• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uniter Of The Worlds: Lloyd Irving for SSB4

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
While I'd rather have Lloyd instead of Pacman if we have to get a Namco rep, his chances are pretty unlikely.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I dunno, I think his chances are pretty good.

If Pac-Man were to be in this game I think they missed their chance revealing him alongside his show...who else from Namco stands a chance? I remember Sakurai or someone saying they didn't want to include any characters from fighting games, right? Who does that leave? I think we'll get a Tales character, and I think Lloyd is the obvious choice, thinking about popularity, and promotion, and he fits since we have alot of people who use swords already.

If Lloyd will be included it'll be around February when Tales of Symphonia Chronicles is release, that's what I think and what I'm hoping for

/ToS fanboy

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Lloyd may be a sword user but he's definitely not the same as every other. I may not see the same level of unique potential in him as in Cless or Chloe but I can still see him standing out from the crowd with his gimmicky, highly movement orientated attacks and the personality that comes across in his moveset.

We passed the ideal pacman announcement point? Sweet!
I guess it's Lloyd or Klonoa then.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Revive this thread. LLOYD WILL BE REVIVED, RECOGNIZED, AND FEARED BY ALL WHO OPPOSE HIJ.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I'd love it. But I was always the second player in Tales of Symphonia, so I'd be just as happy with Regal or Kratos.

….Or Zelos. Or Presea.

Or genis. or sheena

Or even Rayne. Or the blond girl with the circlet.

Damn that was a good game. I had this Zelos that hit a six hit combo I used, and that was fun.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I want Regal in so bad, but for some reason he's like...the least popular Symphonia character...he's my fave Tales character easily, and maybe my favorite video game character period. He's just so boss.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Honestly, if I can choose any Symphonia Character I'd want Presea or Kratos. If I can choose ANY Tales character it'd probably be Yuri Lowell.

However, Lloyd is Nintendo's Tales of face and he is still an awesome character so I'm more than fine with him. I just want more Tales fandom. It's so underrated here in the US.

HeroG

Smash Apprentice
Soo does a ps3 hd remake/bundle/chronicle increase or decrease his chances for ssb4?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Soo does a ps3 hd remake/bundle/chronicle increase or decrease his chances for ssb4?
No...

But Namco not getting special treatment and Sakurai saying third parties need to be legendary do...

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I'd probably choose Yuri. I like his combat style and his character.
Alternately... Regal. He was my favorite Tales of Symphonia character by a pretty wide margin, and his bladed capoiera style would be amazing to see in Smash Bros. His final smash would obviously be him resorting to using his hands and blowing up the arena.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Pascal is such an awesome character. I think one of the reasons I would replay ToGf is for her, lol. If she DID get it, she looks VERY easy to translate into Smash.

I actually am a fan of Regal myself :p He's is for some reason one of the least popular Tales of Character for some reason. Just like Pascal, he could be easily transferred into Smash.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
@ ImaClubYou ImaClubYou
Really? I had no idea that Regal was unpopular. I love his fighting style so much, and his backstory is a pretty nice departure from the usual anime cliches. I guess I'm not in love with his crop top straight jacket, but other than that I love the dude.

I never played Tales of Graces. I should get Tales of Graces/Tales of Xillia for my friend who has a PS3... I feel that I'd like Pascal too.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
ToG is very cliche that it is almost annoying to me.. But the characters are so lovable and the story is pretty fantastic. I would recommend it if you don't mind cheesy love interest stories, lol. The skits a hilariously good, too.

Tales of Xillia is pretty good, too. It's actually one of the shorter Tales games but again, for me Tales highlights are the characters and unique storiee. I'd recommend it as well.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
My issues with Tales of Graces were that:
1) It revolved around little kid logic. Sure, little kid Asbel thinking they can sneak through a window in plain sight while people are watching kind of makes sense. It actually working, however, does not. This sort of thing doesn't seem to improve when the characters age, either.
2) Much of the plot revolves around how Asbel appears to be SERIOUSLY into Richard. This is not helped by the sticky, white, tentacle cocoon final dungeon. I laughed when people told me it was "the gayest Tales game ever", assuming it'd just be flamboyant, colourful and highly focussed on the friendship theme. I was wrong. Like with Marta's constant clinging to Emil, the heavy handed nature of their relationship gets annoying fast.
3) The battle system was insanely restrictive and gave little reason to use both attack types. Many people liked it but I did not.

My final verdict would be similar to ICY's. It's cheesy as hell and pretty unbearable at times, with logic that doesn't hold up to inspection. If you want a serious JRPG you can really get into, this is not it. If, however, you're prepared to look at the game in a different light, it can be hilarious and it only gets better once Pascal joins, both out and inside of battle (she can actually free run). It's also quite pretty, btw, though not Xillia levels thereof.

Xillia is great. Full camera control lets you really explore every nook and cranny of its stunningly rendered environment and the Aifreid treasures hidden around entice you into using this feature to its fullest. Storywise, I'm not entirely sure how much difference the two character thing makes but the plot is good. Many of the early themes are taken straight from other games in the series, which seems a tad cheap, but they fit together well and, when the real twists come, they really do feel like revelations.
Combatwise, the AC system works beautifully, limiting combos and spamming but not preventing player freedom. Ontop of that, each player has a unique gameplay gimmick, with Jude able to teleport behind enemies on a successful dodge, Milla able to release spells early as physical attacks and Alvin able to charge up his weapon to gain altered artes.

They're two very different games, both good in their own way, but I'd think a bit before you decide which to get since they may well not both be your friend's cup of tea.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
So, I wanna think up some moves for Zelos. Not a full Move set but some moves that would/should be obvious.

Up B potential. Light Spear/Victory LightSpear/Hell Pyre

Light Spear would be the most basic form of recovery out of the 3. You simply twirl upwards into multiple hits and can be angled for recovery purposes.

Victory Light Spear can introduce the mechanic of pressing a button before the move ends to execute a finisher. Same principals of Light Spear, but a finishing move if B is executed at the right time, not spammed, and sends you at a downward pseudo spike angle, just like in the game or like Links sourspot Up B.

Hell Pyre would always send you in a diagonal angle, but can be adjusted slightly. Using the same method of Victory Light Spear, pressing B at the right time will send out a fire ball that will cause massive damage and Knockback. If the Fire ball hits the ground, it will cause a shock wave doing minimal damage and no knockback.

Down B Potential. Various magic moves besides healing.

Zelos, as a magic swordsman, could potentially use his spells in Smash. The attacks won't be random but will be set in order. Lightning first, Fireball, Stone Edge, and one wave of Judgement being the last and strongest. Shielding during a summon will skip the current spell and go to the next and dying resets back to lightning. You can tell what spell you are calling by the color of the spell wave(lightning purple, fireball red, stone edge brown, judgement white gold)

Lightning is a one strike move that will follow the opponent until it is time to land, Fireball is sent from Zelos and homes in on the opponent 3 at a time, Stone Edge surfaces from the ground into a multi hit move that also follows the opponent. Stone edge is useless off stage and on fall through platforms. Judgement is delayed for 10 seconds after casting to give you time distract your opponent. If it hits it will most likely KO but it is not considered a OHKO.

Forward Smash potential. Light Spear Cannon/Sonic Thrust/Hurricane Thrust/Fierce Demon Fang

Light Spear Cannon would be a 2 hit attack. The first hit is a spin that draws you in while the second becomes an explosion of multi-hits along with a powerful final hit.

Hurricane thrust is a variation of Sonic Thrust that summons wind for extra damage. Pressing B when Sonic Thrust is unleashed would cause Hurricane Thrust to activate instead. Sonic Thrust is a powerful Smash attack that has massive cooldown. Hurricane thrust would instead pop the opponent up and the cooldown would end quick enough to combo after a hit.

Fierce Demon fang would be a strong slam downwards that causes an orange shock wave to form in front of Zelos. Unlike in the game, this move would be a strong hit rather than a multihit. Pressing B again mid attack would cause Zelos to perform the multi hit instead.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I looked at your moves and, after some thought, came up with this:

Up B: Wind Blade. Has significant charge time on the ground, rewarded with an auto lock on. In the air, this move changes to Severing Wind, with slight left or right angling possible. Can be charged for greater distance.
Neutral B: Fireball. Has significant charge time on the ground, rewarded with a homing effect. In the air, the move changes to Hell Pyre. Hell Pyre has a tiny up/back movement for the player but is mostly for attack purposes.
Side B: Thunder Blade. Has significant charge time on the ground but also has a huge area of effect, hitting above and slightly behind Zelos before arcing down infront of him like in Eternia. Changes to Lightning Blade in the air. Lightning Blade nolonger has the bolt on hit but instead works like Lloyd's Lightning Thrust, carrying Zelos forward slightly and doing a lot of hitstun, with comparatively low damage.
Down B: Stalagmite. Has significant charge time on the ground, rewarded with an auto lock on. In the air, this move changes to Grave Blade, causing Zelos to slam down with force.

Up Smash: Light Spear (Canon). Zelos performs the twirly Light Spear move he gets in Dawn (same as Luke's), omitting the final thrust unless charged. If the move is charged, the thrust will hit straight upwards, with light surrounding it and boosting its power based on the charge strength. This in no way resembles Zelos' Light Spear/Victory Light Spear moves.
Forward Smash: Sonic/Hurricane Thrust. More powerful than Lightning Blade but with less hitstun, this move can multihit using the wind of Hurricane Thrust if charged.
Down Smash: Fierce Demon Fang/Grave Blade. A strong downward strike from overhead as Zelos drops into a crouch, causes shards of rock to spray upwards if charged.

Final Smash: Judgement.
Zelos' wings appear as he floats into the air and cruxis glyphs adorn the stage, approximately one Bowser in width and the same distance apart. Opposing players have but a moment to move off them before the beams rain down. This move will also hit off stage, with no glyphs to indicate position. Glyph positioning is dependant on where Zelos is standing when the move is activated btw.

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Ahh. Forgot about Wind Blade. Very good choices though I wouldn't want his entire B moveset to be limited to his specials.

Pascal may be a better candidate for that.

Presea:

Dash Attack potential. Punishment/Cresent Strike

Punishment is a spin attack that involves twirling the Axe. Pushing A During the right frames of the attack can prolong the attack up to 4 strikes. This move is quite slow and should be used as a finisher. If all 4 Strikes hit on shield it will break.

Cresent Strike is an attack that sends your Axe in an arc formation creating a cresent. Presea is has slow dash speed but this attack comes out blindingly quick. Used for combo's.

Forward Smash: Beast/Devestation

Blue energy is unleashed in a form of a male Lion or other beast. The longer it is charged, the bigger the hitbox becomes. The attack starts with a twirl that sucks you in and an ending blow that produces massive knockback.

Devestation is the act of slamming your axe into the ground and releasing rocks that fly into your opponents face. Pressing A during the time when the axe is slammed will cause Presea to jump and slam the ground again this time creating a shock wave of earth all around her. Pops opponents up if they are only in reach of the rocks and a cruel finisher if near the axe.

B potential. Gaia Cleave

Presea's strongest weapon. This weapon comes put and acts as a charging move. Once fully charged, Energy is unleashed in the form of a giant axe that produces massive damage. If used in the air or near an edge it will spike. Upon successful landing Presea's Insignia will sparkle on screen replacing the background around her.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Throw my support in for Lloyd even though going by popularity, Yuri's been at the top ever since and actually had to be banned from the votes after winning three years straight. Put that under your thinking cap.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Your naming scheme seems haphazard. You use the updated name of "Infliction" yet keep the old mistranslation of Presea's fusion arte, "Punishing Beast".
Ignoring that, Devastation strikes me as a down move while Punishment seems like it should allow a lot of movement. Having Punishment and Punishing Beast on the same direction with different inputs (either A and B or Smash and Tilt) would be ideal, IMO, showcasing their similarity while also making clear their different usefulnesses (Punishment would be comparatively quick and allow a lot of movement, while Punishing Beast would hit harder and have more range due to the projectile head).
I'm not too familiar with Presea's moveset though so I won't comment further.
As for your mention of Pascal, I see her as an ideal source of inspiration for how mages in general can work in Smash. She, like Meredy before her and Milla since, provides an excellent source of non-standard versions of traditional spells, focusing significantly more on player placement than most mages.

@ Aurora Jenny Aurora Jenny : Really? They never banned Leon from the polls and he won yearly.
The reason we're focussed on Lloyd isn't entirely character popularity though. Lloyd is the face of Tales on Nintendo, while Yuri and others aren't even remotely affiliated with the company that makes Smash. Realistically, only Cless could rival Lloyd for inclusion, though I still feel Mieu has a tiny chance.

Last edited:

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
@ ryuu seika ryuu seika : I see where you're going with that, yeah, Lloyd is the face of Tales pretty much, with Cless being the starting point for the series if I recall correctly. I'll just mark it down as not being fully knowledgeable. I've played just about all the games available though.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I don't quite remember Presea's skill names so sorry for the misunderstanding.

If I were to place validity of characters in Nintendo's history.

1. Lloyd Irving(GC/VERY recent HD remake)
2. Cless Albane(Super Famicom/Game Boy)
3. Luke Fon Fabre(3DS remake)
3a. Asbel Lhant(Wii Japan)
4. Yuri Lowell(Project X Zone)
5. Everyone in the same game.

I placed Luke and Asbel on the same level because I don't know how much more important they are than each other. Yuri is in there just because I want him in there, lol.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Long long while since been here. But it doesn't change the fact that I still am quite around with Tales Of-games today.

I'd move Lloyd, Cless, Luca/Ruca (Innocence) and Asbel to the Nintendo-based Tales Of-representation. Yuri Lowell, while quite popular, is bit of a mixed bag - I gotta still wonder if his inclusion in Project X Zone makes him viable all of a sudden, considering the fact that the game was a crossover.

Tales of the Abyss isn't too much, it got a port on 3DS, so pretty much reverse situation on Tales Of-games jumping to Sony-system, though with no new bells & whistles. He might be more better fit than Yuri in some cases.

I'd be spazzing around though if Lloyd got even littlest mention in SSB4 in some form. Perhaps best would be an Assist Trophy after Pac-Man's revealed as playable. It'd take everybody by complete surprise, but I'd be overjoyed if Sakurai and Namco-Bandai acknowledged Lloyd and ToS's history with Nintendo-consoles.

Well, I can always hope for Project Smash Zone. (Nintendo joining Sega, Capcom and Namco for the new installment in that game series)

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
If they reveal Pacman then I'm out. That guy just will not work in Smash.
Well, you better prepare yourself then. It's quite likely to see Pac-Man as a last potential 3rd Party in SSB4 (and the series for good), considering the 3rd Party's high demand and value (they need to be "legendary".)
Unless Namdai's not allowed to put any of their characters in this game because they're developing it, there's no way we can't see Pac-Man in the game.

Also I'm gonna see how Pac-Man's would work in Smash 4 incase he's added: to me he seems quite basicish and nothing outstanding, but Smash has turned those kind of fighters to great ones before too.

In anycase, I think we'd better wait for Sony AllStars Battle Royale 2 more than any Smash-game for a Tales Of-rep to be featured in a crossover fighter (even if Lloyd did the reverse in Wii ala Soul Calibur Legends).
Kinda makes me wonder if Symphonia was just meant to be favoured more as the PS2/Sony-title because that version is clearly superior to GCN-version and is also the go-to with the currently released HD remake. But again, even if it was so, that would have made Symphonia just a 3D-turnpoint in the series only, like the directors see it. The fact that it's remembered as the GCN-cult classic is what seems to have brought us all here at the first place, for most part.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I know, I know, he's quite likely indeed. I'm just seriously hoping that Nintendo see him the way I do.

Pacman, in his iconic in game form, is not a character who even comes close to having full moveset potential. It would be almost impossible to do anything with him.
Pacman, in his modern and box art form, however, is highly usable. Also a hideous abomination that goes against everything Pacman ever was. It is not the Pacman I know and nor is it the Pacman the majority of players know. If Pacman gets included, it will be this version and it will be wrong through and through.

Sorry to drag things off topic, I just really hate the limbed Pacman and, while I would love to see Lloyd in, no Namco character would therefore also be a pleasing outcome for me.

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Good point. Iconic Pac Man has zero potential. Modern appendage Pac Man is highly usable. But at the same time, what we want is iconic. With that mindset seeing Old Mega Man next to New Pac Man is kind of weird.

I've always supported that but never actually saw it that way with "iconic" and "modern" being the focus point.

