• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unfortunately, Dr. Mario is probably the worst character in the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaBlaster1234

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Srib64
Man, it's rare to see a Doc thread actually having life in it. It's good, we need to keep that up. It would be good to have original threads other than " Doc recovery sucks " or " Is Doc the worst character in the game ? ". We need better threads, that could help people discovering the potential of Doc. The more activity, the more we discover things about Doc and the better the character will be.
I completely agree. I think people are against playing Doc because of his obvious weaknesses instead of exploring his unique style of play.
I main MegaMan so a lot of fundamentals carry over to Doc, and I can vouch that Doc has what it takes to at least put up a decent fight against the current top tiers. It's an uphill battle, but not impossible.
One F-Smash is all it takes.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I think it makes sense since according to Sakurai, they only balanced Dr. Mario in relation to vMario and ignored pretty much everyone else.

Sakurai also said that he'll only balance glaring problems, so if Doc is really bad (just like how Diddy has a broken uair) he could get fixed.

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
I love how much this thread has livened up recently, and how the posts are all talking about how Doc is actually good despite the thread name.
Some of the Docs here discovering that he attacks as fast as Mario and has a DownB that has mad priority helps.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
I'm really glad they put Doc in the game, but I wouldn't say he's the worst out of the cast. I'm using him as a secondary at the moment (due to my loyalty to Melee) and while I'm sure he's low tier, he's still a force to be reckoned with. I do agree that his recovery is lackluster (right behind little mac), but DownB is ridiculously good. Mobility is an issue, but pills do an alright job with helping us approach/zone opponents. UpB OoS punishes are amazing and he still has combo potential with throws, tilts, aerials.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
If it's anything like Luigi's Cyclone, you can probably do some amazing stuff with it.

Has anyone tried to edgeguard with it?
I went ahead and edge guarded a recovering Rosalina with it with rage factor and medium percent, and it killed. Doc Tornado is pretty decent, from what I see. I only wish the end lag wasn't as much.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I went ahead and edge guarded a recovering Rosalina with it with rage factor and medium percent, and it killed. Doc Tornado is pretty decent, from what I see. I only wish the end lag wasn't as much.
For whatever reason, people don't seem to stay in his cyclone when he mashes up.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
For whatever reason, people don't seem to stay in his cyclone when he mashes up.
I think it's DI-able but also because the lift takes him too far up. If you mash just a bit, you can still get the strong hitbox

zmancb7

Smash Rookie
After many a for glory mode and playing against one of the better players I know, I think without a doubt our man Doc is NOT the worst.

Sure he has challenging match-ups, but as stated, better players will overcome them. I've learned to really abuse his hitboxes, especially dair and dash attack. Just being unpredictable helps as well. For my playstyle, his major weakness is that he needs to get up close and personal and this can be really hard against characters that are better at spacing. I've played many annoying Zeldas and Megamans online and I can't seem to win those. I like playing heavier characters so I can practice downthrow combos.

MightyJake

Smash Rookie
I personally think he's better than Mario, However now I realise why I never try to go off stage with Dr. Mario. His Recovery is quite poor.

Boigahs

Smash Rookie
Any discussion about best or worst character is fruitless. It always turns into "this character is worse than x y and z" and then " no x and z are really good" and no one has any evidence more valid than the other person's.
Doc, like the rest of the cast, will get you results if you are good at the game. I greatly enjoy playing him. He is likely not the best character in the game, but that doesn't mean you can't win as him. SJP, Docnade, and Sheets all have good applications, you just have to be smart about them and know your limits. His recovery isn't QUITE as bad as people make it out to be, too. Personally, I don't think I'll ever stop playing Dr. Mario unless some drastic patching occurs.

Marioexpertken

Smash Rookie
NNID
Marioexpertken
3DS FC
1203-9653-8429
Switch FC
SW 6432 1695 6800
It's just sad to see Doc get nerfed in Smash 4. I have to accept this fact, but I ain't gonna stop playing with him cause I see still take Dr. Mario over Mario due to the changes since I still prefer the pre Brawl movese

Spottel

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spottel123
3DS FC
0989-2633-1325
It upsets me that everyone says the doc is bad. It now goes so far and people say he's the worst character in the game.
Warning: Huge text
Jab = One of the best in the game ( frame 2 ) and kann be canceled to a UpB/ Grab as example
Bair = Autocancels, good range, good DMG, killmove, nice pressure tool
Nair = Autcancels, Frame 3 so its a very nice combobreaker
Fair = Insane killmove, DThrow Fair is on a lot of characters a true combo so its a killcombo on like 60-80 %
UpSmash = Invulnerable on the head, can kill early
FSmash = His strongest smash. Not the best range but its hard to punish.
DSmash = Good range, nice for roll reads because the back hit is very strong
Doc Tornado = Ridiculous priority, helps mobility and recovery a lot, really good edgeguarding tool and kills very early
Cape = Can reflect everything and is good for edgeguarding
UpB = Great OoS option ( Frame 3 ), killmove too
Zoning in general: Pills forces people to approach you, FTilt, BThrow and Bair are too really good tools to zone
Combos: DThrow is a great combostarter, UpAirs has a nice kb angel for more follow-ups, DTilt and UpTilt are important too
Recovery: Many people say that the recovery sucks because they can not deal with it. I have no problems with that because I use the tornado very well and it can mixup the recovery. You can say many things, but his recovery is not as bad as everyone says.
Speed: Thats imo his biggest problem. It makes punishes/ reads harder. But you can deal with it because zoning.

In summary: Good Frame data, good pressure tools, insane killgame ( many kilmoves, much killpower and DThrow to Fair ), constant combos, a real zoning game, can edgeguard really well

So I dont think that he's with all this good tools low tier, please. No one uses him in big tournaments what makes me sad because he is really good ( somewhere in mid-tier )

Last edited:

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Sorry to break the flow, but did we really have to revive this thread?

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Got it; the thread has been locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom