• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[UPDATE!!] Redoing the Brawl+ website.

Forum Software?

• phpBB

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • MyBB

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
That works perfectly fine with me.

Also, anyone have any idea what CMS would work well with vB?

inb4strongbadanddrooooooooooooooopal

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
The only one would you would have is Wordpress. There aren't any other ones from what I can find.

edit: Unless you wanted to do vBadvanced CMPS or something

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Question. Would we honestly need a forum for this website? I was thinking of having just a portal system showcasing media, info, updates, and patches on various mods and linking discussion back to either here or AiB.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Speaking for Project M, here it has one (public) topic. It has nothing on AiB. We need a place to collaborate our ideas in a way that is not available to anyone but the developers that is more persistent than a chat (ie, a forum). So, in a word, yes, for Project M.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Speaking for Project M, here it has one (public) topic. It has nothing on AiB. We need a place to collaborate our ideas in a way that is not available to anyone but the developers that is more persistent than a chat (ie, a forum). So, in a word, yes, for Project M.
Then... wouldn't it make more sense to have a P:M subforum here in the Workshop BRoom? I know we couldn't move all of the posts to Smashboards, so that would be the only downside...

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

DRUPAL
DRUPAL
DRUPAL
CAPITAlS
ps I like drupal and have used it since 2008

NNID
Budget_Player
We have our own thing going and are going to have a pretty passable Bbrawl website already (obviously the current one is a massive WIP) so I'm not really that inclined to do any work on other sites. However, I'm not totally opposed to involvement and wouldn't mind porting over a bit of content for the sake of completeness. Just be aware that I am probably not going to be available to do a very substantial amount of work on a site like this.
You wouldn't have to do much work; the idea would be to basically merge the sites into each other.

vBAdvanced works nicely. Also, 4.x have a built-in CMS with pretty much everything.

i've got a 3.8.1 license lol. the tournament plugins are pretty good for vB imo. i really like it.
vBulletin > EVERYTHING ELSE. Arguably 4.x is not quite as good, but it's still an absolutely incredible platform.
Now the problem here is that we have to work with a CMS. I have a 4.x Content Management Suite license. The problem: it's currently in use here. Notice: the forum is not 4.x. It's 3.8.x. If we could somehow, at least for this purpose, swap licenses, then we could use a 4.x CMPS for the site. Or we could just pay up and invest in an upgrade for your license. Dunno.

Question. Would we honestly need a forum for this website? I was thinking of having just a portal system showcasing media, info, updates, and patches on various mods and linking discussion back to either here or AiB.
Well, the purpose of the site is to merge the 4 projects' sites together, right? Each of us has, more or less a forum... B- would not work without a forum, lol. Unless you want to make the site and keep all the old sites? Seems a little counterproductive.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
my license is already in use and I'm not gonna be giving up.

also, you'll be spending $200 for the license either way. it'll need to be 3.85 because 4.x sucks. i don't remember if I paid for Drupal or not, but vDrupal + Drupal = awesome.

NNID
Budget_Player
Hmm... so in that case, that becomes something of an issue again. If we have an on-site forum, it's definitely gonna be either MyBB or vB, that's for sure... What's vDrupal, a vB integration with Drupal? I know nothing about Drupal, but if it's good...

Anyways, I'd be willing to drop like 50-100 bucks on a vB license for this. Seeing how big the WBR is, we could almost certainly pull together for the license. We would need $195 (forum-only license)... Is anyone here good with graphic design?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
apparently my forum has vBAdvanced and vDrupal.
and yes, vDrupal is a vBulletin integration with Drupal. so you could have forum blocks on a non-forum page with like latest posts, latest news, etc. pulled directly from the forum. but that's pretty easy to do regardless of CMS lol.

NNID
Budget_Player
So it seems we're all in agreement that this should happen.

Now, we need to get **** done (the hard part :V).

So the following needs to be done:
-Find out who here does web/graphic design
-Find out which system we're using (it seems like vB has a lot of support, but I'm not pulling the whole tab for a license; someone (preferably a little from a lot of people) would have to jump in and help. vB+vBA or vBDrupal. If not vB, then probably MyBB, although the integration mods for MyBB aren't as strong)
-Actually set stuff up
-Get domain

Am I more or less right both in the order and in the list? What am I missing?

NNID
Budget_Player
We've gotta settle on the software first. The thing is about vB is just how costly it is. :/
There's what, 20+ people in the WBR? That's like 10 bucks a person. I'm already offering $100, so it's more like $5 a person. If anyone is willing to contribute, that's cool...

The idea that free software can do it too is more or less true, but vB does it better and more effectively. Plus, in general, the feel of the software is just a thousand times better IMO.

Obviously, I'm open to good alternatives... Dant keeps saying "use something free"; what free solution can deal with everything we need? What DO we need?

Also, maybe I should split this off into a new thread, lol.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
:D It's a WIP. The logo is coming along. I think we should call the site "Smash Mods" as it's quick and to the point. People will know exactly what to expect going there. Which-- is a good thing. I do think we should have a front page... but hey, that's just me.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
just get vB + Drupal.
I can put $5-10 towards it whenever my AdSense check comes or something.
i can help with some web/graphic design but i am a bit busy w/ my own site heh

phpBB sucks btw.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
My contribution... :)

Please read the following:

Okay guys... I've worked for over a day on the website. No lies. So many hours have been put into this.

Let's talk about layout, and my design choices:
Goals:

•Neat and concise website that is easy to navigate.

•Good quality logos, as that lends to the "professionalism" of the site.

•High contrast.

•Simplicity is important. We must have a site that both looks nice and performs nice. It's taken me a while to get to the point I'm at, and hopefully I've fulfilled my goals of a simplistic, yet great site.

•As for navigation of the site, I've gone with a tab system. Once you select a tab, said tab is highlighted in some other color so that you know conclusively which page you're on. In addition, the respective mod logo will appear at the top of the screen, and the site will display that mod's colors. For example, when selecting P:M, the P:M logo is centered at the top of the banner, and the colors change to purple (Melee colors). This is great in that it helps distinguish the mods, while at the same time making them VERY presentable to the public.

•A sexy banner. It's taken a while, but I think I'm finally happy with the banner. It went from a rather simple (and drab) gradient, to a far more interesting look. The idea employed here was to make something interesting, however not so powerful that it detracts from the website. It's designed to be stylish, yet not too busy.

The "Custom Content" tab could be renamed to "Other" as, I think that if we had a "Custom Content" tab we'd also need a "Utilities" tab. I'd rather not clutter the top with tabs. Other would encapsulate both "custom content" and "utilities."

I was thinking that the "Other" tab could contain everything from custom songs, to hacked stages, to community made utilities such as BBox, PSA, etc.

On each Mod's page I plan to have a sleek layout of options in the box on the left (which at this point is only an outline). This box would have buttons, or links, that would include, but not be limited to; Videos, Change List, Chat (maybe each mod could have a separate mibbit chat?.. or just a combined chat with a link on each mod page), forums (which would link the user to that mod's respective area of the forums), and news.

I've made a sleek site logo "SMASH MODS" which will serve as the "home" link. Simple, and makes sense. In addition, on the home screen, it'd make sense to have installation instructions. Not even to soft-mod a wii, just a guide on setting up an SD card with the mod and smash stack.

SMASH MODS: Home Screen
Now after Project Melee's tab has been selected

Here's my custom Smash Mods logo

I spent a good deal of time making sure the above logo looked "legit" as in, it looked like it could be mistaken for an official smash logo of sorts.

Anyway, the main screens of the mod tabs could contain caption boxes for various things such as "News," "latest vids," "new update," etc.

What do you guys think??? I really hope all of my hard work doesn't go unnoticed. Because I've seriously spent... hours upon hours on this stuff, refining each iteration with various people.

Thanks for your time.
Orca

P.s. if for whatever reason the links die I'll re-up them tomorrow.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
I'm liking the color concept.

You can scratch out that search box though. :V

Fill in some more and ill give more critique.
are we not going to have a search box? Or.. should I move it?.. It's usually the top left of most websites.

Also.. no critiquing until I do.. MORE work? I've spent like... 12+ hours working on what you see above. Every little thing. The logo was a SIDE PROJECT in and of itself. I'd appreciate more feedback than that. Plus... use your imagination, I've outlined in detail what I'd put in the content pages... I'm sure you can visualize.

thanks! ;)

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I've already critiqued the logo and I feel its fine. I'm not exactly sure what to say about the P:M logo.

Not much else I can say unless you WANT me to nick pick in that case...

The buttons are bland and the background for the header looks like you stuck in some colors on your canvas and had some fun with a Motion Blur plug in and a Jitter plug in.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
The buttons are bland and the background for the header looks like you stuck in some colors on your canvas and had some fun with a Motion Blur plug in and a Jitter plug in.
That's better.

Anyway, the banner has changed MULTIPLE times. People weren't pleased with the gradient I intially had (a nice fade of colors), which I can agree with. However, the look of the current banner, in my opinion, is nice. It's got a "metallic-y" or "shimmery" look about it. It's cool.

Oh, and no motion blur was used. :p

-- it's not like that would be a bad thing.

perhaps I can add a character to the banner, near or around the logo?

Meh. i dunno.

I think it looks pretty polished as is now..

EDIT: I'll do a few different versions of the banner BG. As some people don't like it as currently is.

EDIT2: After talking with the guys, Neko and Yeroc, I have a good idea of what to do to "spice up" the banner. So... expect a multitude of different versions tomorrow. Each likely very different from the last. :)

night guys.....

NNID
Budget_Player
SMASH MODS: Home Screen
Now after Project Melee's tab has been selected

Here's my custom Smash Mods logo

I spent a good deal of time making sure the above logo looked "legit" as in, it looked like it could be mistaken for an official smash logo of sorts.

Anyway, the main screens of the mod tabs could contain caption boxes for various things such as "News," "latest vids," "new update," etc.

What do you guys think??? I really hope all of my hard work doesn't go unnoticed. Because I've seriously spent... hours upon hours on this stuff, refining each iteration with various people.

Thanks for your time.
Orca

P.s. if for whatever reason the links die I'll re-up them tomorrow.
All right. This is pretty good-looking; I like it. I kind of agree on the buttons, and there's one more big issue with the header background-if it isn't repeatable (as in, you can cut it into a small piece, or a small piece with a corner on each side) then it becomes impossible to make the site fluid (something that would be ideal IMO), and the background ends up taking up potentially quite a bit of bandwidth. So yeah, that has to be changed.

Other than that though, looking great. Thanks for working on this; I'm an absolute zero with photoshop and gfx work.

I'm liking the color concept.

You can scratch out that search box though. :V

Fill in some more and ill give more critique.
O.o

Beg your pardon search box? Why not, it's super useful.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
I think I know what you're talking about... Dant made a mock-up site of my first layout. I was curious what he used for a bg, so I clicked "show background image" and it showed a lil black rectangle that was about 4 pixels wide and 12 high. Something like that. I'm guessing this allows the size of the website's orientation to be fluid of dif screen resolutions, and browsers. However, the cost of this is a slightly less interesting banner, is that what we want? (keep in mind I'm planning on redoing the banner as is).

I think the fluidity idea would work, namely if a character became part of the overlay of the banner. It would surely spice up the feel of the banner.

I'm personally not bothered by fluidity. Smash boards for example doesn't scale with my resolution or browser, and it has never really bothered me.

What do you guys think? What direction do we want to go with this?

Oh yeah... And a search box is a no-brained IMO.

Top Bottom