't have to go to school this semester.
"How people dare having gay ships!"
It’s only bad if you use :ultpit: instead of :ultdarkpit:
Do not be deceived by my frustrations. It's more of varied popularity that gets me jealous, and Pit/female really wasn't there much at the time (I was a bit blinded by too many ships at the time, but I've molded myself to something better), Well there was, but it never truly got that active. In the case of my ship choice, it's pretty obvious Samus shipped with generic "manly" characters instead or Pit, though I would imagine people were skeptical about Pit's "youthful" appearance. Of course now that isn't really much of an excuse anymore now that Uprising implies that Pit's at least 28... though that's not to say I haven't come across a few meanies who I had to explain that to. Well, at least I explained that part right.
I just hope some others will understand part of my frustration with the franchise now within reason. I do admit my jealous can be dumb sometimes, but there's obviously worse things to encounter.
With that in mind, my next mission is to think of something for Valentine's Day for my Flagship... though if things go well, I might spoil other so-so canon pairings or something... Snapshot wise that is for all of these. I just gotta figure out some rendering skills and such. Just less than a week, and I gotta bypass my laziness.
Just don’t do a Persona/Pit thing for Valentines (a cinnamon roll shouldn’t go through such pain)
Just Monika
Shaggy snapped 2/3 of the users on this site, out of existence, using 0.1% of his power
He used less than that...like...below the negatives man
They’ll be back once a direct happens

Bad news is all y’all are stuck with me!!!! :shiftysmile:
And since you’re a Snake main, you’re stuck with the legendary Low Tier God on your squad...so I say everything balances out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom