• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

University of Texas - Austin

What events do you want to see at our meetings?

• Brawl Singles/Doubles

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Melee Low Tiers

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Brawl+ Singles/Doubles

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Smash 64 Singles/Doubles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brawl Minus Singles

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Random Character/Random Stage tourney (any game)

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
come on rohan, those kind of comments are exactly what kal was mentioning, downplaying the legitimacy of the brawl players in our club. I mean, not to say I don't like free for alls, theyre ****ing amazing.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
no dude, you're taking it the wrong way.
The only serious Brawl players that ever showed up to our meetings were Hylian and Bored, maybe Clay's brother.
Otherwise it was mostly guys that preferred to do FFAs. I hung around the Brawl players a lot, there wasn't very much 1v1, or even teams going on.

It's not downplaying anything, its speaking the truth. Why else did so many of our attempted Brawl tournaments fail?

MT_

Smash Ace
I'm so sorry Darth Khalid. I won't speak out of line ever again.

On another note, we should come up with a new poll question. The one we have up now is super old.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
is matt a homo?
let US decide!

and by the way, I'm assuming our tournaments failed because we never really took the game seriously at our meetings. we mostly played melee. and when the tournaments were advertised properly, they routinely did better than our melee tournaments.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
k, I agree that when advertised properly, the turn out was decent.
But having an off-hand Brawl tournament never seemed to work.

There was a large difference in skill level between a bunch of Melee players in the club, but even the lesser skilled Melee players jumped at the prospect of a tournament. Not the case for the Brawl players.

Kal

Smash Champion
Our Brawl tournaments didn't work out due to lack of advertising. The Brawl players who consistently showed up to meetings just weren't interested in tournaments. You yourself pointed out that our Brawl tournaments were successful whenever we advertised, Jose, so it seems silly to blame their usual lack of success on how "seriously" we took the game.

I don't think Rohan meant anything negative by his post. He really just meant "leave a Brawl setup or two for the Brawl players." He said "for FFAs" because the players who routinely show up to meetings play mostly free for all.

Now, speaking of advertising, I think we should have a person responsible for placing flyers. Who's down?

MT_

Smash Ace
It would make more sense to me if all of us (officers at the least) were responsible for a number of flyers. We're all different majors and have different schedules for the most part and thus will be in different buildings for class around campus. If we are each responsible for a smaller number of flyers (than one person responsible for all of them), then we'd be able to conveniently reach a larger area of campus to advertise the club.

And you guys should seriously consider coming to Insane Triumph in Houston on July 10. It might be the only Texas tournament this summer...haha.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=275796

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
I know my sentences were on the same paragraph and all, but by not taking the game seriously I meant to say that we constantly bashed the game during the meetings. I don't object to the fact that the brawl guys like to play free-for-alls, but I don't know if that faction of our club likes to be generalized in that manner. I'm not one to speak though, the guys could stand up for themselves if they ever wanted something more than what the club has been offering them. I just think that they've been feeling abashed by the melee majority to the point where asking for **** (like more tourneys or being recorded or finishing the tourneys when we do hold them) seems moot; though, i have to admit, the melee players, like rohan mentioned, did jump more readily to the ideas that the club had regarding melee.

also, I'm kind of wondering if the brawl people even bothered with rankings. if not, then you guys can just forget about what I said.

matt, I like your idea. I'm always generally around the engineering block and that could be my side.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Definitely hit the kiosks around campus, and I'd also recommend Welch and the UTC, assuming they don't take the flyers down.
Clay also seemed to have a lot of success in Jester.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
That's definitely the most efficient way to distribute flyers, Matt. However, there should be one person in charge of making the flyer for each meeting in Photoshop (you can find a template in an email I sent to the club gmail account), and emailing it out to other officers so everybody can print and post.

Some tips for posting:
-it's better to print on colored paper, which I always got from Speedway Copy in Dobie Mall
-kiosks are good since they are spread throughout campus and require no permission but I think flyers in buildings tend to be seen more
-to post in some buildings, you may have to get an authorization stamp from the front desk if you don't want them to get taken down, e.g. for Jester you need to go to Jester East desk, for TX Union you need to get a stamp from the UNB 4.300 desk
-I know these buildings do not require permission: Welch, RLM, Burdine, Dobie Mall, and UTC

That officer could also advertise in the student events calendar: <https://www.utexas.edu/know/events/submit/>. You can find an example of a meeting posted on this calendar here: <http://www.utexas.edu/know/events/20100508/e10943>. You know those "Informational: Know Events: Current Students" emails all UT students receive every few days? Events posted on this calendar are listed in those emails! So, I think this is a worthwhile way to advertise (there were a few Brawl players that came for the 5th meeting brawl tourney because it was listed in this calendar).