On the other hand, other than being a game on the GC, Symphonia was actually payed for by Nintendo to be ported to the GC in English, with VA. Symphonia is more than just A game in Nintendo's history.

Who would choose yellow rabbit pellet eater over red suited big haired dual swordsman?

A lot of people, sadly.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
On the other hand, other than being a game on the GC, Symphonia was actually payed for by Nintendo to be ported to the GC in English, with VA. Symphonia is more than just A game in Nintendo's history.
I've seen a lot of this kind of rumors and I have to clarify that they are not true: Namco Telecom was behind the localization, from what I could best find. (Emphasis on find)
In short, Namco pushed for the english translation on it's own. Some also say that Nintendo provided the other European languages a translation but that has to yet be proven true.

On the other hand, Tales of Phantasia's GBA port got an outerstate trasfrom Nintendo, but I dunno if we need to mention it's somewhat below average translation, which was also done to one of the least gracious ports of the game.

EDIT: Went to dig deeper, and apparently I find this from this interview from IGN (Pre-E3 2004)

IGN: Why are you bringing Tales of Symphonia to GameCube? Especially when GameCube isn't really home to RPGs and the PlayStation 2 is home to the prior Tales games and has such a large RPG fan base?

Nao Higo: I think that's precisely why we want to bring it out on the GameCube. We wanted to give GameCube owners a chance to experience a really solid RPG, which they haven't been able to up until now.

I dunno what to think of this, considering how the times have turned up like now. We can at least confirm that Symphonia was a Tales Of-game specifically tailored for the Nintendo-audience in mind: they decided to appeal to an audience not getting these games usually. And boy, didn't it succeed in that

Which is why it saddens me more to see this statement, considering how Tales Of-Studio hadn't bothered to give this HD Re-release to the Wii U (In fact, contrary with ToS2) due still staying in their preferred consoles (Sony)

Seeing also from upcoming Zestiria for PS3 also, it's highly likely that we might never see another original Tales Of for Nintendo-systems again.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Ok, clarification time.

No, Nintendo didn't fund or do any work on the localisation of ToS. Nintendo did all of its publicity. You know, that thing Tales games are only just starting to get over here. Even if there wasn't an explicit deal (which there must have been or we'd've seen the port), without Nintendo's direct help, the game would not have had the success or attention that it did.

Fans blow that way out of proportion though, as you can see.

Oddly, they say nothing about the sequel. Before the game was even released in japan, Namco representatives came out and stated in an interview that Nintendo had explicitly commissioned an RPG from them and that it was slated for translation. They then used this to justify its more light hearted nature and monster collection gimmick, what with them being classic examples of popular Nintendo themes. They even admitted, albeit not so blatantly worded as I'm about to put it, that the latter was a direct pokemon ripoff.

As for how the translation went, there were a few problems with that in my region.
Originally, the PAL release was to be handled by Ubisoft. Three days before the actual date, however, Namco switched their entire european localisation team to Atari, only to find out that Ubisoft hadn't even started work on the game. Atari missed the release and, three months later, announced that they'd never actually planned to release it at all. Well, one thing lead to another, Atari of Europe collapsed and Namco bought them up. It took over a year from the original date but eventually the game got its translation into french, german, italian, spanish, etc. What's more, it got it with bonus hats as an apology (now in Chronicles btw).
And the statement Namco gave? The company managed it themselves due to "unexpectedly high demand from fans".

So no, Symphonia itself had no input from Nintendo. Its sequel, however, would not exist without them.
Say what you will about Dawn but, regardless of the gameplay, it clearly shows how much Nintendo thought of Symphonia, even after the PS2 release.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Playing Tales of Symphonia chronicles really just reignited my Lloyd want, it sucks that Pacman is in his way if Namco does get a rep.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Now for something completely different.

Namco-items.

This basically confirms Pac-Man, but can we see Namco-assists too?

Lloyd could be a great choice for this one. Klonoa would be lovely icing on the cake.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Press leaks also show the S-Flag, an item referenced more in the Tales series than anywhere else. I don't think we should be guessing of items alone.
Well yeah. I'd be though flabbergasted if Pac's not in based on these. He's arguably the most likeliest Namco-rep, for a good reason.

Top Bottom