• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

University of Texas - Austin

What events do you want to see at our meetings?

• Brawl Singles/Doubles

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Melee Low Tiers

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Brawl+ Singles/Doubles

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Smash 64 Singles/Doubles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brawl Minus Singles

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Random Character/Random Stage tourney (any game)

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
Haha, we do a Melee singles tournament practically every meeting anyways.

Also, how ironic that the first tournament besides the low tier tourney that I got to grand finals was a Brawl tourney.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
lol well we've never really had a melee singles tourney as the main event. I should be able to get more flyers out earlier this time, and with the prizes I hope we will get our best turnout yet! (We kinda need to do a tourney w/ entry fees anyways to make a little profit since our funds are gettin a bit low.)

blackfox51

Smash Cadet
Haha, we do a Melee singles tournament practically every meeting anyways.

Also, how ironic that the first tournament besides the low tier tourney that I got to grand finals was a Brawl tourney.
Oh the irony is hilarious

Melee doubles... now

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I'd be up for Melee doubles, though I'd still like Brawl + crew battle, Clay already said he's up for it.
Though we could possibly be one Brawl + set-up shorter.
I wanted to play Metroid Prime Trilogy on Clay's Wii, but to do so I had to update his Wii, and there were warnings that Homebrew Channel would be deactivated if the Wii was updated to 4.2.
So we tried a different alternative from Smash Workshop for updating the Wii. The installation claimed it was successful, but when I went back to the Wii Menu, homebrew had phucking disappeared!!
AND, it still forced me to do the Nintendo update to play the game.
Nintendo clearly hates hardcore gamers now.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Clay: Seriously, you can have a preference for one game over the other but that doesn't mean you have to never play the other game, think it is no fun at all, or look down on those that play it.

HA, Edgar

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
Ha? I didn't tell him to do any of those things. I just told him to do the right thing and pick Melee, haha.

Kal

Smash Champion
Rohan deserves some sort of "can't take a joke" award. >_>

Noc

Smash Journeyman
Melee doubles... now
I was thinking our first major event w/ entry fees should be a singles tourney. Maybe more people would come cuz they wouldn't have to worry about finding a partner. But if I'm wrong and turnout for a Melee doubles tourney would be good, I would totally be up for it since Melee doubles is too fun! We should at least have it as a minor event next meeting.

...I'd still like Brawl + crew battle...
I doubt we'll ever have Brawl+ as a main event since just not enough people play it. If we want a good turnout for a tourney, it has to be for a widely-known game. There is a slight chance we could do a brawl+ event in the future if we gradually convert many brawl players to brawl+, but don't count on this. We can always have it as a fun little side event.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
In his defense, detecting tone of voice over the internet sucks.
This, but I knew Edgar was joking.
And as a Linguist, I know that tone of voice tells a lot about what a person says.

I doubt we'll ever have Brawl+ as a main event since just not enough people play it. If we want a good turnout for a tourney, it has to be for a widely-known game. There is a slight chance we could do a brawl+ event in the future if we gradually convert many brawl players to brawl+, but don't count on this. We can always have it as a fun little side event.
I meant just as a side event. Obviously it wouldn't be any fun just beating up a bunch of noobs.

Kal

Smash Champion
And as a Mathematician, I know that tone of voice tells a lot about what a person says.

chaoscontrolASH

Smash Rookie
well ya know you can always go retro and do like an event revolving around Smash 64. hadnt really used it and could be interesting to battle old school style

Kal

Smash Champion
Eh, no one really enjoys a smash 64 tourney. Whenever they were held last year, we had maybe 5 entrants, and people usually withdrew after they got bored.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
I'd be up for Melee doubles, though I'd still like Brawl + crew battle, Clay already said he's up for it.
Though we could possibly be one Brawl + set-up shorter.
I wanted to play Metroid Prime Trilogy on Clay's Wii, but to do so I had to update his Wii, and there were warnings that Homebrew Channel would be deactivated if the Wii was updated to 4.2.
So we tried a different alternative from Smash Workshop for updating the Wii. The installation claimed it was successful, but when I went back to the Wii Menu, homebrew had phucking disappeared!!
AND, it still forced me to do the Nintendo update to play the game.
Nintendo clearly hates hardcore gamers now.
Nintendo's been cracking down on homebrew users now u know...(ban ppl from hacking online w/ like MKWii)
and i heard the new Wii menu was bad.

Also hope to get my own wii soon mwaha

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Nintendo's been cracking down on homebrew users now u know...(ban ppl from hacking online w/ like MKWii)
and i heard the new Wii menu was bad.

Also hope to get my own wii soon mwaha
Actually, I'm not even sure if it updated it to 4.2.
In any case, we'll try to get Homebrew back. I guess just run the Twilight Hack again and see what happens.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
well ya know you can always go retro and do like an event revolving around Smash 64. hadnt really used it and could be interesting to battle old school style
I would be up for an SSB64 event! Maybe only as a side event though. You might be surprised how many people would come for it. I was surprised to get a roommate last year that played it a lot and was good.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Twilight hack doesn't work on 4.2, bro.
Well, we'll try it first to see if it really is 4.2, and if it is, there exists alternatives, so we'll just have to try some crap out.
In fact, my Wii wasn't 4.2 I don't think and the Twilight Hack still didn't work, but we eventually got something to work.
Well, you wouldn't by chance already know what does work on 4.2?

chaoscontrolASH

Smash Rookie
I would be up for an SSB64 event! Maybe only as a side event though. You might be surprised how many people would come for it. I was surprised to get a roommate last year that played it a lot and was good.
oh yea maybe not no major event but a side event we can try during a club meeting.

HMV

Smash Rookie
How bout a low tier brawl tourney or a manly tourney where only the top 10 chars in the man tier can be used or something hilarious like that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-F3DrzrZWo

Also, u can run Trilogy in any wii through Gecko OS without updating. For 4.2, u can install the HBC through banner bomb v2, or stack smash and the hackmii installer.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
It wasn't unfair for Edgar to use MK; he basically never plays brawl and maybe needed a little handicap. I gotta say he is quite good at brawl for not playing it though, it is MUCH easier for a melee player to do well in brawl than vice versa.

We are not banning MK--you'll just have to learn how to counter him.
Then why is everyone else allowed to ban MK?
This isn't out of hatred for the character, if it was I would ask to ban Diddy, its cuz he really is broken.

Kal

Smash Champion
Rohan, we're not banning MK. He's banned in Houston, but the consensus amongst the Barlw community is that, while he is a lot better than the rest of the cast, it's not enough to warrant a ban. This is evidenced by a lot of tournaments which don't feature MK dominating the top placings.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Also, he was unbanned last hobo, and unbanned for the hobo coming up.

Kal

Smash Champion
Do you just keyword search "ban + MK," Jordan?

Also, you should come to the next meeting. People sometimes ask me Barlw questions and my advice is always "camp harder." I think you could probably elaborate on that some.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
Kal, we should play some time soon. I want as much practice as I can get for Oklahoma. And you always do well against me, so I figure I could learn some things from playing you.

Kal

Smash Champion
Tomorrow isn't very good for me. Got assignments to do, then a raid at night.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Hylian!!
You should totally come to our next Brawl tourney, Bored's been complaining about having no competition.

Kal

Smash Champion
Also, how rude of Jesus Freak to refuse to play Edgar on the premise that he does not "need Falco practice!"

Top Bottom