Other ways to advertise include emailing all the members through the club gmail account and google calendar (which you log into with the club email and password). Justin, if you could embed the club's google calendar into the OP and somebody kept it updated, that could make it quicker and easier for anybody looking on our thread to find out the when/what/where about upcoming meetings.

I hope this helps.

Kal

Smash Champion
**** my life, I'm 23 minutes off of my total target speed run time on Perfect Dark on PA difficulty. It shouldn't be this hard to shorten my time by that much, since I'm at least 10 minutes off of the world record on two levels, but I can't do ****. I blame Jamal.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I've decided I hate the Falcon/Marth match-up.
I like to try and outspace my opponents since I don't have the sufficient tech skill to do otherwise, and Falcon just constantly gets in your face, and has some easy combos on Marth.
He's also annoyingly heavy, making proper edgeguarding even more critical.

Kal

Smash Champion
I wouldn't call Falcon's combos on Marth easy, but I agree that it is a challenging matchup for Marth. The best advice I can give you is to continue trying to space and to try really hard to bait Falcon. There isn't much tech skill involved (it is Marth afterall), so I'm not sure what you mean about the insufficient tech skill.

Once you learn a lot of the ins and outs of the matchup, you'll find yourself doing really mean things to Falcon. For example, if you see him side -b in an attempt to hit you out of your jump, you can (depending on your position) just waveland straight down into shield, then grab. If his damage is really high, you could up-b out of shield and edge guard.

Falcon is really easy to edgeguard. There are three things to consider:

1) It's usually best to run off the stage and fair (don't sweet-spot it, though, since the trajectory for that is almost vertical). If you're feeling really special, you can Ken combo a recovering Falcon, but that is definitely overkill.

2) Stay on the edge, and drop off to hit him. This frequently works as well. It's a little trickier, but you'll get the hang of it with practice.

3) Falcon will frequently try to hit you. Be careful, and if you notice a pattern in this, you can punish for it. The best solution to this is to grab the edge for the invincibility frames.

You can edgeguard from the stage if the situation is right, of course. If Falcon is recovering low and appears to be too far to ledgetech, you can dtilt him and just edgehog. Or if Falcon is recovering really high you can follow and fsmash.

MT_

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/user/Noc0002

A few matches of me vs Clay Marth/Falcon.

Michel taught me this gimp where you d-throw Falcon off the stage, then wavedash off fair (they run into it a lot if they try to doublejump autoregrab the edge or recover low) to up-b. The fair kills their doublejump and then they have to up-b, where your own up-b will stage spike them or just ledgeguard them since it's faster and it hits. If he starts jumping back onto the stage in response, then just f-smash him and he's pretty much dead.

Also, Austin told me to never fsmash a Falcon unless you're 100% sure it'll hit since it lags enough that any decent Falcon WILL punish it if it isn't spaced perfectly.

It's a lot of baiting game with Falcon. Don't let him bait out your laggy moves and know when he's going to approach. With proper spacing/reading you should beat him out on all confrontations. Don't get scared of his dash-dance!

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I wouldn't call Falcon's combos on Marth easy, but I agree that it is a challenging matchup for Marth. The best advice I can give you is to continue trying to space and to try really hard to bait Falcon. There isn't much tech skill involved (it is Marth afterall), so I'm not sure what you mean about the insufficient tech skill.
It's more a combination of tech skill and timing. fair combos work really well on Falcon, but they have to be executed properly or a good falcon will just escape.
Edgeguarding never really seems to be a problem, unless I **** it up. Like, I typically know what to do in situations, its just a matter of doing it.
Like yesterday, something was going on psychologically that was making me **** up a lot of edgeguards, but the time before, I was nailing most of them. But that seems to happen in every smash game for me, I'm not just gonna accuse Melee.
I'd like to just be able to beat Clay's Falcon a little more often than I currently am, cuz I seem to be able to handle his secondaries with Marth. The nicest thing though would be to have the variety of opponents I had in Austin. Getting ***** by Michel wasn't frustrating the way losing close matches to Clay over and over again is.

It's a lot of baiting game with Falcon. Don't let him bait out your laggy moves and know when he's going to approach. With proper spacing/reading you should beat him out on all confrontations. Don't get scared of his dash-dance!
the dash-dance may just be his most annoying attribute, it mind****s me into screwing up my spacing. Early on it doesn't seem to matter as much, but I typically lose patience after a long while.

Kal

Smash Champion
Yeah Rohan, I understand how frustrating it is to lose close matches. Happened to me a lot when I first started playing, and it happened a lot with me vs. Mitch when he was here.

Are you dash dancing at all? The way you give Falcon's dash dance so much credit makes it seem like you need to dash dance more. Trust me, Falcon has as much trouble dealing with a Marth that dash dances well as Marth does dealing with a Falcon who dash dances well. Awkward sentence, I guess, but ask anyone who plays Falcon how annoying as **** Marth is. Or anyone who mains a character that isn't Marth.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I prolly should be dash dancing more, for some reason its not instinctive.

If I had to give a reason, I'd say its because Link was my first main, and his dash dance sucks, but idk if I can just blame it on that. Wavedashing actually seems to come to me more naturally in situations where I want to mindgame my opponent.

Often times when I feel like I should be doing better, the Jamal-syndrome will take over and I'll just keep getting angrier, thus making me lose focus and patience.
You definitely need a clear head to properly mindgame.

Kal

Smash Champion
Right, so Link needs to dash dance as well, so it's not much of an explanation. As far as excuses go, going from one main to another will always require you change your playstyle. Don't worry about justifying your lack of dashdancing. No one is judging you (other than Edgar, who is a little *****). Just start incorporating it into your play.

And what I found helps is to simply take an occasional break. And breath a lot. Also, let the anger out early in a constructive way by pointing out what's bothering you. Jamal snaps all the time because he lets the anger build up rather than just letting it out early. I often get as frustrated and angry with the game as Jamal does, but you don't see me snapping as often because I try to keep my atmosphere enjoyable. If I screw up in a way that frustrates me I try to make a joke about it or just point out what I did wrong, rather than keep it in the back of my head and continue to get more frustrated.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Taking an occasional break definitely always helps.
Clay even suggested that he could just fight against a CPU if I want a break, which I suppose could work, since I preferred it when it wasn't just myself and another person playing friendlies.

But thats really only to avoid getting frustrated, if things are turning south. Like, Dean and I are fairly equal in skill, and I had no issues fighting against him for 2 hours straight w/o a break. If I'm doing well, obviously there's no reason to get angry and lose concentration. To put it from a different perspective, if I'm playing someone worse than me, like a friend of mine from Kingwood, they'll be the one demanding breaks, while I'll be saying bring on the next match.
I seem to notice though, Clay has a way of making me feel awkward if I try to express any anger, so I end up keeping it bottled inside, which isn't good. In the past its even gotten to the point where I've wanted to chuck my controller Jamal-style.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
haha, I would hate to win most of the matches, 'cause then I feel like a crappy person. I like playing people who beat me, it's kind of like climbing a mountain I suppose.

those videos of matt and clay make me want to play you guys so bad, but the scene is so gay here in san antonio. when I come back I'm gonna have brawl johns.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
It does get boring beating a crappy person over and over again, but on the other hand, losing a lot can be frustrating as hell, unless you know your opponent is a lot better than you, and that it would be stupid to expect otherwise. Then you just take it as a learning experience.
Losing to someone you know you're capable of beating is no fun.

blackfox51

Smash Cadet
Sorry guys for not updating the OP
I've been in the hyperbolic time chamber, training against peach and yoshi. Apparently those two are the characters that my friend will play.
Who is going to Insane Triumph!?

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
aww, my name's gone from the front page.
hey justin, maybe you could list the ex-officers as well, haha.

anyways, I wish the Meleepire good luck, assuming I'm not there next semester.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
hey biache, that still counts, pah ha
I did attend every meeting and contributed my share of help.

Anyways, Rohan Ravishankar - ex club aide Brawl plus (TL, Kirby, Marth), Andrew Harris- ex wat was ur position again? secretary? Brawl (Sheik, Zelda), Juan Antonio Maldonado - ex treasurer Brawl (TL, Peach, Lucas), Clay Kibler - ex prez Melee (Falcon, Falco, DK)

Top Bottom